The foodie thread

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    spaghetti (nothing special, but I'm excited none the less) some cabernet, and new tunes on the stereo...life's good :P

Sounds good to me!
    Then again, I LOVE wine and pasta. :mrgreen:

Get right...I am not a fan of ricotta, and honestl trying to be healthy...so deep frying not really on my Agenda. We've got quite a few zucchini blossoms in the freezer now, so definitely will be trying different things.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842

Get right...I am not a fan of ricotta, and honestl trying to be healthy...so deep frying not really on my Agenda. We've got quite a few zucchini blossoms in the freezer now, so definitely will be trying different things.
    Believe it or not, properly deep frying food can be healthier than pan frying or sauteing! Done properly, the food absorbs MUCH less fat.

So skip the ricotta and get hubby to properly fry those babies up. The subtle flavor needs to be appreciated on its own-not as an addition or condiment. As an alternative, you could grill them whole, VERY quickly over a VERY hot grill. But they need to be brushed liberally with oil to prevent sticking. Then a bit of coarse sea salt. Perhaps a few drops of lemon juice.

And I will be in Melville on Monday, so if you guys need to get rid of a few dozen I can stop by and take them off your hands! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    this was my thought from the get-go....just some olive oil and sea salt and good to go. hubby read a recipe online that said to sprinkle over pasta, and so he did. i am definitely interested in tasting the real flavor of the blossoms, so not interested in ricotta, or deep fry, or breading. so hopefully next time just cook em up and TASTE.

and i should've said we had 'a few' not 'quite a few'....we probably have 8 in the freezer at the moment. we're only 2 people and 2 squash plants. :P so sorry, not dozens to go around!
    Get_Right wrote:

Believe it or not, properly deep frying food can be healthier than pan frying or sauteing! Done properly, the food absorbs MUCH less fat.

So skip the ricotta and get hubby to properly fry those babies up. The subtle flavor needs to be appreciated on its own-not as an addition or condiment. As an alternative, you could grill them whole, VERY quickly over a VERY hot grill. But they need to be brushed liberally with oil to prevent sticking. Then a bit of coarse sea salt. Perhaps a few drops of lemon juice.

And I will be in Melville on Monday, so if you guys need to get rid of a few dozen I can stop by and take them off your hands! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

dinner last night:
    dinner.jpg
    sweet and sour chicken skewers
    fresh zucchini, yellow squash and cilantro from our garden. 8-)
    also chicken and red onion plus sesame seeds.
    i got the recipe for the sweet and sour glaze from women's health magazine, the july/august 2011 issue. the only thing we changed was the addition of the sesame seeds, my idea and swapped yellow squash for the red pepper simply since we had fresh from the garden...and definitely think it adds to it. hubby made it all and it was truly delicious!!! edit - oh i lied :P, hahaha.....they also add pineapple chunks, we skipped that. anyhoo, the recipe for the glaze is awesome - the rest, up to you!

tonight i'll be making (meaning assembling :)) a homemade pizza.
    we get pre-made whole wheat thin pizza crusts from the market. i'll add tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella and probably fresh basil and parsley from our garden. usually i add artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers and black olives but idk...might just keep it simple tonight and leave it all to the flavor of the fresh herbs. we'll see.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    ^
    looks good
    man I wish I had space for a garden
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    dinner last night:
    sweet and sour chicken skewers
    fresh zucchini, yellow squash and cilantro from our garden. 8-)
    also chicken and red onion plus sesame seeds.
    i got the recipe for the sweet and sour glaze from women's health magazine, the july/august 2011 issue. the only thing we changed was the addition of the sesame seeds, my idea and swapped yellow squash for the red pepper simply since we had fresh from the garden...and definitely think it adds to it. hubby made it all and it was truly delicious!!! edit - oh i lied :P, hahaha.....they also add pineapple chunks, we skipped that. anyhoo, the recipe for the glaze is awesome - the rest, up to you!

tonight i'll be making (meaning assembling :)) a homemade pizza.
    we get pre-made whole wheat thin pizza crusts from the market. i'll add tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella and probably fresh basil and parsley from our garden. usually i add artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers and black olives but idk...might just keep it simple tonight and leave it all to the flavor of the fresh herbs. we'll see.

