Cancer....really?

Comments

• imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    ^^^^^

hmmm....I really don't know what to say....since I've made it a point to remain ignorant of "girl stuff" :lol:

seriously, if you TRUST your doc, I would go with his/her advice. if not, get a second opinion.....which, I know, is hard because you want this cancer out NOW!

hang in there.

+1
    "+1" except for the ignorance of girl stuff, I would presume :lol:

Yes! :lol:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Well all....I just got out of my drs for a second time this week. And just when you thought you heard it all...let me tell you...YOU HAVEN'T!! I had some great news and some not so great news. The great news...my bloodwork from this morning is back already and leveling itself out. :mrgreen::mrgreen: The not so great news...they are leaving my ovaries in now. :o :shock: :( The oncologist re-ran the biopsies of the ovaries and says I do NOT have ovarian cancer :shock: so they find it unethical to take my ovaries at such a young age. I say fuck it and take them. What is the sense in leaving them in there if everything else is coming out? I don't get it. I mean, it's great that I don't have ovarian cancer but come on...just take them out. Why take a risk of it happening there if I already have cervical cancer? Why put my body through another surgery down the line? Why take the "what if" chance?

To say the least, I'm floored and shocked and disappointed all at the same time. I am trying to fight with my dr to just go ahead and take them anyway. But at this point, he is very adiment that he is NOT taking them since there is no cancer cells in them.

I'll update more this afternoon. My eyes are blurry from crying this morning after this whole debacle.

i agree with the docs, keep your ovaries! but of course, get a second opinion.
    i would also read as much as possible on the subject.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I have contacted another oncologist and she is looking at the biopsies and analyzing what she can of what is left.

I should hear something by tomorrow she says. :?
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Maybe you can ask if they will take one ovary out. I heard that if they leave one you won't need artificial ones. I understand why they don't want to take them. Its 'cuz you are young to throw into menopause and have a long life left to be under hormone replacement therapy, it has its risks.
    I had both taken, but wish they'd kept one in.
    Save room for dessert!
  • So sorry Sheila...I agree with the others. If you really want them to take everything out during this procedure and your Dr does not agree, I'd seek out another Doc's opinion. When it's all said and done though, do what YOU think is the right thing. *Hugs*
    -Jamie
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • sheila0225 wrote:
    Thanks everyone. I'm trying to stay as positive and upbeat as I can. My doctor caught it in time. He's a pretty amazing guy. They say with cervical and ovarian cancer these days it's pretty much a sure thing to catch it early. In which case they did for me. So after PJ20 I'll have it taken care of and hopefully be on the mends to recovery.

I can not stress enough to you wonderful and amazing ladies. Get your yearly exams and if you feel something is wrong PUSH FOR THE TESTING THAT IS NEEDED!!! It is your body and no one knows your body better than YOU!

You are so right, and attitude is half the battle. Stay positive. I have several close friends that have survived and thrived after ovarian, cervical, and breast cancer. And yes - you need to advocate for yourself. Early detection is key! You will win this fight, and you are surrounded by people who are praying for you. For the fifth time I will be walking 39 miles in october in the Avon Walk for Breast cancer in hopes of finding a cure. I plan to keep walking until we do. Warm regards and best of luck.
    The wisdom that the old can't give away

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    sheila0225 wrote:
    I have contacted another oncologist and she is looking at the biopsies and analyzing what she can of what is left.

Wow!!! Crazy times for you.....
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • sheila0225 wrote:

Glad you did that. Much love, light and hugs.
    Well...the week is here. And I am becoming more and more nervous as the day comes near. The 2nd oncologist has confirmed that I do not have ovarian cancer!! Thank heavens for that. And they are not in agreeance as far as what to do with them. Leave them in or take them out. Oncologist says take them. (And she's a woman) OB/GYN says leave them (he's a man) They are now going head to head as far as what to do with them. There are good and bad things on both sides.

Thank you all for the well wishes and thoughts and prayers and insight into this procedure. I truly appreciate them all. :D
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,942
    Good luck! You'll make the right choice! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I hope they listen to you and trust you. It's your body. I am very glad you got the second opinion and someone to go to bat for you too. I hope everything goes smoothly!

Much love, light and hugs. :mrgreen:
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    Maybe you can ask if they will take one ovary out. I heard that if they leave one you won't need artificial ones. I understand why they don't want to take them. Its 'cuz you are young to throw into menopause and have a long life left to be under hormone replacement therapy, it has its risks.
    I had both taken, but wish they'd kept one in.

I completely agree with this. Being a women of that same certain crappy age as Heather .....if they don't need to take your ovaries....leave them! Menopause is no walk in the park. I have quite a few friends who lost them at a young age due to disease and the quality of their lives was never the same again. With out your hormones at a young age there are lots of other health risks, including osteoporosis.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    Maybe someone can answer this for me...Why is it that family thinks they know your body better than you yourself do? Why do they feel the need to persuade you to do what THEY want you to do to your body? Why is it that some family has a hard time grasping the concept that another family member has cancer? I just don't get it.

Today is a very emotional day for me. I told my older sister what was going on. And she is pretty much telling me that things aren't adding up and that I'm hiding something. And that she had cancer cells before and never did her dr mention a hysterectomy to her. I just don't get it. No wonder why I keep things from my family. NO WONDER!!

Update as far as keeping my ovaries or not! For now I am keeping them. HRT is a tough one for me. And I will now go in every 3 months to have my ovaries tested for cancer cells. As a precautionary measure. And all doctors involved are in agreeance. For the time being. :D

Thanks for reading my venting session
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I know what you are saying. A lot of times people know someone who had something similar to you. They are then conviced that you have the same exact thing and are going to need the same exact treatment as that other person. And you can't tell them any different.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I know what you are saying. A lot of times people know someone who had something similar to you. They are then conviced that you have the same exact thing and are going to need the same exact treatment as that other person. And you can't tell them any different.

That is EXACTLY what is happening with my older sister! She says it's the same EXACT thing she has. It's very frustrating. But is teaching me who I can tell and who I can't tell things to.

This is one reason why I love this PJ community. I can say whatever it is here and no one will try to change my mind. Instead they offer nothing except love, support, thoughts, prayers, and well wishes! I wish THIS community was my actual family. :mrgreen: And I suppose in a way everyone here is family. :mrgreen:
  • Of course we're your family Sheila :D
    Sending good vibes your way today!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Jesus Christ, we're falling apart here. Is everyone on the PJ message boards going through some shit now or am I crazy?

Stick together, guys. Positivity is our strength and our ally.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Wishing for you a successful surgery with an easy COMPLETE recovery. Sending positive vibes out to you.

I am glad you are leaving your ovaries.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Wishing for you a successful surgery with an easy COMPLETE recovery. Sending positive vibes out to you.

I am glad you are leaving your ovaries.

Thanks. :D I was on the fence with it. But considering HRT...I'll pass and be tested more frequently.

It also helps that I'm having the surgery done robotically. Shorter recovery and less invasive they say. So this is a plus as well.
  • I am glad to hear you have reached a decision you are pleased with. :mrgreen: That's really the bottom line.
    Is surgery still the 16th?
    Surgery is the morning of the 16th. Have to be at the hospital by 10:30. Getting nervous more by the day. Its even more scary cuz my mom hasn't returned any of my phone calls so she does not know yet. :( so I've been extremely quiet about it on FB. haven't mentioned it at all on there. :(
  • sheila0225 wrote:
    Surgery is the morning of the 16th. Have to be at the hospital by 10:30. Getting nervous more by the day. Its even more scary cuz my mom hasn't returned any of my phone calls so she does not know yet. :( so I've been extremely quiet about it on FB. haven't mentioned it at all on there. :(

We will all be thinking of you. Just breathe, and concentrate on healing. If you want your mom to be there, tell her. You sound like you really need her right now.

Much love, light and hugs. xo
    sheila0225 wrote:

We will all be thinking of you. Just breathe, and concentrate on healing. If you want your mom to be there, tell her. You sound like you really need her right now.

Much love, light and hugs. xo
    She won't return phone calls. Left her messages telling her I need to talk....and nothing. :( oh well. Life goes on. I will beat this and all will be well. I'm a fighter. :)
  • sheila0225 wrote:
    She won't return phone calls. Left her messages telling her I need to talk....and nothing. :( oh well. Life goes on. I will beat this and all will be well. I'm a fighter. :)

Yes, you truly are. Focus on you, that's what's needed. I will keep you in my thoughts and I look forward to hearing how it went. xo
    sheila0225 wrote:

Yes, you truly are. Focus on you, that's what's needed. I will keep you in my thoughts and I look forward to hearing how it went. xo
    Will do! :)
  • Good luck and hugs and good vibes, Sheila! You are strong and a positive thinker - you will succeed! Keep your positive attitude, sweetheart! ((((hugs))))
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,942
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Surgery is the morning of the 16th. Have to be at the hospital by 10:30. Getting nervous more by the day.
    a few beers the night before couldn't hurt! ;)

it'll all be good. they knock you out and you wake up...cancer free :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Surgery is the morning of the 16th. Have to be at the hospital by 10:30. Getting nervous more by the day.

I'm going to stick with Sangria. My good friend Comebackgirl introduced me to Sangria over PJ20 weekend. That is my new found friend. I'm thinking the rest of the bottle tonight will help. :lol:;)
  • sheila0225 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:

I'm going to stick with Sangria. My good friend Comebackgirl introduced me to Sangria over PJ20 weekend. That is my new found friend. I'm thinking the rest of the bottle tonight will help. :lol:;)
    I would ship you a case if I could :mrgreen: Can you have the margarita? Margarita is damn good!
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    sheila0225 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I would ship you a case if I could :mrgreen: Can you have the margarita? Margarita is damn good!

Haven't tried that one yet. ;) I'll stick with skinny girl for tonight. :mrgreen: