Options

Is it me or is $75 for a solo ticket expensive?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    digster wrote:

They could certainly do this tour for a cheaper ticket price, .

On the flip side, they could certainly do this tour for a more expensive ticket price, and still sell out every venue (check out the prices on StubHub). ... So I'd like to thank Ed for apparently agreeing to charge a much lower price than he is worth.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    On the flip side, they could certainly do this tour for a more expensive ticket price, and still sell out every venue (check out the prices on StubHub). ... So I'd like to thank Ed for apparently agreeing to charge a much lower price than he is worth.

Very very true.
    Just me
  • Options
    hathnonamehathnoname Posts: 16

Imagine this post back in 95 and 96. It would have made every fan on this board vomit.
    07-11-98, 07-13-98, 07-14-98, 10-30-00, 10-31-00, 06-01-03, 06-02-03, 06-03-03, 06-05-03,
    06-06-03, 10-23-04, 07-09-06, 07-15-06, 07-16-06, 07-18-06.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293

I don't know about this at all. I do know that Pearl Jam and Eddie are very bankable, but one of the things I respect most about them is how they put the fans first, even though it wasn't always the easiest option. I strongly appreciate bands and artists who are willing to not charge top dollar, because they know that it can be difficult for fans without much money to make these concerts. What gets me going is the attitude like the post I responded to before, where there was some comment about how the band doesn't "play for college kids", with the assumption being that since those kids don't have much money, they're shit out of luck. What a ridiculous way of seeing things; without those broke college kids and high school students this band would not be nearly as popular as it is today...you think Ten sales shot through the roof due to baby boomers?

One of my favorite quotes from the band is from Stone during the Ticketmaster testimony of 1994...I thought it was very eloquent, stuck with me and explains my viewpoint far better than I ever could..."Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert. Although, given our popularity, we could undoubtedly continue to sell-out our concerts with ticket prices at that premium level, we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans. Moreover, we do not want to be responsible for teenagers, who may be influenced by peer pressure to feel that they must see Pearl Jam perform, spending more money for that concert ticket than they can really afford. All of the members of Pearl Jam remember what it is like not to have a lot of money, and we recognize that a teenager's perceived need to see his or her favorite band in concert can often be overwhelming."

For many acts, it seems like these words aren't very applicable. I just hope it doesn't become inapplicable for eddie vedder and pearl jam.
  • Options
    hathnoname wrote:
    Imagine this post back in 95 and 96. It would have made every fan on this board vomit.

I was being a little tongue in cheek there, in the midst of all the ridiculous criticism ... but the point remains he could choose to charge double what he is and still sell out every show on this tour. He isn't. I'm not really saying he deserves a pat on the back for that, but he doesn't deserve the criticism, either.

It's a small venue show. Seating is very, very limited. I don't think most people here grasp that.
  • Options
    digster wrote:

One of my favorite quotes from the band is from Stone during the Ticketmaster testimony of 1994...I thought it was very eloquent, stuck with me and explains my viewpoint far better than I ever could..."Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert. Although, given our popularity, we could undoubtedly continue to sell-out our concerts with ticket prices at that premium level, we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans. Moreover, we do not want to be responsible for teenagers, who may be influenced by peer pressure to feel that they must see Pearl Jam perform, spending more money for that concert ticket than they can really afford. All of the members of Pearl Jam remember what it is like not to have a lot of money, and we recognize that a teenager's perceived need to see his or her favorite band in concert can often be overwhelming."

For many acts, it seems like these words aren't very applicable. I just hope it doesn't become inapplicable for eddie vedder and pearl jam.

No. 1 -- That quote is almost 15 years old. Things change. I'd hate for people to still be holding things against me I said or did in 1994.

No. 2 -- I know you don't like to hear it, but PJ/Ed's core audience isn't teenagers and college kids anymore. Yes, there are some, and it sucks they are outpriced here, but them's the breaks. You'll notice, even 15 years ago according to your stone quote there, that the band's concern was putting concerts out of reach of "most of our fans." "Most" of Pearl Jam's fans these days can afford a $75 ticket. I don't mean to be rude or condescending to the college boys out there, but it's just a fact.

And what you'll notice is that Ed and the band STILL are demonstrating some kind of restraint. They are a lot less than supply and demand would dictate. Look at the StubHub prices, and see if you can find any for less than double face value.
  • Options
    You either want to go or not, this question suggests you don't really want to., be thankful he's coming towards you.... regardless of the price i'd go....
    formerly the artist known as MASSIVEOZPJFAN
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    welcome to the present

Hahaha. You sound like my kids. Wait -- you aren't one of my kids, are you? :D
  • Options
    jimbeejimbee Posts: 81
    catwoman wrote:
    At the risk of sounding naive, how can there be tickets on StubHub for specific rows before the sale even begins? Who are these people & how did they get tickets to sell?

stubhub and the likes of professional scalpers typically do not physically hold tickets....they match up a seller and a buyer and charge a fee for the "matchmaking".... they deal off of speculation/futures that are not that different from legitimate commodities...event demand also plays into their price structure...so the answer is, don't create the demand and these guys disappear..unfortunately, in the land of "ME ME ME..NOW NOW NOW"...this is not likely to change anytime soon....also keep in mind that for every event, don't be sucked into believing that every seat is available to the public...venue, promotor, band,guido, etc....all take their cut prior to public onsale..you will never know the actual pool unless there is a spanish inquisition...when allottments are not used and returned, they hit the open market..that's why it's best to always check ticketshitmaster often before the event to see what may have been released....
    * Friends don't let friends use MP3 *
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation, jimbee. I've looked at Red Sox tickets at some of these sites, and I can't believe the prices, and cant believe that people are willing to pay almost 10 times face value for a ticket.
  • Options
    jimbeejimbee Posts: 81
    this is the one area where patience is actually a virtue....especially sporting events...as long as you won't regret not attending the event for the rest of your life..and especially sporting events...the price nose dives once the event begins..these guys do not want to eat their loss, so they will unload if they feel they won't be able to sell...it really is comical to watch their demeanor change when that ticket becomes a worthless piece of paper!
    * Friends don't let friends use MP3 *
  • Options
    I was trying to get Red Sox tix as a present for my daughter while she was in college in Boston, so I unfortunately couldn't wait for the day of the game (I'm in MD). I never bought them from those scalpers, though. I learned to wait until the tickets went on sale for the season, and get whatever I could find on the Sox's website. She had some pretty interesting obstructed view seats & SRO games!
  • Options
    EasyEEasyE Posts: 66
    This thread is compelling.

Here's a question: If you scored two E.V. tickets for $170, would you consider reselling them and, if so, for how much?

My answer: Yes. I'd sell at $670 or more.

Why that's compelling: The Vedder solo show in Boston is the performance I've been hoping for since 1996. Now, I'd give away my chance for $500 profit. Faahkinaay. That pisses me off. I'm pissing myself off. Nice.

Good thread.

Oh, one other question: Will the high ticket prices lead to audience fights? Meaning, "I paid to hear Eddie sing, not you buddy."
  • Options
    EasyE wrote:
    This thread is compelling.

Here's a question: If you scored two E.V. tickets for $170, would you consider reselling them and, if so, for how much?

No. Money buys experiences. What better experience could I possibly be buying with the profits?