Options

Is it me or is $75 for a solo ticket expensive?

Comments

• Options
    BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    So Ed should play for free? For $10? What is a fair price?

Also, I don't know if you checked the setlists from the West Coast tour, but I wouldn't exactly call it chock full of war protest songs ...

My point is that when Ed takes a break for a 10 minute stand about something he believes during a 2.5 hour beer-swilling rock n' roll party, it makes him look like a self-serving dilettante. Either do it for real or don't do it at all. If he doesn't like the war, get out there and do something besides singing one song and making a mealy-mouthed 2-minute speech.

There was a time not so long ago when EV and the band took stances on things they believed in even though it made the crowd angry (eg, Bushleaguer 2003). Or when it hurt their bottom line (ticketmaster fight). Now we're shelling out almost $100 for a sanitized Pearl Jam, Inc. Experience (TM).

Look, they're a good band and I had fun at the shows this year. But I can't help feeling like they're slowly turning into a parody of themselves. It kinda galls me to pay through the nose just to watch the slow transformation.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    My point is that when Ed takes a break for a 10 minute stand about something he believes during a 2.5 hour beer-swilling rock n' roll party, it makes him look like a self-serving dilettante. Either do it for real or don't do it at all. If he doesn't like the war, get out there and do something besides singing one song and making a mealy-mouthed 2-minute speech.

There was a time not so long ago when EV and the band took stances on things they believed in even though it made the crowd angry (eg, Bushleaguer 2003). Or when it hurt their bottom line (ticketmaster fight). Now we're shelling out almost $100 for a sanitized Pearl Jam, Inc. Experience (TM).

Look, they're a good band and I had fun at the shows this year. But I can't help feeling like they're slowly turning into a parody of themselves. It kinda galls me to pay through the nose just to watch the slow transformation.

So you're complaining that he's now singing a song that's anti-war and calling for the good-old days where he was singing a song that's anti-war? And I love when people round from $75 to $100. I really don't know if this post was even serious or not.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 193
    If you didn't go to the shows out West you may THINK this is the truth. But I will add some Facts.

He only played No More and said very little else about the war in SB which is a very ANTI War/Bush crowd.

The setlist is great, the whole night was memorable and plus look up how much concert tickets are for other acts at the same venue and compare.

Tom Petty played the Arlington a week later with his old band Mudcrutch and the tickets were around the same price. And they didn't even play Tom Petty songs.

If you don't want to pay then don't go but its not a sign of Eddie trying to take all of your money. If that was the case the tickets would be $150 and they would still sell out with ease.

It's not about the Anti-War comments that doesn't bother me I like it. What I get out of that comment was that Are Pearl Jam (Eddie Vedder) staying true to what they preach.? That's it, I'm not out to say he's not worth it...or compare him to other musicans and the prices they ask for. I always held Pearl Jam in a differant league than the rest of the big named rockers and I think what some of of the people are feeling or seeing is a shift from that. That's it.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    over_bends wrote:
    And I love when people round from $75 to $100.

Forget about service charges? Tickets end up being $90-$100 after those.
  • Options
    Having went to the LA solo show I would say it is completely worth $75 bucks to see Eddie. One of the best shows I'd say I've ever seen(besides PJ shows). Now get em all back on the west coast!!!!!!!!!
    “Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And it is something you give away.”
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    edited October 2020

At the risk of sounding naive, how can there be tickets on StubHub for specific rows before the sale even begins? Who are these people & how did they get tickets to sell?
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    catwoman wrote:
    At the risk of sounding naive, how can there be tickets on StubHub for specific rows before the sale even begins? Who are these people & how did they get tickets to sell?

Not to mention selling for $650 each for row T
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    BrainOfJD wrote:

What in God's name are you talking about?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    dont know if this has been mentioned, aint gonna bother reading through all this....but

for $77 i got to see pearl jam @ msg. you know. the whole band, a really neat lighting show and they played for close to 3 hours both nights.

in april, i saw ev in berkely for $65 i think? played around an hour and a half. no fancy lights, no BOOOOOOOOOOOM.

so, whats my point? i will GLADLY pay $75 to not see you douche bags high-fiving each other every time a song from ten is played.
  • Options
    Down1Down1 Posts: 40
    yeah but let's be real. Eddie (or anyone) solo with just an acoustic guitar isn't worth what a full-on band is.

$75 plus additional fees for an Eddie show is very expensive if you ask me. I'm sure he puts on a great show. I've heard the Berkley boot. But $75? that's a lot for just a guy with a guitar.

