The foodie thread

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Yes, a place to discuss all things food. Sure, we've had many recipes threads baut this is just a spot to discuss food. You want to share a recipe? Cool. But also, it's just about discussing favorite foods, a particularly great meal you just had, whatever.

I love food. :D As many know tho, I really don't cook. So most anything I "make"....and I use that term loosely, is more an assemblage than cooking. That said, I just ate one of my most favorite things:

Mozzarella wrapped with prosciutto and topped with roasted red peppers and drizzled with good balsamic vinegar. Accompanied by a nice glass of red. Heaven! No finer food known to humanity.
:D
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Well, this may not fall under the "great foods" category but at the moment I'm snacking on my favorite candy:

link-swedish.gif
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Well, this may not fall under the "great foods" category but at the moment I'm snacking on my favorite candy:

link-swedish.gif

High brow or low brow....it's all welcome. ;)
    Just last night sour cream and onion potato chips accompanied my wine, and they were great. :mrgreen:

Mr. Dream happens to LOVE Swedish fish. Big time. But they must be fresh....as in, soft. Haha.
    I'm more partial to gummy bears myself. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,378
    I'm the cook of the house, which makes sense as I'm the spouse that has some Italian blood. :lol:

Tonight's dinner is my famous crab meat pasta: crab meat with grape tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil, white wine & spices. Tasty bottle of vino bianco to go with it. :D
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I'm the cook of the house, which makes sense as I'm the spouse that has some Italian blood. :lol:

Tonight's dinner is my famous crab meat pasta: crab meat with grape tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil, white wine & spices. Tasty bottle of vino bianco to go with it. :D

I'm the Italian - first generation in fact, my husband is German and Dutch.....yet he is the chef. He also makes a damn fine fresh tomato sauce. :D

Your dinner sounds delicious!

Were going out tonight to our face Mexican place; more than likely I will have my favorite meal there - Camarones Verdes......amazing, spicy meal. Mmmmmmmm.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i love me some cheeseburgers.
    conman wrote:
    i love me some cheeseburgers.

Seriously.
    *drools*
    a great cheeseburger is art.
    Add some onions and bacon...plus some hot sauce?!
    *swoons*
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Well, tonight I'm fixing boiled fresh lobster. They were $7.98/lb. this weekend only at my favorite grocery. Something I probably never would have tried if I hadn't met my prince, whose parents came from New England.

Speaking of high brow vs. low brow, I'd always thought lobster was a meal that you ate at some fancy shmancy restaurant. Then my in-laws had us over for lobster. To them, it's a messy, casual meal that you eat at home. I got brave and tried fixing them myself, with satisfying results. Many years ago, my prince and I established a tradition of having lobster, just the 2 of us, on Christmas Eve. I fix them about once a year besides that, whenever I can find them on sale.

I'm the Italian - first generation in fact, my husband is German and Dutch.....yet he is the chef. He also makes a damn fine fresh tomato sauce. :D

Your dinner sounds delicious!

Were going out tonight to our face Mexican place; more than likely I will have my favorite meal there - Camarones Verdes......amazing, spicy meal. Mmmmmmmm.

Your dinner also sounds delicious! Great thread. :thumbup:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Well, tonight I'm fixing boiled fresh lobster. They were $7.98/lb. this weekend only at my favorite grocery. Something I probably never would have tried if I hadn't met my prince, whose parents came from New England.

Speaking of high brow vs. low brow, I'd always thought lobster was a meal that you ate at some fancy shmancy restaurant. Then my in-laws had us over for lobster. To them, it's a messy, casual meal that you eat at home. I got brave and tried fixing them myself, with satisfying results. Many years ago, my prince and I established a tradition of having lobster, just the 2 of us, on Christmas Eve. I fix them about once a year besides that, whenever I can find them on sale.

I'm not a big lobster fan, but coming from the NE I do know it can be casual or luxurious....like most things I guess. Sounds like a lovely meal and I love your Xmas eve tradition. :)

Btw I still love how you refer to your hubby as your prince. ;)
    Time for me to get my dreaming arse in gear for dinner....
    Catch all you fine folks later, enjoy your weekend!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Buon Appetito Everyone!!!

