*** Pearl Jam - PJ 20 Show 2 Fanviews Here ***

Comments

• SM10080 wrote:
    I'll be the one to say it: That wasn't worth $1300.

You can't put a price on a memory.

I didn't spend quite $1300 on this weekend, but whatever my final expenditures ended up at, PJ20 was worth every penny. What would I be doing with that money if I didn't spend it here? Money comes and goes. Most of it comes and goes in places that are completely forgettable. I can almost guarantee that my PJ20 money, if spent elsewhere, would have been spent in places that I won't remember by next year, or even next month. A little here, a little there, and it's gone.

But I'll NEVER forget the rush, the chills, the emotion that turned my stomach in knots and took me to a spiritual place that I've only been to a few times in my life when I heard the opening strums of "Release" on Saturday night, followed by one of the most beautiful moments of my life -- singing along with 30,000+ fellow hardcore Pearl Jam fans in a light rain, riding the wave where it took us, together. If that was it, if PJ broke up then and there and never played another track together, that one song/experience would have been worth more to me than anything else I could have bought with the money I spent on PJ20.

Of course, that wasn't it; the enduring memories from this weekend are far too difficult to count, especially having just returned home after 6 hours of flying on an hour of sleep. From beautiful sets by David Garza, Joseph Arthur, Glen Hansard, and others, to seeing Eddie step in for FIVE (5!) guest spots with other bands on Sunday (and Mike, Jeff, and Matt joining in on others), to all the wonderful new people I met, to all the little 10Club perks, and, of course, all the other bone-chilling moments created by PJ, this was one amazing weekend that it's impossible to put a price on.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • I am still buzzing from this show! I had even more energy for this show for some reason...and finally got It's Ok :) Wow. I just didn't want the night to end. They could have played on forever. What an amazing weekend!
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    I have said thank you many times, but these two days brought my gratitude and enthusiasm for all of you to a whole new level. This show was perfect. I could not see how the night before could be topped, and here you guys made me completely forget about it. What a memorable, memorable, emotional experience this was. To think that those beautiful voices, those beautiful words are still making themselves heard and bring great joy to all of us made me sob during the stretch newsong-just breathe- nothingman (my first in 13 previous shows!). And then No Way... I was shaking my head in disbelief. One of the absolute highlights for me was New World. I love the song, and loved the mix of Ed's and John's voices. Same thing for Red Mosquito. Too bad Julian got shy after the first chorus and sang a little more subdue. That part seems written just for him! Also loved when Ed came out for Juicebox. And Pilate! And the glance of Ed just before he said "speaking as a child of the 90s...". And the screens! Why not bring them back each tour? And when Ed said that anything they played us fuckers would know it. It really seemed like there were no casual fans. Maybe the occasional girlfriend/boyfriend, but everyone seemed very enthusiastic and knowledgeable!

I loved every minute. Sure, I would have traded some of the Cornell encore for Crown of Thorns and Footsteps (I am officially resigned, though, if you guys didn't play it this time it's just not meant to be for me :D), and I am astonished at the amount of spectacular songs that were left out (Immortality, In Hiding, Leash, Animal, Go, Corduroy), but this was YOUR party and it was great to see you so happy.

Thank you again. After No Way I thought I could never possibly come to another of your shows, but you are so much fun that would just be a pity.

Happy birthday!
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • I had an amazing weekend. Left it all out there, personally, more than any other show I have been to. Met up with amazing people, some from past shows, and reminisced on the great times we've had with PJ through our lives.

The weekend was summed up when I saw Liam Finn at the Milwaukee airport earlier today. He looked exhausted and was groggily sleeping in the corner at terminal D52 in the same blue shirt he rocked out in all day yesterday. They really partied hard and gave us their all.
    SM10080 wrote:
    I'll be the one to say it: That wasn't worth $1300.

It would have been for me. But luckily I only spent around 500 :)
    Oh, and star spangled banner is a crappy way to end YB. Especially at such an international event.

But overall PJ20 was a great weekend :-)

I am Italian, and I am wearing a tshirt that says "I won't waste it, my love on a nation" and I completely disagree with this. It was beautiful, moving, and I enjoyed every second of it.
    I can't believe the songs I'm seeing on these setlists. I will green with envy indefinitely. I don't post here often but I hope everyone who went had the most awesome time, which no doubt you would have. And I really hope there is a bootleg, I wanna hear In The Moonlight with Josh so bad.

