NHL 2011 PLAYOFFS

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    haffajappa wrote:
    Why were the fans booing when that guy was presenting the trophies?
    The boos were not as loud after he stopped talking.
    gary bettman.
    ...lol i dont know where to start.
    NO ONE likes him.

I just wikipedia'd him lol.
    The head honchos of any league are not popular, even here in Australia :lol:

On a side note, that beard growing things with the NHL is cool lol.
    I wish we got hockey on free to air TV here.
    There is a high interest in the sport here, one of my friends is mad on it.
    I had to watch the game on net stream.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    basically people hate bettman for 2 reasons

1. moving teams from canada to the southern us
    2. having not 1 but 2 lockouts and thusly killing the sport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bettm ... mmissioner

the above link will give you an idea as to why hockey purist hate bettman
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,687
    Congrats to the Bruins on their Cup win (even though I wanted them to lose) Damm Kaberle wins a cup, boooo :twisted:
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    metsfan wrote:
    basically people hate bettman for 2 reasons

1. moving teams from canada to the southern us
    2. having not 1 but 2 lockouts and thusly killing the sport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bettm ... mmissioner

the above link will give you an idea as to why hockey purist hate bettman

Does not seem right to me that there are only 6 Canadian teams when it is a Canadian sport.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Tough pill for Vancouver to swallow congrats to both teams and their fans, but not to the NHL, I think your championship series should be a way to try to hook the casual fan, imo, I doubt this championship series would have hooked the casual fan. The way I see it Vancouver didn't change once the playoffs started, but the league and the way the games were officiated did. Whatever happen to the league that said post lock out the games are going to be called the same way in the regular season and the playoffs.

Unfortunately Vancouver your stuck with LU for 10 more years...send him to the AHL.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    That was AWESOME when Gary Bettman got booed! I loved how the Vancouver crowd made it quite clear they were not booing Thomas or Boston ... man was he pissed!

I had a few friends that are casual fans and didn't understand what was going on at first. My one buddy said it reminded him of a WWF heal from the late 90's working the crowd up in a Wrestlemania event ... I was waiting for Jeremy Roenick to come out from the tunnel and cold-cock Bettman with a folding chair and then announce to the crowd that he was the new NHL commissioner while White Snake blared in the background. :mrgreen:

Suck it, Bettman!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Congrats to the Bruins on their Cup win (even though I wanted them to lose) Damm Kaberle wins a cup, boooo :twisted:

i'm happy for kaberle ... not like he asked to be traded ... we got a nice pick from that trade ...
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Congrats Boston... the Bruins played great at the right time of the season, and Tim Thomas is a god. Brad Marchand is going to thorn in the side of teams for many years to come. Kid is annoying, but he's a player.

I'm a Pens fan and still have a soft spot for Mark Recchi... man, what a career for a guy who was once though of as "too small" to play in the NHL... he had that rush coming down the right wing and he was skating like a 19 year old. You'll be missed Recchin' Ball...

I'm embarrassed for the "normal" people in Vancouver and rational thinking Canuck fans. Starting with the idiots throwing crap on the ice during the trophy presentations/celebrations, and then obviously the rioting crap. Some classless assholes in the bunch.

Oh, and someone needs to hurt Jannik Hansen... what a gutless punk...

I know Luongo will get most of the blame in the media, but they should put pictures of the Sedins on milk cartoons... Someone should start looking for the invisible Swedes.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I'm embarrassed for the "normal" people in Vancouver and rational thinking Canuck fans. Starting with the idiots throwing crap on the ice during the trophy presentations/celebrations, and then obviously the rioting crap. Some classless assholes in the bunch.
    yeah, everyone is embarassed this morning.
    as for things thrown on the ice... not cool, but i'm pretty sure they werethrowing it at bettman.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Jason P wrote:
    That was AWESOME when Gary Bettman got booed! I loved how the Vancouver crowd made it quite clear they were not booing Thomas or Boston ... man was he pissed!

I had a few friends that are casual fans and didn't understand what was going on at first. My one buddy said it reminded him of a WWF heal from the late 90's working the crowd up in a Wrestlemania event ... I was waiting for Jeremy Roenick to come out from the tunnel and cold-cock Bettman with a folding chair and then announce to the crowd that he was the new NHL commissioner while White Snake blared in the background. :mrgreen:

Suck it, Bettman!

This might be opening up a can of worms here, but I do think that Bettman gets a bad rap. The League is as financially stable as it has been in long time, and the lockout is ending up being the best thing to happen to the league. The salary cap and new rules have done wonders for the sport.

Some of the relocation/expansion has been bad, but most of it has been more successful than not (on the ice and off).

I know the Canadians are pissed because he didn't fight to keep Quebec City & Winnipeg, but he didn't fight to keep Minnesota & Hartford either... in those days it was purely a dollars and cents thing, with big money lining up to take teams that were struggling or had ownership problems.

I do wish he would let go of the Phoenix dream though... That franchise could have made it, they started out with some success and some marquee named players, but the terrible move to Glendale, the lockout and the ownership mess killed anything they had going right.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Yeah, I was raised in a hockey family ... the e-mail that greeted me this morning ...
    THEY DID IT--DO YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THOSE LITTLE SHITS DID IT!!!!!! THE BRUINS JUST GOT HOME AND IT WAS FUN TO WATCH. NOT SURE WHEN THE PARADE IS BUT SOON. TAKE CARE AND WILL WRITE SOON--LOVE YEH KIDDO--
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    8-)8-);)

loyalty2-1.jpg
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    jimed14 wrote:
    Yeah, I was raised in a hockey family ... the e-mail that greeted me this morning ...
    THEY DID IT--DO YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THOSE LITTLE SHITS DID IT!!!!!! THE BRUINS JUST GOT HOME AND IT WAS FUN TO WATCH. NOT SURE WHEN THE PARADE IS BUT SOON. TAKE CARE AND WILL WRITE SOON--LOVE YEH KIDDO--
    :lol: Cheers buddy!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    8-)8-);)

loyalty2-1.jpg
    lol!
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Let's go Oilers!
    Please see above.
    Approximately 126 sleeps
    'til a new season begins!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    Let's go Oilers!
    Please see above.
    Approximately 126 sleeps
    'til a new season begins!
    Cheers.
    i'll need a lot more sleeps than that to recover from this playoff run!
    GO CANUCKS! :D
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    polaris_x wrote:
    BLACK35 wrote:

i'm happy for kaberle ... not like he asked to be traded ... we got a nice pick from that trade ...

same here. as a leafs fan, i was happy to see him win the cup. kaberle was one of my favourite players on the leafs and no one deserved that win more than him.

congrats boston and congrats kaberle
  • Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    Congrats Boston... the Bruins played great at the right time of the season, and Tim Thomas is a god. Brad Marchand is going to thorn in the side of teams for many years to come. Kid is annoying, but he's a player.

I'm a Pens fan and still have a soft spot for Mark Recchi... man, what a career for a guy who was once though of as "too small" to play in the NHL... he had that rush coming down the right wing and he was skating like a 19 year old. You'll be missed Recchin' Ball...

Oh, and someone needs to hurt Jannik Hansen... what a gutless punk...

I know Luongo will get most of the blame in the media, but they should put pictures of the Sedins on milk cartoons... Someone should start looking for the invisible Swedes.

Rex is a class act and it is a shame he is leaving. Nice way to leave though going out on top. That rush he had was great too bad he was unable to finish that would have been something
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

for the same reason we have people yelling out stupid things at eddie solo concerts ... lots of aholes think they can do whatever they want and think they are cool for doing it ... but really they aren't ...

unfortunately, those hosers hang around other douchebags and the cycle doesn't really end ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    when in doubt, bust shit up.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bruins not likely to change very much

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=c ... re-7171545

Read this story and must say I'm very impressed with your GM and the job he did building this team :clap::clap:.

I really expect Boston to be around and possibly repeat next year...a young team who had a number 2 overall pick last year, the ninth pick this year.

I am not a Boston fan...I think your GM deserve's executive of the year or whatever they call it.

This made me laugh :lol::lol::lol:

Red Wings could give Jaromir Jagr a shot, if the price is right

http://www.freep.com/article/20110617/S ... ext|Sports

I can see a Boston vs Canuck repeat finals next year as well.

Congrats to the Bruins fans here...looks like you'll have many more years of success.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:
    Only, and I mean ONLY, if he has the mullet with him! Without the mullet, he is of no use to us.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Only, and I mean ONLY, if he has the mullet with him! Without the mullet, he is of no use to us.

I quote Don Cherry..

mario-lemieux-jaromir-jagr-5-september-2010.jpg

"Hey, there's Mario and his sister Jaromir"
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I quote Don Cherry..

mario-lemieux-jaromir-jagr-5-september-2010.jpg

"Hey, there's Mario and his sister Jaromir"
    :lol::lol::lol:

Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    hahaha!
    i'm sure its written in the fine print
    haffajappa wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    hahaha!
    i'm sure its written in the fine print
    Tomas Holmstrom could teach Jagr to work the front of the net ... his secret weapon would be to keep his helmet loose so it gets knocked off easily and then BLAMMO ... a giant sea of mullet! Aint no goalie going to be able to see past that! :mrgreen:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Fogrive me for calling out all of Canada for the riots in Vancouver just the Canuckleheads who specifically came to the game to start trouble whether the Nucks won or lost.

Vancouver IS a beautiful city and a city FULL of LOVE even in the MIDST of chaos as seen below.....

http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/5/87/18 ... 50-366.jpg

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)