The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    81 wrote:
    well demarcus cousins got his first coach fired this week:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... -as-coach/

westphal clearly should have handled this better but cousins' is such a punk. i'm glad the sixers didn't draft his immature ass last year.

next up....hawks coach

the hawks are frauds every year :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    in other news.....D Howard has more reboounds than anybody but Rodman (96/97 season) in the first 7 games of a season
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Congratulations to LeBron James for getting engaged. His fiancé now leads the family with 1 ring.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Congratulations to LeBron James for getting engaged. His fiancé now leads the family with 1 ring.
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    Congratulations to LeBron James for getting engaged. His fiancé now leads the family with 1 ring.
    :lol:

I think the heat are genius. Prentending their guys are injured to rest them during this condensed schedule. gonna pay off come playoff time . they are gonna win it all

more teams should be resting guys during these back to back (and sometimes another back)
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... 7181.story
    K.C. Johnson

10:58 p.m. CST, January 5, 2012
    In the 1997-98 season, as Michael Jordan moved from 34 years old to 35 and from five championships to six, he averaged 38.8 minutes per game.

How come nobody questioned the Zen Master about overtaxing his stars?

Phil Jackson leads Tom Thibodeau in coaching championships 11 to one, which Thibodeau earned as an assistant with the Celtics. Those Celtics, it should be noted, played the 31-year-old Paul Pierce and the 33-year-old Ray Allen 35.9 minutes per game en route to the 2008 title.

The point is: Stars get leaned on in the NBA. It's a time-tested practice, used last season by the Mavericks as the 32-year-old Dirk Nowitzki logged 34.3 minutes per game and even the 37-year-old Jason Kidd averaged 33.2.

Derrick Rose is 23 years old. He is averaging 36.9 minutes per game this season and, at age 22 last season, logged 37.4 minutes of playing time. That's less than Jackson played Jordan when Jordan was 12 years older.

Luol Deng is Thibodeau's true ironman, playing an average of 39.1 minutes at age 25 last season. This season, Thibodeau has increased that to 39.4 minutes per game, including a staggering stretch of 39 minutes, 35 seconds consecutively over two games Tuesday and Wednesday.

How does Deng feel about his workload?

"I love it," Deng told the Tribune. "It has helped my game."

For truer comparison's sake, Jordan averaged 40 minutes per game at Rose's age of 23 and 39 minutes at Deng's age of 26.

But this season's compressed 66-game schedule is different, right? Indeed, the Bulls are in a brutal stretch of four games in five nights, seven games in nine nights and nine in 12. Such stretches will challenge every team this season.

And how did the Jeff Van Gundy-led and Thibodeau-assisted Knicks handle the 1998-99 season, the last time a lockout shortened the schedule? The 27-year-old Allan Houston averaged 36.3 minutes in the 50-game season. More tellingly, creaky center Patrick Ewing, at age 36, played 34.2 minutes per game.

The Knicks advanced to the NBA Finals, losing to the Spurs.

Thibodeau isn't going to change. The same style that pleased fans en route to a league-best 62 victories and a surprise trip to the Eastern Conference finals is in place thus far this season. He treats every game the same, as a winnable moment, a chance to play a complete, 48-minute game.

The Bulls are the rare team that goes two deep at each position. And Thibodeau is the rare coach who consistently uses a 10-man rotation. But Rose and Deng are going to play — and play a lot.

"I'm fine with it," Rose said. "I told you, that's why I worked so hard in the offseason. I ran everywhere, worked on my conditioning. I felt a bit beat up at the end of last season, but that's because of the physical demands, not the minutes. I worked hard in the weight room, preparing my body for this season."

The Bulls took Thursday off in Orlando. Even last season, a normal 82-game marathon, Thibodeau rarely practiced on the road and never practiced following back-to-back games. He demands mental preparation and intensity at all times. But you don't sit on NBA benches for 21 seasons without recognizing the physical demands and adjusting accordingly.

"One of the biggest responsibilities as a head coach is knowing how to pace your team," Thibodeau said.

Accordingly, the Bulls will spend as much time in hotel ballrooms this season as a corporate businessmen, staging walkthroughs. They will become almost as bleary-eyed as Thibodeau breaking down game film on off-days.

But one reason Thibodeau can afford to ride his go-to players on game days is because of what he does on off-days.

"The thought that he pushes players too hard is laughable," veteran reserve Brian Scalabrine said. "He has everything planned out."

As for those who say Rose shouldn't have been in the game when he suffered his elbow injury, just ask the Lakers about double-digit leads with four minutes left. On Christmas Day, Mike Brown had three starters, including Kobe Bryant, and two key reserves in when the Lakers led by 11 with 3:44 remaining.

The Bulls won.

Granted, the Bulls' lead stood at 14 points when Rose went down. But the Pistons had been within 12 points 30 seconds before Rose's injury, which marked the first stoppage of play in that span.

It's valid to question why Rose remained in for the 2:23, although obviously athletic trainer Fred Tedeschi cleared him. The only counter to that remains: This is Thibodeau's way.

