Options

*** Pearl Jam - PJ 20 Show 2 Fanviews Here ***

Comments

• Options
    A drier happier mind set for night 2. It was completely awesome to walk around that venue and hear all the different languages being spoke. The Church Of Pearl Jam is a powerful, powerful force…. And a language we all speak.

Tonight I was able to hear All Night, Pilate and No Way for the first time… Red Mosquito, Leatherman, Satans Bed and The Fixer were killer as always…

Glen Hansard on Smile was amazing (that guys is just awesome).

The show that was absolutely brilliant. Hopefully nobody in 203 was hurt with the stupid mini hot air balloon that crashed down there. The idiot award goes out to the douche who launched that in a venue with over 30,000 people. Great idea…

The show that seemed to go on forever just like the weekend itself, all ended way way to soon. I think my passion for the band has increased a bunch, which I thought was impossible to do….

Thank you….
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    MW3384MW3384 Posts: 122
    The weekend was so awesome! I created a shutterfly share site for pictures from the PJ20 weekend.
    Would love if everyone who wants to share their experience (pictures, etc) would do so.
    You can access it by this link: http://pj20picturesmemories.shutterfly.com/
    I went ahead and uploaded some of mine and will add some more soon. You can add your own pictures (Add Album) and don't forget to sign the guest book!
  • Options
    Man...I really don't even know where to start. Truly a fantastic weekend.

Thank you to Lance and Tara and all the Wis. locals....not to mention Butch, his wife and Matt and Laura! You guys were/are awesome.

Thank you a million times over to PJ and their crew....and all the bands that played.

Awesome time...just awesome.
  • Options
    TERESAFLOWERSTERESAFLOWERS vancouver,wa Posts: 10
    WAS AMAZING!!! Ed's improv song brought me to tears.LOVED the show both nights.thanks to everyone
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    Another good night, but standing at the lawn so far from the stage sucked. Alpine Valley-type arenas are not for me, I guess.

Best songs for me were daughter and spin the black cirkle (was really needed after a period of more mundane songs)

Oh, and star spangled banner is a crappy way to end YB. Especially at such an international event.

But overall PJ20 was a great weekend :-)

Wow dude, all you did was complain and then you ended with "it was a great weekend."

And what's wrong with playing Star Spangled Banner? I remember Brit flags being all over the screen during several Oasis shows I've been to and I don't remember going on the Internet & complaining about it.

Just because I had a few gripes doesn't mean I didn't have an amazing weekend. Sorry for sounding negative, but now looking back I only think about the countless awesome things I experienced.

One thing I'm curious about is why the lawn fan club area wasn't packed on sunday. Plenty of space. Was it the same on saturday?
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    As I posted on another thread (for those who are upset about some not loving the setlist):

Don't worry about those who are expressing their dislike for the setlist(s). It is their right to have an opinion. Think about the law of percentages: if you have 30,000 people attending an event like this, the percentages are that 5% or so won't enjoy it. That's a very small number relative to the whole. Besides, you can't please everyone; it is simply impossible.

There are some people who don't like Empire Strikes Back. Go figure. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Awesome weekend, great shows, great crowd, amazing vibe, memories for a lifetime...

That being said, my heart just skipped a beat when I saw that Crown of Thorns was skipped on Night 2 :( I think playing ToTD stuff 2 nights in a row definitely killed the mystic aura of the reunion... maybe just skip Reach Down (for the 2nd night) and playing COT? Ugh, that sucks, and I wish I hadnt seen the setlist :shock:

Or maybe tell Ed and Stone not to waste 2 minutes fighting over No Way. In retrospect, the crowd shouldn't have forced them to play No Way, because thats probably what we heard instead of Crown....

Anyways, thats really the only negative of the entire weekend for me. I am still on Cloud Nine and am so thankful that PJ20 was in my backyard, and I got to meet so many of you lovely 10Clubbers!!!! See ya at PJ30?!?!
  • Options
    If anybody remembers me, I was the Super Sonic Turtle Man in Green!! Thank you all for making this so special, taking pics with me and my friends, fun and magical to remember for ALL TIME!!!

What a fantastic time, with just fantastic people!! Couldn't have gone
    any smoother for 7 guys traveling and taking care of everything with no
    bitching, or complaining. We were all on the same level of lets just
    make this the best time ever, and we did that! All of us deserve a
    little MVP cred for this trip! It was easy, fun and we were there for
    the same reason....... and now I can finally let it out and after
    sitting on it for 24 hours give you the official PJ BK Review of the
    PJ20 weekend:

As I sit here and think about it I am feeling a little choked up! I'm
    so sad it's over, I'm so sad that this concert, that I looked forward
    to all summer and knowing how unbelievalbe special it really was going
    to be is over now. But I know we did the best we can, for the band
    that did their best back!!