Looks delicious but, why would you leave out pineapple? It's soooo good!

I don't know if this is a make anything thread or only healthy stuff? I have been making loads of chuck steak lately. I know it's tough if not slow cooked but when it is...it's sooo good. I'm eating it now.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    My mom's birthday yesterday so we invited the folks over for supper.

I took the easy part....grilled citrus garlic chicken....lit the grill and sat down on the porch for a couple brews.
    lemon juice
    lime juice
    minced garlic

Meanwhile the greatest girl in the world was inside preparing the rest...
    green beans wrapped in bacon, baked in italian dressing
    homemade mashed potatoes
    corn drowned in butter with parsley

A delicious meal and a great time it was.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • I love bacon wrapped green beans! I never had them in Italian dressing. I will have to try that. I make them with brown sugar, butter and garlic.
    Emily
    Bacon wrapped anything is pretty good... Bacon wrapped potatoes is one of the best things I've tasted. There was a dip that was supposed to be used too, a spicy sour cream mixture but, even just alone. Delicious!

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

I love bacon wrapped green beans! I never had them in Italian dressing. I will have to try that. I make them with brown sugar, butter and garlic.
    First time I had them that way but they were great to me.

I grilled brats last night. Give me a break if I didn't do it right but I'm a southern boy :D
    seared a bit on the stove in beer and butter with onions and fresh diced jalepeno and then put in the fridge for around five hours....nice little kick from the pepper and they were quite juicy

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Lizardjam wrote:
    Bacon wrapped anything is pretty good... Bacon wrapped potatoes is one of the best things I've tasted. There was a dip that was supposed to be used too, a spicy sour cream mixture but, even just alone. Delicious!

That sounds amazing. I am a sucker for anything with a dipping sauce.
    Emily
  • I love bacon wrapped green beans! I never had them in Italian dressing. I will have to try that. I make them with brown sugar, butter and garlic.

I grilled brats last night. Give me a break if I didn't do it right but I'm a southern boy :D
    seared a bit on the stove in beer and butter with onions and fresh diced jalepeno and then put in the fridge for around five hours....nice little kick from the pepper and they were quite juicy

Anything with jalepenos sounds good to me.
    Emily
    I love bacon wrapped green beans! I never had them in Italian dressing. I will have to try that. I make them with brown sugar, butter and garlic.

Anything with jalepenos sounds good to me.

What about bacon wrapped Jalapies? Hmmmm I don't even love them and I think it sounds good!

• he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    pandora wrote:

great film, great scene!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I swear never before have I spent so much time grilling as I have so far this summer.

well, last night I picked up a couple of rib eyes (not the best ones I've ever had by far) and marinated in the old standby of worchestershire, garlic salt and parsley.

Grilled fresh squash and zucchini in a foil pack with butter, salt and pepper.

Had homemade mac and cheese left over.

And then I made my first attempt at grilled bananas which we loved actually. Drizzled with honey and a liberal dusting of cinnamon....pretty damned tasty

• Speaking of bacon wrapped anything...I just got an email about this yesterday, and was reminded that I should share here....

Red-Neck Turtle Burgers:

Here's a new twist on how to serve burgers and if you don't cook,
    give this handy little guide to someone that does and request them.

Handmade ground beef patties, topped with sharp cheddar cheese, wrapped in a bacon weave, then the next step,
    add hotdogs as the heads, legs with slits for toes and tail.

Next step. Place on an oven rack, covered loosely with foil and baked for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees. A little crispy, not too crunchy.

click here for pictures (you gotta see the pics!):
    http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/topic/75383-red-neck-turtle-burgers/
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Speaking of bacon wrapped anything...I just got an email about this yesterday, and was reminded that I should share here....

Red-Neck Turtle Burgers:

Handmade ground beef patties, topped with sharp cheddar cheese, wrapped in a bacon weave, then the next step,

Next step. Place on an oven rack, covered loosely with foil and baked for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees. A little crispy, not too crunchy.

those are hilarious! and look delicious...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Speaking of bacon wrapped anything...I just got an email about this yesterday, and was reminded that I should share here....

Red-Neck Turtle Burgers:

It's really cool that they show before and after it's cooked. They look fun but, and this is from someone that LOVES meat and bacon, they just look like i'd be full after two bites, an overkill of meat. I like a bun! That burger is also super fat! So much ground beef! Turtle heart attacks is more like it. :mrgreen:

Actually on the subject of bacon, I have been eating a lot of turkey bacon recently(in my effort to cut calories). Anyone have a suggestion on brand? I don't think I like the Jenny O brand very much. The store brand even seems to be better.

• Lizardjam wrote:

Red-Neck Turtle Burgers:

It's really cool that they show before and after it's cooked. They look fun but, and this is from someone that LOVES meat and bacon, they just look like i'd be full after two bites, an overkill of meat. I like a bun! That burger is also super fat! So much ground beef! Turtle heart attacks is more like it. :mrgreen:

Someone's comment on that forum made me laugh:
    "Looks yummy. But I think it would give me explosive diareah or a stomach ache. ^^;;; (being it's too greasy)"
    :lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Lizardjam wrote:
    Actually on the subject of bacon, I have been eating a lot of turkey bacon recently(in my effort to cut calories). Anyone have a suggestion on brand? I don't think I like the Jenny O brand very much. The store brand even seems to be better.

I dont always eat bacon, but when I do, I prefer:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUcBV1g-vwPxGJBWh4NpSfjKxH-DvNXGqV_z5rOIiA-qN4cAvfAw
    *drooly face*

that didnt really answer your question at all...did it? :lol:
    Healthy bacon...just not worth it imo...gotta be all or none 8-)

Lizardjam wrote:

I dont always eat bacon, but when I do, I prefer:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUcBV1g-vwPxGJBWh4NpSfjKxH-DvNXGqV_z5rOIiA-qN4cAvfAw
    *drooly face*

that didnt really answer your question at all...did it? :lol:
    Healthy bacon...just not worth it imo...gotta be all or none 8-)

I half agree. I LOVE bacon! But, when I'm trying to lose weight, turkey bacon will suffice. I have two packages and if it doesn't taste a bit better by the end of the second....that's it. Back to REAL!

Anyone have any good bbq pork chop recipes? I want to make grilled pork chops tonight but I need to find a good recipe for the rub or sauce.

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I interested in trying out new foods; any vegan blogs people recommend? Any baking blogs people recommend?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Cooking Lots from garden bounty. Just got the new complete vegetarian cookbook. Stuffed zucchini with almonds is so good!
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    And then I made my first attempt at grilled bananas which we loved actually. Drizzled with honey and a liberal dusting of cinnamon....pretty damned tasty

Might I suggest kebobs/skewers of banana slices, pineapple chunks, large strawberries and cubed up pound cake (like that frozen Sara Lee kind for easy cutting)... give a light brush of melted butter and grill. Serves nice with a scoop of ice cream or a Greek yogurt sauce (flavored, orange, etc...). The strawberries cook faster than the rest is why I suggest large ones.
    I don't know where it is on Rachel Ray's site, 'cause I got it from her magazine but she has banana rolls that look so good. I can't wait to make them. They have egg roll wrappers, banana slices, and nutella.

I also started watching bithin kitchen this weekend and I made the chicken broth last night. "Liquid Gold" it's called on the site. Theyre's nothing quite like homemade broth. I LOVE it and nothing store bought ever comes close. Tonight I'm making the Italian Stracciatella with mini meatballs, cheese tortellini, and baby spinach! I can't wait to try it!!

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    The Hatch chilies are in season!!!
    Get them while you can!
    I made a Green Chili chicken stew last night. Fan-tastic!!

%7B36AA6144-2759-40A2-8EE9-ABF36CB0EB06%7D_2007%20Shipping%20.JPG

a_chile-box-for-web-8.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    went out to dinner with gf last week and she took a picture of her food.

:?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i did a "nose to tail" tasting menu on friday ... we chose wild boar

first course: deep fried risotto balls made with boar liver and leg
    second course: breaded tenderloin with garden salad and fried boar ears
    third course: boar tongue with sea scallops
    fourth course: braised boar shoulder with gnocchi
    fifth course: roasted boar belly with boar head meatballs on a summer sukertash

dessert: maple ice cream with a boar bacon walnut shortbread ...

overall ... it was an experience but i don't think i would do it again ... i think maybe a better chef could have done it a bit better ... i found the seasoning off ...