Options

*** Pearl Jam - PJ 20 Show 2 Fanviews Here ***

Comments

• Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I enjoyed both shows. While I do think there may have been too much Chris Cornell and other guests "helping"....I still thought it was a great f'n time!

While never a huge fan of Guest-a-Palooza, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Except for Cornell performing Temple of the Dog songs, or John Doe doing New World, the guests were basically there to supplement Pearl Jam songs.

At worst, they didn't get in the way. At best, like Liam Finn with Habit, they made the song.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    mca47 wrote:
    I enjoyed both shows. While I do think there may have been too much Chris Cornell and other guests "helping"....I still thought it was a great f'n time!

While never a huge fan of Guest-a-Palooza, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Except for Cornell performing Temple of the Dog songs, or John Doe doing New World, the guests were basically there to supplement Pearl Jam songs.

At worst, they didn't get in the way. At best, like Liam Finn with Habit, they made the song.

I thought Casablancas on Red Mosquito was very rough. His mic was on way too high or something...
  • Options
    JM84420JM84420 Backstage Posts: 48
    4 songs by Chris Cornell were about 3 songs too many. Tenclub section for the lawn was much too far away also. However- overall amazing show! Highlights were Wash, Black, and Sonic Reducer. Thanks pj!!!!
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    I didn't want to clutter up the board with all of this but upon arriving home last night, I had this overwhelming feeling that I needed to chronicle evrything I could remeber from the incredible experience that was PJ20. I don't want to forget even the smallest of deatils so I am frantically trying to write it all down before it escapes my brain. I've never done anything like this before so hopefully it's not terrible, but I decided to start a blog that will hopefuly serve as a snapshot of the entire weekend. I've got lots of pics and I'm trying to cram in as much detail as possible. My hope is that this will act as a little reminder to those that were there of the awesome time we all had, and for those that weren't there, hopefully this will offer a little window into what it was like to be at this truly unique experience. It's going to take some time for me to get everything up and I am trying to go through in chronological order so hopefully some of you will find this fun or interesting but it is just one person's perspective of a truly amazing weekend and not representative of what anyone else may have experienced. Hope it serves it's purpose and sorry if it ends up sucking. Like I said, I will continue to add to it as I can. Here's the link...

http://onefansperspective.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    JM84420 wrote:
    4 songs by Chris Cornell were about 3 songs too many. Tenclub section for the lawn was much too far away also. However- overall amazing show! Highlights were Wash, Black, and Sonic Reducer. Thanks pj!!!!

I'm just curious ... the Ten Club section on the lawn was basically front and center. Where else would you have liked it to be?
  • Options
    childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    JM84420 wrote:

I'm just curious ... the Ten Club section on the lawn was basically front and center. Where else would you have liked it to be?

It appeared to me to be set up in exactly the same spot as Warehouse preferred lawn for DMB -- it's such a huge venue I don't think there is anywhere else to put it to get closer to the stage.
  • Options
    I have my minor gripes like other people, one or two sings I wish they had played etc, but at the end of it all, the only emotion I had was nostalgia. Pearl Jam 20 - just wow.
    Seattle 2009-09-21
    Alpine Valley 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04
  • Options
    AlfonzAlfonz Posts: 125

The 10C section was not basically front and centre. It was well to the right of centre. I had no problem with that, understandable considering the big mixing desk structure obstructing views. But I didn't even stand in the 10C section, I stood in the everyday lawn section (well to the left of the 10C section) ... just far enough to the right of the mixing desk so I could see all of the stage. I got there around 3pm and had a much better view than those in the closest section of the 10C lawn area. I actually had a much better position in the lawn than my 10C seats. I was so far to the right on Saturday that the 10C seats made that a disappointment, with terrible views and sound.

