Options

*** Pearl Jam - PJ 20 Show 2 Fanviews Here ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,937
edited December 2012 in Given To Fly (live)
PEARL JAM
PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI
SHOW 2
SEPTEMBER 04, 2011

SET LIST

01. Wash
02. The Fixer
03. Severed Hand
04. All Night w/guests singing bg voices
05. Given To Fly-(for Dennis)
06. Pilate
07. Love Boat Captain
08. Habit w/ Liam Finn
09. Evenflow
10. Daughter/It's OK-(Cole)
11. Leatherman
12. Red Mosquito w/ Julian Casablancas
13. Satan's Bed
14. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter A Small Town w/ Dhani Harrison
15. Unthought Known (before playing the song Ed thanks Brendan O'Brien the "seventh member" of the band for all his help)
{Ed introduces John Doe. John discusses not losing hope and Ed mentions the West Memphis Three and thanks those that helped and supported them.}
16. New World w/John Doe-(Doe)
17. Black
18. Jeremy

ENCORE BREAK 1
19. Eddie improv/new song (performed solo by Ed on acoustic guitar)
20. Just Breathe
21. Nothingman
{Ed talks about Stone and Jeff's 25 years together and different leaders of the band and wanting to play a Stone song that Stone was willing to skip.}
22. No Way
23. Public Image-(Public Image Limited)
24. Smile w/ Glen Hansard
25. Spin The Black Circle-(dedicated to independent record store owners and customers)

ENCORE BREAK 2
Chris Cornell wishes Pearl Jam a happy 20th birthday
26. Hunger Strike {Eddie Vedder duet vocal}-(Cornell)
27. Call Me A Dog-(Cornell)
28. All Night Thing-(Cornell)
29. Reach Down w/ guests singing bg vocs-(Cornell)
30. Sonic Reducer w/ Mudhoney-(Bators, Blitz, Chrome, Magnum, Thomas, Zero)

ENCORE BREAK 3
Ed and Jeff thank all the opening acts for playing with them and a special thanks to Boom Gasper for playing with band for 10 years. Ed also thanks Matt Cameron calling him one of the greatest drummers alive and thanking him for keeping the band alive
31. Alive
Ed thanks family, friends, and crew
32. Rockin' In The Free World w/ lots of guests, friends and family-(Young)
33. Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    OMG! I am just floored by the entire show, Joseph Arthur with Mike, Matt, and Jeff, the impromptu song song by ed, the fact that they kept playing after the house lights went on. The energy of the crowd the energy of the band, when Mike and Jeff chased each other around the stage...I swear there was '90 s Ed' for a bit there. Thank you for an experience to remember and cherish for a lifetime. :D
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,232
    Un fuckin real

God damn I love this band

Insane

Thank u guys

Here's to 20 more
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    ALRIGHTY!!! When you put the 2 shows together, night one makes more sense.

WOW what a setlist for Night 2 - VERY ENVIOUS of everyone who attended. Thank you PJ for the last 20 years, may there be many more to come!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    AndiMAndiM Posts: 102
    Brilliant show. The only minor (!) complaint: I would have traded "Hungerstrike" and "Reach Down" for "All those Yesterdays" and "Crown of Thornes", after they were skipped yesterday. Playing Hungerstrike two shows in a row ... Don't know. Seems to take the mythic aura a bit away from it. But anyways: Great show, good setlist and a lot of fun.

Special greetings to the two American soccer fans behind us (201 SS if my mind still works after this long day): Jürgen Klinsmann still sucks at tactics ;), but maybe it will work out, hehe.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Awesome show. The band and crowd energy was off the chart.

Sonic Reducer, Love Boat Captain and No Way were highlights for me. Ed improv song was cool too.
  • Options
    Loved it all. Every bit. Night one and night two. They all had their significance and place. Thank you so much for being who you are and sharing it with all of us fans. Here's to 20 more years!
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    AndiM wrote:
    Brilliant show. The only minor (!) complaint: I would have traded "Hungerstrike" and "Reach Down" for "All those Yesterdays" and "Crown of Thornes", after they were skipped yesterday. Playing Hungerstrike two shows in a row ... Don't know. Seems to take the mythic aura a bit away from it. But anyways: Great show, good setlist and a lot of fun.

Me too... anyone know what got skipped from the setlist tonight? I know they skipped at least one...

My highlights were Wash, Love Boat Captain, Habit (awesome seeing him play with Liam on Habit both in Liam's set an PJ's), Pilate, All Night, Nothingman.

Very nice weekend - good mix of rare and greatest hits and the ToTD reunion was awesome even if today's was a bit of a repeat in the encore.
  • Options
    Great main set good 1st encore chris Cornell again slowed the show way down for me alive etc great. Never seen matt play so hard, good energy but missed on the encores both nights.
  • Options
    SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234
    I'll be the one to say it: That wasn't worth $1300.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Good setlist again, really compliments the previous night. Amazing lack of Binaural but they had a lot of different ideas to get through I guess. I don't know which night looks better? Here's to PJ and 20 years anyway.... :mrgreen:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Great show! My wife and I enjoyed last night (had great seats-102 L 122- dead center). This is our 10th show in the last 10 years. Very happy with the set list Saturday night.

Tonight we had 101 row K. A little harder to see, but still great. Incredible set lists over the two nights. We both love Chris Cornell, but we could have done with only one night of the Temple of the Dog set list. Sort of killed the momentum tonight. However, even with that said, we were very stoked to hear My Way, Pilate, Smile and Wash among others. Overall a great two night list. If I had only been able to attend one night, it would have been tough to feel satisfied. Very fortunate to have made the trip from southern California.

In closing, Alpine was great and the staff was super friendly!
    8-)
  • Options
    Maybe there was some argument about Night 1.

If Night 2 wasn't epic, then there is no such thing.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Great Show

In my opinion the best song of the night was Habit with Liam Finn....just blew the doors off that one

As mentioned above...I was a little surprised that Cornell repeated two songs from yesterday....I love Cornell but another four songs?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Man, that setlist looks legendary! PJ really put it all out there for the fans. Can't wait to listen to the concert when the boot comes out.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    Great crowd tonight. RIght off the bat there was that feeling that this was going to be a good night. Easy top 2 ever for me. Only thing better was the first time I saw them (Soldier Field). 10 Club hooked it up tonight! Seen them 23 times first time Mike side for me!! Peace to the two guys to my right from Japan. Cool dudes.

THANK YOU PJ!!!!!!
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,420
    Now that's more like it.

Last night was good. Tonight was great. Great sound, great set, great crowd. Even "Habit," maybe my least favorite Pearl Jam song, brought a huge smile to my face as Liam Finn's vocals and dancing breathed new life into it. The cameos fit a lot better tonight than last night, I thought.

This was my 44th show and the most-played PJ song that I had never seen live before tonight was "Wash." I have a new most-played PJ song that I've never seen live, but I won't know what it is until I get home to L.A. and check my list.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    This was my 19th show. There were six (6) songs I'd never heard live before. That's just Pearl Jam songs. Not counting covers. Not even counting Ed's improv song. Not counting TOD stuff.

Six Pearl Jam songs,new to someone who considers himself a touring veteran.

Holy fuck, I love this band.
  • Options
    Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    It was, by far, the greatest musical experience of my life. That's what happened. Maybe you just had to be there. It was like the biggest fan club only show ever.

I said it after Night 1, and I'll reiterate it after Night 2, if you somehow went to PJ20 and left unfulfilled, it's just time to quit listening to live music. Nothing will ever be good enough for you.

And if you can't at least enjoy your favorite band looking so fucking happy, you're probably just a miserable prick who hates his life.

If you're just following setlists, looking at the names of songs on a computer screen, you have no idea what went down here this weekend. None. And, I guess, we can't explain it to you. But you missed out.

