The 2013-14 NBA season

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    so who wins? 72 win bulls team or this years heat team?

Obviously the Bulls. And while I love the 90's Bulls, it's worth noting that the competition in 1996 isn't near what it is right now so I doubt Miami will ever really challenge that 72 win record even with the Big Three.

And while I think Pip's comments this morning were kinda dumb....in a few years....I think the Lebron/Wade vs MJ/Pip is gonna swing the Heat's way for this reason: All four guys are great defenders and scorers. But if Lebron is off, Wade can take over a game (and vice-versa). But when MJ was off, Pippen rarely "took over". That's not to say that he never did...but not very often and hardly ever in big games.
    Both great points to the argument.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    the '67 or '83 sixers would defeat both of them.
    www.myspace.com

I showed my girlfriend a clip of Dr. J's unreal layup the other day. You know the one, where he basically defied gravity and swooped his arm up, and then down and around the backboard against the Lakers.

Yeah, even she was impressed...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

I showed my girlfriend a clip of Dr. J's unreal layup the other day. You know the one, where he basically defied gravity and swooped his arm up, and then down and around the backboard against the Lakers.

yeah. the nba's running a promo of that with doc and that talking basketball. i actually like those spots. anytime a sport pays homage to their history, i'm on board with it.
    www.myspace.com
    dcfaithful wrote:

yeah. the nba's running a promo of that with doc and that talking basketball. i actually like those spots. anytime a sport pays homage to their history, i'm on board with it.

That was actually the clip I showed, or at least asked her to pay attention to while it was on TV. I like those spots too. I really like the one with Magic, adn then the one showcasing Fisher's 0.4 shot.

I was rewinding that Dr. J one for about 10 minutes just geeking out on how awesome it was. Yes, I had been drinking.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,842
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yeah I like those commercials too. This is the best one I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sObZbBBJL0o
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Completely off topic, but I jsut learned recently that MJ's iconic Jordans...these:

http://www.michaeljordansworld.com/airj ... dan_01.jpg

were banned at first?

I wasn't around when Jordan broke into the league... was he criticized as much as LeBron and Kobe in his early career?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Completely off topic, but I jsut learned recently that MJ's iconic Jordans...these:

http://www.michaeljordansworld.com/airj ... dan_01.jpg

were banned at first?

I wasn't around when Jordan broke into the league... was he criticized as much as LeBron and Kobe in his early career?

no. less media back then. and he appeared more likable than those two (though that could be because the media hid a lot of his off court flaws).
    www.myspace.com
    dcfaithful wrote:

Sort of. He was criticized for being a bit of a ball-hog and for being a "scorer" and not a "winner".

Bill Simmons in his "Book of Basketball" makes a good point when he says that the world (and by "world" he seems to mean "the internet") is way more cynical now then it was in the 90's and if MJ came along 10 years later, he'd probably be subject to the type of hatred that Kobe and Lebron receive. Jordan had some detractors...but Kobe and Lebron have straight-up haters.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Sort of. He was criticized for being a bit of a ball-hog and for being a "scorer" and not a "winner".

Bill Simmons in his "Book of Basketball" makes a good point when he says that the world (and by "world" he seems to mean "the internet") is way more cynical now then it was in the 90's and if MJ came along 10 years later, he'd probably be subject to the type of hatred that Kobe and Lebron receive. Jordan had some detractors...but Kobe and Lebron have straight-up haters.

Thus being why I miss the NBA of the 90's. That's what I remember growing up. It was great.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    always good to hear from coattails pippen :lol::lol::lol:
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    He said that LBJ 'could' or 'might' (I don't have the direct quote) be better than Jordan.
    He's not saying that he definetely is. I can't argue that LBJ COULD be better.
    So he doesn't have that killer instinct as MJ. His career isn't over yet.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    LeBron is a better pure athlete than Jordan. But as a basketball player he isn't there yet. If the Heat win a couple of championships in the next few years, then the comparison becomes much tougher. I don't think it's fair to expect LeBron to match Jordan's number of championships; as someone already said, there seems to be more parity now, and there's arguably more star players in the league now than there were during the Bulls' dynasty. If LeBron could win and be the leader of a couple championship teams then he might be seen as Jordan's equal. Or not, due to the more in-your-face, cynical nature of media nowadays. But you never know.

