The foodie thread

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    so what are we cooking this weekend?

I have 6 dozen wings marinating in my secret marinade-not buffalo style-more like teriyaki with a little kick-kids love em
    Two pounds of head-on gulf shrimp in the brine (for shrimp cocktail) served with a mango salsa and mini blue corn tortillas
    Three racks of baby back pork ribs "dry" marinating (and ready for the smoker at 9 am)
    A couple of skirt steaks marinating (along with a chimichuri sauce thats mellowing)-also good with the tortillas
    And I will prep a squid salad right before serving (copy Rao's recipe without other seafood)
    And about two dozen boars head skin on beef franks and some NE split top rolls-not sure of the toppings yet, but it might involve my yuzu pickled onions and some vinegar based red cabbage slaw

wife is in charge of green veg.

so whats on your menu?
    ugh. rain. lots of it. ugh.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    friends from NY visiting ... weekend of food ...

thurs nite: made a simple green curry with coconut rice along with mango salad for their arrival ... homemade maple walnut ice cream for desert ...

fri: peppercorn smoked bacon and eggs with fruit salad (pineapple, strawberries and apple); poutine; dumplings; ping gai chicken sandwich with a pineapple, cucumber, carrot slaw

sat: went to the food truck festival but it was sooo busy we left to go get organic burger and fries; thai food at khao san road (best thai in toronto)

sun: french toast and fruit salad, ribs and poutine, dream in high park (picnic we made - berkshire pulled pork sliders with kale salad and a fava bean and garlic scape dip
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Made one of my fav "I dont really feel like cooking" suppers.

Spagetti with homemade marinara sauce.

Heres how I make my sauce ( I never use canned)

3tsp olive oil
    8 cloves of garlic cut in half lengthwise.
    2 cans of diced tomatos
    2 tsp oregano
    1tblsp parsley
    salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in large skillet. Add garlic and saute till golden all over. Remove garlic and let the oil cool for a minute. Add your tomatos mash them up with a potato masher in the skillet and heat them through with all the spices. Serve over fav pasta. I like Spagettini.

This sauce is also really good if you make half the recipe and want a sauce to dip breadsticks or mozzarella or zuccini sticks in. Its also a great sauce for homemade pizzas.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
    genevieve wrote:
    Heres how I make my sauce ( I never use canned)

2 cans of diced tomatos

:mrgreen:

i know you mean prepared sauces ... just thought it was funny ...
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    polaris_x wrote:

thurs nite: made a simple green curry with coconut rice along with mango salad for their arrival ... homemade maple walnut ice cream for desert ...

fri: peppercorn smoked bacon and eggs with fruit salad (pineapple, strawberries and apple); poutine; dumplings; ping gai chicken sandwich with a pineapple, cucumber, carrot slaw

sat: went to the food truck festival but it was sooo busy we left to go get organic burger and fries; thai food at khao san road (best thai in toronto)

sun: french toast and fruit salad, ribs and poutine, dream in high park (picnic we made - berkshire pulled pork sliders with kale salad and a fava bean and garlic scape dip

i have never had anything on your menu
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

i have never had anything on your menu

haha ... pulled pork even!? ... fries?
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    How do you eat a soft boiled egg? My first attempt was a little messy. Do I slice off the top . . . (?) I didn't do that, and I ended up kindof smushing it. Without the eggs shells it would have been perfect!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    So here is how I do it. And it helps if your eggs are a week old. Fresh eggs are harder to peel.

Put your egg or 2 in a small pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook 4 minutes.
    Remove from water and run under cold water for 20 secs.
    Put you egg in an egg cup or shot glass.
    Take your spoon and gently tap around the top, you could also use a knife for this.
    Take the top off.
    Salt and pepper and dip your strips of buttered toast in it.

If you like soft boiled but dont like taking the tops off, a soft poached egg is very similar in taste and texture.

Hope this helps.

Now I want soft boiled eggs....
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • I really want some warm, fresh pumpkin bread. I really don't want to make it though.
    Emily
  • I really want some warm, fresh pumpkin bread. I really don't want to make it though.

mmm. just made me think of zucchini bread...and who better to have make that than my momma!!! yep...sounds like a plan 8-)
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I grilled buffalo turkey burgers last night.

Ground turkey
    your choice of hot sauce (Frank's orginal or Buffalo would be best)
    Worchestershire sauce
    salt
    pepper
    Last night I threw in some parsley flakes that really added to the burgers

I topped mine with ranch dressing. Good to add whatever toppings you might like. We love them.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Frank's orginal

i put that shit on everything.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    The 81 wrote:
    Frank's orginal

i put that shit on everything.
    Hells yes. One of the greatest things in the world it is.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    I'm hungry....
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I really want some warm, fresh pumpkin bread. I really don't want to make it though.

mmm. just made me think of zucchini bread...and who better to have make that than my momma!!! yep...sounds like a plan 8-)

It's actually really good with half regular flour and half whole wheat!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    the past 2.5 weeks have been an eating and drinking extravaganza! :shock: :mrgreen::lol:
    well divided between fantastic meals out and amazing grilled meats, homemade saladas and the like....it has been heavenly foodie paradise. (tho my scale would tell otherwise :? ) back to eating a bit less/more healthfully, but still yummy foods on the horizon...i am determined to have both!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I can't look at this thread unless I've eaten at least 5 minutes prior lol

I took my dad and sis to this Vietnamese restaurant last nite that is renown for their seafood, and their secret recipe garlic noodles. http://www.anfamily.com/Restaurants/tha ... epage.html

OMG the noodles are worth driving over there for, just for 'em *drooool*. We tried them at a food truck at the Treasure Island Flea Market a couple months back and fell in love. Had dungeness crab puffs fill ed with peanuts and herb cheese, this broiled chicken marinated in asian five-spice, and plentiful garlic noodle :D dessert was also amazing, we split a warm banana cake with ice cream.

It is very misleading looking at the place from the outside and the neighborhood is a touch o' ghetto, but DAMN, you get in there and it's a whole other world of NOM.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    Made Seared Tuna tacos topped with cole slaw and pineapple relish drink banana & strawberry Margarita's .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I made the damn bread and now I don't want dinner.
    Emily
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    EZ1221C wrote:
    I'm hungry....
    I'm still hungry
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • want some pumpkin bread?
    Emily
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    want some pumpkin bread?

did you finally make some?

I found a recipe for pumpkin cookies, but I altered it a bit...they came out more like muffin tops, so I renamed them to 'Pumpkin Muffin Top Cookies'...put some pecans in there, and cream cheese frosting....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I did and I ate enough to make me feel sick. I can never find a happy medium. I could call my bread muffin top pumpkin bread because it gives me a muffin top. There is a crap load of sugar.
    Emily
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    i forgot to mention, we ate fresh zucchini blossoms from our garden for the first time.
    hubby cooked them in a wee bit of olive oil, chopped em up and sprinkled them over pasta with fresh basil and parsley from our garden as well. can't say i found any discernible taste, but we still have a few left so might eat em solo next time to really taste.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

i forgot to mention, we ate fresh zucchini blossoms from our garden for the first time.
    hubby cooked them in a wee bit of olive oil, chopped em up and sprinkled them over pasta with fresh basil and parsley from our garden as well. can't say i found any discernible taste, but we still have a few left so might eat em solo next time to really taste.
    Those suckers need to be filled with seasoned ricotta, breaded and deep fried! Or at least deep fried!
    http://allthingsnice.typepad.com/tasteb ... -test.html
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I did and I ate enough to make me feel sick. I can never find a happy medium. I could call my bread muffin top pumpkin bread because it gives me a muffin top. There is a crap load of sugar.

:lol:

I replace oil in any baking recipe with applesauce...you can't tell the difference, and you save on fat. I also reduce the sugar a bit, and then just put honey on the bread/cookies to add more sweetness.

Had to put away the cookies in the freezer right away as well...otherwise I will eat like 8 cookies all at once.

and whomever makes zucchini bread...do you squeeze out the shredded zucchini before adding it to the batter? Last time I made it, my bread came out really moist, and it got moldy within 2 days. :(
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I did and I ate enough to make me feel sick. I can never find a happy medium. I could call my bread muffin top pumpkin bread because it gives me a muffin top. There is a crap load of sugar.

:lol:

I replace oil in any baking recipe with applesauce...you can't tell the difference, and you save on fat. I also reduce the sugar a bit, and then just put honey on the bread/cookies to add more sweetness.

Had to put away the cookies in the freezer right away as well...otherwise I will eat like 8 cookies all at once.

and whomever makes zucchini bread...do you squeeze out the shredded zucchini before adding it to the batter? Last time I made it, my bread came out really moist, and it got moldy within 2 days. :(

I don't. But I do let it air out once cooked until completely cooled. Then I wrap it in parchment and keep it in the fridge. I do the same with banana and pumpkin.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Homerun pizza! tonight 8-) dressed up with all the goodies

and a few vodka tonics for an appetizer...

life is good on a Friday! :D
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    spaghetti (nothing special, but I'm excited none the less) some cabernet, and new tunes on the stereo...life's good :P
    We were but stones your light made us stars