The foodie thread

Comments

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Buffalo Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese! :D
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    Get_Right wrote:
    One of the best refreshing things to eat as an appetizer ..

Fresh ripe figs peeled and then wrap a nice slice of Prosciutto imported if you can get some ...
    I make a pizza with fresh figs, prosciutto and carmelized red onions (stolen from the spotted pig).

Last night was a corporate dinner at Carmines in the city. I havent been there in awhile, but the food was pretty good considering they had 75 :shock: of us to serve. Great gulf shrimp cocktail, fried calamari and veal saltimbocca.
    Tartufo was damn good as well.

Tonight: something green to offset the 3lbs. of food I had last night.

Nice glad to hear the comp is doing good by you .. :mrgreen:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    JaneNY wrote:
    Simple dinner - rice, masur dal (cooked South Indian style with garlic, mustard seed and kari leaves), and garlic and mango pickle.

That sounds awesome!
    We were just talking about going out for Indian, we rarely do. Amazingly, not too many places around us which is odd because we have just about every cuisine surrounding us. Hubby doesnt know how to make anything Indian either, might have to scout out some recipes. I love to read about food, and then hubby cooks. :mrgreen:

This past Monday he made the first batch of Thai cucmber salad of the season....delicious! I love, love, love it....bit spicy but so refreshing, eat a ton of it every summer. Its the best when we can use fresh cucumbers from our garden later in the summer. Ive had it for lunch the past 2 days. Heaven.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Last night I sat and dipped fresh strawberries in Gu chocolate ganache - truly heavenly.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    Nice glad to hear the comp is doing good by you .. :mrgreen:
    Thanks-I hope things go smoothly with you know what. :!:
  • Just made the first home made salsa of the summer. Too much lime, not enough heat, but it still made a tasty breakfast.
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Made homemade double decker tacos tonight.
    I started making these cause my daughter (5yrs) loves mexican as do hubby and I. But the problem is that her soft tacos always fall all apart on her. She just hasnt mastered holding them together. And we have the same issues with the hard ones. So I take a soft shell and spread refried beans on it, then put the assembled hard taco inside of it. Its stays together perfectly!
    Our fillings were beef, tomatos, romaine, avocado, chopped olives, red onion, jalapeno jack cheese, sour cream and salsa. I was out of cilantro otherwise that would go in too. But our guinea pigs love it and it doesnt last long at our place!
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • genevieve wrote:
    Made homemade double decker tacos tonight.
    I started making these cause my daughter (5yrs) loves mexican as do hubby and I. But the problem is that her soft tacos always fall all apart on her. She just hasnt mastered holding them together. And we have the same issues with the hard ones. So I take a soft shell and spread refried beans on it, then put the assembled hard taco inside of it. Its stays together perfectly!
    Our fillings were beef, tomatos, romaine, avocado, chopped olives, red onion, jalapeno jack cheese, sour cream and salsa. I was out of cilantro otherwise that would go in too. But our guinea pigs love it and it doesnt last long at our place!

I have the same problem w/ Hard tacos. I never make them because they just crumble and fall apart. If I dont do soft tacos, I make taco salad. Instead of hard or soft shells, I just get tostitos chips, put them in a bowl, crush them up, throw all the other fixins on top, grab a fork and your good to go. Relatively mess free!!!

Mmmm. Taco salad. I will have to make this sometime soon now 8-)

And, for the record...I do not smell like cat pee and raisins :D
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    I know i am not alone because when I was looking for this image, the words were already written in on this one:
    thumbnail.aspx?q=878470703530&id=a88e937f62ee25e80d34d750067ef1b6

Its not like chocolate covered nuts--they are like "dusted" with this cocoa powder, but its roasted on so its different...

ALSO super delish are the cinnamon ones...I never would have bought that kind, but a friend I got hooked on the dark cocoa ones found the cinnamon chillin on the shelf next to them at the store.

I love nuts!! The above are recommendations for any other nut lovers out there :D
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
    ^wasabi smokehouse almonds YUM

tonight
    simple meal of Japanese smoked eel over brown rice with sansho pepper and home made pickled ginger
    white miso soup with tiny clams
    daikon carrot salad (like the one on your bahn mi)
    hijiki salad with edamame, red and yellow peppers and a yuzu dressing

sounds fancy, but incredibly easy

oh yeah, lots of ice cold sake to tip the caloric scale over the top(in reference to the diet thread)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    Get_Right wrote:
    ^wasabi smokehouse almonds YUM

tonight
    simple meal of Japanese smoked eel over brown rice with sansho pepper and home made pickled ginger
    white miso soup with tiny clams
    daikon carrot salad (like the one on your bahn mi)
    hijiki salad with edamame, red and yellow peppers and a yuzu dressing

sounds fancy, but incredibly easy

oh yeah, lots of ice cold sake to tip the caloric scale over the top(in reference to the diet thread)

Damm that sounds good i will probably order out tonight not sure what though ..since she can't cook yet :twisted:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Man the dreamers have been eating like pigs and drinking like fish. Indeed, a great stay cation. :mrgreen:
    We've been downing a lot of different fantastic salads and true NY thin crust pizza.....mmmmm. We had a fantastic meal out byt the vineyards in cutchogue I believe, this restaurant called Amano. On e of the most delicious spinach salads, ever. And sure, lots of yummy LI wine too. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I'm starting to dig green chile salsa. Maybe one day, if I ever decide to devote the time to cooking, I'll create a stunning black bean burger with green chile salsa, and roasted garlic something or another. I haven't come up with the ending.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I made an awesome corn, avocado, and quinoa salad with lemon vinegarette and a sweet potato salad to go with our grilled halibut last night. the first was a wegman's recipe and the second was from my mother-in-law's better homes and garden magazine. it has definitely helped make the recovery week on month 1 of p90x taste a little better.
    Oh and last night for our anniversary dinner, went to our favorite Italian place and had one of my most favorite meals, though couldn't have our favorite appetizer :x .....so missed out on the fresh mozzarella and prosciutto.....but had penne al Arrabbiata.....yummmmmmY.....and foccaccia bread......yummmmmmY.........
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    genevieve wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    We had coconut shrimp tacos last night. It was perfect! I prefer fish tacos more though and the best I have had were at Akumal Beach in Mexico.

