Options

***Glen Hansard Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    papa_pearls_jam.pj20papa_pearls_jam.pj20 Chicago USA Posts: 2,142
    Mikeo wrote:
    Saw glen last night at the metro in Chicago. it was an amazing show. played for two hours and forty five min. going to see him again tonight in millennium park .
    Me also, along with my daughter. First time I ever saw Glen play live, other than the TV spots on Fallon and Letterman.

Excellent show, with so much energy...thought to myself, "This is the Irish Bruce Springsteen" when I was watching him sing. Great band with him too. Really hope to see him again really soon, but won't be able to catch the show in Millennium Park tonight after work, because it's my da's birthday.
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Mikeo wrote:
    Saw glen last night at the metro in Chicago. it was an amazing show. played for two hours and forty five min. going to see him again tonight in millennium park .
    Me also, along with my daughter. First time I ever saw Glen play live, other than the TV spots on Fallon and Letterman.

Excellent show, with so much energy...thought to myself, "This is the Irish Bruce Springsteen" when I was watching him sing. Great band with him too. Really hope to see him again really soon, but won't be able to catch the show in Millennium Park tonight after work, because it's my da's birthday.

Glen was awesome last night and again tonight. He played for 2 hours and 45 minutes again tonight and played a great version of Smile.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    Mikeo wrote:

Glen was awesome last night and again tonight. He played for 2 hours and 45 minutes again tonight and played a great version of Smile.
    That was cool when Glen broke into a tag of Smile in one of his songs during the Metro show. I am so glad to have seen him!
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

That was cool when Glen broke into a tag of Smile in one of his songs during the Metro show. I am so glad to have seen him!

He played a full version of Smile tonight. It was awesome!
  • Options
    MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    We got front row at the millennium Park show. It was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. The passion, the bubbles, the fog, it was all Spectacular.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the audio from last night's show is out there anywhere?
  • Options
    hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    Both of the Chicago shows were amazing! I love that he just wants to keep playing. I had never heard of Lisa Hannigan, I love her innocent little voice with the dark lyrics.
    I win.
  • Options
    hgpjam11 wrote:
    Both of the Chicago shows were amazing! I love that he just wants to keep playing. I had never heard of Lisa Hannigan, I love her innocent little voice with the dark lyrics.
    How about the song, "Safe Travels, Don't Die"? After the song, Lisa Hannigan says, "There's some good tips there."
    :lol:
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Dammit! Father's Day at 9:30?? Why do I have work on Monday :evil:
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    hgpjam11 wrote:
    How about the song, "Safe Travels, Don't Die"? After the song, Lisa Hannigan says, "There's some good tips there."
    :lol:

That was my favorite! I had to look it up when I got home, so i could catch all of the lyrics.
    I win.
  • Options
    perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 1,964
    Set streaming right now from Bonnaroo: http://bit.ly/1455gTj
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Set streaming right now from Bonnaroo: http://bit.ly/1455gTj
    Nice, thanks! I <3 live streams!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Special GH show for you all
    Maybe some of you want this. Its 'doing the rounds'.
    Soundboard of glens show In millennium park Chicago. Full version of pearl jams Smile gets covered. http://www.yousendit.com/download/WFJXR ... QUpWeHNUQw
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:
    Special GH show for you all
    Maybe some of you want this. Its 'doing the rounds'.
    Soundboard of glens show In millennium park Chicago. Full version of pearl jams Smile gets covered. http://www.yousendit.com/download/WFJXR ... QUpWeHNUQw
    :D
  • Options
    Wanted to bump this tread up a little. I check it every day to see if there are more recordings posted. I've been listening to the Chicago shows non stop....it was one of the best 2nights ever...right behind pj20. Listening to those shows just brings all the excitement back. Thanks to eldarion75, for sharing these special nights. So post more shows people, and if you haven't listened to the millennium park show.....Do It....it's amazing!
    Thanks
    Mikeo
  • Options
    No probs mikeo. Happy to help and always spread the word about our guy.