And I think the "leader" thing is very important; Jordan is unquestionably the best leader that ever played in the NBA. Prior to this season I would have told you that the Heat is easily Wade's team and that LeBron is going to have to learn how to play second fiddle. But I think LeBron has sort of taken over the reins, so to speak. I wouldn't call him the de facto leader yet, but it seems that the team responds more to what he does than Wade.

Another interesting thing to think about is how Wade is going to be viewed if he wins a few more championships.
  • -decodified--decodified- Posts: 2,686
    found this and I think says everything:

"My thought is this: game 7, you're down 1 with 20 sec. left, who would Pippen give the ball to?

MJ or LBJ?

MJ-6 LBJ-0

and just few seconds ago, Pippen change a little bit his comment:

@ScottiePippen twitter
    Don't get me wrong, MJ was and is the greatest. But LeBron could by all means get to his level someday.
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • -decodified--decodified- Posts: 2,686
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    people shouldn't compare anyone to jordan. ever. frankly, those comps are old and lazy.

I like lebron and I think he's had a great playoff, but I'm not even sold that he's the best player on his own team. Wade is incredible too. The couple of blocks he had in game 4 were ridiculous.

The heat are going to destroy the mavs. dirk is gonna have to score 50 a game to keep them in it.
    I feel like the series is going to go at least six games. Likely with Miami winning, although I'm rooting for Dallas.

I think Dallas has got too much pride (and swagger right now) to allow themselves to get blown out.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    tcaporale wrote:
    I feel like the series is going to go at least six games. Likely with Miami winning, although I'm rooting for Dallas.

I think Dallas has got too much pride (and swagger right now) to allow themselves to get blown out.

I want miami to win just to make a further mockery of the awful NBA. Collusion...it's FANNNTASTIC!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

that's interesting....the stat on age of first (potential first) title is a little misleading. Jordan played 3 years of college while lebron came right out of high school.

i'd also like to see blocks and steals tossed in their.

either way, both are great players, no doubt....but being the bulls fan that i am, i'd take jordan.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I'd take Jordan even if the only noteworthy thing he ever did was Space Jam.

Loved that movie as a kid.
    tcaporale wrote:
    I'd take Jordan even if the only noteworthy thing he ever did was Space Jam.

Loved that movie as a kid.

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Here's what I think Pippen was trying to say: Jordan's the best scorer of all-time. That's indisputable because he's the all-time leader in PPG (tied with Wilt) and he was only a guard. But I think it is arguable that Jordan isn't the best all-around player of all-time. I, for one, would argue that he is. But you can make good arguments for Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and someday, Lebron as well. I think that's where Pip was trying to go with it. But he worded it oddly and it sounded like he was saying that Lebron (not Michael) makes his teammates better when in fact Scottie is living proof that Michael does as well.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the bulls lacked the veteran mental toughness to win in the playoffs ... the mavs should have that ... heat with homecourt might be the difference tho ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    the bulls lacked the veteran mental toughness to win in the playoffs ... the mavs should have that ... heat with homecourt might be the difference tho ...

go mavs :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I will be in Vegas this weekend---TELL ME A BET TO MAKE!! :D

i have no idea!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:

i have no idea!

Take the Angles, Cardinals and Phillies on sat.

I like the Rangers on sunday.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    polaris_x wrote:

go mavs :mrgreen:
    Good man.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    81 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

i have no idea!

Thanks....but what about the NBA championship? Mavs in 7?
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    Newch91 wrote:
    Please let the Mavs win this series
    Wow. Fenway and I agreeing on a team to win.

I live in a household of HEAT fans....I'll say this much...I'll take a Heat championship IF the BRUINS can take the Stanley Cup.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Lizard wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

i have no idea!

Thanks....but what about the NBA championship? Mavs in 7?

I'll be rooting for the Mavs, but if i had to wager, i'd take the Heat.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg