Options

*** Pearl Jam - PJ 20 Show 2 Fanviews Here ***

Comments

• Options
    PS just to be clear (after reading some other threads) I'm not saying you couldn't go to any PJ show and have great experiences. One of the reasons i love to go to their shows. A special band, mostly special fans.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    oona left wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    This is a weekend I will take to the grave with me. Met so many great people, and brought a friend who is floored by said great people. The fans really represented pj well, as I spoke with security personnel at the hotel and venue who loved the fanbase and the common courtesy.

How about that tense minute when the floating tealight torch got stuck under the all wood amphitheater roof?

This was pretty scary.

I was in the second row on the lawn, so just above the aisle at the top of the pavilion. The torch drifted into the pavilion, gently hit part of the inside of the root, then started to kind of skirt along the roof along the incline. Physics!

The torch cannot "leave" from underneath the roof without dropping a couple of feet to get under a vertical section that comes down from the roof itself (I don't know anything about construction, so forgive me).

A security guard in the aisle literally ran to another, grabbed him and pointed as the torch was up there burning and clearly stuck, and the two of them took off running. Not jogging, mind you - they both ran as though it was of far less consequence if they knocked a few people over on there way.

After a few minutes (maybe it wasn't quite that long, I can't be sure), the torch finally began to drift again.

However, it began drifting into the pavilion, while losing altitude.

The thing was over people in 203, descending, and coming towards them from behind. It was terrible to watch.

It made its way towards the far right aisle, and appeared to just drop. From where I was, it was impossible to see if anyone was hurt, but it was clear that that was all too plausible. Does anyone know where it came down?

The weird thing is, the thing was moving in near perfect cohesion with Cornell's singing. I hope whoever got hit with the thing is OK.

By the Alpine Valley resort gate someone jumped the fenced and fell like 10+ feet and barely missed a fence post. Then this individual scampered into the woods. I hope this guy is OK too.

Two dozen security guards and a couple AMTs ran by. That was all we saw.

It was horrifying. The gasp from members of thje crowd when that thing trouched down (up?) on the roof was really something I dont want to hear again. I was scanning for a quick safe way out. It was right next to one of those giant hanging screens too.
  • Options
    Once again...
    I have a better time at a show sitting on the fucking lawn, as far from the stage as possible...Why??
    Because now you are singing and dancing with 4-6 friends...Having a blast...Hugging, high-fiving, SMILING and LAUGHING the whole time....

Exactly. At times the seats are a bit too subdued for my taste.

The energy, the camaraderie, the general jubilation of the lawn, especially last night,
    has always been more appealing to me than being as close as possible.

There is no comparison in my opinion or question in my mind as to how I wanted to see PJ20.

Singing, laughing and high-fiving. Perfect indeed.
    Right??
    Night 1... I now feel like an ass if I have to get up from my seat and leave the aisle for ANY reason...Because the Pearl Jam People give me the evil eye....And of course we end up in the row with the poor lady with the broken leg....

Night 2.. I am singing and dancing with friends all over that lawn.....And the only looks I get from strangers??? Are smiles and more high-5's....

Give me the lawn....

This is why I CHOSE to buy lawn tickets both nights. I didn't just get stuck with them. One night I watched from the 10C area and one night from another area. I think that could be a topic for another thread, but it might get me in trouble.
  • Options
    JibitiJibiti Posts: 264
    Was a great experience getting close in the pavillion. Only bad part was not hearing 'Crazy Mary' either night. :cry:
    6.30.06 - Marcus Ampitheatre (Summerfest),
    9.03-04.11 PJ20!!!
    7.19.13 - Wrigley!!!
    10.19.14, 10.20.14 (Yield!!)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    MayDay10 wrote:
    oona left wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    This is a weekend I will take to the grave with me. Met so many great people, and brought a friend who is floored by said great people. The fans really represented pj well, as I spoke with security personnel at the hotel and venue who loved the fanbase and the common courtesy.

How about that tense minute when the floating tealight torch got stuck under the all wood amphitheater roof?

This was pretty scary.

I was in the second row on the lawn, so just above the aisle at the top of the pavilion. The torch drifted into the pavilion, gently hit part of the inside of the root, then started to kind of skirt along the roof along the incline. Physics!

The torch cannot "leave" from underneath the roof without dropping a couple of feet to get under a vertical section that comes down from the roof itself (I don't know anything about construction, so forgive me).

A security guard in the aisle literally ran to another, grabbed him and pointed as the torch was up there burning and clearly stuck, and the two of them took off running. Not jogging, mind you - they both ran as though it was of far less consequence if they knocked a few people over on there way.

After a few minutes (maybe it wasn't quite that long, I can't be sure), the torch finally began to drift again.

However, it began drifting into the pavilion, while losing altitude.

The thing was over people in 203, descending, and coming towards them from behind. It was terrible to watch.

It made its way towards the far right aisle, and appeared to just drop. From where I was, it was impossible to see if anyone was hurt, but it was clear that that was all too plausible. Does anyone know where it came down?

The weird thing is, the thing was moving in near perfect cohesion with Cornell's singing. I hope whoever got hit with the thing is OK.

By the Alpine Valley resort gate someone jumped the fenced and fell like 10+ feet and barely missed a fence post. Then this individual scampered into the woods. I hope this guy is OK too.

Two dozen security guards and a couple AMTs ran by. That was all we saw.

It was horrifying. The gasp from members of thje crowd when that thing trouched down (up?) on the roof was really something I dont want to hear again. I was scanning for a quick safe way out. It was right next to one of those giant hanging screens too.

Scrolling through some pics and vids that my wife recorded, we got a little of it during Call Me A Dog. Not the greatest vid, but I'll try to upload it.
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    Both nights were unreal. Amazing. The shows, fans, songs, atmosphere... all about pj. Couldn't have asked for a better experience.

What the hell am I supposed to do with myself now???

I don't want to do anything other than revel in this feeling. I don't want to talk to anyone that doesn't want to talk about Pearl Jam.

I'm debating watching "Live from the Garden." I want to watch it, but I don't want watching it to blur some of my already fading memories of the last two nights.

And I'm so friggin' tired :D
  • Options
    Let me start this off by saying that the overall experience for both nights was just amazing. In my opinion night 2 was a communal experience between the crowd and the band. I just can't describe the feeling that I had leaving the venue, it was definitely a highlight of my life. I think it goes beyond the set list and technical perfection to love, I think there was a shared love between the crowd and the band that was just transcendent. If I had any complaints I would have liked to have seen Wooden Jesus instead of the repeat of Reach Down, but really that is just me being greedy.

It was 11 years, 1 month, and 1 day ago that I sat in Virginia Beach Amphitheater getting ready to watch my favorite band get ready to play what in my mind was probably the most difficult show of their lives. It was the first time I was seeing them in a full length show. I remember wondering if they were ever going to play Daughter again, about half way through they did. The band then gets to the Tag and Eddie asks the crowd to help them start anew by singing and then proceeded to do "It's OK". It has always been a special moment to me as I saw it as the band asking the crowd to tell them that "it is ok" and try to begin the healing process. Flash forward to last night and seeing them play it again in that setting of celebration was just incredibly special to me and instantaneously bridged the time and 11 shows in between those 2 nights. The rest of the show was amazing but that was my favorite moment.
    6/14/1998, 8/3/2000, 9/4/2000, 7/1/2003, 7/12/2003, 5/30/2006, 6/22/2008, 6/24/2008 , 6/25/2008, 10/31/2009, 5/13/2010, 9/3/2011, 9/4/2011, 7/19/2013
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    TH127229 wrote:
    Let me start this off by saying that the overall experience for both nights was just amazing. In my opinion night 2 was a communal experience between the crowd and the band. I just can't describe the feeling that I had leaving the venue, it was definitely a highlight of my life. I think it goes beyond the set list and technical perfection to love, I think there was a shared love between the crowd and the band that was just transcendent. If I had any complaints I would have liked to have seen Wooden Jesus instead of the repeat of Reach Down, but really that is just me being greedy.