Believe me...the Ed solo ticket was worth the $75...it was more than just a guy with a guitar, it was truly an experience. We saw Ed in Vancouver, and it was amazing--he sang PJ songs, ITW songs and covers--all very intimate due to the small venue, and you felt like he was singing just to you.

Pay the $$--you'll regret it if you don't!
    Memorial 7/21/98, MGM 10/22/00, Key 11/5&6/00, EV Showbox 7/9/01, Key(Groundworks)10/22/01, Showbox 12/6/02, Key 12/8&9/02, MSG 7/9/03, Benaroya 10/22/03, Gorge 9/1/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Gorge II 7/23/06, EV Vancouver 4/08, San Fran 8/28/09, Key 9/21&22/09, EV Benaroya 7/15&16/11
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    Look, they're a good band and I had fun at the shows this year. But I can't help feeling like they're slowly turning into a parody of themselves.

I don't think they are anything close to that yet, but sometimes I look at bands like the Eagles who charge ridiculous prices for tickets and the crowd is filled with 50-something executives and I think, please don't let that ever be PJ.

One thing that struck me about this tour was Verizon's sponsorship -- I wonder how Ed feels about the stacks of big glossy ads that were handed out after all the shows? Didn't seem very "green" to me.

I've never been one of the fans who bought into their politics or linked my enjoyment of the music to any kind of belief, but one thing I can't ignore is hypocrisy. I'm hoping this stuff isn't a trend.
  • Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    WWS wrote:
    Not to mention selling for $650 each for row T

Dont know where these guys get their tickets, but I guess there is always a way. I saw tickets on stub hub pretty early for the PJ tour
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    whichwaysignwhichwaysign Posts: 229
    Fair market value as far as I'm concerned
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    catwoman wrote:
    season passes to the theaters.

they started doing this about 10 years ago.

welcome to the present
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    dont know if this has been mentioned, aint gonna bother reading through all this....but

for $77 i got to see pearl jam @ msg. you know. the whole band, a really neat lighting show and they played for close to 3 hours both nights.

in april, i saw ev in berkely for $65 i think? played around an hour and a half. no fancy lights, no BOOOOOOOOOOOM.

so, whats my point? i will GLADLY pay $75 to not see you douche bags high-fiving each other every time a song from ten is played.
    ed played 30 songs in an 1 1/2 hours? wow
  • Options
    matt770 wrote:
    but one thing I can't ignore is hypocrisy. I'm hoping this stuff isn't a trend.
    everyone is a hypocrite. but you just keep calling out the band. (btw it was 100% recycled paper)
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Because it is $75. In your relative situation it may be a lot of money, but in actuality it isn't. I realize how I may sound, but I don't care. Ed isn't touring for college kids.

Look, the deal is Eddie is charging this money because he can, because he knows he has a fanbase in each city that will be willing to pay that amount of money to see him. So all these excuses, saying it’s for other reasons than that are just that; excuses that are likely not the truth. If Eddie’s fanbase was unwilling or unable to buy tickets for this amount of money, the tickets would not be 75 dollars. Although I think it goes against the image of Eddie as the people’s musician (this certainly isn’t something Ian Mackaye would do, for example), I don’t think it’s important enough to rail about it forever. I will however note that one of the reasons I may be unable to see Eddie is that I spent what little money I’ve been able to save on other tickets for bands like R.E.M., Dave Matthews Band, My Morning Jacket, Wilco, and Radiohead. Funny trivia, all of these bands cost less than Eddie will. That’s I think is a little extreme, when I’m able to get pretty close to the stage for some of the most popular critically-acclaimed bands of our time and may be shut out of an acoustic performance. However, Eddie can charge what he wants, and the West Coast tour obviously showed there will be a demand for it.

However, what pisses me off are posts like this one, this high-and-mighty bullshit. Eddie’s “not playing for college kids?” Who the hell do you think gave this band their start in the first place? It was high-schoolers and college kids, teenagers and twenty-somethings, all of them without much money. This band was not so high and mighty then. What changed? Well, many of those broke teenagers became successful upper/middle class employees, who then became supervisors, so on and so forth. In short, you got money. Congratulations. But before you spout arrogant nonsense like you did, think about how there are many teenagers and college kids who may like Pearl Jam, and may go to a concert, but will now not go considering the prices. Last I heard, Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam don’t play for only certain people that have a certain amount of money in their bank account. I just wonder sometimes how people got to be fans of such a political and socially-oriented band when you can post something like that. Pretty ridiculous.