Anyway, I'm glad Sunday was so good after my disappointment on Sunday. I just wish Cornell didn't make another appearance. Seems that people are really split on that, you either loved it or hated it. I was in the latter camp. On Saturday I didn't mind so much as I could appreciate the sentiment, but to me his last 3 songs on Sunday were an insufferable dirge, lumbering/slow/mundane songs which didn't fit in with the show musically. Replace them with 3-4 PJ songs that weren't played and Sunday would have been the best PJ show I'd seen. Shit, they could have played about 3-4 short songs like Lukin/Go/Sad/Last Exit just in the time it took to go through a repeat of Reach Down. But in the end I don't care that much, as I was just glad to get an overall amazing show after my experience on Saturday.
  • Options
    Alfonz wrote:

The 10C section was not basically front and centre. It was well to the right of centre. I had no problem with that, understandable considering the big mixing desk structure obstructing views. But I didn't even stand in the 10C section, I stood in the everyday lawn section (well to the left of the 10C section) ... just far enough to the right of the mixing desk so I could see all of the stage. I got there around 3pm and had a much better view than those in the closest section of the 10C lawn area. I actually had a much better position in the lawn than my 10C seats. I was so far to the right on Saturday that the 10C seats made that a disappointment, with terrible views and sound.

Anyway, I'm glad Sunday was so good after my disappointment on Sunday. I just wish Cornell didn't make another appearance. Seems that people are really split on that, you either loved it or hated it. I was in the latter camp. On Saturday I didn't mind so much as I could appreciate the sentiment, but to me his last 3 songs on Sunday were an insufferable dirge, lumbering/slow/mundane songs which didn't fit in with the show musically. Replace them with 3-4 PJ songs that weren't played and Sunday would have been the best PJ show I'd seen. Shit, they could have played about 3-4 short songs like Lukin/Go/Sad/Last Exit just in the time it took to go through a repeat of Reach Down. But in the end I don't care that much, as I was just glad to get an overall amazing show after my experience on Saturday.

You're right, it was to the right of center ... because there was a big view-blocking something or other in the center section. They were basically the best lawn seats in the house. I can't really complain.
  • Options
    What a great weekend hanging out with my brother, my old friends, and some new friends we just picked up in the parking lot! That is what this is about. Did it cost money to go to PJ20? Sure did and it was worth every friggin penny!

First, the VERY minor negatives:

1. They started the shows too late and songs were omitted that could have been played! So for everyone blaming CC... please stop. Wasn't his fault. Frankly, it's more Eddie's fault than anyone because he is "in-charge" of that part of the production. I guess they bit off more than they can chew.

I do not understand why they even listed the start time at 9.30. I have not seen the actual setlists, but I understand that All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Down, and Present Tense were left off night 1. Real Me and Crown of Thorns left off Night 2. I know we can blame the rain and the enormity of the event for night 1, but these things happen and they could have been accounted for.

2. How does an event like this not get treated to a Chole Dancer--> Crown of Thorns?

3. Chinese Lanterns!

4. Awful amenities at the venue... food, clean bathrooms, sanitary conditions. Sections 103/203 are at a serious disadvantage to the restrooms that are available on the other side of the building.

Second, the indifferences...to the poster problem. Would it have made too much sense to pre-sell some of the posters to 10c ticket holders? Yes, but the rules of engagement were followed.

Most importantly, the music. It was friggin amazing. Beyond the fact that I saw 7 PJ tunes and 5 covers that I have never seen before, I was blown away by the spirit of the entire concert (s). Great Fans, Great Energy. I thought that night 1 was a bit rough, maybe a little rushed compared to night 2. Night 2 just seemed like there was more magic... I don't know how to describe it. We almost burned down an amphitheater!

Chris Cornell was amazing! I have never understood all of the hate on this board for CC. I have seem him solo, SG, AS, and now TOTD. He was awesome. Frankly, TOTD sounded "louder" than many of the PJ songs.

I have no problem with the repeats... Play Hunger Strike twice in a show... it is iconic. And Reach Down on night 2 was unreal. I felt the tension in the crowd from many people bitching about another repeat... And I just laughed... They were missing the clinic that Mike McCready was putting on. Really? They listen to the same Even Flow solo 600 times, but they can't appreciate that magic because it was clouded by "Chris Cornell".