This was my 19th show. There were six (6) songs I'd never heard live before. That's just Pearl Jam songs. Not counting covers. Not even counting Ed's improv song. Not counting TOD stuff.

Six Pearl Jam songs,new to someone who considers himself a touring veteran.

Holy fuck, I love this band.

This is the best fanview I've read.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    Another good night, but standing at the lawn so far from the stage sucked. Alpine Valley-type arenas are not for me, I guess.

Best songs for me were daughter and spin the black cirkle (was really needed after a period of more mundane songs)

Oh, and star spangled banner is a crappy way to end YB. Especially at such an international event.

But overall PJ20 was a great weekend :-)
  • Options
    AMAZING!! Both PJ20 shows were beyond fantastic... loved both shows!! Thank you Pearl Jam for giving us such an awesome weekend, we feel so lucky to have been able to travel over from Australia and experience this sensational weekend with our two sons (Jett 8 and Hunter 6) it's been a total blast! Thank you... thank you... thank you! You guys are the best!!!!! :D
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Oh, and star spangled banner is a crappy way to end YB. Especially at such an international event.
    I'm still not sure if we were in Wisconsin or Michigan(as the hoodie said), but either way... it was in America. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    uote="slightofjeff"]
    SM10080 wrote:
    A second awesome show! So many of us wish we could have been there!

and a lot more of us are glad we saved our money. what the hell happened out there? Was I expecting too much?

It was, by far, the greatest musical experience of my life. That's what happened. Maybe you just had to be there. It was like the biggest fan club only show ever.

I said it after Night 1, and I'll reiterate it after Night 2, if you somehow went to PJ20 and left unfulfilled, it's just time to quit listening to live music. Nothing will ever be good enough for you.

And if you can't at least enjoy your favorite band looking so fucking happy, you're probably just a miserable prick who hates his life.

If you're just following setlists, looking at the names of songs on a computer screen, you have no idea what went down here this weekend. None. And, I guess, we can't explain it to you. But you missed out.[/quote]

Pretty angry for someone who just saw a great show. Tonight was amazing - can't we just keep that vibe alive.
  • Options
    JensPorchJensPorch NorCal Posts: 15
    Another good night, but standing at the lawn so far from the stage sucked. Alpine Valley-type arenas are not for me, I guess.

Best songs for me were daughter and spin the black cirkle (was really needed after a period of more mundane songs)

umm, Jimi Hendrix, familiar with him in Norway?
    Ritchie Coliseum, University of Maryland - Apr 13, 1992,Lake Fairfax Park - Aug 14, 1992
    Aladdin Theater - Nov 30, 1993,Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct 02, 1994
    Polo Fields - Jun 24, 1995,Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct 19, 1996
    Sacramento Valley Amphitheatre - Oct 30, 2000,Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006 EV Zellerbach Hall - Apr 7, 2008 , EV Lyric Opera House - June 14, 2009 , EV Lyric Opera House - June 15, 2009
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009,Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct 25, 2003,Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheatre - Oct 24, 2010
    Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011 , EV Shoreline Amphitheater Oct 23, 2011
    Oracle Arena - Nov 26, 2013, Shoreline Amphitheater Oct 25, 2014
  • Options
    cd21millercd21miller Columbia, MO Posts: 302
    22nd show tonight...

1) a magical weekend. 2 different shows, but the fact is, nonone should or could complain. Especially after tonight.

2) 20 years means they can play or do what they want, in my opinion. This weekend was as much for them as for us. No beef with anything from
    The weekend.

3) show highlights: no way, habit (not a huge fan of the song, but Liam turned it up a notch or 6) new world (for my wife), smile with hansard was great, satan's bed was Ed at his best and STBC was awesome.

Couldn't ask for a better birthday weekend. Love to my family and friends for making it all happen.

