Options

Is it me or is $75 for a solo ticket expensive?

Comments

• Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    I remember way back in 92' paying 12 dollars to see P.J.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    Come on, it is a 98% increase, not 50%.
    Oppps. I meant almost twice today as 5 years ago. Almost doubled... well... you get it, right?
    Thanx for the clarification.
    **drops head... slowly walks back to math class**
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Cupofjoe wrote:
    Hey ED stands for FREE SPECCH and with the fu%^ers in washington like pelosi trying to take away speech from polictians???? You should maybe have an open mind as to what he might say. Hell if politicans have a lock on them what does that mean for us as citizens SHIZZALLL MY NIZZLE I think thats how snoop dog puts it :)

If he wants to stand on a street corner in DC I 'll go listen to it for free. No way I'm laying down $75 for his political commentary.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,640
    dervish7 wrote:
    I guess if you don't have it, it is.

Exactly, so $35 would be too then. Maybe concerts shouldn't be a priority. But $75 is not a lot of money. It doesn't go very far.
  • Options
    CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
    Tank of gas hell dont drive travel on foot or carpool it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,640
    Cosmo wrote:
    Oppps. I meant almost twice today as 5 years ago. Almost doubled... well... you get it, right?
    Thanx for the clarification.
    **drops head... slowly walks back to math class**

Sorry, I'm an over-correcting ass.
  • Options
    Think of it as $75 towards keeping freedom of speech alive. Heck I cant even say F%&K in print>
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    Sorry, I'm an over-correcting ass.
    No.. you're right... and i'm glad you pointed it out.
    peace...
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I spent over $1,000 for a weekend for my wife and I in San Jose/San Francisco/ Santa Cruz to see Ed, and it was worth every fucking penny! Now Eddie is in my back yard, so it will cost me even less to do it again. Don't go if you think $75 is expensive.

"It's not even the whole band" -If that is not some retarded logic, I don't know what is.
  • Options
    Even when its just Ed the rest of the boys are there in spirit!
  • Options
    Have a nice night see you in the pit! OH forgot that stopped in like 97 or somewhere around there. Hope I shed some wisdom on your asses>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Options
    fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 194
    When I posted this thread I had no intention of implying that Ed is not worth it. Or that I was comparing what he makes as opposed to the other members or anything like that. I simply wanted to point out that the tickets are expensive, for a solo tour where the overall expenses are lower based on the whole of the production. (not a very big crew, not many venues ect..)

YES! Everything is more expensive nowadays, but (and Here is the real point here) For a Band that has always talked about keeping prices low and not selling out to big corporations (verizion this tour) it seems to me that there is a new chapter in the Pearl Jam book of rules. And that's OK! We are all just human and have lives and families to support and we change. But it doesn't mean you can't point out the change, because it's just shocking and a let down.
    I guess...this is what he means when he says "we all believe were faithful."
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    i guess it's not bad when u compare the quality of ur purchase to a tank of gas, but like "Gone" says:
    The gas in my tank seems like money in the bank.
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    dervish7dervish7 Posts: 218
    Exactly, so $35 would be too then. Maybe concerts shouldn't be a priority. But $75 is not a lot of money. It doesn't go very far.

Not these days, for sure.
    First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!
    And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!

-Dave Eggers
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    fluff4u wrote:
    When I posted this thread I had no intention of implying that Ed is not worth it. Or that I was comparing what he makes as opposed to the other members or anything like that. I simply wanted to point out that the tickets are expensive, for a solo tour where the overall expenses are lower based on the whole of the production. (not a very big crew, not many venues ect..)

YES! Everything is more expensive nowadays, but (and Here is the real point here) For a Band that has always talked about keeping prices low and not selling out to big corporations (verizion this tour) it seems to me that there is a new chapter in the Pearl Jam book of rules. And that's OK! We are all just human and have lives and families to support and we change. But it doesn't mean you can't point out the change, because it's just shocking and a let down.
    I guess...this is what he means when he says "we all believe were faithful."

Neil Young Solo, Tower Theater-$150+
    Van Morrison Solo, Tower Theater-$150+
    Tom Petty Lawn, Camden $75, Seats $over $95
    $75 is fine.
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    TrixieCat wrote:
    :confused:

Ok, seriously...where is the emoticon that has a little person banging their head against a wall.
    How much do you think it costs to rent out a theatre??
    How much to pay not only Ed's crew but the union guys at every venue.
    Or to pay for him to get there.
    Get real everyone...he is not trying to screw you...get over it.
    Please.
    Thank you.

THAT was sexy!! ;)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,854
    If $75 is too much for a budget, than so is $35. It is 2008, $75 is not a lot of money.

again, like i said, i think 75 dollars is a lot of money, whether we're talking about tickets or whatever. again, if you read my post, you'd know that i am saying this as someone who doesn't make a lot of money. i'm still going to the show -- that doesn't change the fact that i think 75 dollars is a lot of money when i make shit pay at an entry-level communications job. who are you to gauge how much is a lot of money, anyways?
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    fluff4u wrote:
    For the same price you could see all of Pearl Jam. So why such a expensive ticket for Eddie? How much was the West coast tour per ticket? What happened with keeping ticket cost down?

it's you.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,854
    brain of c wrote:
    it's you.

Go Padres.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    Not for Mr. Vedder.

Exactly what I was thinking, LB.

Was worth many times more than that. Many.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Go Padres.
    dammit.....
  • Options
    fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 194
    Neil Young Solo, Tower Theater-$150+
    Van Morrison Solo, Tower Theater-$150+
    Tom Petty Lawn, Camden $75, Seats $over $95
    $75 is fine.

OK, but $150 is very expensive. And I never heard Neil young say anything about keeping ticket prices down?
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    I thought $75 was a lot of money.
    Also you have to consider how much one's income is. For someone that doesn't make a lot of money, that's a fortune.

I don't have an interest in seeing him solo though.

Plus with all the charges and fees if you get tickets via TM, it comes out to $90.
    I thought that was way too much money for MSG also.

And I have never heard of this United Palace theater before and i've lived in the metro area my entire life.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Cosmo wrote:
    But, Rilo Kiley is not a Pearl Jam class band and Eddie Vedder is not an up and coming artist. He has earned the status with 18 years of experience.
    Very true! To some $75 is a lot, but Springsteen charges more. And people can take steps to arrange their lives so they can see shows. I live in about a 1,000 square foot 6 room, 1 bath house (by choice), drive a 2003 gas-sipping Camry with 119K miles (many of those courtesy of pearl jam), and I don't spend a lot on things. I save my discretionary income and have it for show trips, which is way more important to me. I do not eat in restaurants that much. I do not have a fancy cell phone with a big plan, or lots of cable, or any of the other things that suck up $$$. You may not be able to have everything, but you can plan and save so you have money for things that are important to you. As a business owner I'm not going to tell someone else what to charge for what they're doing. People have a choice not buy tickets if they don't think its a fair price. I'm sure his accountant sat down and figured out what was the least they could charge, and pay everyone fairly and have something left over for charity and maybe for him. I'd pay $75 to see an Ed solo show any day of the week and desperately hope I can get tickets to at least a couple shows.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Cosmo wrote:
    How much was a gallon of gasoline in 2003? $2.15, maybe? I just paid $4.21 last night. 49% increase... not quite doubled... therefore, Eddie is a greedy bastard.
    This is by far the absolute LAMEST argument there is. It was the same thing with the main tour prices.

If the price of gas doubles then the cost of driving the equipment doubles. That does in no way double the cost of putting on a show by any stretch.

I hate when everyone justifies cost by talking about gas. If you're going that route say 'man, i couldn't get a fancy 5 course dinner somewhere instead of the show' or whatever.

Ugh... I'm not even debating if tickets are expensive or not - I just hate that everyone is comparing everything to gas in the way they are!
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    drsluggo wrote:
    This is by far the absolute LAMEST argument there is. It was the same thing with the main tour prices.

If the price of gas doubles then the cost of driving the equipment doubles. That does in no way double the cost of putting on a show by any stretch.

I hate when everyone justifies cost by talking about gas. If you're going that route say 'man, i couldn't get a fancy 5 course dinner somewhere instead of the show' or whatever.

Ugh... I'm not even debating if tickets are expensive or not - I just hate that everyone is comparing everything to gas in the way they are!

love this post....

at first i got a chuckle out of people using the gas arguement, now its to the point where its getting ridiculously stupid

as far as my take on tickets...75 bucks is middle ground, ive definitely seen higher, its just up to the individual how much seeing the ITW soundtrack is worth
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    drsluggo wrote:

I'm pretty sure the gas argument is not used to justify the ticket rise in the sense of "travelling costs more because of gas so they need to raise tickets to compensate for expensive means of travel."

It's more like "things get more expensive over time... get over it."

Whether that's true or not or has anything to do with rises in ticket prices is another thing, but I think this is where the side is coming from more than anywhere else. Gas is just an example of how prices rise as a part of life.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Cosmo wrote:
    How much was a gallon of gasoline in 2003? $2.15, maybe? I just paid $4.21 last night. 49% increase... not quite doubled... therefore, Eddie is a greedy bastard.

That's 96% increase... you are doing some crazy math there
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    fluff4u wrote:

Not many venues + all tiny venues = Not that much money to gross. I'd be willing to bet Ed nets far less per show on this solo jaunt than a regular PJ tour.
    YES! Everything is more expensive nowadays, but (and Here is the real point here) For a Band that has always talked about keeping prices low and not selling out to big corporations (verizion this tour) it seems to me that there is a new chapter in the Pearl Jam book of rules.

The Ticketmaster thing was a long time ago. Over a decade. People change. Priorities change. Audiences change. Find me the last quote from a PJ member about "keeping prices low" -- I bet it's over 10 years old. So to say this band has "always talked about keeping prices low" is a myth.

I don't even mean that in a bad way. I just mean, you shouldn't hold against them something they said a decade ago.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    pjalive21 wrote:

as far as my take on tickets...75 bucks is middle ground, ive definitely seen higher, its just up to the individual how much seeing the ITW soundtrack is worth

He only plays about five or six songs off ITW. It really is a far ranging show, with all kinds of instruments ... some PJ, lots of cool covers (Cat Stevens, Dylan, Springsteen, Petty). Plus, you get some good Ed storytime. That dude is just a funny motherfucker. (After Dead Man ... "That one was off the soundtrack from a movie ... Rugrats Go to Prison, I think").

You know how you go camping with a bunch of friends, and you sit around a campfire passing the guitar around and swapping songs and jokes. It's like that, only it's Eddie Vedder doing all the work.

It really is a good time, and I'd recommend to all who are lucky enough to get tickets. I paid nearly $200 on stubhub to go to LA 1, then was kicking myself the next night for not ponying up for LA 2.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do