Options

Is it me or is $75 for a solo ticket expensive?

Comments

• Options
    pkh43pkh43 Posts: 253
    way to expensive
  • Options
    distantsundistantsun Posts: 265
    i don't think $75 is a lot for a show at a lot of these more intimate, special venues. i think what we should be looking at is what we're getting for the $75.

apologies in advance to those who will surely freak about this.
    this post has been approved by grace6697.
  • Options
    Vedderman51Vedderman51 Posts: 606
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    things that have gotten more expensive that Eddie has to buy when he tours:

-Gas
    -Wine
    -Weed
    -Rogaine

A dollar just doesn't go as far as it used to.

Rogaine! ha ha ha ha
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    distantsun wrote:
    i don't think $75 is a lot for a show at a lot of these more intimate, special venues. i think what we should be looking at is what we're getting for the $75.

apologies in advance to those who will surely freak about this.

$75 isn't enough for a Jamily Poster on ebay or expressobeans.com!!!!
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    It was $65 only a few months ago in April, but I guess Ed struggled to make ends meet and had to bump it up ;)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    EasyEEasyE Posts: 66
    $150 plus add-ons for two tickets to a solo, intimate E.V. show is fair given Vedder's fame and the high ticket demand in major cities.

But, most longtime Vedder and Pearl Jam fans recall the days of reasonable ticket prices and the band's heroic effort to battle T. Master. That battle and the former reasonable Pearl Jam ticket prices were pretty sweet. Felt like the band cared about the average middle-class fan.

Take that feeling and add in the staggering inflation of the prices for basic goods and you've got a recipe for fan anger. I think that anger is fair too.

Thirdly, the $75-plus price sort of undercuts Vedder's authenticity on songs like "Millworker."

My point: I can accept the price but it is a serious buzz kill and diminishes Vedder a bit.
  • Options
    Yeah, because Jeff is worth WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than $15!

True dat, sister!
  • Options
    this is such a ridiculous debate. it's 2008. he is a huge fucking star. he is not playing for college kids.

is it worth $75 to you?

that is the *real* question here.
  • Options
    Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    red mos wrote:
    I'd gladly pay $75 bucks to see ed solo or Pearl jam but I live in Texas which they haven't played a show in in 5 years. :(
    Texas has tons of small venues Ed could play at.
    Verizon wireless in Houston
    The Ridglea in Ft worth would be another great place
    not too familiar with small venues in Austin or San Antone but I know there are some just don't know the names of some smaller ones.

But, Ed does not do any George Strait covers does he?
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • Options
    EasyE wrote:
    But, most longtime Vedder and Pearl Jam fans recall the days of reasonable ticket prices and the band's heroic effort to battle T. Master. That battle and the former reasonable Pearl Jam ticket prices were pretty sweet. Felt like the band cared about the average middle-class fan.

You are right! That EV of 1994 is gone, dead, RIP. I find it hilarious when Vedder lectures us in concert about "Green Disease" etc etc when he's after a buck just as much as anybody. I'm not saying that'd good or bad, it just is what it is. It's even more hilarious when Jamily try to wrap today's Ed in 1994 clothing, saying he's still that way when he's clearly not.

Vedder is not some hippie, "above" the whole making shitloads of green thing. They are closer to U2 at this point and people need to accept that.

As far as this tour's prices, EV is a legend, and apparently he knows it and is charging this because he can. And like someone else said, this will justify the $90 tickets for the next PJ tour.
  • Options
    fanch, stop egging them on!!!
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    this is such a ridiculous debate. it's 2008. he is a huge fucking star. he is not playing for college kids.

is it worth $75 to you?

that is the *real* question here.

Personally, I'm okay with it, just interesting how 'leg 2' a couple of months later all of a sudden costs $10 more..perhaps due to the addition of backup singers?

Eddie Vedder April Fools Tour

Eddie Vedder will embark on a small, west coast, solo tour beginning April 2nd in Vancouver, BC and ending April 15th in San Diego, CA (full list of tour dates below).

Ten Club pre-sale tickets will go up for purchase on
    http://www.tenclub.net/goods/ beginning at 10am PST on Monday, February 18,
    2008. There are a very limited amount of tickets, so once sold out through
    the Ten Club, your next available chance to purchase tickets will be during
    the public on-sale.

Tickets for the general public will go on sale on Friday, February 22nd at
    10am* PST through http://www.ticketmaster.com and all Ticketmaster outlets. (*Note:
    Santa Barbara goes on sale Friday, February 29th at 10am PST).

Fan Club members active as of Feb. 14th will qualify for the 10c pre-sale.
    Due to the limited amount of fan club tickets available only US and Canadian
    members will qualify for the pre-sale. We apologize to our overseas members!

Two (2) tickets per member only. No single tickets. Ten Club tickets for the
    EV tour will NOT be seniority based. Tickets will be held in priority
    locations, but seat allocation will be chosen at random. The base ticket
    price for all shows is $65 per ticket, plus additional venue and handling
    fees.
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    I'm hoping for a Boom action figure. The limited edition comes with a big screen behind him that says "Unnecessary."
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Personally, I'm okay with it, just interesting how 'leg 2' a couple of months later all of a sudden costs $10 more..perhaps due to the addition of backup singers?

Eddie Vedder April Fools Tour

Eddie Vedder will embark on a small, west coast, solo tour beginning April 2nd in Vancouver, BC and ending April 15th in San Diego, CA (full list of tour dates below).

Ten Club pre-sale tickets will go up for purchase on
    http://www.tenclub.net/goods/ beginning at 10am PST on Monday, February 18,
    2008. There are a very limited amount of tickets, so once sold out through
    the Ten Club, your next available chance to purchase tickets will be during
    the public on-sale.