Last season, LeBron James averaged 38.8 minutes per game, Dwyane Wade logged 37.2 and Chris Bosh checked in at 36.3.

"Hey, Erik Spoelstra. How come you play your stars so much?"

Everyone does.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    but the heat are sitting guys out for games. faking injuries.

it further proves how bad the nba is, but it's smart as hell. why make your stars play 4-5 meaningless games in a week??

more teams should do this.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,918
    mavericks going to the white house.....except for delonte west. he's banned. probably a good call.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:

it further proves how bad the nba is, but it's smart as hell. why make your stars play 4-5 meaningless games in a week??

especially if you are expected to go deep in the playoffs ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

especially if you are expected to go deep in the playoffs ...

sitting healthy players in jan. is fraudulent. i'd be pissed if i bought bulls tickets and D rose was on teh bench with a fake injury.... :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    sitting healthy players in jan. is fraudulent. i'd be pissed if i bought bulls tickets and D rose was on teh bench with a fake injury.... :x

i agree ... but it's a fine line ... it's not so much of a fake injury as in ... he's a little banged up - let's not take any chances ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    i agree ... but it's a fine line ... it's not so much of a fake injury as in ... he's a little banged up - let's not take any chances ...

Yeah, there's going to be a lot that this season with this compressed schedule. Playoff seeding won't mean much...teams just need to get in.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    john hollinger's 1st power rankings:

1 sixers
    2 heat
    3 bulls
    4 blazers
    5 hawks
    6 nuggets
    7 spurs
    8 lakers
    9 thunder
    10 clippers

;)
    www.myspace.com
    john hollinger's 1st power rankings:

1 sixers
    2 heat
    3 bulls
    4 blazers
    5 hawks
    6 nuggets
    7 spurs
    8 lakers
    9 thunder
    10 clippers

;)
    Someboey is high
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • so remember Nate Robinson, he has 22 tonight for the Warriors.

Best news of the day was Kobe getting more than 15 in the first half to extend my streak to 10 in ESPN's Streak for the Cash.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

awesome. :lol::lol::lol:

guy on the right sort of looks like cavstar. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    can somebody explain to me, who GS can beat the likes of Miami and Chicago, yet stink up agaist nearly everyone else.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    can somebody explain to me, who GS can beat the likes of Miami and Chicago, yet stink up agaist nearly everyone else.

i think you'll see a lot of that ... with back to back to back's and the condensed schedule ... factor in travel and injuries - what you end up getting is a lot more variables determining who will win a game ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:

i think you'll see a lot of that ... with back to back to back's and the condensed schedule ... factor in travel and injuries - what you end up getting is a lot more variables determining who will win a game ...

from what i've seen, the back to back stuff is over rated. every body is doing it. and the teams playing the 3rd game in a 3 games in 3 nights stretch have been dominating the win column
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    JK_Livin wrote:

This is great, just came to post that.
    81 wrote:
    from what i've seen, the back to back stuff is over rated. every body is doing it. and the teams playing the 3rd game in a 3 games in 3 nights stretch have been dominating the win column

yeah ... all i'm saying is that there are a lot more variables now ... in the case of GS ... they played chicago on the second of end of a back to back (as was chicago) but they didn't have to travel ... plus, they had curry playing that game ... they also beat miami at home where maybe the cross country flight plus reintegrating wade was a bit of an issue ... all i know is that looking at the team and their records isn't going to predict who wins ... i knew last nite the raps would throw a stinker up and lose to the only winless team ... 2nd of a back to back to back where the guys that are gonna get you wins played big mins the night before and then had to travel going against a young team rested at home desperate for a win ... no brainer there ...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,918
    in advance of tonight's game, allow me to say....

FUCK THE LAKERS
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    in advance of tonight's game, allow me to say....

FUCK THE LAKERS

:wave: :mrgreen:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Always good to see the Heat lose. Thank you Clippers! :D
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Newch91 wrote:
    Always good to see the Heat lose. Thank you Clippers! :D

And in fine fashion too. Always nice to see Lebron brick a go ahead freeby. The Heat are just a really douchey team to watch.

I've always like Magic as a personality but I think he's been on ESPN too long. In the pregame when he was saying everybody needs to get off Lebron's back about the night before. I can remember a few instances where they showed BREAKING NEWS along the bottom line and it's been Magic callin Lebron out about one thing or another.
  • My colleague at work told me you can by NBA live internet access for one teams games only?
    Is this true?
    If so I want to know the price of this, I was told it is cheaper.
    I just want to watch Bulls games.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • My colleague at work told me you can by NBA live internet access for one teams games only?
    Is this true?
    If so I want to know the price of this, I was told it is cheaper.
    I just want to watch Bulls games.

DW found it, still expensive....
    injuries are starting to creep up ... it's gonna be survival of the fittest in this league ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    injuries are starting to creep up ... it's gonna be survival of the fittest in this league ...

starting...good god. Bulls are down to a 3rd string PG and a 2nd string SG. thank goodness for depth
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg