Options

Is it me or is $75 for a solo ticket expensive?

fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 193
edited July 2008 in The Porch
For the same price you could see all of Pearl Jam. So why such a expensive ticket for Eddie? How much was the West coast tour per ticket? What happened with keeping ticket cost down?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    It's not like you're paying $15 per member of the band.

It's a show for $75. That's what they are especially for a place where every seat is golden.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    over_bends wrote:

Yeah, because Jeff is worth WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than $15!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    over_bends wrote:

It's a show for $75. That's what they are especially for a place where every seat is golden.

yeah but let's be real. Eddie (or anyone) solo with just an acoustic guitar isn't worth what a full-on band is.

$75 plus additional fees for an Eddie show is very expensive if you ask me. I'm sure he puts on a great show. I've heard the Berkley boot. But $75? that's a lot for just a guy with a guitar.

This must be Ed's way to keep things even-keeled. When Vitalogy was flying off the shelves, you can say things like "We're for the little guy" and try to keep ticket prices low. but when you haven't had a platinum album in 10 years, you need to get paid some way.

Every show will sellout in minutes...which will justify the $90 ticket prices for the next Pearl Jam tour.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I'd gladly pay $75 bucks to see ed solo or Pearl jam but I live in Texas which they haven't played a show in in 5 years. :(
    Texas has tons of small venues Ed could play at.
    Verizon wireless in Houston
    The Ridglea in Ft worth would be another great place
    not too familiar with small venues in Austin or San Antone but I know there are some just don't know the names of some smaller ones.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    Not for Mr. Vedder.
  • Options
    PearlJam24PearlJam24 Posts: 340
    $75 for a solo ticket isn't bad...$4.25 for a gallon of gas is ridiculous!
  • Options
    PearlJam24 wrote:
    $75 for a solo ticket isn't bad...$4.25 for a gallon of gas is ridiculous!

pfft...that's nothing! It's $4.96 here in San Diego.

• Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,345
    Ya it doesn't make any sense that these tickets are more than PJ tickets. The cost of production is way less and there is less road crew to pay and the rental of a theatre is way less than an arena. Ed and Ed's management need to explain this!!!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    Hey, he's gotta pay a vig to Stone, Matt, Jeff and Mike just to let him go. Eddie's lucky if he gets $5 per ticket
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    fluff4u wrote:
    For the same price you could see all of Pearl Jam. So why such a expensive ticket for Eddie? How much was the West coast tour per ticket? What happened with keeping ticket cost down?

Not bad since the shows will be in smaller venues...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    For that kind of venue, there is NO hesitation for me to jump on these tickets.

I think its completly reasonable.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    If you like the Ed solo pre-set songs... then, go. You can pretty much catch up on all of them with one show.
    And if you like the music from 'Into The Wild'... then, go. This is pretty much the only chance you'll get to hear them live.
    If you are indifferent to both of the above... then, save your money.
    One show is sufficient... but, if you do decide to go... make sure you catch Liam Finn's set. Really great.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,575
    Ya it doesn't make any sense that these tickets are more than PJ tickets. The cost of production is way less and there is less road crew to pay and the rental of a theatre is way less than an arena. Ed and Ed's management need to explain this!!!

keep in mind eV will likely reward his crew, as he did during the April Fools tour, by flying them from city to city as opposed to having them take a crew bus and will again, likely, put them up in the same hotel he's staying at (was the Four Seasons in Vancouver). it's not cheap when you add it all up :)

also worth mentioning, eV will again likely also be donating a portion of the tour's earnings to the WM3 defense fund and perhaps another cause or two as he did during the April Fools tour.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    yeah but let's be real. Eddie (or anyone) solo with just an acoustic guitar isn't worth what a full-on band is.

$75 plus additional fees for an Eddie show is very expensive if you ask me. I'm sure he puts on a great show. I've heard the Berkley boot. But $75? that's a lot for just a guy with a guitar.

This must be Ed's way to keep things even-keeled. When Vitalogy was flying off the shelves, you can say things like "We're for the little guy" and try to keep ticket prices low. but when you haven't had a platinum album in 10 years, you need to get paid some way.

Every show will sellout in minutes...which will justify the $90 ticket prices for the next Pearl Jam tour.

I still feel like you're not paying for who is on the stage but the quality of music. It's your decision to decide if the music of Ed solo is worth the same as Ed and Pearl Jam. I feel that it is and that sort of venue.

If Ed charged $40 a ticket on the grounds that his band isn't with him, it'd be like he is saying "I'm worth 40, the rest of the guys are worth 35." But I don't think the comparison to a Pearl Jam ticket goes into the decision making into the price of an Ed solo. He feels like his show, in an intimate setting is worth $75. If you don't feel like that exchange is good or of equal value, then you are not forced to buy it. If people buy it, then they are obviously saying that it is worth it, so obviously Ed is going to charge the highest price possible that still sells.
    Yield!

• Options
    in small venues, the price is going to be higher...i still agree that 75 is a bit much but i was expecting 60-65 so 10 more isnt a big deal
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    People, it's a theater show. Seating is limited. Therefore, prices are higher.

