just lose Just Breathe

Comments

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    StillHere wrote:
    PKTrekGirl wrote:
    Still waiting for a show in or around Atlanta where they actually play it. A lot of albums out since 2003. :P

You poor people up north. Pearl Jam really makes you suffer, don't they? Coming back over and over and over...and playing all these damn SONGS. It must be just TERRIBLE for you to have to suffer through Just Breathe yet AGAIN. :lol:

you're right.
    we're overly spoiled
    i will NEVER complain about anything PJ/Ed chooses to play..Ever.
    That is all.

I only complain about Yellow Ledbetter. Never liked the recorded version and certainly cringe everytime I hear the first notes live.

Right now, Alive deserves to be that closing song IMO

I love YLB and Alive and all the classics
    They play them every time yes...but really how often do you get to hear it live?
    And the beauty of it is that its never quite the same twice
    That's what's so magical about a Live PJ show
    I used to not like Evacuation so very much
    But it grows on you
    I can't complain ever..I am just grateful to have gotten tickets
    yes, sometimes maybe there's something I would have rather heard instead of what I did hear
    (example I could have done w/o Betterman Lullabye at the Philly Ed Show) but I will not complain
    Because what I DID hear far outweighs whatever minor issue I may have had with what I might not have appreciated all that much at the time
    Just relax and Enjoy!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    please weigh in, Chairman norm ;)

only because you're not feeling well will i participate on the porch ;):lol:

pj/ed can play whatever songs they want whenever they want and i'll gladly enjoy listening to them

however

how bout he ditch the strings and acoustic and punk it out...you've heard of slow lukin, we need fast just breathe!

:mrgreen:
  • jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    I like "Just Breathe," but I agree, give it a rest...we'll enjoy it more when it's pulled out as an occasional thing instead. I feel the same way about "Even Flow," "Alive" and just about any cover song too.

They've spoiled us with set lists of huge variety/unpredictability!
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    StillHere wrote:
    They play them every time yes...but really how often do you get to hear it live?
    But it grows on you
    yes, sometimes maybe there's something I would have rather heard instead of what I did hear
    (example I could have done w/o Betterman Lullabye at the Philly Ed Show) but I will not complain
    Because what I DID hear far outweighs whatever minor issue I may have had with what I might not have appreciated all that much at the time
    Just relax and Enjoy!

I've been to 22 shows and YL closed the show 14 times. So I've seen it a lot and it's old now.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:

pj/ed can play whatever songs they want whenever they want and i'll gladly enjoy listening to them

however

how bout he ditch the strings and acoustic and punk it out...you've heard of slow lukin, we need fast just breathe!

Awesome idea! And I also love Yellow Led and Alive and KORIFW and Betterman and all of the consistently kick-ass tunes. They could play "Fuck Me In The Brain" again and I would like that too. [But only if drunken idiots are throwing shoes at them the whole time.]
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    StillHere wrote:
    But it grows on you
    Just relax and Enjoy!

I've been to 22 shows and YL closed the show 14 times. So I've seen it a lot and it's old now.

yes i get that
    but what I'm saying is
    LIVE is different than listening in the car or on your stereo
    For the most part I don't listen to the PJ "standards" at home
    Cuz they DO get old
    That's why I enjoy them so much live
    and you have to admit Mike kills YLB with the SBB at the end
    I dunno..for me it never gets old live
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    StillHere wrote:
    But it grows on you
    Just relax and Enjoy!

I hope you're ready for 15 and 16. :thumbup:
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    They won't close with it both nights at PJ20.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Don't get rid of it. Chicks dig it. Also since it comes in at the end of the first encore, it seems it gives the rest of the band more of a break, better to rock out the rest of the show. Finally, its better than The End and definitely Soon Forget (not a big fan).

Not THIS chick she don't :twisted:
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • SOLAT319 wrote:
    Don't get rid of it. Chicks dig it. Also since it comes in at the end of the first encore, it seems it gives the rest of the band more of a break, better to rock out the rest of the show. Finally, its better than The End and definitely Soon Forget (not a big fan).

Not this chick either
  • butte1butte1 Posts: 379
    RiotZact wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    yes for sure, I would enjoy it every night, but just so I don't know exactly when it's coming

I assume you are still talking about Just Breathe still??? The last tour they did tend to play it around the first or second song of the first encore but really, who cares. Maybe that is when Eddie needs a break for his voice and the band needs a little more time before starting back up. Sometimes songs like that are in a strategic place for a reason.

As for the solo tour. Not sure who said it but Just Breathe was played at every show but it was played in completely different spots with totallydifferent songs around it at pretty much every show. Could you cherry pick a couple from the whole tour where they were similar, probably but he tried to mix it up pretty good from every setlist I saw. And let's be reasonable, unless you are the rare, somewhat weird, individual that is going to more than 2 shows on his solo tour then you probably saw two totally different shows (I know I did) and you should be feeling both were great and different shows, I know I did.

