The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The system had to change....2/3 of teams were losing money in the old system.

My main issue is that they weren't working all summer to avoid this like the NFL did....the amount of time with no activity is absolutely ridiculous.

i would be really surprised if 2/3 of the teams lost money ... i wouldn't trust the owners unless there was an independent auditor ... also ... was it just last year - where the economic downturn caused many industries to lose money? ... also, is it really the fault of the players that the owners got greedy for expansion fees and thus has teams in markets that absolutely do not support basketball? ... why won't they contract the teams that are losing money? ...

i think any team can compete based on the current structure with good management ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I'm hopeful NBC will showcase more NHL games on Sundays now that basketball is out of the picture.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,669
    polaris_x wrote:
    The system had to change....2/3 of teams were losing money in the old system.

My main issue is that they weren't working all summer to avoid this like the NFL did....the amount of time with no activity is absolutely ridiculous.

i would be really surprised if 2/3 of the teams lost money ... i wouldn't trust the owners unless there was an independent auditor ... also ... was it just last year - where the economic downturn caused many industries to lose money? ... also, is it really the fault of the players that the owners got greedy for expansion fees and thus has teams in markets that absolutely do not support basketball? ... why won't they contract the teams that are losing money? ...

i think any team can compete based on the current structure with good management ...

I think they are losing money. My boss has a good friend who works for NBA TV. Constant layoffs over the past 3 years or so.

Also, living in Philadelphia for awhile, the 76ers, even as a playoff team get almost no interest, coverage, or attendance. In Buffalo, the NBA isnt anywhere near the radar.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I think they are losing money. My boss has a good friend who works for NBA TV. Constant layoffs over the past 3 years or so.

Also, living in Philadelphia for awhile, the 76ers, even as a playoff team get almost no interest, coverage, or attendance. In Buffalo, the NBA isnt anywhere near the radar.

but who's fault is it that they are losing money and what are the reasons? ...
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,669
    I dont know the NBA too well, but in hockey, it seems similar. It was a systematic failure and a hard cap with revenue sharing was necessary to save the league from rolling back to 18-25 teams. You had maybe 6-8 largest TV markets or traditionally good teams like the Leafs, NY Rangers, Detroit, Montreal, and Philly. They would make a ton of money, and the fact that there was no restraint, would result in them outbidding the Buffalos, Minnesotas, Calgarys, Carolinas, etc for every star (and marginally decent) player. This drove player salaries to an unsustainable level as the remainder of teams couldnt keep up and were losing tons of money.

They needed to tie salaries to revenue, creating a cap, and also share some revenue between the few teams who make a fortune, and small market teams.
    As a result, you have an equal distribution of superstars throughout the league, and teams are truly built through drafting and strategic monetary planning (as opposed to throwing checks at any name player who comes along). The league's revenues have grown a lot since the CBA... and more teams operate in the black.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:
    I'm hopeful NBC will showcase more NHL games on Sundays now that basketball is out of the picture.

that is/was set by the last tv contract. i believe in total, the number of games beign broadcast on vs/nbc has double vs. last year.

my total games availabe for viewing remained flat
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I dont know the NBA too well, but in hockey, it seems similar. It was a systematic failure and a hard cap with revenue sharing was necessary to save the league from rolling back to 18-25 teams. You had maybe 6-8 largest TV markets or traditionally good teams like the Leafs, NY Rangers, Detroit, Montreal, and Philly. They would make a ton of money, and the fact that there was no restraint, would result in them outbidding the Buffalos, Minnesotas, Calgarys, Carolinas, etc for every star (and marginally decent) player. This drove player salaries to an unsustainable level as the remainder of teams couldnt keep up and were losing tons of money.

They needed to tie salaries to revenue, creating a cap, and also share some revenue between the few teams who make a fortune, and small market teams.
    As a result, you have an equal distribution of superstars throughout the league, and teams are truly built through drafting and strategic monetary planning (as opposed to throwing checks at any name player who comes along). The league's revenues have grown a lot since the CBA... and more teams operate in the black.

I like the NHL style....actually, nhl and nfl both do a good job.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Greedy f***s!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    polaris_x wrote:

he's a solid writer and i agree with alot that he has to say.....

idiots....both the players and owners.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    he's a solid writer and i agree with alot that he has to say.....

idiots....both the players and owners.

ya ... and he's not an enabler ... in terms of not holding players accountable ...

i think the article sums up pretty much what i've been saying ... the owners won this negotiation a long time ago ... the fact they tried to go for complete annihilation and to rub the players in it is why we are where we are ...

the union should have decertified a long time ago ...
    http://www.yahoosportsradio.com/nba/mar ... ons-11190/

this is audio of marc spears pretty much saying the same thing ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    polaris_x wrote:
    It appears Stern and Hunter would rather burn the house down instead of working together to pay the heating bill.

I don't know if these guys have a good gauge on the public right now, but if they cancel the season, they may as well just shut down half the league when they resume. Most people I know are not even aware that the start of the season has been pushed back.

If half the teams could barely get to 50% attendance last season, what do they expect after an extended lockout?

I can't believe how much the NBA has degraded its image in the last 15 years. I'll admit, as a Pacer's (ex) fan, I'm jaded from the evil doings of Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson, but I was willing to embrace the team again after the moxie they showed at the end of last season. But this lockout has reminded me that the NBA is an overpriced and over-hyped league, where the individual is more important then the team and owners are out to rake you over the coals.
    Jason P wrote:
    It appears Stern and Hunter would rather burn the house down instead of working together to pay the heating bill.

I don't know if these guys have a good gauge on the public right now, but if they cancel the season, they may as well just shut down half the league when they resume. Most people I know are not even aware that the start of the season has been pushed back.

If half the teams could barely get to 50% attendance last season, what do they expect after an extended lockout?

I can't believe how much the NBA has degraded its image in the last 15 years. I'll admit, as a Pacer's (ex) fan, I'm jaded from the evil doings of Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson, but I was willing to embrace the team again after the moxie they showed at the end of last season. But this lockout has reminded me that the NBA is an overpriced and over-hyped league, where the individual is more important then the team and owners are out to rake you over the coals.

well ... hunter's fault is that he is acting only to save his job ... stern's fault is that he went after the women and children too ... the players accepted to sacrifice themselves but the owners got greedy ... the concessions the players made would have ensured each team would be profitable and competitive moving forward but that wasn't enuf for them ...

as far as the league itself ... i agree with much of what you said ... still - it's a great game and i play every sunday to get out and run but there is a lot of shit going on ...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    81 wrote:
    :lol:

They might as well cancel the rest of the season.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,915
    this is where I get my NBA news.....so, give me some! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

no nba for you, come back one year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

you don't think the players' gambit has any chance of working? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    81 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

they have a court date on feb 29th, that can be moved up.

i have little hope of a season happening now.

lucky for you, spring training is only 75 days or so away.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    81 wrote:

they have a court date on feb 29th, that can be moved up.

i have little hope of a season happening now.

lucky for you, spring training is only 75 days or so away.
    it's the same time away for the pirates, too :lol:

are they looking for more pitchers on indian reality TV?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    it's the same time away for the pirates, too :lol:

are they looking for more pitchers on indian reality TV?

:lol:

there were suppose to be pretty good...i'll see if i can find anything on them...

btw, pirates signed a light hitting catcher from the Dodgers...oh boy. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    this guy played last year. 2.45era in 40.1 innings mostly in A ball. i'd say he has an outside shot of making the big club in 5 years
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... ngh-001rin

Looks like this guy washed out. played a little in 09 and 10, nothing last year. 5.27 era in 13.2 innnings
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... tel-001din

at the end of the day, India has a billion people....gotta be a couple of good players in that big of a pool
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    has the lockout gotten so bad that we're talking baseball here? :lol::lol:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    has the lockout gotten so bad that we're talking baseball here? :lol::lol:
    :lol: Sure seems like it.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    not much to discuss...seems both sides have their thumb up their ass right now waiting for the other side to blink
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i don't see a deal done with stern as commish ... i suspect his grip on the owners is very tight tho ...
  • so all players will come to Europe?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • so all players will come to Europe?

It's starting to look that way....
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    polaris_x wrote:
    i don't see a deal done with stern as commish ... i suspect his grip on the owners is very tight tho ...

Was listening to The BS Report w/ Bill Simmons and it seemed to be the collective opinion of everyone on the show that Stern should resign.

He's been commish so long, when we look back at his tenure, has he done more good or bad?

Seems within the last 10 years or so, there have been some rather unattractive things added to Stern's resume.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2