Lastly, the individual songs. Highlights for me were Release, Wash, Who You Are, Breath, No Way, and Smile. Glen Hansard's vocals are so sick and he just added that extra pop that Smile deserved. Can't wait to listen again!

Anyway, I can't wait to watch all the videos that were posted.

Thanks for a magical weekend. My wife still does not get it, but she supports me anyway! :lol:
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Options
    I actually cried on the way to work today. I just wish it could have gone on another day or two. We met so many fans from around the world and heard stories of meeting members of the band in different settings. The last day, on the lawn with other 10C members was indescribable. I can't wait until my next concerts. I hope they do a PJ 25 and PJ 30! I wish they would do a "Pearl Jam" festival every year just like PJ20. I could die happy right now (except I'm sad I'm not still at the concert).
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    megatron wrote:
    i tried hard not to take vids and photos the whole time but when they did it's ok i had to.

i lost my shit near the end so in return i lost the camera. sorry it cuts off at very end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6-pdfFgHhc

Thank you for this!

I lost my shit during this one too. God it looked great from up there!
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    I didn't want to clutter up the board with all of this but upon arriving home last night, I had this overwhelming feeling that I needed to chronicle evrything I could remeber from the incredible experience that was PJ20. I don't want to forget even the smallest of deatils so I am frantically trying to write it all down before it escapes my brain. I've never done anything like this before so hopefully it's not terrible, but I decided to start a blog that will hopefuly serve as a snapshot of the entire weekend. I've got lots of pics and I'm trying to cram in as much detail as possible. My hope is that this will act as a little reminder to those that were there of the awesome time we all had, and for those that weren't there, hopefully this will offer a little window into what it was like to be at this truly unique experience. It's going to take some time for me to get everything up and I am trying to go through in chronological order so hopefully some of you will find this fun or interesting but it is just one person's perspective of a truly amazing weekend and not representative of what anyone else may have experienced. Hope it serves it's purpose and sorry if it ends up sucking. Like I said, I will continue to add to it as I can. Here's the link...

http://onefansperspective.wordpress.com/

Well done. From one Buckeye to another, look forward to the rest of it and hope to be able to meet up at a future show.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    oona left wrote:
    megatron wrote:
    i tried hard not to take vids and photos the whole time but when they did it's ok i had to.

i lost my shit near the end so in return i lost the camera. sorry it cuts off at very end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6-pdfFgHhc

Thank you for this!

I lost my shit during this one too. God it looked great from up there!

you're welcome. my buddy couldn't make the show and this is the one we ALWAYS wanted to hear so i took a vid for him. i think it made him more upset :lol:
  • Options
    mikepmikep Posts: 290
    night 2 was the greatest show i've ever seen and been a part of.

the whole weekend is one of the most fun things i've ever experienced.

:)
    96-11-Tor; 03-Mont; 05,13-London;05-Kitchnr, Hamltn; 06-Deroit;08-Mont(EV); 09-Albany(EV), Philly3&4; 10,13-Buff;10-NYC, Mt View; 11-(EV) Boston,Hart,Det,PJ20,Ott,Hamltn,Winnpg,Sask,Cal,Edmntn,Van; 12-Missoula; 13-Wrigley,Pitts,Port,Spok,Cal,Van,Sea.
  • Options
    this was a huge production, lots of variables, some they could correct and some they couldn't.

as a band I think PJ did all they could to "give back" to the force of the universe that got them where they are and I think they did a great job.

I personally didn't buy the poster, but I thought it was brillant.

no coffee? uh, then we saw someone, then we knew there was coffe on the premis somewhere. we looked hard and begged and waited for 40 mins but our girl we flagged-KATIE!!-brought us two cups back. surprising what you can do when you put your mind to it, we were on a mission and completed. best freakin cup ever, really, I may never forget it. it was hilarious living through the moment.

didn't show till 4pm on saturday & missed out on the misprinted hoodies. didn't hear the story till sunday, went to a merch booth, nope-all sent back, turned around, a dude had one he wanted to exchange, so I bought it!! LOL, freaking nutty how things happen.

wore my goofy "county fair airbrushed PJ shirt" and ed pointed & pinched his shirt, mouthed the words "like your shirt" during Alive when he went around stone, ANOTHER FREAKIN AWESOME MOMENT!!!

I've been to alot of shows and all in all I thought the whole experience was great. during the intermission they had "stall callers" in the womens bathroom to keep everyone moving, I was really happy just to not have to use a port-pot. plenty of spots to get out of the weather.

just a few of my moments. I really don't have one 'real' complaint, someone around us was fartin up a storm, and that didn't even bother me.

all I can remember soon will be the good times.. thanks everyone for the great time!!

AMY
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    cadyetx wrote:
    I actually cried on the way to work today. I just wish it could have gone on another day or two. We met so many fans from around the world and heard stories of meeting members of the band in different settings. The last day, on the lawn with other 10C members was indescribable. I can't wait until my next concerts. I hope they do a PJ 25 and PJ 30! I wish they would do a "Pearl Jam" festival every year just like PJ20. I could die happy right now (except I'm sad I'm not still at the concert).

This will cheer you up.....and make me cry. I was stopped at a little mom and pop grocery store (Bells) getting beer. When I came out my wife was freaking out and says I think Eddie Vedder walked out of that store just after you walked in the door. He smiled waved at her, my son, and daughter then walked around the corner of the building. Of course I didn't see him. Of course she likes to mess with me. Great show. Great people. Great memories. Looks like I will never meet the man.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Another good night, but standing at the lawn so far from the stage sucked. Alpine Valley-type arenas are not for me, I guess.

Best songs for me were daughter and spin the black cirkle (was really needed after a period of more mundane songs)

Oh, and star spangled banner is a crappy way to end YB. Especially at such an international event.

But overall PJ20 was a great weekend :-)

Wow dude, all you did was complain and then you ended with "it was a great weekend."

And what's wrong with playing Star Spangled Banner? I remember Brit flags being all over the screen during several Oasis shows I've been to and I don't remember going on the Internet & complaining about it.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    What a perfect evening! Unfortunately the person that was supposed to go with me backed out at the last minute. I ended up giving my spare to a fellow 10C member who had lawn seats. Overall, I was moved to tears during this show. I cannot express the emotion that flowed. Thank you Pearl Jam and 10C. The setlist was flawless as was the execution. Combined with the 1st night, it was perfect.
  • Options
    What an amazing weekend!! Thanks to Pearl Jam for 20 great years! PJ20 was a complete success and was well-organized by everyone involved.

My wife and I had the most incredible time meeting so many new friends and seeing two phenomenal PJ shows. Having been to around 60 shows, I have to say that these 2 combined were the best I've ever seen!!

It is truly amazing how Pearl Jam can bring such good people together. Pearl Jam fans are the best, period.

Here's to another 20!!
  • Options
    Since I'm home now... Ill write some more.

Night 1 was amazing... But something about Night 2 was just even more crazy. I feel the crowd was much better than the previous night. I'm so happy my section rocked out and sang along... No statues here.

Wash!!!! Are u friggen kidding me? Amazing start... LBC... Nothingman... The list goes on... Jeremy (finally)