It was 11 years, 1 month, and 1 day ago that I sat in Virginia Beach Amphitheater getting ready to watch my favorite band get ready to play what in my mind was probably the most difficult show of their lives. It was the first time I was seeing them in a full length show. I remember wondering if they were ever going to play Daughter again, about half way through they did. The band then gets to the Tag and Eddie asks the crowd to help them start anew by singing and then proceeded to do "It's OK". It has always been a special moment to me as I saw it as the band asking the crowd to tell them that "it is ok" and try to begin the healing process. Flash forward to last night and seeing them play it again in that setting of celebration was just incredibly special to me and instantaneously bridged the time and 11 shows in between those 2 nights. The rest of the show was amazing but that was my favorite moment.

This was a nice read. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i've been to some of the "bigger" recent shows.
    bonnaroo, philly 10.31, msg both nights. what great times.this one is right there with them.
    there is NO WAY to rank shows anymore. it's just silly. it's like sticking to one favorite song. not happening.

these guys are so cool. yea sounds nerdy...but they are. having everyone guest appearing on what seemed like every song reminded me of hanging at my local bar/venue with all of my buddies and we're just dicking around playing each others songs on stage. sooooo much fun

they made a real effort to play some wild songs that a lot of people haven't heard. and ed knows what people want to hear. to do "it's ok" tag is so great because i have met many fans that have always wished they'd bring it back. that was nice of them.

either way i've never sat 3rd row dead center (i'm usually last row my number sucks) and the whole time was actually akward cause i felt like i was staring at the band like a 12 year old girl at a bieber show. but it was beyond awesome.

and i'm pretty sure i pissed ed off with tossing him the beach ball...i panicked when it landed in my hands and he was right in front of me. so..sorry ed. and to everone behind me because i'm 6'4" and love to rock my face off.

what a great night
  • Options
    The weekend was something I will never ever forget, was an absolutely incredible experience! Alpine was a fucking perfect setting over the two days!

I thought the band and the crowd both brought so much energy and so much love, the energy was off the charts in the pavilion both nights!!

For me, the weekend wasn't about what they played or didn't play. It wasn't about who they shared the stage with or who they didn't. It wasn't about my setlist choice is better than yours (or PJs). I've got plenty of bootlegs and can put together my "dream show" anytime I want.

For me the show was a chance to reflect on the last 20 years of my life and what PJ has meant to me. From the dorky 13 year old listening to Ten for the very first time (and then on repeat nonstop!) on my discman on the beach during a family vacation to the man I am today. Through all the shit I've been through... the divorce of my parents, my own divorce, deaths in the family, losing touch with friends, etc. PJ's music always resonated with me and helped me through those times. To be able to celebrate with, and thank, them in person 20 years later was a true fucking honor. So what I didn't get to hear Corduroy or Animal or "insert your song here"? So what it took forever to get out of the parking lot?

And I'll never forget all the great times I've shared with my best friends at a PJ Show or smoking my first bong in college as we blasted a live PJ disc in our dorm room. I'll never forget all the great people I met this weekend from all over the country and all over the world. And I'll never forget the hug my friend gave me after the show on Sunday night. Was his first real PJ shows (outside of Lolla a couple years ago). He doesn't know every word to every song but he still got it... he realized what he was witnessing and said it was the best two nights of music he'd ever been a part of. Now if that's not a stamp of approval I don't know what is.

So thank you Pearl Jam, thank you Alpine, thank you to the tens of thousands of people that made these 2 nights something that will live on vividly in my memories until I leave this Earth.

Guess that's my two cents. Can't wait to rock out for another 20 years and beyond!!
  • Options
    Even though I wasn't physically there, I was psychically there thanks to Gary's "webcast" and it was a hell of a blast! I can't believe the complaints, because it was truly special. Boots better be coming soon to the Goods section!

