Options

Is it me or is $75 for a solo ticket expensive?

Comments

• Options
    DedvwDedvw Posts: 245
    Id pay more without any bitching. I USE to pay a guy $175 for a boiler tune up and he worked on it for a total of 30 minutes. Was he ripping me off? I dont think so.
  • Options
    Capacity: Warner Theater- 1,847
    Verizon Center- 20,173

I'd pay extra to throw 18,000 people out of the Verizon center for a PJ show, but somehow I don't think that'd be an option!!
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,756
    TrixieCat wrote:

This has nothing to do with MSG...nothing.

What are you talking about? you asked "How much do you think it costs to rent out a theater??" and I said "not as much as it does to rent MSG."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    catwomancatwoman Posts: 256
    LSDemon wrote:
    True that. My girlfriend is always saying that I would totally go gay for Eddie Vedder if I got the chance, and that she's okay with it. But anyone other than him or Alexander Ovechkin, and she reserves the right to be upset. Two man crushes isn't so bad, is it?

Hahahaha. I agree with you about Ovechkin, too, but I heard off the ice he's kind of a jerk.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    How much was a gallon of gasoline in 2003? $2.15, maybe? I just paid $4.21 last night. 49% increase... not quite doubled... therefore, Eddie is a greedy bastard.

the price of gasoline and the value of the dollar aren't the same. Gas prices are up because of shortages, not because of inflation.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    What are you talking about? you asked "How much do you think it costs to rent out a theater??" and I said "not as much as it does to rent MSG."
    Ooh...you are scrappy tonite.
    :p
    Ok.. by theatre I meant a smaller venue...sorry. I worked in the theatre for years...blah, blah. No need to bore you. But I know how much cost is involved in putting on a show.
    I assure you that Ed is not trying to screw you over. Honest.
    And how much were the msg tix?? sixty something dollars? What is the difference....you are not paying for the person..you are paying for the whole package, whether you think it directly affects you or not.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    the days of 35 dollar tix are over.
    I agree. You can spend 35 bucks to see an up and coming artist or band... at a little shithole theater or club. Like, I saw Rilo Kiley at the Greek Theater and it was over 40 bucks, total.
    But, Rilo Kiley is not a Pearl Jam class band and Eddie Vedder is not an up and coming artist. He has earned the status with 18 years of experience.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Cosmo wrote:
    I agree. You can spend 35 bucks to see an up and coming artist or band... at a little shithole theater or club. Like, I saw Rilo Kiley at the Greek Theater and it was over 40 bucks, total.

that was a great show btw.....and probably their last :( i love jenny :o
  • Options
    CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
    doesnt matter anyway it will sellout i GUARANTEE IT EVERY SHOW HEAR THAT PEOPLE EVERY SHOW sooooooooooo stop complaining hope you get a tic>> wait until after their inducted in rnr hall of fame... then theyll get 250 a tic easy........ heck I saw people pay 2500 last night at beacon... if theyll pay they should play....especially when raising 3m for charity.. hey raising money for tour hands is just as good for charity....and if you paying 35 to see no namers dont waste your time theyll never be anothe PJ............ NOW WAS UP
  • Options
    the price of gasoline and the value of the dollar aren't the same. Gas prices are up because of shortages, not because of inflation.
    That's my point. In other words... "It ain't 2003 no more, bro".
    Also, concert tickets are not subject to supply and demand??? They are the definition of a demand on a fixed number in the supply.

As for Gas... prices are up because we are now in the Global marketplace. China and India are placing demands on gasoline as their industries come online. America has had a free ride for a long, long time. Gas prices are balancing out to the levels closer to what Europe and Japan have been paying for decades.
    Bottom line... if you can't afford to go... don't go. But, don't blame artists and bands for what they charge based upon what they were charging 5 years ago.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    that was a great show btw.....and probably their last :( i love jenny :o
    I love me some Jenny. They are really a pretty great little band.
    I hope it wasn't their last.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,482
    Agreed......

but Eddie Vedder isn't a major act.

I think he is.
  • Options
    Capacity: Warner Theater- 1,847
    Verizon Center- 20,173

I'd pay extra to throw 18,000 people out of the Verizon center for a PJ show, but somehow I don't think that'd be an option!!
    THAT is funny!!!
    And a good way to look at it... pay more to keep people out.
    Works for me.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Eddie defintely is a mjor name espically when you can say EV Vedder Eddie etc etc and know what it means...I know people that never even heard a PJ Eddie song and know who he is and PJ is some com on dudes
  • Options
    You Have To Pay To Play And If You Can't Get A Job>>>> The Employment Section Of Every Newspaper Is Packed Every Day With Fruitfull Labor
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Ooh...you are scrappy tonite.
    :p
    Ok.. by theatre I meant a smaller venue...sorry. I worked in the theatre for years...blah, blah. No need to bore you. But I know how much cost is involved in putting on a show.
    I assure you that Ed is not trying to screw you over. Honest.
    And how much were the msg tix?? sixty something dollars? What is the difference....you are not paying for the person..you are paying for the whole package, whether you think it directly affects you or not.

I know he's not trying to screw anyone over. I should note too for the record that I'm not interested in Ed's solo tour. Even if the tickets were $30....I just wouldn't be into it.