Want glen shows? Tons of them? Head over to orderinthesound.com. A frames/glen fan site that's glens equivalent to gremmie.net.

Make sure the first show you download is the 'here comes the night' bootleg.

It's a show they did in a studio all acoustic and is the closest thing you'll find to having it like glen and the lads are playing a gig in your living room. It's bloody wonderful. It should be top of the list before anything else you'll thank me for the recommendation when you hear it, and regret it if you don't get it.
    Go now :)
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    ^^^^ cool eldarion. I didn't know there were shows for download there. I'l check it out. Thanks for the info. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:

Want glen shows? Tons of them? Head over to orderinthesound.com. A frames/glen fan site that's glens equivalent to gremmie.net.

It's a show they did in a studio all acoustic and is the closest thing you'll find to having it like glen and the lads are playing a gig in your living room. It's bloody wonderful. It should be top of the list before anything else you'll thank me for the recommendation when you hear it, and regret it if you don't get it.

This site is awesome but I can't seem to find the links to download shows.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    eldarion75 wrote:

Yeah, I think I'm missing something too. A little help, please...
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    eldarion75 wrote:

Yeah, I think I'm missing something too. A little help, please...

I cant find the shows on there either...I found links to shows that are on the archive...but I already had those.
    I do have the here comes the night bootleg. It is great! I'm going to have to get my bootlegs in order. ( I have many show that sound terrible, and shows that I haven't even listened to yet....) if I'm going to go down the glen rabbit hole.....I'm going to have to get organized.
  • Options
    Me and my big mouth. I think they used to host shows but not anymore. Darnation.
    Sorry folks. There are a number of frames and glen shows out there on torrent sites. But just get 'setlist' on iTunes. It's all you'll need for a very long time :)

They do have some links to shows available online here
    http://www.orderinthesound.com/live-recordings
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    eldarion75 wrote:
    Me and my big mouth. I think they used to host shows but not anymore. Darnation.
    Sorry folks. There are a number of frames and glen shows out there on torrent sites. But just get 'setlist' on iTunes. It's all you'll need for a very long time :)

Don't be so hard on yourself buddy. ;) Setlist is Amazing. Great sound, Great music. Pavement tune, Stars are underground and perfect opening line are my faves. Not to mention Revalate.......
    Post edited by Mikeo on
  • Options
    Mikeo wrote:
    eldarion75 wrote:

Don't be so hard on yourself buddy. ;) Setlist is Amazing. Great sound, Great music. Pavement tune, Stars are underground and perfect opening line are my faves. Not to metion Revolate....

I discovered Setlist on itunes about a month ago. It is pretty awesome - I am glad that I bought it.
  • Options
    I'm learning the frames version of Smile. Might just be playing it with them in Dublin in a couple of weeks.
    I know PJ's version back to front. The frames have a much looser interpretation:)
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:
    I'm learning the frames version of Smile. Might just be playing it with them in Dublin in a couple of weeks.
    I know PJ's version back to front. The frames have a much looser interpretation:)

That is awesome...I hope it all goes well.
  • Options
    There'll be video if it does happen haha
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    To everybody on here....awesomeness!!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Going to see glen support uncle Bruce In a few weeks.
    It's gonna be brilliant:)
  • Options
    pjfan2pjfan2 Posts: 57
    Hey,
    I heard Revelate and I loved it. What other songs would you recommend from The Frames? Also, which songs from Glen's solo career and The Swell Season would you recommend?
  • Options
    Songs are great but with this band your better having them in context.
    Get these albums in this order(this is also a reverse chronology)
    Setlist- their live record and also serves as a frames 'greatest hits'. This record effing rocks
    For the birds-the frames masterpiece for many
    Dance the devil-a ton of great rock songs and beautiful quiet ones
    Fitzcarraldo-a balls out rock record

The other swell season/glen solo stuff, you can kind of get into in any order. Rhythm and repose and Strict joy are essential. The self titled swell season record is good but the two I've just mentioned are better for my ears.

You'll end up getting them all if you just get setlist and for the birds:)

Enjoy and let us know about your progress.