Also, I was wondering why they chose that Moore Theater show to give away at PJ20 with SO many to choose from and now after hearing it, I think I know. Ed talks about Andy Wood and Temple of the Dog and says that if there is one song off 'Ten" that could have been about him, it was "Deep" and they launch into a killer version. Coincidence they played that song during night #1 and had a TotD reunion? I think not.

Indy 2010, Indy 2003, Champaign 2003, Cincy 2000, Indy 2000
    Indy 1998, West Lafayette 1994, Chicago-Lollapalooza 1992
    Cincy-Lollapalooza 1992
    ======================================

I pledge my grievance to the flag.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Did Dhani Harrison sing on Small Town or just joined in on guitar?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Newch91 wrote:
    just guitar unless he jumped on mike's mic for background...so yea just guitar
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Newch91 wrote:

just joined on guitar
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I really don't even know where to begin with this whole weekend. It was one of the best experiences of my life! PJ on fire both nights. I personally loved seeing Temple both nights since it'll probably never happen again. I really tried to soak it all in as much as possible....infriggincredible sets IMO and the fact that the band was having so much fun made me appreciate it even more. A huge part of this weekend was meeting so many awesome people! Saturday's tailgate was so much fun, our pavilion seatmates on Saturday from Boston were awesome, partying with the bus on Sunday, and having the best fans to rock with on the lawn on Sunday (Dirty Frank, Dirty Frank :lol: ) all made PJ20 something I'll never forget!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    I just think it's funny that I heard similar bitching leaving the venue after Vote For Change in Toledo in 2004. "Neil Young hijacked the show!" and there were actually people at that time who were pissed Neil "took away" from PJ's stagetime - "I paid for a ticket to see Pearl Jam, damnit!" I'm hearing some of the same stuff about Cornell this time around and it reminds me that some folks will just never be satisfied. I'm not sure exactly what you're expectations were for this weekend -- greatest hits? marathon four hour sets? numerous guest spots? And unless you got all of them --- were you planning to be dissapointed? I only saw Sunday night but it was fantastic --- high energy, intense, unpredicatable, and a wonderful celebration of one of my favorite bands.
  • Options
    Just got home from PJ 20. Saturday was terrific, despite the rain...I was on the lawn but the bands were terrific. I loved the camaraderie as the bands played together. But Sunday was pure magic. The set list, the crowd's energy (maybe because it wasn't raining???), the band tempo and attitude....INCREDIBLE. The band seemed genuinely moved by the crowd...we wouldn't let them stop!

I'm from Virginia (DC area) and met people from: Italy, Australia, UK, Costa Rica, Michigan, Seattle, California, etc., etc., etc. Shout out to Kierstan and Brian from Detroit and Big Bryan the Jets fan who sat next to me Sunday night!!!

To the boys in the band...THANK YOU. We're lucky to have you and I'll never forget the weekend. I don't get the bitching...it was a true festival and a true tribute to the history and meaning of PJ. Eddie was terrific playing the side stages Sunday with Hansard, Finn, and John Doe. Thanks to all who attended.

See you at PJ 40!
  • Options
    I said back in '92 that Pearl Jam would be the Zeppelin of the '90s and now that they're starting their third decade, they've actually eclipsed them. While I doubt I or they will live to see a PJ40, I'll settle for a PJ30 in 2021! Let's hope the Mayans got it all wrong. :D

Indy 2010, Indy 2003, Champaign 2003, Cincy 2000, Indy 2000
    Indy 1998, West Lafayette 1994, Chicago-Lollapalooza 1992
    Cincy-Lollapalooza 1992
    ======================================

I pledge my grievance to the flag.
  • Options
    Can't wait for the Toronto shows!

These shows were so ridiculously good, I mean where do you even start?!
    dream the dreams of other men...you will be no one's rival
  • Options
    Besides my marriage and the birth of my kids, this was one of the best weekends of my life. Had a blast hanging out with my PJ family. Hearing Temple both night was a dream come true. Say Hello to Heaven was very emotional (RIP Kelly!!). Thank You Ten Club for my tickets on Sunday 103 row F best seats I've ever had to a PJ show. There was so many songs that were the highlights for me and my wife Smile, Faithful, Just breathe, Unthought Known, ...
    All I can say is what I wrote on the wall outside the museum "Thank You"
    Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    Amen to that. Perspective please people. How many other bands that we all listen to have ever went to the time, trouble and expense to put on a celebratory weekend festival for their fan base? We are unbelievably fortunate to be so hooked on a band that cares about us as much as we do about them. How many fans of other bands can say that? Wow, the silence speaks volumes. Face it, there is no way PJ could possibly appease every fans' wishes and dreams of what this weekend should be. But the fact that that they even went to the effort to try says everying about the character and heart of this band. I am proud and honored to be a fan of PJ and I cannot thank them enough for the glorious weekend that they provided us. PJ -- thank you thank you thank you. It was an experience that I will NEVER forget! And for the record, I thought both shows were EPIC!!! I was lucky to be at the Vic Show in 2007 and Soldier Fileld in 1995 (along with about 23 other PJ concerts) and this weekend blew me away. PJ, you rock!!!!
    Tim

Never underestimate the power of music; it's a beautiful thing.
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    I am going to post this here and on the night 2 fan view, because I typed this email to a friend and I feel like it really captures my emotion of the last two nights, THE greatest two nights of music. From hear on out, I have a new found way to experience the shows. I will never again care about which songs they play or don't play. I went into this weekend with ZERO expectations and came away with such an incredible feeling of joy and just not wanting to leave last night. So some of this may come off as a little odd since most of us were at the show, but this was written to someone who was unable to make it. He is also the person who turned me on to this incredible band and fan base only a few years ago. So here is my fan view for both INCREDIBLE evenings:

I apologize in advance for the length of this. This is the first time I have sat down to collect my thoughts on the shows and I imagine it will be long. (My journalism degree comes through every once in a while!)

So as I am sure you are aware, last night was the second night of what I am convinced were the greatest set of Pearl Jam shows ever. These two shows were absolutely incredible. Two shows, one opened with Release the other with Wash. Both of these songs are my favorite openers. I had been hoping to hear Wash since the shows were announced. To hear two of my top 5 songs ever each night to lead off the nights. Wow.

The first night opened with Release which is THE perfect opener. I would never grow tired hearing it even if they played it at every show.

In my Tree, Faithfull, and then Who You Are, brought me down to only one song left to hear on No Code! In My Tree and Faithfull were so, so good. For the first time ever they played In the Moonlight which was cool then played Deep which was awesome!!! What's coming up, but another one of my top 5: Breath. At this point this show's energy and set list are easily one of the best of the 10 I have been, even better than Philly 4 of the Spectrum (which I never thought could happen). Then they brought Liam Finn out to play the very rare Education which is one of my favorite B-Sides that I never thought in a million years I would hear!

One last thing would set this weekend apart from the rest of PJ shows. Eddie announced Chris Cornell's arrival on stage for a little Temple of the Dog set. I had actually seen Cornell in my first show in LA. This was as cool, but even greater. Wow! The show did seems to end oddly, but my mind wasn't thinking about that. I just couldn't believe how great the show was. The next night should be interesting... I had no idea.

Here is a really interesting thing that I haven't mentioned yet. I had tickets through the 10 Club that I was sharing with a member I met on the message board. Long story short I ended up with a tenth row on aisle just on Mike's side of the stage. I literally won the fan club lottery by going solo and buying my ticket the second of the public on sale. While sitting at the seat, someone comes down and mentions that he thinks I lost my ticket. I look at and notice that it was for Sunday! I mention that the date is wrong as he walks away. Now I have the same incredible seat two nights in a row.

The next day I feel like there is a chance it had to have been someone else's ticket. Sure enough it is. Someone posts on the boards that they lost their seat. I try and try to reach them to no avail. Finally right before the show he arrives. I tell him what happens and the relief on his face is incredible. He bought it for well over face value (around $700!). Amazingly enough we both are to hang out at the seat. Needless to say my honesty in the situation pays off!

I had posted a message on the board about how Wash hadn't been played much since 2000 and would be a great opener for PJ 20. Like I mentioned earlier it was my top song that I had left to hear. When they opened the second night with it, wow was I happy!

I had a feeling the show was going to be spectacular and even better than the night before. I was so right. The Fixer, Severed Hand (yet another favorite!). Then Eddie tells a story about Roskilde and mentions the other unfortunate events at concert venues lately. I knew Love Boat Captain was coming! It was a long time coming, but this year, I really grew to love this song and it is played so rarely these days. It was incredible, Boom was so awesome and the band just blew me away! It gave me chills! They followed it up with Habit. Apparently it was the one song that Liam Finn wanted to hear, so they brought him on stage and he sang it with Eddie. His energy was awesome!! Not sure if you are familiar with him, but he was going crazy up there!! Hearing Habit, I have now finished No Code which might be my favorite record. (Yield is right there too)

The set continued and arrived at Eddie talking about how he wanted Stone to play a certain song, I figured it was Mankind which is ehh, but when he finished the story, he said that Stone said No Way to playing it... And into No Way the went!! I know you heard it in Philly and wow was it good!!

Cornell came out for a set that was much better than the night before. His voice blows me away! They left the stage for the second time and then came out for a third encore. One last song that I was looking forward to hearing and that was Sonic Reducer. So awesome!! Then they wrapped the show with Alive, Rockin in the Free World and Ledbetter. The last encore was SO loud!! The crowd was going bonkers the whole time. It was so absolutely incredible. I saw a cool video that PJ posted on their official you tube page. It was a very high quality video which gets me excited to think that maybe, some day they will release it as a DVD. The bands energy was so awesome and they were having an absolute blast more than I had ever seen! Videos or otherwise.

I am still not believing how awesome this whole thing was. and to all the people I met along the way: I know I will forget some names, but you know who you are: Dave from Albany, Adam, Russ, Jeff, Ms. Honeymeister (forgot your name sorry!, Dimitris, Ed, Lance (I still am not giving you your poster :mrgreen:, Bernie, Zack (dude watching you rock out behind me was almost as awesome as the show itself, can't wait to join you for a show someday!), Mark, BRAD KLAUSEN!!!! (one of the coolest guys ever), all of the poster artists were incredibly gracious. and to all those who didn't make it, my good friend Aaron, Adam from NYC (get_right), but most all to Nick from Philly who introduced me to this band when I knew absolutely nothing about them, I just happened to listen to him on the WMMR morning show and grabbed PJ's greatest hits on October 17, 2008. Unreal this ride with this band.
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    After this weekend, I've officially seen No Way TWICE, Push Me, Pull Me, and Fatal, but I've never heard Corduroy or Hail, Hail live. What are the odds of that? Haha.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    For anyone concerned about the floating tea light: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=168597
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Abe Froman wrote:
    I have two words for this entire festival...MIKE MCCREADY!!!!!!!!!

exactly...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I dont post on these boards often, but I wanted to share what I thought was so special about this weekend. I have been following the boys since I was in college with my first show in 92. PJ has been the soundtrack to my life over the past 20 years. Almost every song brings me back to a different place in my past, some of those memories are good while others not so great. But they always bring me back to something. There are not many bands who have been around long enough to span college/post college/Marriage/Kids/etc but They have done that for many of us.....What was so special about this weekend was that I was surrounded by 35,000 people who feel the exact same way as I do. I have been to 28 shows over the past 20 years and each one stands on it's own merits. To me this stood out not because of the set list, or the venue, or the guests. It was as if 35K people were one. It was like being a a tiny little Ten Club show, yet it was with 35K people. Everyone knew every song, every lyric and most importantly it meant as much to them as it did me......To those of you who were at Alpine VAlley, I thank you for for making this weekend one I will never forget...That was what it was all about for me
    UMASS 92, Boston 94, Boston 94, Hartford 96, Great Woods1 98, GW2 98, GW1 00, GW2 00, Phila 03, GW1 03, GW2 03, GW3 03, Boston1 04, Boston 2 04, Atlantic City 05, Phila 05, Chicago 06, Camden 06, Camden 08, GW 08, Phila Spectrum 3 09, Bristow 10, MSG 1 10, MSG 2 10, PJ 20 E Troy 1&2 11', Wrigley 13', Phila 1 13', Phila 2 13', Hartford 13', Baltimore 13', Denver 14' Phila 1&2 16', MSG 1&2 16', Boston 16', Chicago 16', MSG 17', Wrigley 1&2 18', Fenway 1 18', Ohana Fest 21'
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    :geek:
    Night 1???