I honestly think that this event was "too big" for them, and they were
    trying to catch up to all the emotions and fun that everybody was
    having and at the same time having to put on a spectacle of a
    concert.....and I think they did the best under the unbelievable
    pressure, as they were having so much fun - of being the greatest rock
    band that we will ever know.

Taking both nights into consideration I must say that the feeling of
    being in that
    amphitheatre for night two and being involved in that show surrounded
    by 40.000 Pearl Jam Ten club Members yelling, screaming and singing
    every single word out of Eddie's mouth was something I will never
    forget!! The sight of the crowd jumping up and down when 'Given to
    Fly' takes off in the middle was one of the most insane things I've
    ever seen, looked like a sea of people with waves crashing like a fist
    to his jaw (BIG PUN INTENDED)!!. Being in that moment was fucking
    awesome and being in the seats was a whole different world!! But just
    knowing you guys were up there on the lawn, we were all part of this
    together!!!

Obviously the 2nd night was more of a complete PJ show, as the first
    night was a celebration of everything that has happened for this band
    to be here today! How many bands do you know, who throw a 20th
    anniversary party, has the lead singer leave the stage, knowing that if
    Andy had never passed, and Cornell was never there, that this band and
    our lives would be completely different. That first night was MAGICAL
    in so many ways, maybe not spectacular, but it didn't need to be, you
    can never duplicate that magic that was going on that night!!

BK Song Highlights, if I can remember them all, which I can't now, and
    I'm not looke it up....

-Release was very special, see my other posts of Release@MSG, or my profile......
    -First Night "Temple of the Dog" Set was MAGIC, NEVER Ever did I think
    I WOULD EVER see those songs EVER played the way they were played that
    night - and that's as a full Temple of the Dog with Cornell!!!
    - Eddie and Chris sharing the ending of Hunger Stike was incredible to
    watch on the screen
    - Love Reign WAS SICK!!!!!!!!
    - BLACK!!
    - as I said before the 'Given to Fly' was awesome!
    - Every time Eddie talked, I just love it!!!
    - Daughter ---> (It's OK) , was probably the most happiest,
    Exhilarating, emotional point for me for the whole weekend to the point
    of I lost all control of my emotions - looking at Schwartz with a
    complete teared up face, with a look I can imagine of "Ultimatley Being
    in the Moment" - and that's what it was all about - that was so fucking
    amazing - I can' t wait to hear it again.
    - Rockin' in the Free World was Great - with all the artists up thre
    going NUTSO!!
    Love Boat Capt!!!
    SMILE WAS GREAT!!!
    Habit was so much fun and great with Liam Finn!!!
    SONIC REDUCER WAS HEAVY AS FUCK with the Mudhoney boys!!!!!
    - ending solo by Mike with the band watching from the back!!

WHAT A WEEKEND EVERYBODY!!! THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS SO SPECIAL FOR ME
    AND SHARING THIS AMAZING WEEKEND WITH OUR MOST AMAZING BAND!!!!!

I Love you -

BK (aka Super Sonic Turle Man)

and if I can jus give a shout out to "slightofjeff", this is an excerpt from his amazing review. When we read this Mon morning in the hotel room, you had three grown men choked up fighting back the tears:

There really was a true anniversary vibe running through the whole
    affair. From the choice of songs, to the special guests, to the remarks
    Ed made ...it really was a celebration of how lucky we are that the
    band we all love, the band that's gotten us all through so much shit,
    the band that's been there for the down times, and the deaths in the
    family, and the breakups and the marriages and the births of our
    children, the band that always seems to be there when we need them,
    that in many ways has been the most stable relationship in our lives
    ... that band is still around, even after all these years.
    "See the path Cut by the Moon, for you to Walk On"
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    thinking back due to trying not to have expectations..or maybe just forgetting to hope for it. i never thought i'd hear "no way". i think i just stared, smiled and muttered..."no way dude". then jumped around like an idiot
  • Options
    megatron wrote:
    thinking back due to trying not to have expectations..or maybe just forgetting to hope for it. i never thought i'd hear "no way". i think i just stared, smiled and muttered..."no way dude". then jumped around like an idiot

"I said, 'Stone, we gotta play that song. We gotta play it. Matt said we gotta play it. And all he said was, 'No way.' "
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Or maybe tell Ed and Stone not to waste 2 minutes fighting over No Way. In retrospect, the crowd shouldn't have forced them to play No Way, because thats probably what we heard instead of Crown....

I think the whole thing was an act, a set-up, for Ed to make his "Stone said no way" joke.
  • Options
    I think the whole thing was an act, a set-up, for Ed to make his "Stone said no way" joke.

