Options

Is it me or is $75 for a solo ticket expensive?

Comments

• Options
    CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
    It's worth every penny and then some....... Especially for those Venues. Many people arent ever blessed to see a show in those venues.
  • Options
    dervish7dervish7 Posts: 218
    Is Bush controlling the price of Ed's tickets, too?
    First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!
    And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!

-Dave Eggers
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    It's not like he comes around once a year....I would pay 100
    I know... why is this such a tough concept to grasp?
    If you don't want to spend 75 bucks for a ticket... then don't. It's a pretty simple concept.
    To me... 75 bucks turns out to be filling up my gas tank when the needle is just about to go into the red. Eddie Vedder gig? Tank of gasoline? It should be obvious... right?
    And it's not like you can't re-earn the money. That's why God invented jobs... to earn money so you can go see Eddie Vedder.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    they charged $18 for concerts when their albums were flying off the shelves. but now that they haven't gone platinum since '98, the prices keep going up. over_bends noted inflation as a factor. I disagree. the ticket prices for the 2003 tour was $37. five years later they've doubled. you said it yourself, they sure left a lot of money on the table over the years. I agree...and they're trying to get some of it back.
    I just paid a 100% increase for string cheese for my son today.
    And a 60% increase for a bag of flour.
    And I am paying a helluva lot more for gas per gallon than I was 5 years ago.
    It is reality.
    Sorry to be blunt but it is obviously not about an album going platinum as they sold out practically their entire little tour just now.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    callmedaughtercallmedaughter IL Posts: 38
    are you guys serious?!!

I would pay $200 to be up close and personal at a small venue with Ed and his guitar.

It all boils down to how much you love his music, and how much it is worth personally to you.

if you don't like it, don't pay it, someone who loves the music more than you do will get your ticket and the experience will probably mean a hell of a lot more to them.

quit your bitchin.
    11 October, 2000
    23 April 2003
    22 June, 2003
    5 October, 2004
    5 August, 2007
    20 June, 2009 (EV)
    7 May, 2010
    1 July, 2011 (EV)
    ~~~~~*~~~~~
    #410***
  • Options
    He does it because he enjoys doing it and playing in these venues I'm sure is his choosing. Just look at some of the detailed pics of theses venues...there ahhhhhhh AWESOME and the acoustics are some of the best venues.
  • Options
    they charged $18 for concerts when their albums were flying off the shelves. but now that they haven't gone platinum since '98, the prices keep going up. over_bends noted inflation as a factor. I disagree. the ticket prices for the 2003 tour was $37. five years later they've doubled. you said it yourself, they sure left a lot of money on the table over the years. I agree...and they're trying to get some of it back.
    How much did it cost you to fill up an empty gas tank back when their albums were flying off the shelf?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    are you guys serious?!!

I would pay $200 to be up close and personal at a small venue with Ed and his guitar.

It all boils down to how much you love his music, and how much it is worth personally to you.

if you don't like it, don't pay it, someone who loves the music more than you do will get your ticket and the experience will probably mean a hell of a lot more to them.

quit your bitchin.

I agree completely.

-Dave Eggers
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    TrixieCat wrote:
    :confused:

Ok, seriously...where is the emoticon that has a little person banging their head against a wall.
    How much do you think it costs to rent out a theatre??
    How much to pay not only Ed's crew but the union guys at every venue.
    Or to pay for him to get there.
    Get real everyone...he is not trying to screw you...get over it.
    Please.
    Thank you.

How much do I think it costs to rent out a theatre?

-Much less than it costs to rent out Madison Square Garden

How much do I think it costs to pay Ed's crew and the union guys at the venue?

-Much less than it costs to pay Pearl Jam's crew and the union guys repsonsible for the saftey of 20,000 people.

So why the high prices?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I Hoping And Praying To Get Tickets...........................
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396

-Much less than it costs to pay Pearl Jam's crew and the union guys repsonsible for the saftey of 20,000 people.

So why the high prices?

Fewer seats. :p
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    I'm Putting It Out There For The Universe To Have Great Tics Come My Way On Pre Sale Day Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    How much did it cost you to fill up an empty gas tank back when their albums were flying off the shelf?

All I know is that ticket prices have doubled since the 2003 tour and it's not just because of inflation.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Fewer seats less backround noise YEAH BABY!!!!!!
  • Options
    Cupofjoe wrote:
    I Hoping And Praying To Get Tickets...........................

Meee too. I really want to go to NJPAC, but I'm worried I'll get shut out. So, I guess it's Washington Heights--if I'm lucky.

-Dave Eggers
  • Options
    Ride your bike to work for a week or recycle some cans!
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    I have a feeling that this debate is splitting the sexes. Women think that paying $75 to see Eddie in a small venue is perfectly reasonable. The men are the ones complaining about the price. Am I right?
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Neil young played the same spot and tix were over $150.
    Tix prices probably START at around $75

For a major act, I consider any tix under $100 to be reasonable for NYC.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    catwoman wrote:
    I have a feeling that this debate is splitting the sexes. Women think that paying $75 to see Eddie in a small venue is perfectly reasonable. The men are the ones complaining about the price. Am I right?

i'm a dude and ed is worth the money :)
  • Options
    iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Orlando, FL Posts: 443
    Hey, he's gotta pay a vig to Stone, Matt, Jeff and Mike just to let him go. Eddie's lucky if he gets $5 per ticket

Personally, I do think $75 is a bit high, but people will pay it, so why not charge it?

But to think that Ed only gets $5 a ticket is way off. I'm not one of the asswipes on the board that is directing a personal attack at you; You're ok with me if you like PJ, so don't take what I'm saying personally.
    I'm just saying Ed nets way more than $5 a ticket, believe me.

And the market is what sets ticket prices. If no one bought $75 tickets, he wouldn't charge that much. But he'll sell out every show, in just a few minutes... I don't consider myself a greedy person, but I'd charge as much as I possibly could if I were in his shoes. Yes, they're all great guys, socially active and responsible, they all donate portions of the proceeds to charity, but don't forget, this IS their job... This IS how they pay the bills that we all have, how they support the people they love, and yes, how they buy jetskis, fast cars and other toys. I'd be ok with being a rich rock star. That doesn't mean you care less about your fans or the causes you support.
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    For a major act, I consider any tix under $100 to be reasonable for NYC.

Agreed......

but Eddie Vedder isn't a major act.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    catwoman wrote:
    Not here.
    My feeling is take it while you can. You never know when it'll come around again... if ever. 75 bucks is priced about right.
    And it's only money. If you have better things to spend your money on... then, go that way. Otherwise... it's only money.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    Agreed......

but Eddie Vedder isn't a major act.
    He is to me....
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756

So why the high prices?
    When I saw union guys, i am talking about the union stagehands that HAVE to be there for any show that goes on.
    DO you know what they are paid?? Alot.
    And Ed also travels with his own crew. They get paid Alot.
    It is simple math.
    This has nothing to do with MSG...nothing.
    How much do you spend on a wild night out on the town with your friends?
    If I am going out for dinner and drinks, it is easily that much per person.
    Why shouldn't you pay that for entertainment?
    And those union guys have nothing to do with the safety of anyone.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    the days of 35 dollar tix are over.
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Im away on vacation so its an easy decision for me- but I dont think I would pay 70+ to see Ed solo.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444

So why the high prices?

Gross for MSG show = 1,300,000
    Gross for Unted Theatre show = 172,500

Ed still has to pay his security, tour manager, bus driver, sound man/woman and techs their usual rate, even though he is playing smaller venues.....these costs are fixed, so they don't go down in proportion to the sizes of the venues.

Ticket prices are usually demand-driven, and not a function of the performer's expenses.
  • Options
    QuadrupleDekeQuadrupleDeke Boston Posts: 168
    cutback wrote:
    i'm a dude and ed is worth the money :)

True that. My girlfriend is always saying that I would totally go gay for Eddie Vedder if I got the chance, and that she's okay with it. But anyone other than him or Alexander Ovechkin, and she reserves the right to be upset. Two man crushes isn't so bad, is it?
    7/1/03 ... 9/28/04 ... 5/30/06 ... 6/3/06 ... 6/30/08 ... 8/2/08 (ev solo) ... 10/30/09 ... 10/31/09 ... 5/17/10 ... 5/21/10 ... 3/27/11 (tres mts) ... 6/16/11 (ev solo) ... 10/19/13 ... 8/5/16 ... 8/7/16 ... 9/2/18 ... 9/4/18
  • Options
    callmedaughtercallmedaughter IL Posts: 38
    catwoman wrote:

looks that way to me. :)
    11 October, 2000
    23 April 2003
    22 June, 2003
    5 October, 2004
    5 August, 2007
    20 June, 2009 (EV)
    7 May, 2010
    1 July, 2011 (EV)
    ~~~~~*~~~~~
    #410***
  • Options
    All I know is that ticket prices have doubled since the 2003 tour and it's not just because of inflation.
    How much was a gallon of gasoline in 2003? $2.15, maybe? I just paid $4.21 last night. 49% increase... not quite doubled... therefore, Eddie is a greedy bastard.
    Hail, Hail!!!