Cancer....really?

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Stay strong and stay positive! I'm glad it was detected early but it's still something I wish you didn't have to go through.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Today I meet with an oncologist and my ob/gyn. I have a feeling the oncologist is going to want to take a conservative approach to this. So I'm really nervous about this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

Thank you all for all the support and thoughts. Means a HUGE amount to me. :D
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Holy shit!!

Haven't been on for a few days so I've only just seen this.

Honestly my thoughts are with you and if there is anything I can do please ask. I know I probably can't do much from over here, but if you want some British goodies sent over please tell me.

{{hug}}
    Claireack wrote:
    Holy shit!!

Haven't been on for a few days so I've only just seen this.

Honestly my thoughts are with you and if there is anything I can do please ask. I know I probably can't do much from over here, but if you want some British goodies sent over please tell me.

{{hug}}

You're so sweet. Thank you. :)
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Today I meet with an oncologist and my ob/gyn. I have a feeling the oncologist is going to want to take a conservative approach to this. So I'm really nervous about this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

I hope they do what you wish and take it all out. Much support, love, light and hugs today!!
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
    sheila0225 wrote:

I hope they do what you wish and take it all out. Much support, love, light and hugs today!!

thanks shimmy! I'm on my way there soon. not looking forward to it. It's quite scary. :(
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    sheila0225 wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:

thanks shimmy! I'm on my way there soon. not looking forward to it. It's quite scary. :(

You are very welcome! Hold your ground with what you feel is best. It's the only way to make sure you have done everything in your power. Keep us posted and stay strong!! XOXO
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    So sorry that you are going through this Sheila! Girls don't put it off, it is never as bad as you think it will be. Thank goodness it has been found soon. Good thoughts and vibes over the ocean to you xoxox
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,461
    Wishing you well and sending positive Chi your way. Focus on the good and well and PJ20! This community is here for you!

Peace.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Paulina87Paulina87 Posts: 3,300
    So sorry to hear that Sheila.....but I'm sure everything will be fine
    I'm wishing you the best and sending hugs and good vibes!!!!
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
    Thank you all. So after much debate and going back and forth on this subject. My doctors and I are in agreeance to go to the extreme to take care of the cancer in me. This has not been an easy decision to say the least.

I am on standby for surgery next week Friday the 9th. Otherwise I go in Friday the 16th to have all cancer taken out. Which pretty much means I will be having a full hysterectomy. Ovaries and all. :( This has been tough on me only because I am so young and I feel like it is taking a part of my womanhood away from me.
    But I must remember, I am blessed with two healthy and beautiful boys. (7 & 3)

I thought brain surgery was a big decision. I think this is bigger. The only thing different is that I got to keep my brain and they verified that I have one. :lol:

If anyone reading this, can please PM if you have gone thru this...not necessarily due to cancer but have a hysterectomy already. How is your life now? Are the hormone therapies really all they are cracked up to be? Or if you feel comfy enough to share here, that is great too. I guess any thoughts, words of advice, or pretty much anything at this point will be helpful. This way I can try and mentally prepare myself for this.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,942
    I had something taken away, too. I feel very badly for you but it's what you have to do (unless someone has suggested an alternative that will make you cancer free). You'll be there for your boys and you will go on living.

my wife had a partial this summer and I have a very good friend who lost the whole works. she has not needed any hormone therapy and has never second guessed her decision.

think positive thoughts and we will all do the same!! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • My heart and thoughts are with you Sheila {{{{hugs}}}}

Kick it in the ass!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • imalive wrote:
    I had something taken away, too. I feel very badly for you but it's what you have to do (unless someone has suggested an alternative that will make you cancer free). You'll be there for your boys and you will go on living.

my wife had a partial this summer and I have a very good friend who lost the whole works. she has not needed any hormone therapy and has never second guessed her decision.

Rob, you are awesome. Sheila, you are awesome. Lots of POSITIVE love, light and hugs to you both! XOXO
    imalive wrote:

Thanks Rob!
  • sheila0225 wrote:
    Like they couldn't have called and said everything looks great...See ya next year. NOPE!! Not this time. My doctor himself called and broke the news. And my doctor never calls me personally. Usually I get to talk to the amazing nurses in his office. Instead I get a personalized phone call from him, on his day off mind you, to come into the office right away. So there I go darting up to the hospital where his office is. And WHAM-O!!! You have cancer Sheila! WTF?!?!?!
    So...next week can not come quick enough. So I can unwind, have a glass of wine, and have a great weekend listening to my favorite band with some pretty amazing people.

End ranting and crying. thanks for listening.

I know these are your first PJ shows, go and enjoy and worry about this next week. Stay positive and I wish you the best.
  • FUCK CANCER.
    :evil: :evil: :evil:

be well and strong sheila, and i hope you are having a BLAST in wisconsin this weekend!!!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I just read this and I am so sad for you. I hope the best for your surgery on 9/9 or 9/16?
    My thought and prayers are with you.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    Claireack wrote:
    How are you doing???

I'm doing well surprisingly. :? :mrgreen: This past weekend was a great break from reality of it all. :mrgreen: Met some amazing people from here and had a great time. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Went for all my pre-op testing yesterday and of course bloodwork is coming back horrible. So I will now have bloodwork done everyday until surgery. :( This Friday the 9th is out of the question now as my kidneys aren't functioning correctly. And my liver enzymes are up a bit. :? So they want to get that under control before they put me through a major surgery. But my drs are very confident that this one surgery will get rid of all the cancer. Fingers crossed on that one.
    sheila0225 wrote:
    But my drs are very confident that this one surgery will get rid of all the cancer. Fingers crossed on that one.
    you can't ask for more than that!! my thoughts are with you! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    edited September 2011
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Thanks everyone. I'm trying to stay as positive and upbeat as I can. My doctor caught it in time. He's a pretty amazing guy. They say with cervical and ovarian cancer these days it's pretty much a sure thing to catch it early. In which case they did for me. So after PJ20 I'll have it taken care of and hopefully be on the mends to recovery.

I can not stress enough to you wonderful and amazing ladies. Get your yearly exams and if you feel something is wrong PUSH FOR THE TESTING THAT IS NEEDED!!! It is your body and no one knows your body better than YOU!
    I had cervical cancer many years ago. The part that you wrote about "PUSHING FOR TESTS" is crucial. I knew something was wong and my paps kept coming back positive, but my docs were saying just to come have paps more often and they didn't do anything else. I said, B, S. and that the bad cells are coming from somewhere, so I want more tests to find them. The doc looked funny at me and then agreed! The first test was that microscope thing they use, and it showed that no bad cells were on the surface of my cervix...again they said they would just do paps more often. Again, I intevned and said, B.S., the bad cells are coming from somewhere, so they dilated me and did a biopsy...BINGO...I had stage II cervical cancer. If I had just let them do what they kept proposing, by the time they would had found the cells on the surface of my cervix, it would have had to spread all over the place.
    So, I had a hysterectomy many years ago and have been fine since. I had my ovaries removed at that time also, because I just didn't want any more risks.
    Good luck to you. Stay positive and everyone remember...YOU are the one responsible for your health...not the doc, but YOU!!! Ask questions, get answers! If your doc isn't doing what he/she should...change docs!
    Post edited by Heatherj43 on
    Save room for dessert!
  • imalive wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:
    But my drs are very confident that this one surgery will get rid of all the cancer. Fingers crossed on that one.
    you can't ask for more than that!! my thoughts are with you! :mrgreen:

+1 Lots of love, light and hugs. Thank you for the update.
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    edited September 2011
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Thank you all. So after much debate and going back and forth on this subject. My doctors and I are in agreeance to go to the extreme to take care of the cancer in me. This has not been an easy decision to say the least.