I think it was real. Stone was changing the tuning on his guitar when it looked like they'd go straight to "Public Image," and had to swap guitars with his tech to go ahead and do "No Way." I was worried he was a little pissed (I was too far to see faces with the naked eye and only occasionally looked up at the screen, which was just above me), and almost had the same vibe when he jumped into "Alive" before Ed was done talking, but from what everyone else says, it all seemed playful.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Spoony C wrote:

I think it was real. Stone was changing the tuning on his guitar when it looked like they'd go straight to "Public Image," and had to swap guitars with his tech to go ahead and do "No Way." I was worried he was a little pissed (I was too far to see faces with the naked eye and only occasionally looked up at the screen, which was just above me), and almost had the same vibe when he jumped into "Alive" before Ed was done talking, but from what everyone else says, it all seemed playful.

yea i was right in front of stone and at first looked annoyed cause i thought they were making him do mankind
  • Options
    Spoony C wrote:

It was all part of the act. Have you seen Singles? Stone's got acting chops!
  • Options
    being in that
    together!!!

This. A thousand times this.

This is what you can't rightly explain to someone following the setlist at home on their Blackberry. It didn't really matter *what* they played. It was about all of us being there together, with our band.
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    being in that
    together!!!

This is what you can't rightly explain to someone following the setlist at home on their Blackberry. It didn't really matter *what* they played. It was about all of us being there together, with our band.

Yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    whygohome wrote:
    being in that
    together!!!

Growing up in Texas, the nearest Major League baseball team is in Houston. I'm not an Astros fan or anything, but that's where we saw most of our games. Nobody really gives a shit about the Astros, even the people who go to see them play regularly. You go and eat your hot dog and drink your flat beer, and maybe cheer if something awesome happens.

Then, I went to a Cubs-Brewers game at Wrigley in 2007, and it was a whole different experience. People hung on every pitch. There was a buzz in the ballpark from the first inning to the last. When something truly spectacular happened, the place went apeshit.

PJ20 was like watching the Cubs in the friggin' World Series, the way the energy flowed between the band and the crowd. Everything else is like watching a regular-season game in Houston. A nice time, and every so often you get a really great game -- but it never hits transcendence.

PJ20 hit transendence.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,106
    As uneven as I thought Saturday was, Sunday blew the doors off. I'm a huge Queens fan and was stoked they only repeated two songs from Saturday (having Ed join them on Little Sister, I guess technically only one true repeat). I'm glad they flexed their muscles and played The Fun Machine Took a Shit and Died. Really hope they came away from this with a bunch of new fans.

The boys seemed way more focused, yet less tense on Sunday. The main set was a monster. If you're gonna dig out songs you don't play often, Pilate and Habit are much stronger choices than the most obscure Lost Dogs. After seeing that main set crest and then break with Black and Jeremy, I will never understand the obsession with hearing songs like Help Help and Push Me, Pull Me instead. The vibe from the crowd is like night and day. We can agree to disagree, but are clearly experiencing two different things.

I thought the buzz of the main set followed by the easy pace of the first encore set up the Temple of the Dog set perfectly. (Starting an encore with RVM then moving into TotD felt really disjointed). All Night Thing and Call Me a Dog are two of my favorites and Reach Down was much tighter than Saturday. Capping the second encore with Sonic Reducer really made it feel complete.

Alive/RITFW/Yellow Ledbetter is always a great way to end a show and it really drove the point of the weekend home when they brought everyone out on stage. (Everyone except for the Queens, of course. Let your mind wander with whatever those dirty bastards may have been up to.)

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend and a powerhouse show on Sunday completely scrubbed the weird feeling I was left with after Saturday. Looking forward to the next chapter.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    After seeing that main set crest and then break with Black and Jeremy, I will never understand the obsession with hearing songs like Help Help and Push Me, Pull Me instead. The vibe from the crowd is like night and day. We can agree to disagree, but are clearly experiencing two different things.

I get what you're saying here, but I feel like we got the best of both worlds over the course of the weekend. My biggest fear was that we were going to lose 15 minutes with Ed to fucking around with Bugs like in Philly. Glad that didn't come to fruition, and the obscure songs weren't *that* obscure.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,106
    pjl44 wrote:
    After seeing that main set crest and then break with Black and Jeremy, I will never understand the obsession with hearing songs like Help Help and Push Me, Pull Me instead. The vibe from the crowd is like night and day. We can agree to disagree, but are clearly experiencing two different things.

I get what you're saying here, but I feel like we got the best of both worlds over the course of the weekend. My biggest fear was that we were going to lose 15 minutes with Ed to fucking around with Bugs like in Philly. Glad that didn't come to fruition, and the obscure songs weren't *that* obscure.

