Options

FENWAY PARK SEPTEMBER 9

Comments

• Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Actually, I just realized that Fenway is a stadium. Different stage-build rules.

Arena and Amphitheater shows get put up and taken down within 18 hours. The stage itself for shows like PJ originate at the venue, and the tour travels with their own sound and lights that get put up that day (plus band gear) load-in at 8am, and load-out at 11:30am-2am.

Stadium shows are completely different, typically a week long; About 3 days to build, 1 or 2 days for the show(s), and about 2 days to deconstruct. Show lights and sound would probably be redundant to those being used elsewhere but more plentiful for the larger stage and venue, so except for musical gear,the rest of their touring gear would not have to go to the venue if distance was an issue.

So, essentially a stadium as a unique date is possible. Not sure of where and when their other shows are, but, possible.

I just don't see PJ as being able to play Fenway and get anywhere near capacity. I believe its 35,000, and that's before the floor. Figure a floor would hold about 10,000... I just don't see them filling this place... with one exceptions... (bbf)

The shows I have been to @ Fenway have the bleacher section blocked off because the stage was out in centerfield, which makes those seats obstructed.. That take a big chunk of seats out of the equation, but is made up for by seats on the field. Still high capacity though. At least it wouldn't be as bad trying to get tickets!!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    jervin007 wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Actually, I just realized that Fenway is a stadium. Different stage-build rules.

Arena and Amphitheater shows get put up and taken down within 18 hours. The stage itself for shows like PJ originate at the venue, and the tour travels with their own sound and lights that get put up that day (plus band gear) load-in at 8am, and load-out at 11:30am-2am.

Stadium shows are completely different, typically a week long; About 3 days to build, 1 or 2 days for the show(s), and about 2 days to deconstruct. Show lights and sound would probably be redundant to those being used elsewhere but more plentiful for the larger stage and venue, so except for musical gear,the rest of their touring gear would not have to go to the venue if distance was an issue.

So, essentially a stadium as a unique date is possible. Not sure of where and when their other shows are, but, possible.

I just don't see PJ as being able to play Fenway and get anywhere near capacity. I believe its 35,000, and that's before the floor. Figure a floor would hold about 10,000... I just don't see them filling this place... with one exceptions... (bbf)

The shows I have been to @ Fenway have the bleacher section blocked off because the stage was out in centerfield, which makes those seats obstructed.. That take a big chunk of seats out of the equation, but is made up for by seats on the field. Still high capacity though. At least it wouldn't be as bad trying to get tickets!!

Saw Springsteen here a few years back.
    They also had the entire infield roped off, ( understandably )
    As appealing as this might sound to all of us rabid fanatical North Easterners ,
    a concert in this beautiful stadium is not all its cracked up to be, just saying .
    It was built for baseball, and near 100 years old.
    Believe me the place shows it ,
    What a clusterfuck getting bottled up in the tunnels underneath and the tiny little entranceways .

Granted if PJ announced this , I'd try to attend,
    but at least this time around I'd know what to expect.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Agreed about it not being a great concert venue. Saw DMB and The Police and the acoustics aren't that great, but I guess seeing a show there is cool because its Fenway. I've always preferred them @ The Garden (even though its not the real Garden), but I am sure Theo has been pushing this for a while. The neighborhood isn't going to be happy though. :lol:
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    on2legs wrote:
    Do we start booking hotel rooms now or what? ;)

Hell, I just booked a non-refundable flight. If this doesn't happen or I can't get tickets, I'm never going to a Pearl Jam show again!

WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    This rumor gets resurrected every time the band tours North America (at least during the Epstein era). And it messes with my emotions each and every time -- maybe a little more when I lived in the Fenway, but still, stop toying with me, man!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Lukin19Lukin19 We The North Posts: 505
    Swordo wrote:
    I really think that block is free for TIFF.
    I guess nobody want's to listen to us.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    The Op's source looks to be pretty credible. Looked through his previous posts and noticed he posted this back on February 5th:
    I DONT KNOW ABOUT ALPINE VALLEY. I DO KNOW THAT THERE WILL BE MULIPLE SHOWS IN CANADA AFTER THE FESTIVAL.SEPTEMBER,LIKE IN 2005. THE BAND HAS ALSO RESERVED A WEEK AT FENWAY PARK IN JULY.NOTHING SOLID.BANDS SOMETIME DO RESERVE PLACES,BUT SOMETIMES NOTHING COMES OUT OF IT. LAST THING. SPRING TIME ED SOLO SHOWS ON EAST COAST.ALL THIS NEWS IS FROM A VERY RELIABLE SOURCE WHO IS CLOSE TO THE BAND.WHO HAPPENS TO BE A FRIEND.START SAVING, GONNA BE AN EXSPENSIVE YEAR.
    Was pretty spot on! :shock:
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Buy this in advance for your F5 button...

anibird.gif

:lol::lol::lol:
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    vedderlover1vedderlover1 Posts: 178
    Cousin works on management for the sox and as of yet, it is not happening. Sorry, I was hoping for it too but she said she hasn't even heard whispers of it, and she would know.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    I'm a boston guy too..
    But if Fenway is in the bands future I can't see it being squeezed in after pj20.

My bet is they will try again after the new songs are released and the tour for that music..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,627
    I'm a 20 minute bike ride away & would love a Fenway show.

I was at the 2nd Springsteen show there, and agree with people about the acoustics, and if you don't know your way around the park (ie what gates to go into) it can be a complete clusterf- (like another poster said)

All that being said, I would go ape$hit if they played there, and don't think they would have a problem selling that place out. Consider the fans who travel great distances to see them @ average venues and a lot of less hardcore fans who would go just to see them @ the Fens.
    I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, but won't be shocked if this isn't the year either.

PS. Congrats to my Bruins, it's been a long time since they got this far, hope they can beat the Canucks.
  • Options
    Mike's SideMike's Side Posts: 954
    Any excuse to go back home.

bbf
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica
    2013 - Wrigley,Brooklyn 1&2,Seattle
    2014 - Denver,Mountain View 1&2
    2015 - Bogata, Mexico City
    2016 - Ft Lauderdale,Miami,Tampa,NYC 1&2,Telluride,Fenway 1&2,Wrigley 1&2

• Options
    Laf9124Laf9124 Posts: 342
    bg215825 wrote:
    I'm a 20 minute bike ride away & would love a Fenway show.

I was at the 2nd Springsteen show there, and agree with people about the acoustics, and if you don't know your way around the park (ie what gates to go into) it can be a complete clusterf- (like another poster said)

All that being said, I would go ape$hit if they played there, and don't think they would have a problem selling that place out. Consider the fans who travel great distances to see them @ average venues and a lot of less hardcore fans who would go just to see them @ the Fens.
    I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, but won't be shocked if this isn't the year either.

PS. Congrats to my Bruins, it's been a long time since they got this far, hope they can beat the Canucks.
    Go Bruins! :-) Coming from someone who lives in Chicago, I hear similar things about Wrigley Field shows. Also know it takes quite a while(as someone mentioned) to set things up, tear em down, and then the show itself. I believe Sheffield Ave gets shut down for a week so the gear can get loaded into/out of Wrigley. Not seeing how it could happen at this late a planning stage.
  • Options
    pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    pipes5977 wrote:
    Hearing September 9 fenway park. The sox are away and do not return home until the 12th. Maybee thats why " ONLY US SHOW OF 2011 dissapeared from the announcements. Have to wait and see what happens.

screw that, how about a 2nd montreal show on the 9th :D
  • Options
    The Op's source looks to be pretty credible. Looked through his previous posts and noticed he posted this back on February 5th:
    I DONT KNOW ABOUT ALPINE VALLEY. I DO KNOW THAT THERE WILL BE MULIPLE SHOWS IN CANADA AFTER THE FESTIVAL.SEPTEMBER,LIKE IN 2005. THE BAND HAS ALSO RESERVED A WEEK AT FENWAY PARK IN JULY.NOTHING SOLID.BANDS SOMETIME DO RESERVE PLACES,BUT SOMETIMES NOTHING COMES OUT OF IT. LAST THING. SPRING TIME ED SOLO SHOWS ON EAST COAST.ALL THIS NEWS IS FROM A VERY RELIABLE SOURCE WHO IS CLOSE TO THE BAND.WHO HAPPENS TO BE A FRIEND.START SAVING, GONNA BE AN EXSPENSIVE YEAR.
    Was pretty spot on! :shock:
    well if they suppose to play fenway at first in july for 2 or 3 nights, that idea is done now, cause of soundgarden too, probably why it got cancelled and is nopt happening or ever was
  • Options
    was hoping pj picked a real festival venue rather than alpine valley which is not a festival venue at all really. they should of played wrigley field instead 2 nights rather than alpine if you ask me, and i thught eddie loves the cubs
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Everytime this idea comes up, I ask the question why because the guy who makes personnel decisions for the baseball team is a noted fan of the band, does that make PJ @ Fenway a slam dunk. Hosting a concert is a business decision, something totally out of Theo Epstien's realm of his role with the team. If Pearl Jam ever plays at the venue, it will be because it's a smart business venture for the Fenway Sports Group, not because the guy who puts a roster together likes a band.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Everytime this idea comes up, I ask the question why because the guy who makes personnel decisions for the baseball team is a noted fan of the band, does that make PJ @ Fenway a slam dunk. Hosting a concert is a business decision, something totally out of Theo Epstien's realm of his role with the team. If Pearl Jam ever plays at the venue, it will be because it's a smart business venture for the Fenway Sports Group, not because the guy who puts a roster together likes a band.