When I get my computer fixed... Ill type up more... Till then... I want boots!
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    I was very disappointed to hear people posting anything negative about the event at all. But, everyone is entitled to their opinion. That being said.....
    I read on one of the threads someone elaquently stating how Pearl Jam's music had seen them through good and bad times in their lives and that it meant so much to them. Oddly, I was a senior in high school when TEN was released and at the time like a lot of people got sucked into the "radio played" singles...ie. Jeremy, Black, Alive and Even Flow. I did like those songs at the time, but can say I never purchased a single CD or listened to any other songs they had to offer. Fast forward 17 years later when my fiance came into my life...and voila! I don't think there is a song I haven't heard yet...(ok maybe a few but hard pressed to find one).
    At first, I was listening to be the girlfriend who tries to enjoy something her man really likes. Well, if that was how it started that sure is NOT how it is now. We have watched more hours of live DVD shows and listened to more hours of CD's then I can even count. Then I was fortunate enough to go to Chicago in 2009 for two live shows and Kansas City in 2010. I thought that was an experience. But now I was able to attend PJ 20!!!!!!
    Not only was this the best live show I have EVER SEEN....and I mean EVER....any group, PJ is now my ALL TIME favorite group around. Not only was the music amazing, we met some pretty awesome people! Carolina from Vancouver and Tom & Tommy from Chicago. Cool people! Then, there were the angels on night one who saw us lying in the lawn after 8 hours of being in the rain who right before the first encore, walked up and gave us their two tickets in the 15th row CENTER STAGE! Thank you, whoever you were. We are so greatful!
    I look back and realize these songs are the soundtrack to my life too. THANK YOU PJ! THANK YOU!
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    I feel like I can write a book length ode to this night. best show I have ever seen. Amazing crowd, and the band was on fire. Most importantly, to me, was the fact that the band looked like they were having the time of their lives....and it is well deserved: this weekend was for them.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    whygohome wrote:
    I feel like I can write a book length ode to this night. best show I have ever seen. Amazing crowd, and the band was on fire. Most importantly, to me, was the fact that the band looked like they were having the time of their lives....and it is well deserved: this weekend was for them.

i like this
  • Options
    hogshogs Posts: 15
    I was at both shows and they were F'n amazing. If I had to choose which one was better, I would have to say Sunday night. The setlist was great and the energy that Eddie and the boys had was contagious. Can't wait to see them again. I just hope that I'm able to get tix through the 10Club next time, got screwed in May when we had the presale. :D :P
  • Options
    Ah you beautiful lucky people..thanks for all the great post's. I'm a little jealous that I missed out on the love but glad you all enjoyed.
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Goddamn, I can't wait until the bootlegs are released for these shows. You guys are lucky. Those are two of the greatest setlists I've ever seen, and from the videos I've watched on Youtube, this celebration was one for the ages. Eddie singing "Falling Slowly" with Glen Hansard? Temple of the Dog reunion with Cornell? Un-fuckin-believable. Wish I coulda been there.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    VespertineSunVespertineSun Seattle, WA Posts: 45
    Right now I am emotionally spent and need to spend the next few days re-emerging back into the world and my daily life. Pearl Jam has that effect on me. It isn't just the band .... it's the community, the tribe we all belong to. It is a weekend I will long remember.

v
    Be sound.
  • Options
    last few posts are spot on.. i loved the way the setlists were mixed up and i knew they were saving a lot of their big hits for n2.i was in the lawn n2 and i know it was the 10c lawn not the regular lawn so i can't speak of the vibe out there but from what i saw it looked amazing. i felt like i was with my family and every song had so much meaning behind it just because of the significance of the whole thing. it was a celebration of the past 20 years (25 for mike/stone), not just a concert. i got teary eyed throughout the night knowing this and was the happiest i have been in as long as i can remember. my friend said it was the best concert she has ever been to in her life and she's no diehard like me so even she felt the energy. all i can do is be thankful i lived when pj played and i was there. i can't thank this band enough.
    "We're heavily Hemingway inspired." -ed
  • Options
    From England, my best friend and I had to wait almost ten years to see Pearl Jam at all, post Roskilde. Reading '06 was therefore special, a wonderful night. Since we've done United Center, MSG and Wembley Arena. They were all uniformly great.
    But to be 15 rows back, dead center, surrounded by thousands screaming the words to Breathe as vehemently as I was something that could only have happened this weekend. The 12yr old Balvenie-filled hip flask snuck in helped us past the frosty hours, arrival at a gorgeous Black and Porch that took my tits off; absolutely world class weekend of music. And someone needs to tell Josh Homme to sit down, has there ever been a less than sonically imperative QOTSA show?
    These people work hard at their craft, they're one of the last great touring bands and this sort of weekend won't happen much more simply because there aren't that many bands with the chemistry and magnetism of this one that give a monkeys about community and relationships. The heart of the weekend was a Final Waltz of sorts, maudlin, staunch, respectful and very f*****g loud. I wouldn't have been anywhere else.