The foodie thread

12346»

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I just started to *follow* about 10 more twitter DC-foodie feeds. I'm excited to learn about what the food trucks are doing mile by mile :lol:
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    polaris_x wrote:
    i did a "nose to tail" tasting menu on friday ... we chose wild boar

first course: deep fried risotto balls made with boar liver and leg
    second course: breaded tenderloin with garden salad and fried boar ears
    third course: boar tongue with sea scallops
    fourth course: braised boar shoulder with gnocchi
    fifth course: roasted boar belly with boar head meatballs on a summer sukertash

dessert: maple ice cream with a boar bacon walnut shortbread ...

overall ... it was an experience but i don't think i would do it again ... i think maybe a better chef could have done it a bit better ... i found the seasoning off ...

That sounds like quite the experience!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Lizardjam wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    i did a "nose to tail" tasting menu on friday ... we chose wild boar

first course: deep fried risotto balls made with boar liver and leg
    second course: breaded tenderloin with garden salad and fried boar ears
    third course: boar tongue with sea scallops
    fourth course: braised boar shoulder with gnocchi
    fifth course: roasted boar belly with boar head meatballs on a summer sukertash

dessert: maple ice cream with a boar bacon walnut shortbread ...

overall ... it was an experience but i don't think i would do it again ... i think maybe a better chef could have done it a bit better ... i found the seasoning off ...

That sounds like quite the experience!

it was an experience ... i think it would have been better if we chose a different animal like elk or something ... as boar is probably a bit too much like pig ... nothing jumped out as being too different ...
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    polaris_x wrote:

it was an experience ... i think it would have been better if we chose a different animal like elk or something ... as boar is probably a bit too much like pig ... nothing jumped out as being too different ...

You also have to be open for adventure! i love beef but, I couldn't taste the entire cow. Were there any parts that were particularly good on the boar?
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    we've had a lot of good homemade/fresh from the garden meals as of late - i took some pics :P...i'll have to upload and post. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    My wife's parents came down for her bday last night. Unfortunately her mom is in a wheelchair, and doesn't like going "out" to dinner. However, being that it was my wife's bday, I wanted to make something restaurant worthy so I embarked on a beer dinner. It was fucking delicious:
    Course 1
    Bread and garlic infused olive oil (Natty Light - it was a last second thing haha)

Course 2
    Beer Battered Jalapeno Poppers with Apricot Jam (Ithaca Apricot Wheat)

Course 3
    Roast Duck with Cranberry Coulis, Fried Onion, and Spinach Salad (Raspberry Lambic)

Course 4
    Sam Adams Short-Ribs with Mashed Potatoes (Sam Adams Boston Lager)

Course 5
    Hershey's Chocolate Pie with Whipped Cream, Chocolate Chips, and Dehydrated Bananas (Guinness and Harp Black and Tan)
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    RW81233 wrote:
    My wife's parents came down for her bday last night. Unfortunately her mom is in a wheelchair, and doesn't like going "out" to dinner. However, being that it was my wife's bday, I wanted to make something restaurant worthy so I embarked on a beer dinner. It was fucking delicious:
    Course 1
    Bread and garlic infused olive oil (Natty Light - it was a last second thing haha)

Course 2

Course 3
    Roast Duck with Cranberry Coulis, Fried Onion, and Spinach Salad (Raspberry Lambic)

Course 4

Course 5
    Hershey's Chocolate Pie with Whipped Cream, Chocolate Chips, and Dehydrated Bananas (Guinness and Harp Black and Tan)

WOW... that is some dinner !!!! :thumbup:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    RW81233 wrote:
    Course 1

Course 2

Course 3

Course 4

Course 5

nice!!

had my family over for dinner over the weekend ... everything made from scratch:

crab cakes with pineapple salsa
    chicken satay with peanut sauce
    bbq baby back ribs
    grilled corn
    grilled rapini
    chorizo and shrimp rice
    sauteed king oyster mushrooms
    It was so fun and a challenge to make...prepped sauces all week, had the pie done Tuesday, stuffed the poppers Wednesday, and just had to make sure the duck and short ribs came out about 15 mins apart yesterday. We all had a blast and no one got bombed (3-6 ounce pours depending)...that is until after the dinner. Now onward and upward to Thanksgiving (Tur-Duc-Hen anyone?)
    polaris_x wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    Course 1

Course 2

Course 3

Course 4

Course 5

nice!!

had my family over for dinner over the weekend ... everything made from scratch:

crab cakes with pineapple salsa
    chicken satay with peanut sauce
    bbq baby back ribs
    grilled corn
    grilled rapini
    chorizo and shrimp rice
    sauteed king oyster mushrooms
    wow that sounds bad ass (mine was all from scratch except I forgot potatoes when I went shopping originally and cheated with some betty crocker herbed potato crap but that was literally it for cheating)
    i have to say, i made the most beautiful and delicious pizza tonight!
    started off with whole wheat crust...chili pepper infused olive oil....arrabbiata sauce.....mozzarella.....roasted red peppers....black olives....artichoke hearts....fresh basil and oregano from our garden.....crushed red pepper.
    spectacular!
    8-)

a nice glass of red would've been an awesome accompaniment, but....sigh...i have vowed no alcohol during the week and somehow, i am actually sticking with it... :|
    at least the pizza was awesome! one of the very few things i "cook"...mostly because, really, it's assembling.... :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

so simple, but so yummy...one of my favorite breakfasts:

really great whole wheat toast smeared with natural peanut butter and dusted with cinnamon...followed by a beautiful ruby red grapefruit. yummm.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• day three of being ill.....three days of meals:
    monday - tortellini en brodo
    tuesday - organic chicken and wild rice soup with grilled cheese
    tonight - will be chinese take-out.....chinese chicken noodle soup and an egg roll.
    see a theme?
    :?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

anyone watching the next iron chef!? ... i'm glad they got rid of that judge from last year ...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    polaris_x wrote:
    anyone watching the next iron chef!? ... i'm glad they got rid of that judge from last year ...
    nah
    its all about top chef texas tonight!
    Get_Right wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    nah
    its all about top chef texas tonight!

the last one i saw with top chefs just had some weak weak talent ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    the last one i saw with top chefs just had some weak weak talent ...
    yup. thats part of the fun
    ok ... for the foodies and especially those in NY ... i'm posting one of those please vote for things in here ...

this is for the BBC world challenge based on taking niche sustainability concepts into business models ... Brooklyn Grange (actually in Queens) is one of the finalists ... Ben started a rooftop farm on top of this old industrial building and sells to local restaurants and people ... he's even got chickens up on that roof ...

if you think his project is worthy - please vote for them ... thanks

http://www.theworldchallenge.co.uk/fina ... go_Farming
    Done.
    Get_Right wrote:
    Done.

thanks!
  • polaris_x wrote:
    ok ... for the foodies and especially those in NY ... i'm posting one of those please vote for things in here ...

this is for the BBC world challenge based on taking niche sustainability concepts into business models ... Brooklyn Grange (actually in Queens) is one of the finalists ... Ben started a rooftop farm on top of this old industrial building and sells to local restaurants and people ... he's even got chickens up on that roof ...

if you think his project is worthy - please vote for them ... thanks

http://www.theworldchallenge.co.uk/fina ... go_Farming

done!
    :thumbup:

i mentioned this on the dinner thread - but thought i'd share here too...
    hoisin glazed chicken stuffed with garlic and rosemary with roasted baby purple potatoes. as close as i ever get to a 'meat & potatoes' meal, and it was delicious.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...