Tickets for the general public will go on sale on Friday, February 22nd at
    10am* PST through http://www.ticketmaster.com and all Ticketmaster outlets. (*Note:
    Santa Barbara goes on sale Friday, February 29th at 10am PST).

Fan Club members active as of Feb. 14th will qualify for the 10c pre-sale.
    Due to the limited amount of fan club tickets available only US and Canadian
    members will qualify for the pre-sale. We apologize to our overseas members!

Two (2) tickets per member only. No single tickets. Ten Club tickets for the
    EV tour will NOT be seniority based. Tickets will be held in priority
    locations, but seat allocation will be chosen at random. The base ticket
    price for all shows is $65 per ticket, plus additional venue and handling
    fees.

i think that 1) ten dollars is not a big deal, certainly not enough money to warrant the suspicion of some sort of scheme and 2) everything on the east coast costs more.
  • Options
    distantsun wrote:
    i think that 1) ten dollars is not a big deal, certainly not enough money to warrant the suspicion of some sort of scheme and 2) everything on the east coast costs more.

Thank you for the clarification :)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    It feels very uncomfortable to pay close to $100 to stand in a room full of drunk middle-class white people and sing along to EV's protest songs about war and poverty.

"We hate the war! We hate it so much, we're giving our money to... the beer vendors and EV's retirement fund!"
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • Options
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    It feels very uncomfortable to pay close to $100 to stand in a room full of drunk middle-class white people and sing along to EV's protest songs about war and poverty.

"We hate the war! We hate it so much, we're giving our money to... the beer vendors and EV's retirement fund!"

OMGzzzzzzzz!

LOLzzzzzz!!!!

asdf;asdjkl;asdfjk;l

BBQ
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    Berkeley II was incredible!!! I'd snap that 180gram vinyl up in a minute if it was offered (wishful thinking). What's goin' on mR. 'Dweller?? Did you hit up any of the East coast shows by chance??

Hoping for a West coast announcement in a month or two...!!

Hope all is goin' well bro!

Gonna be movin' to the south, south side of SJ in about 3 weeks so we should try and hook up one evening soon.

Peace,

RM

I went to the DC show, and my companies IR conference is in Boston, I get in town at 3pm Friday, AUG 1st. So I'm going to see Ed again, lol. I few of my peers from work are going also.

Yeah, give me a ring, I'm in Campbell, a block off of San Thomas and Hamilton.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    I changed my mind, YES, $75 is too much, everyone stay home, I'll go and take the $75 hit for all of us. Just Ed singing "No More" and me in the audience blaring the chorus back to him :D

your friend,

beachdweller
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    If you are still in school, $75 is a lot.

That said, I'm not in school and have a job, so I will see you at the Chicago shows.
  • Options
    fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 194
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    much like pj. ed assumes you've bettered yourself over the last 17 years.

Why is it only about those people?
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    BrainOfJD wrote:

Awesome, don't go. More tickets for me to chant antiwar songs to piss you off
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    smithnic wrote:
    Awesome, don't go. More tickets for me to chant antiwar songs to piss you off
    I hope he reworks No More so the song itself is good... I dont care about the message one way or the other but I just want the song to not suck ;)

Seriously though - if he brings the backup singers I'm going to combust. No joke - I've sat through enough of them for 10 lifetimes!
  • Options
    fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 194
    BrainOfJD wrote:

There's alot of Truth to this statement.
  • Options
    fluff4u wrote:
    There's alot of Truth to this statement.

If you didn't go to the shows out West you may THINK this is the truth. But I will add some Facts.

He only played No More and said very little else about the war in SB which is a very ANTI War/Bush crowd.

The setlist is great, the whole night was memorable and plus look up how much concert tickets are for other acts at the same venue and compare.

Tom Petty played the Arlington a week later with his old band Mudcrutch and the tickets were around the same price. And they didn't even play Tom Petty songs.

If you don't want to pay then don't go but its not a sign of Eddie trying to take all of your money. If that was the case the tickets would be $150 and they would still sell out with ease.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    I'm sure they will be nice shows but $75 is waaaay too expensive for me. With fees, we're talkin $170 per pair. If I hadn't just seen 4 amazing PJ shows (and paid well over $1000 for tickets, lodging, gas, posters, shirt, etc etc etc), I'd probably go.

But I'm sure every show will be sold out and Ebay will have tickets for double face, so they are probably priced about right.

I'm glad I got to see Ed sing Guaranteed in VA Beach, that was definitely a highlight.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451
    If people didn't start stealing so much music, bands could still make money selling records, and ticket prices would have stayed a bit lower.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,854
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    If people didn't start stealing so much music, bands could still make money selling records, and ticket prices would have stayed a bit lower.

I think the 16.99 and 17.99 prices on cd's at places like HMV definitely played a part into people stealing music. FYE is a total joke and rip-off too. Thankfully HMV is out of business here, and smaller indie record joints like Newbury Comics sell cds at relatively affordable prices, and not 18 dollars for a new cd.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    BrainOfJD wrote:

So Ed should play for free? For $10? What is a fair price?

Also, I don't know if you checked the setlists from the West Coast tour, but I wouldn't exactly call it chock full of war protest songs ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451
    I think the 16.99 and 17.99 prices on cd's at places like HMV definitely played a part into people stealing music. FYE is a total joke and rip-off too. Thankfully HMV is out of business here, and smaller indie record joints like Newbury Comics sell cds at relatively affordable prices, and not 18 dollars for a new cd.

Seems like all of the good record shops are going out of business. People need to realize that when they go to Bestbuy, they get a good deal, but they also weaken the future of indie record shops. Eventually, we will have fewer choices.