Options

**** Pearl Jam Twenty Fanviews Here ****

Comments

• Options
    I didn't get a chance to buy the deluxe DVD before it sold out. Since you think it sucks I would be happy to buy it from you. PM me.
    "See the path cut by the moon..... For you to walk on."

Grand Rapids, MI 5/19/06
    EV Detroit, MI 6/26/11
    PJ 20 East Troy, WI 9/3/11
  • Options
    brainofT wrote:
    Finally recieved the deluxe DVD set. Soooo excited to get totally immersed in Pearl Jam after seeing them at Alpine for two days. The first disc being the actual movie, was good I would say, but definately not the scope of twenty years. Maybe the first ten at best. I did appreciate the rare glimpses into the early years. However, this band's coming of age is much more to me than making it through some early drama. Where is the story about the growth and creative process that has contributed to each new album since Vitology? What about the many other artists that Pearl Jam has toured and developed such endearing friendships with? There were some great points made with regard to their touring prowess made in "The Fans Are Alright" disc that should have made it into the movie. Soooo many people out there have no idea how great their albums and concerts have grown since Vitology and this film squanders the opportunity to showcase the true breadth and meaning this band brings to the dedicated fan. In other words, it could have been produced in a way that would show people what they have been missing out on all these years. The second disc, The Kids Are Twenty, was nothing more than a repeat of the concert footage shown in the film :( The third disc, The Fans Are Alright, was almost better than the movie itself. It did a great job of highlighting what is truely at the heart of why this band is more successful worldwide than it ever has been: Pearl Jam is a touring powerhouse and genuinely connects with their fans like no other current band does. PJ20 is a great film for those who only know Pearl Jam as the "90's grunge band". For me, this movie was fun only in the sense that I constantly crave to hear or see anything Pearl Jam. I look forward to seeing the next documentary which really digs into the heart of who this band is and what exactly goes into their creative process with each new studio session.

I got fucked on the deluxe dvd but i broke down and bought the regular dvd, (last one in my indie store and came with a cool extra!)..... good movie for newbies... two of my friends actually dug it... and are kinda now a little interested in pj, musicians too... but I agree with your post for the most part..
  • Options
    brainofT wrote:
    The second disc, The Kids Are Twenty, was nothing more than a repeat of the concert footage shown in the film

That's not all that disc was. Sure, it had the complete performances of the film included, but also in between most songs were scenes not included in the movie. You also get to see the Bridge School performance of Walk with Me, and after the credits you see the band going over what to play for an encore and then a really well shot performance of Of the Earth.

Also the bonus features show the first time Ed started climbing at a show and his commentary on it, Mike talking about Shadow along with some concert footage, and a video of a fan tackling Eddie during a performance of Even Flow.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    cincy74 wrote:
    brainofT wrote:
    The second disc, The Kids Are Twenty, was nothing more than a repeat of the concert footage shown in the film

That's not all that disc was. Sure, it had the complete performances of the film included, but also in between most songs were scenes not included in the movie. You also get to see the Bridge School performance of Walk with Me, and after the credits you see the band going over what to play for an encore and then a really well shot performance of Of the Earth.

Also the bonus features show the first time Ed started climbing at a show and his commentary on it, Mike talking about Shadow along with some concert footage, and a video of a fan tackling Eddie during a performance of Even Flow.

It also has Gonna See My Friend. I really, really like the kids are twenty disk
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    AmyMooreAmyMoore Posts: 139
    I'm sure this has already been mentioned; but, Given to Fly in the Fans are Twenty is from Verona, not from Pistoia.
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    I miss being back in Toronto for that weekend, watching this with yas in that second screening.

Or it woulda been the premiere, if I was a little smarter. Either way, miss being back in Toronto. Watching it alone at home just isn't the same.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    Really enjoyed the movie...good to see early stuff. LOVED The Kids are Twenty!!!! Still have to watch the last disc.
  • Options
    And shipping to Canada takes...?