It's a show for $75. That's pretty much what things cost nowadays. If you don't buy it, someone else will. Supply and demand.

Try having to pay close to $200 from a, gulp, scalper to get into the LA Ed show (as I had to do for night 1 there). Or not going at all (as I did for night 2).

Also ... people say, "it's not worth it for just a guy with a guitar." I'll tell you, the Ed show I saw was better than some of the full-band PJ shows I've seen. It all depends on what you like.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444

The potential gross is also way less.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    The potential gross is also way less.

What are you, an accountant?! :rolleyes:

• Options
    over_bends wrote:
    If people buy it, then they are obviously saying that it is worth it, so obviously Ed is going to charge the highest price possible that still sells.

I just truly believe that his whole "I'm for the little guy" deal over the years was an act. He's about money. and that's fine because most of us are too. but I feel a bit duped.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I just truly believe that his whole "I'm for the little guy" deal over the years was an act. He's about money. and that's fine because most of us are too. but I feel a bit duped.

I think that's being a bit unfair. It's not like $75 is overly expensive or even a little bit. It's pretty average nowadays, so to say "he's about money" is a little extreme. The reason prices were so low back in the day was because the fanbase was teenagers and that core demographic. Obviously PJ hasn't really reached out to this demographic nowadays, and its fanbase from way back when has grown up. Now they are adults and so it should be assumed that they don't need to be looked out for anymore by low ticket prices. Throw in inflation / production values you get the price of today.
    Yield!

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758

If Ed and the gang are really "about money" -- they sure left a lot of it on the table over the years.

Maybe it was all part of an ingenious plan to one day -- gasp! -- charge $75 to see him play solo. The bastard!

Seriously, these dudes charged $18 for concerts back in the day when they could have charged 10 times that and still sold out some of these places. I think their credentials are well established by now
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666

No offense, but as a musician and performer, it is much harder to play a solo show like EV's. You are it, nobody else on stage. All the pressure is on you and you alone, and the songs he plays and sings are difficult ones. With PJ, he only sings on alot of them, and if he messes up a guitar part, it's likely no one hears it over Stone, Mike, Matt and Jeff. When you mess up by yourself, everybody hears it. At this point, Eddie could do alot of PJ songs in his sleep, but I bet he has to practice his ass off to do these solo shows....my conclusion that $75 is way fair for the amount of effort he has to put into getting ready for those gigs.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    It's not like he comes around once a year....I would pay 100
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    What are you, an accountant?! :rolleyes:

Why yes, I am!

Of course there are expenses involved with touring, but the ticket price here is based on perceived demand. Eddie is at a point where he can charge a premium, and it seems like most of us will gladly pay it.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    :confused:

Ok, seriously...where is the emoticon that has a little person banging their head against a wall.
    How much do you think it costs to rent out a theatre??
    How much to pay not only Ed's crew but the union guys at every venue.
    Or to pay for him to get there.
    Get real everyone...he is not trying to screw you...get over it.
    Please.
    Thank you.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    People, it's a theater show. Seating is limited. Therefore, prices are higher.

It's a show for $75. That's pretty much what things cost nowadays. If you don't buy it, someone else will. Supply and demand.

Try having to pay close to $200 from a, gulp, scalper to get into the LA Ed show (as I had to do for night 1 there). Or not going at all (as I did for night 2).

Also ... people say, "it's not worth it for just a guy with a guitar." I'll tell you, the Ed show I saw was better than some of the full-band PJ shows I've seen. It all depends on what you like.

i was gonna tell the whiners for fuck off but you said it much better than i could ;):)
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    How much do you pay to see other bands?

Neil Young solo started at $150 at Massy Hall
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    TrixieCat wrote:
    :confused:

Ok, seriously...where is the emoticon that has a little person banging their head against a wall.
    How much do you think it costs to rent out a theatre??
    How much to pay not only Ed's crew but the union guys at every venue.
    Or to pay for him to get there.
    Get real everyone...he is not trying to screw you...get over it.
    Please.
    Thank you.
    I hope they decide not to go because of prices....better chance of me getting tickets
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    If Ed and the gang are really "about money" -- they sure left a lot of it on the table over the years.

Maybe it was all part of an ingenious plan to one day -- gasp! -- charge $75 to see him play solo. The bastard!

Seriously, these dudes charged $18 for concerts back in the day when they could have charged 10 times that and still sold out some of these places. I think their credentials are well established by now

they charged $18 for concerts when their albums were flying off the shelves. but now that they haven't gone platinum since '98, the prices keep going up. over_bends noted inflation as a factor. I disagree. the ticket prices for the 2003 tour was $37. five years later they've doubled. you said it yourself, they sure left a lot of money on the table over the years. I agree...and they're trying to get some of it back.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396

You're being irrational. Selling even 2,000 tickets at $75 each is still way less than selling 12,000 tickets at $65 each. Do the math. These shows aren't making Ed as much money as usual.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&