Of course it makes sense. It's worked for plenty of bands and it will work for Pearl Jam. Having Epstein for it only helps.
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Wilds wrote:

Of course it makes sense. It's worked for plenty of bands and it will work for Pearl Jam. Having Epstein for it only helps.

Theo's power only comes to making decisions related to on-field personnel. Nothing to do with sponsorships, season tickets, beer prices, and even concert bookings. I know that the belief is to deify his role with the Red Sox, but he has no sway on what goes on business-wise for Fenway Sports Group.
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:

Theo's power only comes to making decisions related to on-field personnel. Nothing to do with sponsorships, season tickets, beer prices, and even concert bookings. I know that the belief is to deify his role with the Red Sox, but he has no sway on what goes on business-wise for Fenway Sports Group.

Deify? I don't think I've done that. :lol: :roll: :lol:
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    .y.
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • Options
    Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 565
    Well I hope this is true, although I'll be in Boston for a wedding the weekend before, shame it couldn't be the same weekend if this date ends up being true. Guess I'll have to make 2 trips up there.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,627
    I just heard from a FAIRLY reliable source that they will indeed play @ The Fens between Montreal and Toronto. How reliable you may ask? While I won't be betting my house on it, I feel pretty confident I'll be seeing my favorite band @ my favorite ballpark in 2011.
  • Options
    PLEASE BE TRUE!!!
    :D
  • Options
    mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    Wilds wrote:

Come on, really? Sure, Theo's position relates specifically to the personnel of the Red Sox. But you honestly think there's zero chance that if Theo said, "Here's an opportunity, a lot of people would like to see it. Let's try to make it happen.", Fenway Sports Group would tell him to pound sand?

It's not likely that this is going down, as much as I hope it is. But Epstein's got pull, regardless of his job title/duties.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Wilds wrote:

It's no coincidence that the Red Sox started the Red Sox nation fan club the year Theo became gm which allows members to buy tix to one game before they go onsale to the general public. (I wonder where he got that idea. ;) )

Thanks to the Red Sox fan club, me and nothingman44 were sitting next to the to ballgirl first row on the field for the A's game on Saturday at Fenway.

So I'm guessing Theo has a a little more input than just with play personnel.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Solat13 wrote:
    It's no coincidence that the Red Sox started the Red Sox nation fan club the year Theo became gm which allows members to buy tix to one game before they go onsale to the general public. (I wonder where he got that idea. ;) )

Thanks to the Red Sox fan club, me and nothingman44 were sitting next to the to ballgirl first row on the field for the A's game on Saturday at Fenway.

But, did the servers crash??
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    I know Ill likely get flamed for this- but this band's loyalty/bias to Philly and Boston is getting really old!!! I recognize that they are a band that can play anywhere they like and will likely sell out, and that Boston and Philly are great towns with great PJ fans- but c'mon already!!!!! Its starting to piss me off and I think alot of other PJ fans around the US and the world who have to wait 5-10 YEARS between shows, and while Boston/Philly/NYC never have to wait a year or two at the most....What gives :x
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    awilkins wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

But, did the servers crash??

Nope, they use a virtual waiting room which I think is a very fair system.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    thunderx49thunderx49 Posts: 31
    I was planning on getting married this year, but if this happens, along with the cash I've already forked over for PJ20, and the subsequent beer money I will be consuming that weekend, I think I need to ask the future wifey to push the wedding into 2012. Wonder how that will go over...