I am on standby for surgery next week Friday the 9th. Otherwise I go in Friday the 16th to have all cancer taken out. Which pretty much means I will be having a full hysterectomy. Ovaries and all. :( This has been tough on me only because I am so young and I feel like it is taking a part of my womanhood away from me.
    But I must remember, I am blessed with two healthy and beautiful boys. (7 & 3)

I thought brain surgery was a big decision. I think this is bigger. The only thing different is that I got to keep my brain and they verified that I have one. :lol:

If anyone reading this, can please PM if you have gone thru this...not necessarily due to cancer but have a hysterectomy already. How is your life now? Are the hormone therapies really all they are cracked up to be? Or if you feel comfy enough to share here, that is great too. I guess any thoughts, words of advice, or pretty much anything at this point will be helpful. This way I can try and mentally prepare myself for this.
    For me, the hormones are lousy!! Its been 15 years and it seems that only in the past 6 months are they working acceptably! Prior to my surgery I had asked lots of women about hormones and almost all said they were great. WRONG! I think they said that 'cuz most of them had bad endometritis (sp?) and at least the pain was gone, but for me, the hormones never were even close to like my own. I still had very intese hot flashes, night sweats, etc and 'cuz I was thrown into menopause via surgery, I never got to the "other side" of it like women who go through it naturally. BUT, its better than not having surgery. I will say that I used the pills for 2 years and then switched to the hormone patches...huge difference. The patches seem to give you a steady, even flow of hormones, where the pills would peak and lower every day. I felt like a yo-yo!
    SO, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PILLS...TRY THE PATCH. You change it weekly, so instead of the hormones fluctuating daily, they are steady thru the whole week.

One last thing, I have still had to have yearly paps. I guess we can still get cancer in the tissue that remains in the vagina, so they still have to do testing. One time, I got a positive pap a few years after surgery...I freaked!! The doc said that most cervical cancer is caused by HPV and that once you have HPV it never goes away, therefore, it will show up in paps now and then and give you bad cells.
    That is why all women who can get the vaccine for HPV should!!
    Post edited by Heatherj43 on
    Save room for dessert!
    Well all....I just got out of my drs for a second time this week. And just when you thought you heard it all...let me tell you...YOU HAVEN'T!! I had some great news and some not so great news. The great news...my bloodwork from this morning is back already and leveling itself out. :mrgreen::mrgreen: The not so great news...they are leaving my ovaries in now. :o :shock: :( The oncologist re-ran the biopsies of the ovaries and says I do NOT have ovarian cancer :shock: so they find it unethical to take my ovaries at such a young age. I say fuck it and take them. What is the sense in leaving them in there if everything else is coming out? I don't get it. I mean, it's great that I don't have ovarian cancer but come on...just take them out. Why take a risk of it happening there if I already have cervical cancer? Why put my body through another surgery down the line? Why take the "what if" chance?

To say the least, I'm floored and shocked and disappointed all at the same time. I am trying to fight with my dr to just go ahead and take them anyway. But at this point, he is very adiment that he is NOT taking them since there is no cancer cells in them.

I'll update more this afternoon. My eyes are blurry from crying this morning after this whole debacle.
    ^^^^^

hmmm....I really don't know what to say....since I've made it a point to remain ignorant of "girl stuff" :lol:

seriously, if you TRUST your doc, I would go with his/her advice. if not, get a second opinion.....which, I know, is hard because you want this cancer out NOW!

hang in there.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    ^^^^^

hmmm....I really don't know what to say....since I've made it a point to remain ignorant of "girl stuff" :lol:

seriously, if you TRUST your doc, I would go with his/her advice. if not, get a second opinion.....which, I know, is hard because you want this cancer out NOW!

hang in there.

+1
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    get a second opinion sheila...something doesn't sound right to me
    imalive wrote:
    ^^^^^

hang in there.

+1
    "+1" except for the ignorance of girl stuff, I would presume :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    norm wrote:
    get a second opinion sheila...something doesn't sound right to me

Agree, I would want err on the side of caution.