I received a notice from Ten Club that my order would be shipped withing one day of notice.
    That notice came on November 2nd.
    Twelve days later... still anxiously waiting!
    I saw copies in the local music shop... but still a' waitin!
    "Hey Cliff... While We're young!"
  • Options
    A link to an interesting review of PJ20 film -

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/bl ... Jam-Twenty
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    The Oracle wrote:
    A link to an interesting review of PJ20 film -

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/bl ... Jam-Twenty

that's not a review, it's a blog.

i follow simon sweetman on fb, for my sins - he is so mean about pj -and eddie- it makes my blood boil! the link above is to a blog in response to simon's annoying blog about pj20 (which you do not want to read). today simons blog was about 'instruments you hate' - when i saw the title i just knew it was an excuse for him to have a dig at uke songs. i was right.

sorry, this is off topic. i haven't seen pj20 yet. when i do, i may post something here. or i may not.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    Pearl Jam 20 brought back memories from my teen years. It was a great film. Looking forward to another 20 years.
  • Options
    low lighterlow lighter Land down under Posts: 59
    I loved it! just got my deluxe copy on Wednesday and went straight to The fans are alright... it was brilliant, i just loved the fans speaking and their passion shining through, and they said things exactly how i felt yet so much better! The second guy who was the Dr. dude (sorry mate forgot your name) he was just brilliant, i made my best friend watch that part (non pj'er) to to show her the craziness and love we fans feel for the band, she thought it was very funny as well as a great explination and she said "god, its just not you, you are all like it" then she said "maybe you are not as crazy as i thought, or there are a whole lotta crazies out there too" of course it was said with love... anywho he was great, the disk was great and i thought it was a great touch for the fans :) The one and only critisism i have well not so much that.. one thing i wish they would have shown was the full version of bugs live, but beggers can't be choosers

The kids are Twent was good too...all in all i thought it was a great movie, great extras from a band we all love dearly.
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    cincy74 wrote:
    brainofT wrote:

The Of the Earth "Jam" session at the end of the disk is amazing, plus Mike's acoustic Given To Fly without vocals. :)
  • Options
    E.K wrote:
    cincy74 wrote:
    brainofT wrote:

The Of the Earth "Jam" session at the end of the disk is amazing, plus Mike's acoustic Given To Fly without vocals. :)

WELL SAID E.K. - That "Of the Earth" clip is THE musical highlight to me - takes me back to Cream, Hendrix days ... sounds awesome, the players are concentrated SO much, probably from the newness of playing the song - Mike appears most affected - but what struck me most was how good the band sounded with that song, and the feel of the song...makes me think I've underestimated them as musos (and I'm not a muso)...and this opinion is from ONE viewing only... I now understand the strength of thoughts on other threads about how good this song is!
  • Options
    Anybody know why Boom didnt have any part in the movie really??
  • Options
    I think this has been questioned on a couple of different posts... he's not really considered an official part of the band more just a member of the touring group
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    The Oracle wrote:
    E.K wrote:

WELL SAID E.K. - That "Of the Earth" clip is THE musical highlight to me - takes me back to Cream, Hendrix days ... sounds awesome, the players are concentrated SO much, probably from the newness of playing the song - Mike appears most affected - but what struck me most was how good the band sounded with that song, and the feel of the song...makes me think I've underestimated them as musos (and I'm not a muso)...and this opinion is from ONE viewing only... I now understand the strength of thoughts on other threads about how good this song is!

Do you ever get up to Byron for Bluesfest? I've been going since we moved up north from Sydney 3 years ago. Lineup is great so far for next year. I think you'd enjoy it.

http://www.bluesfest.com.au
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    When I'm watching the PJ20 Movie...
    Why do I ALWAYS stop everything I'm doing,
    and crank the volume WAY UP when the
    RELEASE
    segment comes on??? :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Pearl Jam 20, bro!
  • Options
    E.K wrote:
    The Oracle wrote:
    E.K wrote:

Do you ever get up to Byron for Bluesfest? I've been going since we moved up north from Sydney 3 years ago. Lineup is great so far for next year. I think you'd enjoy it.

http://www.bluesfest.com.au

Have thought about it, yeah, but doubt I'll be there...good line-up there but the only artist I'd be really keen on seeing would be Buddy Guy...oh, and CS & N if Uncle Neil was with them!!! But thanks anyway.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I finally got to watch all of the parts. My cat died the day it was on PBS, and I just couldn't watch it, despite planning for weeks to see it.