As for seeing him play it with Pearl Jam, last time I saw PJ was in Chicago before they had officially released Backspacer so they were not even playing Just Breathe yet so I have yet to see him perform it at all with PJ and I would like to see it myself regardless of where they play it in the setlist. I am ok with it only being played one night, I am ok with two nights. The fact is even if one or two songs are played in somewhat similar spots each night, Pearl Jam does a better job than any band I know of mixing up the overall set list from night to night so who ever is griping about this small item needs to go see some other bands some time and realize most bands play literally the exact same set every single night. I am a fan of Cheap Trick but they've gotten so lazy that they literally play the exact same 45 minute set every night with literally the same banter and jokes even in the exact same spots. I don't think you realize how lucky we are with what PJ does in concert. No matter what songs are played where I KNOW PJ20 is going to be great either way
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
    edited July 2011
    StillHere wrote:
    But it grows on you
    Just relax and Enjoy!

Playing YLB to close every show is a signature deal and I personally love it. It never gets old, it is the perfect way to end every show. I love they have a signature move like that. YLB lets everyone know it's time to go home, they are done. Way better than jsut having the huose lights come on and say go home
    R and R Station - Mar 26, 1992 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Aug 29, 1992 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 08, 1995 ** Summerfest Milw - Jul 09, 1995 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 ** ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre (E.V. at Tibetan Freedom Concert) - Jun 13, 1999 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003 ** United Center - May 16, 2006 ** Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006 ** Riverside Theatre Milw (Eddie Solo Tour) - 2008 ** United Center - Aug 23, 2009 ** The Chicago Theatre (Eddie Solo Tour) - Jun 29, 2011 ** Orpheum Theatre MN (Eddie Solo Tour) - July 2, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011 ** Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    SOLAT319 wrote:

Not this chick either
    Well I meant casual fan chicks like my wife. We go to a show, she gets Just Breathe, she's happy. I get the 25 other songs, I'm happy. So it works out.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the song the soccer moms behind me at the ev solo show in santa barbara wanted to hear was jb
  • elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    butte1 wrote:
    Playing YLB to close every show is a signature deal and I personally love it. It never gets old, it is the perfect way to end every show. I love they have a signature move like that. YLB lets everyone know it's time to go home, they are done. Way better than jsut having the huose lights come on and say go home
    Well said!
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    butte1 wrote:
    Well said!
    butte1 wrote:

absolutely agreed 100%
    peace,
    jo

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Just put down the pipe dude.
    8-)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • I like it when they play the song, but what I don't like is the three minutes it takes for Ed to pretend he knows the names of all the string players they hired in which ever town they are playing in (except Seattle where we get Mrs. Cameron and her pals).

Ditch the string players so you don't have to use them, and if the show warrants a slow down Ed should then bust out the acoustic and do it solo....
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    Yeah i would love for them to just do an acustic set and play it then and leave it out of the electric set ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Yeah i would love for them to just do an acustic set and play it then and leave it out of the electric set ...

Maybe a Pre-Show Acoustic Set at PJ20

Then FULL ON Electric after that :D
    peace,
    jo

For the folks not digging the songs they play or where they play them please show me the setlist you want here, I'd love to see it:

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162789
  • boyo79boyo79 Posts: 6,525
    butte1 wrote:

Spot on. I can understand RM22 being a bit sick of it if he's seen it 14 times out of 22 but thats what can happen when you see PJ live. From my 6 shows I've got YL closing only twice so personally I'd like to see it more. I love the song and think its the way to end a show. They've finished with Indifference my last 2 shows and I've loved that too!.

Back to the original topic, maybe the band needs to come out with "Speed Just Breathe" ;)
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    pandora wrote:
    I will never tire of Just Breathe or The End ... never

+1. I've seen Just Breathe live probably around 7 or 8 times and I'm not tired of it yet. I absolutely love it! Please play it at PJ20, preferrably with strings!!!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:

however

Or how about Just Breath?

They could create a mash-up of Breath and Just Breathe. I mean half of this message board confuses those two words anyway. Might as well take it to the next level! :mrgreen:;)
    NERDS!
  • Super CreepSuper Creep Posts: 374
    I don't mind "Just Breathe" and "The End" in general, but I am a little tired of hearing them in a row. It felt like one of the central moments of the concert and I just didn't dig it.
    The Scary Monster
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Posts: 4,809
    Not a big fan of Johnny Guitar either!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Better Dan wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I will never tire of Just Breathe or The End ... never

+1. I've seen Just Breathe live probably around 7 or 8 times and I'm not tired of it yet. I absolutely love it! Please play it at PJ20, preferrably with strings!!!

I enjoyed hearing Just Breathe 1½ times on Saturday...Ed heard something wrong in the middle of it, stopped, adjusted and then said "From the top then?" and the crowd yelled "YES!" so they started from the beginning.

Like another poster said, when you go to 18 out of 22 shows, then the setlists may seem repeated, and boring...maybe that's why Tim mentioned on the AET show, 'Please don't go to more than one Ed show, it kinda ruins the special-ness of an Ed show'

I never heard Ed solo before, so I'm really glad he played it. This is probably one of the 'staple' songs...just like Betterman/Porch/YL...people expect to hear a few of those songs at some point. When was the last time you went to a (non PJ) concert and thought, "I can't believe they didn't play 'such and such' song" ?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987
    boyo79 wrote:
    Back to the original topic, maybe the band needs to come out with "Speed Just Breathe" ;)

Or maybe they could use "Just Block Rockin Breathe" as their intro music? ;)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    norm wrote:
    the song the soccer moms behind me at the ev solo show in santa barbara wanted to hear was jb

TOTALLY!
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years