Sincerely,

One of those broke college kids that Eddie isn’t touring for
  • Options
    jhinkle1114jhinkle1114 Posts: 207
    It's a little pricey as that's what I paid to see the whole band, but I'll still bite assuming I can get Ten Club tickets. It's not a lot of money to me, and just the nature of playing in these theaters that tend to charge more for shows than bigger venues (less capacity, charge more).
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II
  • Options
    I just wish he was coming to Detroit.
  • Options
    It's a little pricey as that's what I paid to see the whole band, but I'll still bite assuming I can get Ten Club tickets. It's not a lot of money to me, and just the nature of playing in these theaters that tend to charge more for shows than bigger venues (less capacity, charge more).

The flip side of that coin is that there is also far less expense necessary for a solo show than for a band show. Think of how many guitar and drum techs are necessary for a band show; Stone and Mike go through maybe a dozen guitars each per show, if not more. All Ed needs for 99 percent of the show is the guitar, uke, mandolin. Additionally, you'll need one or two buses at most compared to the 20+ needed for band shows. Granted, alot of this is conjecture, but it must be far less expensive to do a one-man theater show than a loud arena rock show with six band members.
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    All I can say after seeing Ed both nights at Berkeley, $75 is 100% worth it for "the experience." It is an "experience," be very sure of that. You will walk out of there dragging your jaw on the ground. Get there early, see Liam, and settle into your chair for an awakening. Ed is the truth.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    This whole thread sort of pisses me off. MUSIC IS A BUSINESS FOR MUSICIANS.
    Eddie likely doesn't choose the ticket prices.
    His manager likely goes over the expenses, looks at economic trends and concert profits from other bands, and with that knowledge, decides what to charge for tickets. Seventy-five dollars may be a lot of money to some, but for most, it is fair. The proof of that will be when the tour sells out.
    I feel for the people who can't afford these shows, but at the same time - this is capitalism. Everybody in a capitalist society is entitled to try and maximize profits, and sadly, no one is obligated to think of the little guy. In this case, thankfully, I don't think the little guy's suffering. That's my two cents.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    $75 is nothing compared to what these tickets will go for on the open market ie ebay, stubhub, ticketfast, etc.

The tickets will sell out in less then a minute in some cases so $75 is more then fair if you ask me.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    $75 is nothing compared to what these tickets will go for on the open market ie ebay, stubhub, ticketfast, etc.

The tickets will sell out in less then a minute in some cases so $75 is more then fair if you ask me.

Exactly right, simple supply and demand.
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    How much do I think it costs to rent out a theatre?

-Much less than it costs to rent out Madison Square Garden

How much do I think it costs to pay Ed's crew and the union guys at the venue?

-Much less than it costs to pay Pearl Jam's crew and the union guys repsonsible for the saftey of 20,000 people.

So why the high prices?

Traveling costs, equipment transport, insurance, etc...

I'm sure it is less than a full blown PJ show, with less equipment, etc.. but most things have a base or minimum price no matter what you do.. therefore, I would believe that in relationship to a PJ show, the costs would be higher, percentage-wise.. Also, the revenue generated in a small venue is much less than that of an Arena that seats 20-30k. What it all boils down to is, do you want to pay the price or not? There will be folks that miss out on tix no matter how hard they try to throw their 150.00 at the 10C and go through a scalper and pay hundreds.. 75.00 is OK with me.

Peace
    Just me
  • Options
    azwyldcats wrote:
    Exactly right, simple supply and demand.

This is definite, but what I find a little strange is how people try to excuse the ticket price, to show that Eddie had know hand in this or that he has no choice but to charge this much. Basically, to show that the same reasoning behind this price is what gave the fans affordable tickets in the nineties and the early part of this decades. I'm sorry, but I just think that's BS.

They could certainly do this tour for a cheaper ticket price, but they know that people will pay this much so they want to make more money than they would have. I guess there's no problem with that, but let's call it what it is. They're not charging 75 because it's a smaller venue, etc...they're charging this much because they can.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    This is definite, but what I find a little strange is how people try to excuse the ticket price, to show that Eddie had know hand in this or that he has no choice but to charge this much. Basically, to show that the same reasoning behind this price is what gave the fans affordable tickets in the nineties and the early part of this decades. I'm sorry, but I just think that's BS.

They could certainly do this tour for a cheaper ticket price, but they know that people will pay this much so they want to make more money than they would have. I guess there's no problem with that, but let's call it what it is. They're not charging 75 because it's a smaller venue, etc...they're charging this much because they can.

And if I can get my boss to pay me Ed's salary for my work, would I be wrong? It's his career.. this is how the man makes his living. Should he starve on the side of the road in between gigs to make the fans happy? Maybe we won't feel good until we know he makes minimum wage.. maybe he should entertain everyone for free? And I should go to my nine to five for free. Makes sense. It seems like people only think that the band is working when they are on stage.. If this was the case, there would be no material to play at these so called overpriced gigs. They don't just get paid for 2-3 hours of stage time a couple days a week a couple months a year.

Peace

Just an after thought, but this stuff about prices in the 90's.. does anyone recall the price of a gallon of gas then? A pack of smokes? A pound of hamburger, or a whole chicken? AVOCADOS!! I used to buy a bag of ten avocados for a dollar! The times they are a changin' my friends.. and they have been. We all need to make more just to live, including Ed, Mike, Jeff, Stone, Matt.. bleh.
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    And if I can get my boss to pay me Ed's salary for my work, would I be wrong? It's his career.. this is how the man makes his living. Should he starve on the side of the road in between gigs to make the fans happy? Maybe we won't feel good until we know he makes minimum wage.. maybe he should entertain everyone for free? And I should go to my nine to five for free. Makes sense. It seems like people only think that the band is working when they are on stage.. If this was the case, there would be no material to play at these so called overpriced gigs. They don't just get paid for 2-3 hours of stage time a couple days a week a couple months a year.

Peace

Just an after thought, but this stuff about prices in the 90's.. does anyone recall the price of a gallon of gas then? A pack of smokes? A pound of hamburger, or a whole chicken? AVOCADOS!! I used to buy a bag of ten avocados for a dollar! The times they are a changin' my friends.. and they have been. We all need to make more just to live, including Ed, Mike, Jeff, Stone, Matt.. bleh.

Look, I'm not angry about it. You're absolutely right that Ed can charge whatever he wants, and if he has enough people that will pay the ticket charge, then good for him. As someone put it earlier, that is capitalism after all. But ease up on the dramatics. They'd all be doing all right and they would pull a profit if the tickets were 20-25 dollars lower; otherwise, how can one explain all the ticket prices that are lower than Eddie's?

Now obviously due to demand Eddie is charging more than the band from Wisconsin doing a cross-country tour for ten bucks a show, but both tours have expenses. Eddie's acoustic tour is low-maintenance; he wouldn't be on the curb if he lowered the prices. This is exactly what I was talking about; I love this attitude that he had no choice or that there'd be no profit if tickets weren't this high. Of course there would be; the type of fanbase Eddie has means he can charge it and people will pay which means more profit for the artist, management and crew. It's the same reason Neil Young can charge over 150 bucks for his shows; his fanbase is primarily older and retired with alot of money in the bank. Unfortunately, this means that some fans, especially younger fans such as myself, don't buy tickets and don't get to experience the show. But as you said, Eddie is able to charge this, and that's fine.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Look, I'm not angry about it. You're absolutely right that Ed can charge whatever he wants, and if he has enough people that will pay the ticket charge, then good for him. As someone put it earlier, that is capitalism after all. But ease up on the dramatics. They'd all be doing all right and they would pull a profit if the tickets were 20-25 dollars lower; otherwise, how can one explain all the ticket prices that are lower than Eddie's?

Now obviously due to demand Eddie is charging more than the band from Wisconsin doing a cross-country tour for ten bucks a show, but both tours have expenses. Eddie's acoustic tour is low-maintenance; he wouldn't be on the curb if he lowered the prices. This is exactly what I was talking about; I love this attitude that he had no choice or that there'd be no profit if tickets weren't this high. Of course there would be; the type of fanbase Eddie has means he can charge it and people will pay which means more profit for the artist, management and crew. It's the same reason Neil Young can charge over 150 bucks for his shows; his fanbase is primarily older and retired with alot of money in the bank. Unfortunately, this means that some fans, especially younger fans such as myself, don't buy tickets and don't get to experience the show. But as you said, Eddie is able to charge this, and that's fine.

Sorry, I realize that Ed won't be sitting on the road side starving, but it just seems a bunch of fans here won't be happy unless it's that way.. yet they profess to love the art that PJ and/or Ed is making. It's very odd to me. I try to give as much support to any endeavor that I love to keep it going... to make it worthwhile to the performers.

I'm not so much arguing with you than just a particular mindset here. In fact, I don't really see it arguing at all as opposed to just trying to point out that yes, there are costs involved and yes, Ed does want to profit from his efforts, as do we all.

Peace
    Just me
  • Options
    1st, if you are crying about $75, don't buy a ticket.
    2nd, you aren't going to get tickets anyway, because the site is going to crash like it did to us left coasters.