I don't usually care much for the song, but the mix of voices was absolutely stunning. A highlight for sure.
    hedave wrote:
    There are no words. There are so many reasons said and not said. To the most profound, impassioned and entertaining band on Earth today, I thank lyou for a weekend more personal than I could have possibly considered. During Chris' four-pack of Temple songs, I saw Ed in the back offering background vocals. It was clear the stage was surrendered for a moment. In a gesture of simple humility, Ed happily consigned himself behind the drums. I saw then his love for music and his passion to change the lives of those thousands who came to greet him during the last two days. Thank you, guys. Thank you so very much.

Spot on. He is totally about the music. Not sure Chris would have done the same, but no negativity :)
  • WOW!

I want to thank all you PJ fans for being so cool; you all made this weekend a special one.

For the perpetual complainers: REALLY??? Like I heard someone say this weekend: "go stand out in a cornfield and get run over by a tractor".

This weekend made me realize how lucky we are to be able to still see these guys rock!

PJ, thanks for being awesome! I hope to see you at PJ40
    10c, thanks for an amazing weekend!
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • Night two blew night one away. No comparison. Best show I have ever been to.
    -Pearlhawk.

Kansas City 5/3/2010
    St. Louis 5/4/2010
    St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo)
    East Troy 9/3/2011
    East Troy 9/4/2011
    Wrigley Field 7/19/2013
  • Had a fucking BLAST!!!!

On the top of that Hill....
    About a mile from the stage......

Had a FUCKING BLAST!!!!!
    With some new friends...
    And some old friends.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Great show!! great fans!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13

Had a FUCKING BLAST!!!!!
    With some new friends...

I think it was a mile and a half, and it was perfect.

A great time had by all.
    Nice shirt.

Had a FUCKING BLAST!!!!!
    With some new friends...

I think it was a mile and a half, and it was perfect.

A great time had by all.
    Night 1???

I sat/stood for 2 hours thinking...WTF is this all about??? Im 20 or so rows from the stage...The sound blows...Im not getting in to this setlist at all...Can some tell Cornell to get the fuck off the stage....Blah Blah Blah....

It was worse than Cincy....

24 hours later...
    I am a mile and a half away from the stage....The sound is PERFECT....And I have lifted PjScreamer over my head, and am airplane spinning him......Night 2 rocked...
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,044
    What a tremendous opportunity to see the world's greatest band on the top of their game! Seeing Temple of the Dog is a once in a lifetime opportunity for most of us, and some of us even got to see them twice! Awesome set lists on both nights. The guest appearances throughout each night were brilliant. Pearl Jam always delivers!

That said, we always end up surrounded by douchebags at these shows. People buy tickets and either treat the band's performance as background music for their own, shallow "Jersey Shore"-esque conversations, or get so drunk and obnoxious before the show that they're shouting, puking, spilling beer, falling down and hi-fiving through the whole set. All the frat-guy, boy band looking assholes, you know who I'm talking about. :roll:

Pearl Jam: I love you guys. Thank you so much for making music that has enriched my life beyond words.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    dudeman wrote:
    What a tremendous opportunity to see the world's greatest band on the top of their game! Seeing Temple of the Dog is a once in a lifetime opportunity for most of us, and some of us even got to see them twice! Awesome set lists on both nights. The guest appearances throughout each night were brilliant. Pearl Jam always delivers!

That said, we always end up surrounded by douchebags at these shows. People buy tickets and either treat the band's performance as background music for their own, shallow "Jersey Shore"-esque conversations, or get so drunk and obnoxious before the show that they're shouting, puking, spilling beer, falling down and hi-fiving through the whole set. All the frat-guy, boy band looking assholes, you know who I'm talking about. :roll:

Pearl Jam: I love you guys. Thank you so much for making music that has enriched my life beyond words.
    There's nothing wrong with high fiving your fellow jammers during an epic show. Spilling beer and conversating the entire time, though, is bogus
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • I sat/stood for 2 hours thinking...WTF is this all about??? Im 20 or so rows from the stage...The sound blows...Im not getting in to this setlist at all...Can some tell Cornell to get the fuck off the stage....Blah Blah Blah....

24 hours later...
    I am a mile and a half away from the stage....The sound is PERFECT....And I have lifted PjScreamer over my head, and am airplane spinning him......Night 2 rocked...

Seeing Pearl Jam with friends you only see every few years is beyond words.
    It's what makes every single show that much more special.

Night 2 was just as I thought it would be, and just as it should be.
    Screaming Black at the top of your lungs with your friends...does it get any better?

Not in my book.
    Nice shirt.
  • I sat/stood for 2 hours thinking...WTF is this all about??? Im 20 or so rows from the stage...The sound blows...Im not getting in to this setlist at all...Can some tell Cornell to get the fuck off the stage....Blah Blah Blah....

24 hours later...

Seeing Pearl Jam with friends you only see every few years is beyond words.
    It's what makes every single show that much more special.

Night 2 was just as I thought it would be, and just as it should be.
    Screaming Black at the top of your lungs with your friends...does it get any better?

Not in my book.
    Once again...
    I have a better time at a show sitting on the fucking lawn, as far from the stage as possible...Why??
    Because now you are singing and dancing with 4-6 friends...Having a blast...Hugging, high-fiving, SMILING and LAUGHING the whole time....
  • :geek:
    Night 1???

I sat/stood for 2 hours thinking...WTF is this all about??? Im 20 or so rows from the stage...The sound blows...Im not getting in to this setlist at all...Can some tell Cornell to get the fuck off the stage....Blah Blah Blah....

24 hours later...

Glad u had a good time...me personally i would rather be with my friends in the 1st row..but whatever works for you :mrgreen:

Again glad it wound up good
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • :geek:
    Night 1???

24 hours later...

Glad u had a good time...me personally i would rather be with my friends in the 1st row..but whatever works for you :mrgreen:

Again glad it wound up good
    If you give me a choice of sitting 1st row with 1 friend....

Or go sit with 5-10 friends in the last row on the lawn.....

I will sit with my friends in the last row...
    No questions asked......
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    edited September 2011
    Once again...
    I have a better time at a show sitting on the fucking lawn, as far from the stage as possible...Why??
    Because now you are singing and dancing with 4-6 friends...Having a blast...Hugging, high-fiving, SMILING and LAUGHING the whole time....

Exactly. At times the seats can be a bit too subdued for my taste.

The energy, the camaraderie, the general jubilation of the lawn, especially last night,
    has always been more appealing to me than being as close as possible.

There is no comparison in my opinion or question in my mind as to how I wanted to see PJ20.

Singing, laughing and high-fiving. Perfect indeed.
    Post edited by QuarterToTen on
    Nice shirt.
  • The whole weekend was sick had a blast enjoyed both nights but tonight was off the hook 8-) ...The best part of the whole weekend is meeting and seeing people i consider freinds ...see you next time :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Last night was the second best day of my life...my friends and I were comparing where we were going to be sitting at, and they looked at my tickets and were like, "Do you realize you're in the 12th row? You suck!" I looked at my tickets and it was true! :shock: :shock: :o:o
    I've been in The Ten Club for 10 years, been to 10 PJ shows, and this is the first time I've ever had seats this close...for Night 2 of PJ20, an absolutely once in a lifetime amazing experience. 12 songs I've never heard live...so close I could see the band's facial expressions...rocking the crap out with thousands of fellow fans around me, screaming at the top of my lungs. Near the end of the show Ed was looking in my direction, our eyes kind of locked for a second and I blew him a kiss. He smiled, nodded and did the fist punch to the chest thing. :shock: :mrgreen: I don't know if he was looking at me or not, but I'd like to think he was.
    Climbed all the way back up that frigging steep hill after the show, freezing, my legs and feet aching, but happier than I've ever been. Thank you, Pearl Jam and Ten Club, for the love that you show your fans and the inspiration you constantly give.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Once again...

Exactly. At times the seats are a bit too subdued for my taste.

The energy, the camaraderie, the general jubilation of the lawn, especially last night,

There is no comparison in my opinion or question in my mind as to how I wanted to see PJ20.

Right??
    Night 1... I now feel like an ass if I have to get up from my seat and leave the aisle for ANY reason...Because the Pearl Jam People give me the evil eye....And of course we end up in the row with the poor lady with the broken leg....