That being said, my jaw dropped when I saw the ticket price. Is that what the were for the west coast leg too? I dunno, I was just really shocked by that. but some people here get (understandably) as excited for this Ed as they do for a PJ tour. I'm not one of those people at all....unfortunately.

one more thing to address. since you've been my adversary in this thread, and I want to end the war with all bases covered, here's something you quoted that I didn't respond to but want to so I'm understood

I said this:
    they charged $18 for concerts when their albums were flying off the shelves. but now that they haven't gone platinum since '98, the prices keep going up. over_bends noted inflation as a factor. I disagree. the ticket prices for the 2003 tour was $37. five years later they've doubled. you said it yourself, they sure left a lot of money on the table over the years. I agree...and they're trying to get some of it back.

and you responded with this:
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I just paid a 100% increase for string cheese for my son today.
    And a 60% increase for a bag of flour.
    And I am paying a helluva lot more for gas per gallon than I was 5 years ago.
    It is reality.
    Sorry to be blunt but it is obviously not about an album going platinum as they sold out practically their entire little tour just now.

what I mean with the whole "platinum" thing is that the inflow of money from the sales of Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy must have been so enormous at the time that they figured "we're making enough money where we can do some things like lower ticket prices or not promote our records." but let's face it, in the US, the combined sales of Binarual, Riot Act and Self-titled are probably equal to what Vs sold in it's first two weeks. that's a huge change in that aspect of their income.

So yeah, I wasn't talking about "going platinum" in terms of them needing to do that to sell tickets. I was saying that they will ALWAYS sell tickets so long as they tour...and that's their money maker now...whereas when they were charging $18 for tickets, their album royalties were their money maker.

and that's about all I got to say about that

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Cupofjoe wrote:
    doesnt matter anyway it will sellout i GUARANTEE IT EVERY SHOW HEAR THAT PEOPLE EVERY SHOW sooooooooooo stop complaining hope you get a tic>> wait until after their inducted in rnr hall of fame... then theyll get 250 a tic easy........ heck I saw people pay 2500 last night at beacon... if theyll pay they should play....especially when raising 3m for charity.. hey raising money for tour hands is just as good for charity....and if you paying 35 to see no namers dont waste your time theyll never be anothe PJ............ NOW WAS UP

I laughed at this....Sorry, continue your bitching.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    Laughing cures sickness and smiling makes you live long>>> Glad I could help
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,841
    Cosmo wrote:
    And it's not like you can't re-earn the money. That's why God invented jobs... to earn money so you can go see Eddie Vedder.

To me, 75 bucks is a lot of money, and i think that's fair to say as a recent college graduate in 07 with a job starting out in a field (communications) that doesn't pay much.

However, you do make it all seem better with this point. The money will go back in...........prioritize your money for future events after EV.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    dervish7dervish7 Posts: 218
    To me, 75 bucks is a lot of money, and i think that's fair to say as a recent college graduate in 07 with a job starting out in a field (communications) that doesn't pay much.

I hear that. I could only make it to one show on this tour because of costs, and I'm totally thankful for at least that one. The EV shows are a luxury, for sure. I might have to sell off some posters if I really want to go.
    First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!
    And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!

-Dave Eggers
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    That's my point. In other words... "It ain't 2003 no more, bro".

No, that wasn't your point. You were talking in terms of proportion when you noted the 49% increase in gas prices
    Cosmo wrote:

Also, concert tickets are not subject to supply and demand??? They are the definition of a demand on a fixed number in the supply.

I never said anything to the contrary.
    Cosmo wrote:

Bottom line... if you can't afford to go... don't go. But, don't blame artists and bands for what they charge based upon what they were charging 5 years ago.

I don't want to go. I'm not interested in Ed's solo stuff. Well I like some songs on Into the Wild but I'm not interested in the tour....even if the tickets were $30.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    I'm going with yes, it is. Even the West Coast was slightly cheaper, not much, but it was. Seriously, what is going on with the prices? It's not stopping me, but I miss when they cared how much they charged. Still, I would go to a PJ show for whatever. The number of shows may decrease, however.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,602

However, you do make it all seem better with this point. The money will go back in...........prioritize your money for future events after EV.

If $75 is too much for a budget, than so is $35. It is 2008, $75 is not a lot of money.
  • Options
    Small venues are perfect if you have no money. You go sit outside with the door or wall closest to stage and you can hear 99% of the time. Hows that for some advise. You owe me $10>>>I take cash check cc or paypal OHH also you can probably get to meet band members after gig:}
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I have $75 bucks. I'm just not going to spend it on this. Ed in DC 2 months before an election with no band...no thanks. Love the guy, just not interested in where this show will inevitably go.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,602
    Cosmo wrote:
    How much was a gallon of gasoline in 2003? $2.15, maybe? I just paid $4.21 last night. 49% increase... not quite doubled... therefore, Eddie is a greedy bastard.

Come on, it is a 98% increase, not 50%.
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,418
    hmm

yes it is expensive, don't go

really don't

it is soo not worth it

fluff4u wrote:
    For the same price you could see all of Pearl Jam. So why such a expensive ticket for Eddie? How much was the West coast tour per ticket? What happened with keeping ticket cost down?
  • Options
    dervish7dervish7 Posts: 218
    It is 2008, $75 is not a lot of money.

I guess if you don't have it, it is.
    First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!
    And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!

-Dave Eggers
  • Options

Yeah... that's the way I see it. I'm still working and I know that if this opportunity is passed on by... when the concert date arrives... I will have re-earned that 75 bucks and probably have regrets that I didn't have a ticket in hand.
    and good luck with your career.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Hey ED stands for FREE SPECCH and with the fu%^ers in washington like pelosi trying to take away speech from polictians???? You should maybe have an open mind as to what he might say. Hell if politicans have a lock on them what does that mean for us as citizens SHIZZALLL MY NIZZLE I think thats how snoop dog puts it :)