The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chinews-foreign-flavor-nba-continge-20111108,0,1215073.story

sounds like the union is pretty divided.....seems like some want the deal, and others don't. perhaps billy and fisher need to send the proposals to the players to see what they think instead sitting around with a thumb up their ass.

Agreed. Why not have all players vote... the option that wins is the one they pursue... after all they are representing the players... the players should voice their feelings. Each one of them.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    sounds positive right now...

i've giving it a 90% chance of a season happening
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    sounds positive right now...

i've giving it a 90% chance of a season happening

How many times have we heard that things are positive and heading in the right direction?? This whole thing is a joke. I really hope fans make a statement and a lot of these arenas are empty when they do start playing again...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    players got absolutely taken for in whatever deal gets worked out ...
  • CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    Michael Jordan ruined the NBA. He was so great and so amazing that when he left the NBA tried to create another one of him. They did this by changing the rules where you can't touch anyone anymore on defense. But the worst thing they did was, Michael Jordan was fouled all the time because he simply could not be stopped....after he left the NBA sent their new prize players to the freethrow line at Michael Jordan pace. The problem is they were not getting fouled like Jordan was. They did it so the Iverson's, McGrady's and the rapist Bryant could average 30 a game like Jordan did. Once the rapist became known as 'the new Jordan" (pause for laughter) they started to cheat for his team so he could win championship after championship like the real Jordan did. The NBA is nothing more than an entertainment tv show now and not a real sport, it is just like pro wrestling. I don't even call it the NBA anymore, it is now known as the WWF. It is a fake cheating entertainment tv series now. 7 foot greats are so hard to come by yet the two most prized franchises were GIVEN Pau Gaol and Kevin Garnett because the league needed those teams to be good again. Just plain cheating, so what's the point in rooting for teams if they just funnel the 7 foot stars to the teams they want? Michael Jordan ruined the league because he was so great.

bye :wave:
    Interesting take
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    Was that taken from Jordan's HOF acceptance speech? :lol:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
    just looking at some FT stats

Wilt averaged 11.4 attempts per game for his carrer
    moses malone 8.2
    the big O 8.8
    Jerry West 9.4
    Kobe 7.6
    Adrian Dantley 8.7
    AI 8.9
    Rose 4.8
    Wade 9.1
    LeBron 8.9
    McGrady 5.8 (toss out the last 4 seasons and he was at 6.5)

btw, Jordan....8.2 for his career...

as for your magical 30pts per game....

losts of players avg. +30 per season before Jordan.

all that said...i still think the nba refs are the worst

as for Garrnet being traded....it's not like he was traded for a box of rocks

July 31, 2007: Traded by the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Boston Celtics for Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 1st round draft pick (Wayne Ellington) and a 2009 1st round draft pick (Jonny Flynn).

same for Gasol
    February 1, 2008: Traded by the Memphis Grizzlies with a 2010 2nd round draft pick (Devin Ebanks) to the Los Angeles Lakers for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Marc Gasol, a 2008 1st round draft pick (Donte Greene) and a 2010 1st round draft pick (Greivis Vasquez).
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    81 wrote:

moses malone 8.2
    the big O 8.8
    Jerry West 9.4
    Kobe 7.6
    Adrian Dantley 8.7
    AI 8.9
    Rose 4.8
    Wade 9.1
    LeBron 8.9

July 31, 2007: Traded by the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Boston Celtics for Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 1st round draft pick (Wayne Ellington) and a 2009 1st round draft pick (Jonny Flynn).

same for Gasol
    February 1, 2008: Traded by the Memphis Grizzlies with a 2010 2nd round draft pick (Devin Ebanks) to the Los Angeles Lakers for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Marc Gasol, a 2008 1st round draft pick (Donte Greene) and a 2010 1st round draft pick (Greivis Vasquez).
    The 2006 Finals boosted Wade's FT stats way up.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    :lol:

all the stats i posted were regular season.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

same for Gasol

yeah ... at least you can use rocks to prop doors open ...
  • Newch91 wrote:

What an absolute joke that series was. I remember the constant image of Wade laying on the floor crying begging for the foul and usually getting it. Should have been the Mavs 2nd title last year.
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:

same for Gasol

yeah ... at least you can use rocks to prop doors open ...

are you saying all the other players are chumps?

Jefferson is solid plus two first round picks

and Marc is developing into a solid player plus two first round picks

i didn't go so far as to dig up contract status at time of trade....that always plays a part as well.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Newch91 wrote:

What an absolute joke that series was. I remember the constant image of Wade laying on the floor crying begging for the foul and usually getting it. Should have been the Mavs 2nd title last year.
    It was beyond horrible that series. That series was the biggest joke ever.

It was great this year that the Mavs' first title came against the Heat, after the refs gave them the title in 2006.

I love this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKxxsDuDas
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    81 wrote:

all the stats i posted were regular season.

Here's him bitching about not getting a foul. The announcer says it right: Where's the foul?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFA5vSjv ... re=related

And this is why he has a high FT state:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySGUzzx ... re=related
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Jefferson gets better each year. While he has some things he certainly could improve, watching him last season... he can be a consistent scorer and rebounder. He put up some very acceptable stats being in Utah last season. If the rumors are true that he's more conditioned, and has been working on his defense in the off-season... he should be even more valuable to his team whenever it is he gets back on the court.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    81 wrote:

i didn't go so far as to dig up contract status at time of trade....that always plays a part as well.

sure ... jefferson and gasol are decent ... but not so decent that jefferson's gone from minny ... that's a lot of salary for what amounts to be mostly garbage ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:

sure ... jefferson and gasol are decent ... but not so decent that jefferson's gone from minny ... that's a lot of salary for what amounts to be mostly garbage ...

Jefferson is a solid player. scores 15.9 per game for his career and 8.8 boards. then you toss in the 6th overall pick in 2009 (plus all the other stuff in that deal)...

in kevin, the celtics guy a guy who averages 19.5 and 10.7

seems like MN got the better end of the deal.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Jefferson is a solid player. scores 15.9 per game for his career and 8.8 boards. then you toss in the 6th overall pick in 2009 (plus all the other stuff in that deal)...

you can't just look at stats ... imo - you trade a franchise guy ... you need to get one back ... if jefferson was the man - why did minny trade him? ... and flynn may not even be the starting pg if and when play resumes ... he couldn't even start for a last place team ...

edit: and it should be noted that both teams when they made that trade were in about the same position ... the celts have a ring and been contenders since ... the wolves not so much ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:

you can't just look at stats ... imo - you trade a franchise guy ... you need to get one back ... if jefferson was the man - why did minny trade him? ... and flynn may not even be the starting pg if and when play resumes ... he couldn't even start for a last place team ...

Flynn was a bad draft pick..no doubt....looking back, that was a pretty weak class...but in the case of Flynn, you have to look at the pick and not the player when you analyze the trade. with the 6th pick of the first round, you expect to get a starter that can turn into an allstar or more.

we can agree to disagree, but at the end of the day, KG wanted out of MN and only had two years left on his deal.

i think MN mopped up on the transaction, but being MN, fucked up with the draft and FA, much like they did in KG's tenure with the franchise.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Flynn was a bad draft pick..no doubt....looking back, that was a pretty weak class...but in the case of Flynn, you have to look at the pick and not the player when you analyze the trade. with the 6th pick of the first round, you expect to get a starter that can turn into an allstar or more.

we can agree to disagree, but at the end of the day, KG wanted out of MN and only had two years left on his deal.

i think MN mopped up on the transaction, but being MN, fucked up with the draft and FA, much like they did in KG's tenure with the franchise.

soo ... they fucked up the draft and FA ... but they won the trade? ... the draft class was indeed weak but that is likely why boston was willing to give minny their pick back ... and of that draft class ... only blake griffin is gonna be a perennial all star ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:

soo ... they fucked up the draft and FA ... but they won the trade? ... the draft class was indeed weak but that is likely why boston was willing to give minny their pick back ... and of that draft class ... only blake griffin is gonna be a perennial all star ...

do you think KG would have resigned with MN when his contract was up after the 2009 season?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    do you think KG would have resigned with MN when his contract was up after the 2009 season?

is the discussion whether or not minny got the best deal available or whether they won the trade? ... hard to know what other gms were offering for kg ... all i know is minny made the playoffs for like 7 or 8 seasons in a row with kg ... granted not in the last few years there but their record has gotten increasingly worse since that trade ... so, not sure how you can say they won that trade ...

edit: fix quote
    polaris_x wrote:
    81 wrote:

is the discussion whether or not minny got the best deal available or whether they won the trade? ... hard to know what other gms were offering for kg ... all i know is minny made the playoffs for like 7 or 8 seasons in a row with kg ... granted not in the last few years there but their record has gotten increasingly worse since that trade ... so, not sure how you can say they won that trade ...

edit: fix quote

i guess at the end of the day, it's a little bit of both. i believe they got more than two years worth of KG value back in the deal. you can say Jefferson isn't the star that KG was, and that the weak draft class resulted in diminished returns. remember, trade was done in 2007 and the draft pic was in 2009....yeah, boston might have thought the class would be weak, but you don't know for sure until it rolls around. you can't predict who is going to explode over those two years and who is going to come out early.

imo, you look at the KG trade in 2007, i believe MN made out like a bandit. if you look back on it today, you can make a case for Boston.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i guess at the end of the day, it's a little bit of both. i believe they got more than two years worth of KG value back in the deal. you can say Jefferson isn't the star that KG was, and that the weak draft class resulted in diminished returns. remember, trade was done in 2007 and the draft pic was in 2009....yeah, boston might have thought the class would be weak, but you don't know for sure until it rolls around. you can't predict who is going to explode over those two years and who is going to come out early.

imo, you look at the KG trade in 2007, i believe MN made out like a bandit. if you look back on it today, you can make a case for Boston.

well ... there is absolutely no way you can say boston didn't win on that deal ... from like second last to a ring, nba finals, conference semifinals twice ... the question is did minny win?

the fact that there record is way worse than it was prior to the trade tells me no ... but, maybe that was the best deal they could get in which case ... maybe ... i dunno ... i could speculate on what they could have done if he walked at the end of 2009 with the cap room ... not a big stretch to say 2010 season would have been better than a .207 winning percentage ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    a .207 winning percentage ...

yeah, they might have got to .390 or maybe even .402 (MN winning % in KG's last two seasons)

anyways....can we agree MN mgmt stinks. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    who let dave checketts on the radio? :lol::lol:

https://twitter.com/#!/RicBucher/status ... 7365698560
    81 wrote:

moses malone 8.2
    the big O 8.8
    Jerry West 9.4
    Kobe 7.6
    Adrian Dantley 8.7
    AI 8.9
    Rose 4.8
    Wade 9.1
    LeBron 8.9

same for Gasol

Obviously you didn't follow the NBA like I did at the time. Teams were offering the house for Pau Gasol but they refused to trade him, then Memphis GM Jerry West (former Laker player and GM who is a true diehard Laker) said yes to a Kwame Brown deal which sent one of the best 7 footers in the league to the Lakers :lol: . Guess who sent Kevin Garnett to the Celtics........Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale :lol: . Believe me it was rigged.

All the people you speak of scoring 30 a game probably shot a good percentage from the field. Iverson, McGrady and the rapist shot what...between 38 and 44 percent from the field. Yeah the league tried to make those guys Jordan. Even changed the rules on hand checking so you couldn't gaurd them. The league sucks now, it should go under and they should start up a new one. It's been ruined.
    that's fine....don't watch it then
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    that's fine....don't watch it then

Kings vs The Fakeshow
    May 31, 2002
    Game 6 Western Conference Finals

Wikipedia
    In Game 6, O'Neal scored 41 points and had 17 rebounds. Many calls went against the Kings, fouling out all of their centers for the game. The Lakers went on to win narrowly setting the stage for game seven in Sacramento, with the winner advancing to the NBA Finals. Bryant added 31 points in support. There are allegations that this sixth game was affected by the referees in relationship to the Tim Donaghy scandal. The Lakers shot 40 free throws overall, a whopping 27 in the fourth quarter alone, and the Kings' big men were plagued with foul trouble (Divac, Webber, Scot Pollard, and Lawrence Funderburke were called for 20 fouls, Divac and Pollard both fouling out).

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I should have stopped watching here but was stupid...THAT IS until the Pau for Kwame trade......haven't watched an NBA game since. Very glad to see them not playing with this work stoppage. What makes me smile is the entire league lost to Jordan when he played, now he is defeating the entire league of players again by being the hardline owner :lol:

Anyway sorry to disrupt the thread, I'll go quietly now. Carry on.