But anyway, I spent Thanksgiving weekend watching all of it - I loved it! So much great footage. I got just as scared as I always do, seeing footage of Ed climbing. We know he's still with us, but I always feel like is he going to make it when I'm watching him up there like spiderman. Honestly I"m glad he doesn't do it anymore.

I know a lot of people felt certain things should have been mentioned more, or less, but I felt like the parts about Andy were really important - this was a 'how it all began' and 'how they got from there to here' sort of film. I liked hearing what Jeff had to say on various topics.

I'm sure I'll have more to say after watching everything again. I liked seeing footage of several shows I'd been at - its just cool to watch and think 'I was there'! (Philly 10/30/09 MSG 5/21/10 at least)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Got my PJ20 three DVD set on Friday. After the kids were in bed each night, my husband and I sat down and watched a DVD. It was fantastic. Loved each one. The movie was an excellent. Cameron Crowe who first introduced me to Pearl Jam etc. with Singles, did a great job. The bonus stuff and the two extra DVDs were incredible - especially the Fan Stats!. Recharged my soul and left me feeling 25 again. Thanks.
  • Options
    over50fanover50fan Posts: 18
    edited November 2011
    to Jeff, Stone, Ed, Mike and Matt, and Kelly too, THANK YOU!, for keeping it real for the first twenty years! and can't wait for the next twenty! and Thanks to Cameron, Jonathan and Mark (and all involved) for the DVD and Book. Peace and Luv to all!!
    Post edited by over50fan on
    Later, Lolly
  • Options
    derbydave wrote:
    RELEASE
    :lol: Why? I don't know, cuz I do the same thing!
    Later, Lolly
  • Options
    EvieVedderEvieVedder NW Indiana Posts: 461
    over50fan wrote:
    derbydave wrote:
    RELEASE
    :lol: Why? I don't know, cuz I do the same thing!

Me too! I do the same thing with WOTR when ARC comes on. Pure Heaven.
    Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones...
  • Options
    Now that I've had the chance to watch/listen/re-live/dance/laugh/cry/SMILE along with 'Pearl Jam: Twenty', I feel I can accurately review my thoughts and feelings about it:

Fucking amazing job by Mr. Crowe, along with the people that were around before there was a Pearl Jam to speak of, and those that are still along for the ride. I know that a great deal of people think that too much focus was put on the beginnings of the band, and while I'm also a fan of their No Code/Yield days through their last couple of records, I think it was important how perfect an alignment of events it was that this band became. It was through an unbelievable series of happenings and encounters [fortunate or tragic] that these guys met and made amazing music from day #1! I do wish the film had been maybe 2 1/2 or 3 hrs. long, then the middle years could have been more deeply portrayed, but as far as the major events and evolution of the group, I thought the director did the best he could to tell those stories as well.

I especially liked the live montage at the end with 'Alive' [goosebumps], the part where Eddie gains a little confidence thanks to some asshole bouncer who looked like he was afraid of an impending riot while Ed sings a hole directly through his soul, and where Neil Young tells them "Do what YOU want. Fuck everyone else."

Altogether, great documentary...even if I wasn't a fan, or maybe a bit more on casual fan status, I think I'd still appreciate this film for all that it is. I'm about a quarter-way through the book right now, and it's even better! Here's to 20+ more years from the best damn band in the land! CHEERS
    PJ: Toledo-9/22/96. E. Lansing-8/18/98. Detroit-8/23/98. Detroit-10/7/00. Detroit-6/25 & 6/26/03. Toledo-10/2/04 [VFC]. Detroit-5/22/06. Chicago-8/5/07 [Lolla]. Cleveland-5/9/10. Baltimore-10/27/13.