I sat/stood for 2 hours thinking...WTF is this all about??? Im 20 or so rows from the stage...The sound blows...Im not getting in to this setlist at all...Can some tell Cornell to get the fuck off the stage....Blah Blah Blah....

It was worse than Cincy....

24 hours later...
    I am a mile and a half away from the stage....The sound is PERFECT....And I have lifted PjScreamer over my head, and am airplane spinning him......Night 2 rocked...

Glad u had a good time...me personally i would rather be with my friends in the 1st row..but whatever works for you :mrgreen:

Again glad it wound up good
    If you give me a choice of sitting 1st row with 1 friend....

Or go sit with 5-10 friends in the last row on the lawn.....

I will sit with my friends in the last row...
    No questions asked......
    ill never get tired to say WHY GA shows wins to this comparison.....
    rock with ALL your friends and not just one,and if u dont score ticket,maybe isnt even your friend is the best thing..
    Pearl Jam on stage and your pj brothers and sister is the things ever....
    night 2?...with Black Diamond,Hinn,Irish Al...pfff..holy shit..

and during Black...the best line ever..."Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!" :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    This was the greatest concert by any band I have ever been to! Tailgaiting before the shows was so much fun. I think the rain on the first night actually added to the whole thing. We hung out with some really cool people before the show. Unfortunately the group that was originally next to us in the parking lot had a family emergency and had to leave, but it made room from some cool guys from Chicago. Then add 4 awesome girls from Jersey/Philly that were living it up with their 40's and we had a really cool pre-show party!

I used to be one that would let 1 or two song make or break a show, but not this one. I could care less what the next song was going to be because I was just so into the whole vibe. The setlist from the first night was great hearing some of the deeper tracks. I didn't care whether or not I heard any of my favorites, although RVM, Stardog Champion and Say Hello to Heaven, Porch and Realease were definately standouts. I think I was personally more fired up the first night. The ending of Kick Up the Jam seemed out of place at first, but if you think of it as just a really long intermission, it made sense.

The atmosphere the second night was totally different, but I was able to stand (no way I was sitting down)in way better seats than I anticipated (201 on McCready's side). The energy that the band gave off was incredible! They were having so much fun, and the crowd interaction was fantastic. They definately did this for us, and the way they set up the two completely different setlists was perfect. I got to hear nearly every one of my favorite songs off each album...Black, RVM, Satan's Bed, Habit, LBC, Severed Hand, Unthought Known (only missed Nothing as it Seems.)It was great to see Chris join them, although I thought the first night was better than the second which seemed to slow down the show. But in no way was I dissappointed.

HIghlight for me was definately Spin the Black Circle. I have never seen anyone have as much fun on the stage as Eddie, Jeff and Mike did during this song. Mike was off the hook and in rare form. I actually have a video I will post shortly of this. Anyways, I will never forget either of these shows. Thanks Pearl Jam for giving this to us!
  • Options
    Best. Weekend. Ever.

You really can't get any better than the combination of those two sets.

Great meeting so many fans (Brendan from Australia, Mike from New York, etc.)

Plus....No Way and Satan's Bed in the same set...wow...and the It's Okay daughter tag...shit.

So much enjoyment. So many smiles. So many tears.

Love it. Thank you to all those involved!
    I am fuel, you are friends.