Holy. Shit. They were unforgettable.

OMG I had some of the best food at Akumal Beach too!!! Yummmm.

Great seafood in Akumal. If your down in that area again you must have the Parrillada in Tulum at a place called Casa Violeta. A huge mixed seafood grill. Everything fresh from the sea!
    http://pulpoandaplate.blogspot.com/2011 ... -does.html
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    just had THE BEST meatloaf....flipping delicious. Something to be said about comfort food. :)
    Sweet bejeebus.....we went to grimaldis for salad and pizza tonight. Orgasmic food experience. :shock:
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Sweet bejeebus.....we went to grimaldis for salad and pizza tonight. Orgasmic food experience. :shock:

What ever happened to the diet thread? :mrgreen::lol:
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Going out for greek tonight to celebrate hubbys birthday, really looking forward to it. More than likely some awesome hummus and shrimp skewers......yummm!
    i grilled up some tasty shrimp skewers last night....marinated them in lime juice and creole seasoning....they were a hit
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    Lizardjam wrote:

Hey now.....I did say we had a fucking salad. :lol:
    And it was awesome!
    Cucumbers...tomatoes.....romaine lettuce....red onions....fresh mozzarella and red wine vinegariette. Soooooooo good! And we had true NY thin crust pizza, margherita....just sauce, fresh mozzarella and basil cooked in a coal oven. Absolute bliss, and yes, ot terrible for your waistline. Honest. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Lizardjam wrote:

Hey now.....I did say we had a fucking salad. :lol:
    And it was awesome!
    Cucumbers...tomatoes.....romaine lettuce....red onions....fresh mozzarella and red wine vinegariette. Soooooooo good! And we had true NY thin crust pizza, margherita....just sauce, fresh mozzarella and basil cooked in a coal oven. Absolute bliss, and yes, ot terrible for your waistline. Honest. :D

No, pizza isn't that bad when it's made right! i was just giving you a hard time....I hate salad! :mrgreen:

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

Lizardjam wrote:
    No, pizza isn't that bad when it's made right! i was just giving you a hard time....I hate salad! :mrgreen:

Clearly, you've not eaten the right salad. Truly. Salad can be fucking awesome when made right. YummmmmmY. Mr. Dream and I have been indulging in awesome salads all summer long. Just indulging in too much other shit too. :lol: While it's been great having him home, I think my ass will be happy when he returns to work, because maybe it will finally have the. Chance to get smaller again! Hahaha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    I made a goulash, stroganoff sorta thing with rice instead of the usual egg noodles I would make. And then some fresh tomatos and a ceasar salad. Very tasty supper.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    speaking of salad...i made this awesome quinoa salad a few days ago and made enough to last me till today. going to eat the rest for lunch. mmmm....delish.
    I outdid myself yesterday
    cookout party for some friends visiting from Japan

Cherrystone clams and smoked turkey kielbasa (from the farmers market) in a white wine, butter, garlic and parsley broth (basically, 5 dozen steamed clams)
    Lobster rolls-by special request
    Salad
    Grilled corn with chipolte compound butter
    Baby lamb chops with mint pesto

and about 7 sierra nevada summerfests!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Had lovely dinner last night...chicken and rice.

1# chicken (breast or thigh)
    1-16oz jar of salsa
    2 T brown sugar (optional)

mix salsa and brown sugar
    dump into slow cooker
    place chicken in slow cooker
    spoon salsa over chicken to cover it
    set on low for 5 hours
    shred chicken with forks and mix with salsa (pull out bones if you didn't buy boneless)
    cook on low for another hour

we used frozen thigh meat...came out great, you could use fresh chicken, but it would cook a lot faster.
    use mixture as filling for tortillas, on top of rice, as a chip dip, whatever you like
    delicious and pretty good for you!
    tastes very similar to a pulled pork burrito Mr. RK gets at the local Mexican place.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    sp_1414_clip07.jpg
    You gonna deglaze that f**king pan? I'd deglaze the f**k out of that pan.Episode-Creme-fraiche-south-park.jpg
    #FHP
    Hubby is marinating a couple of thick chicken breasts in a ginger scallion glaze, then stuffing them with fresh rosemary and tossing on the grill. Have a nice mixed greens and cucumber salad to accompany, some wine....eating outdoors.....nice tuesday dinner!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Lizardjam wrote:

Clearly, you've not eaten the right salad. Truly. Salad can be fucking awesome when made right. YummmmmmY. Mr. Dream and I have been indulging in awesome salads all summer long. Just indulging in too much other shit too. :lol: While it's been great having him home, I think my ass will be happy when he returns to work, because maybe it will finally have the. Chance to get smaller again! Hahaha.

That and I think the fact that I detest most vegetables that make up a salad(tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, etc..) I like me a good caesar! Nothing but lettuce, dressing, and croutons! I do not like the anchovie in traditional recipes!!