EV: Honolulu-4/21 & 4/22/07 [Kokua]. Detroit-6/26/11.
  • Options
    I saw PJ20 in the theater and thought it was really similar to The Kids Are Alright (1978). In the fact that it was a series of historical performances dating back to the groups first televised or filmed performances. The difference in both PJ20 and The Kids Are Alright is that the Who had been around for less amount of time 1963-1977 in the time of that films making and release. Pearl Jam has been making music and history for the past 20 years and so it would require more introspective moments produced either by the band or Crowe. None of these possibilities took place nor were they a focal point in PJ20. I value the fact that privacy for each member of Pearl Jam was and is important for their existence. They should never compromise that but I do think the film could have been more generous with pre-existing interviews of the band to fill in the historical gaps. It would simply be history speaking for itself just like the music. The Music isn't enough in a documentary about a complex band like The WHo and so The Kids Are Alright also included historical interview footage that gave the audience an insight to the band members role in their own practice. PJ20 lacked this even with the recent interviews because there is too much time to cover in 2 hours. It would have benefited by simply using archival interviews to set the mode of what we would be appreciating other than the great live music.

The significance of PJ20 is still reeling with me. It is an important film. My criticism of some of the direction the band or Cameron Crowe took regarding insight or interviews in the film are important because it is the one component lacking in the film. It is like watching the film The Wiz but not having the actual Wizard behind the curtain. Having little input from the creators, the alchemists of the phenomenon known to us as Pearl Jam. So some of us may settle for the music only. Some of us may want to further our experience with insights into the production of compositions or performances. The evolution of albums not spoken much in the documentary or songs written by Mike, Stone or Jeff. More info regarding the importance of Boom Gaspar, the Hawaiian brother whose enlightened us with his knowledge for everything from Western Classical to American Rock and transcendental Polynesian/ Hawaiian Mele. Is it no wonder Eddie Vedder plays the traditional Hawaiian ukulele with such passion and conviction.

One topic or issue that is personally and extremely problematic is that fact that many Pearl Jam fans have been selling their fan only PJ20 DVD set from prices ranging from $300-$800. I admire Pearl Jam and have been devoted to their music since I first heard in in the Spring of 1991. I may not have always been a subscriber to the club and have problems with the word "fan" short for fanatic but passion for their music is not my short supply. Rather, I intentionally keep myself from having so much direct access to their music or information because its also important for everything to resonate in its own speed. This may be part of the reason why I thought it important that more historical interviews be included in PJ20 rather than the recent sparse interviews given by the band members. So now the Pearl Jam fans have resorted to selling the one box set that was made for them and not anyone else. The limited edition box set that Pearl Jam approved for their followers, the fans are now on sale for hundreds of dollars. What does that say of the followers? the fans? the committed subscribers? Money not the band is more important to them. Not a philosophy or ideology or belief in a support system set by Pearl Jam but a monetary and personal gains approach set by some of its fans. It is sad to see these box sets online being auctioned off for so much money. Reminds me of the scene in the PJ documentary of the photographer caught scalping tickets for hundreds in Australia (1995). He was flawless in his shame and through his lies we could see his motive. This band was not for him to cover or for him to experience because he didn't value their beliefs or ideology.

"this is not for you"

-Pearl Jam (Vitology: 1994)
  • Options
    What I don't understand is, if they went through the trouble of making the bonus discs, why would they limit the amount of people who see it? Why wouldn't they include those discs with every set or at least keep producing them to order? That's very easy to do with dvd/blu-ray production.

You can't blame people for selling their limited edition blu-ray or dvd set. If you buy something for $70 and know you can get $500 for it, it's extremely tempting. I'd be tempted if I bought one, especially this time of year. Some of those backpacks were sold for $1000 or more on ebay! The band is CREATING a secondary market when they put out "limited edition" merchandise. They should stop doing it. I can understand it with posters because artists do not want to over-produce those, but general merchandise should not be limited like it has been lately. They've done everything they can to prevent ticket scalping. Now they need to look at their merchandising and do the same thing. It's hypocritical. But I for one don't really care. If someone pays $1000 for a backpack they only have themselves to blame.
  • Options
    slightly off track...but can anone enlighten me as to wha was with the white coats on eddie dvd water on the road...i feel like i missed something :D
  • Options
    suze b wrote:
    slightly off track...but can anone enlighten me as to wha was with the white coats on eddie dvd water on the road...i feel like i missed something :D

my typing is pants at this time of night!