Night 2.. I am singing and dancing with friends all over that lawn.....And the only looks I get from strangers??? Are smiles and more high-5's....

Give me the lawn....
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Once again...

Exactly. At times the seats can be a bit too subdued for my taste.

It's cool to be up close and watch how the pros do it, but I totally agree. I've never once had "bad" seats take anything away from my enjoyment of a show and being on the lawn has often enhanced it.
  • NumberTenOxNumberTenOx Posts: 93
    edited September 2011
    Part of the fun of these shows was the spaces in between. Of course the highest moments were during the music, but so many other images:

The signs on the road "Buy American, The job you save, May be your own, Burma Shave" (fuck Scott Walker, BTW).

The woman in the room next to me - ahem - "vocalizing", waking me from a deep sleep at 10 in the morning.

Meeting Jammers everywhere. Everywhere.

The Italian guy with the stickman tatoo on his leg at the pool. Didn't speak much English but understood my appreciation. Saw sooo many PJ tattoos.

The older couple at the bar, husband has Parkinson's, come to the Abbey every weekend for years, wondering what all the nice people were doing there.

Meeting Sherry the Saints fan, not into PJ but totally into it. Swapped animal pictures and gave her my sweatshirt because she was freezing.

The guy next to me night one who thought the concert would be better if everyone sat down the whole time. I told him not in a million years. I did sit down alot that night - stomach bug. Made me appreciate how lucky I was to be healthy in general and for night two.

Seeing U-505 in Chicago with my son. Had to talk our way into an earlier tour because we had a plane to catch. Nice people there.

Stumbling around the halls last night at 3am, seeing other wild eyed fans to wired to sleep.

Having some dude slam dance me during Porch night one on the steep part of the walkway. He stopped and maybe I'm making this up, looked like he was worried I was going to hit him.

Wondering how so many fans could stand on the wet lawn for so long.

Multiply that list by 10, that is what that experience was like. Thanks everyone.
    Post edited by NumberTenOx on
  • Right??
    Night 1... I now feel like an ass if I have to get up from my seat and leave the aisle for ANY reason...Because the Pearl Jam People give me the evil eye....And of course we end up in the row with the poor lady with the broken leg....

Night 2.. I am singing and dancing with friends all over that lawn.....And the only looks I get from strangers??? Are smiles and more high-5's....

Give me the lawn....

Any day of the week. The knowing looks, the commonality, the general feeling of happiness
    is so much more evident with the 'lawn people', at least in my experience anyway.

I wouldn't have had it any other way.

AND it wasn't raining, even better!
    Nice shirt.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Love all this... keep going.

Next!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Love all this... keep going.

Next!
    The Sunday tailgaters stole my coolers and grill.....

I think they are going to put those fuckers on ebay....hehehehehehe
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Part of the fun of these shows was the spaces in between. Of course the highest moments were during the music, but so many other images:

The signs on the road "Buy American, The job you save, May be your own, Burma Shave" (fuck Scott Walker, BTW).

The woman in the room next to me - ahem - "vocalizing", waking me from a deep sleep at 10 in the morning.

Meeting Jammers everywhere. Everywhere.

The Italian guy with the stickman tatoo on his leg at the pool. Didn't speak much English but understood my appreciation. Saw sooo many PJ tattoos.

The older couple at the bar, husband has Parkinson's, come to the Abbey every weekend for years, wondering what all the nice people were doing there.

Meeting Sherry the Saints fan, not into PJ but totally into it. Swapped animal pictures and gave her my sweatshirt because she was freezing.

The guy next to me night one who thought the concert would be better if everyone sat down the whole time. I told him not in a million years. I did sit down alot that night - stomach bug. Made me appreciate how lucky I was to be healthy in general and for night two.

Seeing U-505 in Chicago with my son. Had to talk our way into an earlier tour because we had a plane to catch. Nice people there.

Stumbling around the halls last night at 3am, seeing other wild eyed fans to wired to sleep.

Having some dude slam dance me during Porch night one on the steep part of the walkway. He stopped and maybe I'm making this up, looked like he was worried I was going to hit him.

Wondering how so many fans could stand on the wet lawn for so long.

Multiply that list by 10, that is what that experience was like. Thanks everyone.

I love these little tidbits as well. Good stuff.