See you all soon!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    edited September 2011
    SM10080 wrote:

Actually, I was hoping you could explain it to me. If you were there, take me through why it was so good.

Maybe it was the communal energy of the whole place ... especially in the pavilion. Every crowd participation moment was amplified tenfold. The energy was unbelievable, on stage and off.

Mike running laps behind the drum riser during Spin the Black. Ed and Jeff coordinating leaps during various songs. Stone refusing to play No Way, before finally being goaded into it by the fans. Ed's improv song, which was basically about the band lasting for so long ("I'm so glad we made it, to the part where things got good.") Chris Cornell knocking the TOD stuff out of the fucking park. Matt fucking Cameron. The tailgating in the parking lot where, amid the beer and brats, you heard Ed's voice emanating from every single car stereo system. The hug exchanged between Jeff and Ed behind the riser after the show that kind of brought a tear to my eye.

There really was a true anniversary vibe running through the whole affair. From the choice of songs, to the special guests, to the remarks Ed made ...it really was a celebration of how lucky we are that the band we all love, the band that's gotten us all through so much shit, the band that's been there for the down times, and the deaths in the family, and the breakups and the marriages and the births of our children, the band that always seems to be there when we need them, that in many ways has been the most stable relationship in our lives ... that band is still around, even after all these years.

It doesn't happen to every band. We are damn lucky it happened to ours. Every second of this weekend underscored that fact to me.

That's why you had to be there. And why some standard show in Saskatoon, while sure to be awesome, just won't be the same.

I know you guys don't want to hear it, but if you weren't here this weekend, you missed out on a special experience that won't be repeated. Not until PJ40, at least.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
  • Options
    clucas40 wrote:
    AMAZING!! Both PJ20 shows were beyond fantastic... loved both shows!! Thank you Pearl Jam for giving us such an awesome weekend, we feel so lucky to have been able to travel over from Australia and experience this sensational weekend with our two sons (Jett 8 and Hunter 6) it's been a total blast! Thank you... thank you... thank you! You guys are the best!!!!! :D

G8 vibe, onya sandgropers!!!
  • Options
    SM10080 wrote:

Actually, I was hoping you could explain it to me. If you were there, take me through why it was so good.

Maybe it was the communal energy of the whole place ... especially in the pavilion. Every crowd participation moment was amplified tenfold. The energy was unbelievable, on stage and off.

Mike running laps behind the drum riser during Spin the Black. Ed and Jeff coordinating leaps during various songs. Stone refusing to play No Way, before finally being goaded into it by the fans. Ed's improv song, which was basically about the band lasting for so long ("I'm so glad we made it, to the part where things got good.") Chris Cornell knocking the TOD stuff out of the fucking park. Matt fucking Cameron. The tailgating in the parking lot where, amid the beer and brats, you heard Ed's voice emanating from every single car stereo system. The hug between Jeff and Ed behind the riser after the show that kind of brought a tear to my eye.

There really was a true anniversary vibe running through the whole affair. From the choice of songs, to the special guests, to the remarks Ed made ...it really was a celebration of how lucky we are that the band we all love, the band that's gotten us all through so much shit, the band that's been there for the down times, and the deaths in the family, and the breakups and the marriages and the births of our children, the band that always seems to be there when we need them, that in many ways has been the most stable relationship in our lives ... that band is still around, even after all these years.

It doesn't happen to every band. We are damn lucky it happened to us. Every second of this weekend underscored that fact to me.

That's why you had to be there. And why some standard show in Saskatoon, while sure to be awesome, just won't be the same.

I know you guys don't want to hear it, but if you weren't here this weekend, you missed out on a special experience that won't be repeated. Not until PJ40, at least.

Wow - now THAT'S a review. :thumbup:
  • Options
    JensPorch wrote:

umm, Jimi Hendrix, familiar with him in Norway?

Yes, we are. Still a crappy ending to an otherwise perfect song.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    edited September 2011
    so..after this show....ill tell you what was this PJ20....
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”