I'm not a big lobster fan, but coming from the NE I do know it can be casual or luxurious....like most things I guess. Sounds like a lovely meal and I love your Xmas eve tradition. :)

Btw I still love how you refer to your hubby as your prince. ;)
    Time for me to get my dreaming arse in gear for dinner....
    Catch all you fine folks later, enjoy your weekend!
    The Christmas Eve tradition was almost a bit of a joke when we first did it but we liked it so much we've kept it up for 20+ years.

And as I've said before, my hubby is a prince of a guy. He deserves some kind of award for being married to me. :lol:
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    mmmmm love this thread! Although it's now making me uber hungry :? lol

I'm having dinner with friends who are diehard foodies as well, so I'm sure we'll have something spectactular...I'll share whenever I drag myself back home :D
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Threw together mushroom, Canadian bacon, and cheese omelettes for my son and I the other night. And made tater tots to go with it. Yum.
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    I don't know what to make for dinner. Everything I really like to make is annoying to make for just one person. Was thinking of doing chicken & black bean enchiladas...or pasta carbonara.

But, most likely will end up with the leftover turkey burger in the fridge, with wine....

or, maybe just wine :D
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    We eat good most nights...Tonight's meal shared with my mom, her hubby, our best friends and 3 of our sons. I'm always feeding a crowd. All 4 of my sons are home for the Summer, and come with many friends!

Grilled Fillet of Beef~Rare
    Roasted Potatoes with fresh Rosemary
    Spinach, Red onion and Mango Salad with Citrus dressing

Strawberries and Blueberries drizzled with honey and topped with fresh whipped cream
    Box of Love: Assorted dark chocolates, help your self
    Liquors and port
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    If you're a foodie Providence is the place to be.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
    so went to our fave mex place, and of course....redid their menu and my fave meal, gone. typical. said theyd ask the chef to make my usual, but figured id try the new menu. so i had their newest camarones (shrimp) dish. it was good, but the verdes sauce, much spicier. i guess most arent into the truly spicy. my husband always jokes, whatever i love...is alawys discontinued. whether food or design, i apparently have unique tastes. :P sucks to be me eh? i will say tho, the new dish was enjoyable, tho i miss my spicy, spicy.....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I think I've developed an unhealthy addiction to grilled halloumi cheese - I seem to eat it with everything at the moment.
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    Claireack wrote:
    I think I've developed an unhealthy addiction to grilled halloumi cheese - I seem to eat it with everything at the moment.

Halloumi is new for me...just googled it (and added to my shopping list, if i can find it!) :)
    thanks!
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Claireack wrote:

Halloumi is new for me...just googled it (and added to my shopping list, if i can find it!) :)
    thanks!

It is lovely!! Hope you enjoy it. :D
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Grilled Whole Sea Bass tonight with jasmine rice and an avocado and tomato salad drizzled with Truffle oil.
  • Went to an "Alice in Wonderland" pot luck alcoholic tea party on Friday (why yes, this is what English grad students do for fun!) and whipped up a watermelon and feta dish. After initial suspicions, people went wild over it but it's super easy to make (another foodie here who doesn't really cook...mostly due to time constraints).

I just cut the watermelon into cubes, soaked it in olive oil and then mixed it up with copious amounts of feta, a bit of ground pepper and toasted almonds. Takes only a few minutes and is quite delicious, especially for an outdoor summer event. :)
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • blenderman69blenderman69 Posts: 2,104

link-swedish.gif
    my favorite snack..i ate a whole bag in 2 days this weekend :)
  • I LOVE FOOD

The all caps and large letters is because I'm on a diet right now, but God help me, I love food. I also love to cook. Anyway, I'm only 10 lbs away from my initial target weight, so I'm about to get to slowly enjoy food again, but I think I'm going to do another diet (since I've done well on this one and go for another 10-15 lbs-that's probably all I can lose and still be healthy) before summer is over. However, I'm going to give myself a well-deserved break and healthfully (not sure if that's a word) enjoy food for a couple of weeks.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.

link-swedish.gif
    my favorite snack..i ate a whole bag in 2 days this weekend :)
    Was it the 2 lb. size? :P :lol:
    Yeah, I think they're pretty addictive. When I don't have any around I'm thinking about when will I get a bag! :oops: :mrgreen:
    why is it that whatever is my favorite meal on a restuarant's menu, it invariably gets taken off said menu? :?
    my aforementioned camarones verdes, which i have LOVED for YEARS......gone. they have a new shrimp dish as it's replacement, and it is tasty....but ahhh....my green shrimp was awesome!!! oh well....life is change.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

We went to a picnic this afternoon. Annual event for a dog training club I belong to. The club provides BBQ and everything else is pot luck. I was asked to bring a fruit salad.

I fixed a big bowl of raspberries, blackberries, and sliced strawberries. Strawberry vinaigrette dressing on the side. It was a huge hit.
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    I love to cook!!!! I cook from scratch as much as I can. And I am currently really trying to buy organic and local. Which is very hard up in Edmonton Alberta Canada. We have very short growing seasons. But we always do a veggie garden. I think that everyone should try to grow at least one of thier fav veggies in the summer. Even if its just in pots on your apartment balcony. You would be amazed at all the veggies you can grow in pots!

Tonight I made roasted baby potatoes, grilled organic chicken breasts and spinach salad with homemade buttermilk dressing. Deeeelish!

My newest adventure is going to be learning how to make pasta in my Kitchenaide. I got a pasta making attachement for Xmas and havent had the chance to try it yet. So if anyone has a good homemade pasta recipe pass it on!

D2D I <3 this thread!
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i cure my own salmon amongst other things ... had a party to goto and decided to bring "smoked" salmon pizza ... anyways - the copper river reds are in season and in order to get restaurant pricing - i had to buy whole and 2 of them ... $120! ... :o ... split it with a friend and gave a filet to my mother ... but for those who love salmon ... the copper river reds are definitely a notch above the wild alaskan sockeyes and eons better than any farmed salmon ... also, took the bones and made a stock which i then used to make a risotto with the fleshy bits still attached to the bones ... yum ... for those who want to cure their own salmon (gravlox style) here's the easy recipe:

ingredients
    * salmon filet skin on
    * equal parts coarse kosher salt and sugar (the amount you need depends on how big your filet is and how many)
    * dash pepper
    * lemon
    * fresh dill

- mix your salt and sugar together then spread over your salmon
    - dash of pepper over the salt and sugar
    - slice thinly some lemon and layer over the salmon above the salt/sugar/pepper
    - layer fresh dill on top (be generous)
    - wrap the whole thing as tightly as possible with plastic wrap
    - place in fridge in a container that can hold liquid ... the cure essentially will draw a lot of the moisture and oil out of the fish ... so, expect a lot of fish oil to come out
    - place a bit of weight on the fish to help with the moisture to come out
    - depending on the thickness of the filet (anywhere from 15 to 30 hrs) ... you'll know it's done when you press down and it is firm vs. the mushier feeling of raw fish
    - if you leave it longer it just has a bit saltier taste but not the worst thing
    - when you think it's done ... take it all out ... toss the plastic wrap ... compost the dill and lemons ... and rinse the fish ... ideally give it another day to rest in the fridge (re-wrap in plastic wrap) ...
    - unless you have cats - there isn't a whole lot to do with that oil/water mixture from the fish

serving
    - slice fish on the diagonal and serve however you like (red onion, capers, cream cheese, etc)
    - the flesh near the tail will be saltier because it's thinner so be prepared

enjoy
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    genevieve wrote:
    I love to cook!!!! I cook from scratch as much as I can. And I am currently really trying to buy organic and local. Which is very hard up in Edmonton Alberta Canada. We have very short growing seasons. But we always do a veggie garden. I think that everyone should try to grow at least one of thier fav veggies in the summer. Even if its just in pots on your apartment balcony. You would be amazed at all the veggies you can grow in pots!

Tonight I made roasted baby potatoes, grilled organic chicken breasts and spinach salad with homemade buttermilk dressing. Deeeelish!

My newest adventure is going to be learning how to make pasta in my Kitchenaide. I got a pasta making attachement for Xmas and havent had the chance to try it yet. So if anyone has a good homemade pasta recipe pass it on!

D2D I <3 this thread!
    Good luck with the pasta! It's fun, but a little difficult to achieve the right consistency with the dough...lots of trial and error. When you do get it right though, it's well worth the effort :D
    We were but stones your light made us stars