For me, a few of the songs they played Saturday aren't that far removed from Bugs. I think they'd get a much stronger reaction with a Tremor Christ, All Those Yesterdays, or anything off Binaural. They usually drop a couple in and it's cute, but I felt like they hit them hard Saturday and it put things in a bit of a rut. Nevertheless, Sunday was one hell of an experience...what a day.
  • Options
    AndiM wrote:
    Brilliant show. The only minor (!) complaint: I would have traded "Hungerstrike" and "Reach Down" for "All those Yesterdays" and "Crown of Thornes", after they were skipped yesterday. Playing Hungerstrike two shows in a row ... Don't know. Seems to take the mythic aura a bit away from it. But anyways: Great show, good setlist and a lot of fun.

Special greetings to the two American soccer fans behind us (201 SS if my mind still works after this long day): Jürgen Klinsmann still sucks at tactics ;), but maybe it will work out, hehe.

Great call on Crown of Thornes and I couldn't agree more. Amazing show both nights and absolutely touched the soul, however..would have been even more euphoric if crown of thornes was played instead of Hungerstrike (agree with the taking away the aura). it was the perfect opportunity, i was waiting for it.
  • Options
    An epic weekend! Alpine Valley was magnificent (even in the rain), so many amazing people from all over the World. The bands were terrific, PJ's set lists were perfect (so happy to have heard "Smile" and "Red Mosquito," opening with "Release" is always nice)! Temple of the Dog reunion: outstanding! If only Ben Harper, Social D, and Bad Religion had been there! Thanks to PJ for 20 years of incredible music, and another huge thank you for letting us experience a little piece of history!

Cheers,

A.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    pjl44 wrote:
    Alive/RITFW/Yellow Ledbetter is always a great way to end a show and it really drove the point of the weekend home when they brought everyone out on stage.

The perfect way to end the 20 year celebration.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    After this weekend my show count officially surpassed my age. Night 2 - SMILE. Blew me away. I just kept thinking how I wished that moment would never end. It was one of the 3 songs that I chose as the ones I'd like to hear the most over on the Porch thread. I'm glad the shows felt so personal and unique. I didn't know it was possible to fall in love with this band even more. Thank you PJ.
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    After this weekend my show count officially surpassed my age.
    that's impressive.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    After this weekend my show count officially surpassed my age. Night 2 - SMILE. Blew me away. I just kept thinking how I wished that moment would never end. It was one of the 3 songs that I chose as the ones I'd like to hear the most over on the Porch thread. I'm glad the shows felt so personal and unique. I didn't know it was possible to fall in love with this band even more. Thank you PJ.
    nice meeting u.. ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    cd21miller wrote:
    22nd show tonight...

1) a magical weekend. 2 different shows, but the fact is, nonone should or could complain. Especially after tonight.

2) 20 years means they can play or do what they want, in my opinion. This weekend was as much for them as for us. No beef with anything from
    The weekend.

3) show highlights: no way, habit (not a huge fan of the song, but Liam turned it up a notch or 6) new world (for my wife), smile with hansard was great, satan's bed was Ed at his best and STBC was awesome.

Couldn't ask for a better birthday weekend. Love to my family and friends for making it all happen.

See you all soon!

It was my birthday weekend also and by far the best birthday weekend I've ever had!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    whygohome wrote:
    being in that
    together!!!

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I didn't think that night 2 could be that much more amazing than night 1, but it was....the entire day was.

I have not had the chance to go to as many shows a lot of others on this board....this weekend made shows 5&6 for me. These were by far the most AMAZING Pearl Jam shows I have attended. The energy from the crowd was unbelievable....listening to that many people sing along to the songs just made me smile.

There were so many moments that made this night great - Habit, Satan's Bed, Smile, Spin the Black Circle, Rockin' in the Free World, listening to Eddie between songs, watching the bands reaction to crowd and more.

My husband is not a huge Pearl Jam fan, but has graciously attended 5 out of 6 of these shows with me. He had a great time watching Queens of the Stoneage and the Strokes and was absolutely thrilled to see Chris Cornell both nights. When we got home he told me that this weekend made him like Pearl Jam more...I think that says a lot about what this weekend was.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    For me, a few of the songs they played Saturday aren't that far removed from Bugs.

The problem with Night 1 is that it was too short, even at 2:30 or 2:45. After Cornell did his thing, Pearl Jam has played a bunch of covers and obscure songs, there wasn't much time left for much else.

The approach wasn't all that different in Night 2. There was just more time to include more crowd-pleasers.

That said, Night 1 did include Betterman, SOLAT, Porch, Breath, DTE ... songs even those who lost track of the band at the turn of the century would still recognize. On top of that, I thought Education and Setting Forth kicked major ass, and I've always thought Push Me, Pull Me was a vastly underrated song (if Ed sang the verses instead of spoke them, it would be a fan favorite).

In the Moonlight has always been a little "meh" for me.