Options

EDDIE VEDDER ANNOUNCES 2011 US TOUR

Comments

• Options
    chaslil wrote:
    I am certainly curious why Red Rocks was omitted. He would sell well there. Even the Paramount theater would have been good. Denver is great rock and roll town, but only two 1 hour PJ shows supporting Tom Petty (in '06) since 2003.

There was a "Bu$hleager" controversy in the paper after '03 (poor and exaggerated reporting IMHO) and I wonder if we are paying for that still.

I was secretly hoping for Red Rocks too... :( Either for EV solo OR for PJ20 even though I know it wouldn't have been big enough for the latter. Not sure which one (if any) I'll try to hit, especially with the PJ show(s) yet to be announced. I've got family on both coasts... hmmm.
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • Options
    MahaloevMahaloev Posts: 305
    Born and raised in the great Northeast my entire life, I was always guaranteed a Pearl Jam show every year and solo tours for the last few. Now since moving out to the west, in the middle of the country to be exact, I'm realizing and feeling the pain/loss of shows as well. It kinda stings just a little knowing that I could be driving over the Ben Franklin in June, to the city of brotherly love and catching another EV solo show just minutes from where I grew up and lived. Sometimes making major changes are the hardest decisions we have to make in life. It was indeed well worth it. Still hurts knowing I won't be able to make it this time around...
    The Stars, the Snow, the Fire
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    For those going/hoping to go to the shows, even if you don't get tickets(and i hope you all do) keep your eyes out in bars n stuff in the towns on the off nights on the tour..Sometimes (often in fact) Glen does little impromptu gigs or just even a few songs here and there, never know where he'll show up or who he'd have with him.

Just to ease the burn if you get locked out. Best of luck scoring to all of you :)
  • Options
    The Bushnell in Hartford is a great little theater - very happily surprised to see it on the tour. Caught him in '09 at the Palace in Albany and at the very end he told security to let everyone up to the stage...
    Hope I get tix!!!
    Springfield, MA 1994
    Hartford, CT 1998
    Hartford, CT 2006
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Albany, NY 2009
    Hartford, CT 2010
    Hartford, CT 2011
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    Ah, looks like a great time......sadly no shot at Philly because of a wedding.

I hope if he continues to tour in the future, he will consider the Benedum in Pittsburgh:

http://www.pgharts.org/venues/benedum.aspx
    EV/PJ in Pittsburgh?! Never gonna happen, they avoid us like we are the south :P
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    gndcd402 wrote:

I hope if he continues to tour in the future, he will consider the Benedum in Pittsburgh:

EV/PJ in Pittsburgh?! Never gonna happen, they avoid us like we are the south :P

I'd avoid this guy as too if I were EV.
    ben-roethlisberger-drunk.jpg
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    About me: lifelong resident of the southern US & Ten Club member since 1997.

I would always drive within the region once a tour to see the band in the 90s/early 2000s. New Orleans (x2), Birmingham, Tampa, Memphis, Atlanta, West Palm Beach...In '04 I drove to Kissimmee. After that, I came to the realization that if I wanted to see a show every tour/every leg I would probably have to invest more money & travel further to do it. I have mostly chosen not to do it.

I love Pearl Jam. I keep my Ten Club membership current without much return on it (in my opinion), because I support them. They're making music that I enjoy, but they/their tour management are making decisions that work best for their business. In the same way, I make decisions w/ my dollars that are best for my finances.

Took my wife to her 1st PJ shows in NYC in 2008. Back-to-back nights. It was mind-blowing, but those are the only two PJ shows I've seen in 7 years. We live a full life, own a great house, travel to sporting events, concerts, beaches, and we save & spend as we see fit. If PJ won't play within our radius of travel, we'll keep seeing Wilco, Drive-by Truckers, Band of Horses, Ben Harper, Avett Brothers and other bands who will. It would be most welcome for PJ to tour through the region like they used to, but I can tell which way the wind blows and--guess what--it's not southeasterly from about, say, St. Louis.

I've been saving vacation time & money to be @PJ20. It'll be a good weekend, like a reunion or something. Before and after that event, we'll keep doing what we do. If our paths cross w/ PJ again, that'll be great. If not, it's just life. We choose. They choose. If our choices harmonize, that's a fun time.

No sense in getting bent out of shape. They do enough to hold my attention after 18-19 years. I'll give 'em enough rope to tour near (or mostly far) as they please. ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    rhinomagic wrote:

I would always drive within the region once a tour to see the band in the 90s/early 2000s. New Orleans (x2), Birmingham, Tampa, Memphis, Atlanta, West Palm Beach...In '04 I drove to Kissimmee. After that, I came to the realization that if I wanted to see a show every tour/every leg I would probably have to invest more money & travel further to do it. I have mostly chosen not to do it.

I love Pearl Jam. I keep my Ten Club membership current without much return on it (in my opinion), because I support them. They're making music that I enjoy, but they/their tour management are making decisions that work best for their business. In the same way, I make decisions w/ my dollars that are best for my finances.

Took my wife to her 1st PJ shows in NYC in 2008. Back-to-back nights. It was mind-blowing, but those are the only two PJ shows I've seen in 7 years. We live a full life, own a great house, travel to sporting events, concerts, beaches, and we save & spend as we see fit. If PJ won't play within our radius of travel, we'll keep seeing Wilco, Drive-by Truckers, Band of Horses, Ben Harper, Avett Brothers and other bands who will. It would be most welcome for PJ to tour through the region like they used to, but I can tell which way the wind blows and--guess what--it's not southeasterly from about, say, St. Louis.

I've been saving vacation time & money to be @PJ20. It'll be a good weekend, like a reunion or something. Before and after that event, we'll keep doing what we do. If our paths cross w/ PJ again, that'll be great. If not, it's just life. We choose. They choose. If our choices harmonize, that's a fun time.

No sense in getting bent out of shape. They do enough to hold my attention after 18-19 years. I'll give 'em enough rope to tour near (or mostly far) as they please. ;)

Well said! I agree 100%
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 372
    I agree with you guys - we just have to deal with it. I moved from NYC to FL six months ago....I'm SO sad that I'll miss an Ed solo show...I did see him in Newark NJ solo and it was the best concert experience of my life (I loved it even more than PJ shows)...this is life though. Buying a house and still trying to find a job will prevent me from traveling.
    Its good to be back!!
  • Options
    Fatal SmileFatal Smile Posts: 111
    rhinomagic wrote:

I agree 100% as well. To add - these guys are old enough (of course they wouldn't want to admit it) that they just don't feel they need to do 75 shows a year, like they may have 15 years ago, and tour the entire country, hitting all spots in between. We should respect their careers and should respect where they want to play. Be lucky that these guys are still together and thet they do really great things apart. We are all very lucky. It frustrates me to no end to see people think it is a "right" to have a PJ membership - and thet they should have a say on where the band should play. Guess what - it is a privilege!!

Peace and maybe I will see you at the Minneapolis show, can't wait. And we have the Black Keys on July 3rd, what a holiday weekend!!
    CARPE DIEM!!

"Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there but there's much more than this. Woh see the world."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"

"No need to be void, or save up on life. You got to spend it all"

Minneapolis 1998, St. Paul 2003, Alpine Valley 2003, Thunder Bay 2005, St. Paul 2006 I, St. Paul 2006 II, The Gorge I 2006, Hartford 2008, Mansfield I 2008, Mansfield II 2008, Chicago I 2009, EV Solo Minneapolis 2011, PJ 20 Alpine Valley I 2011, PJ 20 Alpine Valley II 2011, Wrigley 2013, Moline 2014, St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    TK57376TK57376 Posts: 3
    It's a intimate solo tour........dah! Ed will play where he wants and that's it. It's very clear we plays a majority of his gigs in Cali so he can get into the water as much as possible. Those of you who don't surf wouldn't understand nor do I expect you to. He likes the coasts, but other than the Cubbies there's no alure to the mid-west. Texas......seriously why bother. Do yourself favor and get out of the miserable humidity and see a show in the beautiful pacific northwest. Quit your whining and do something about it. :P
  • Options
    MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    gndcd402 wrote:

Philly and Detroit really aren't that far.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Options
    I am just as excited to see Glan Hansard as I am to see Eddie, can't wait for that night in Philly.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is all the talk about people "saving up for PJ20"? Were people just assuming PJ tour dates this year because of the 20th anniversary, or has something been announced that I've missed?
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    brianruss wrote:
    I am just as excited to see Glan Hansard as I am to see Eddie, can't wait for that night in Philly.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is all the talk about people "saving up for PJ20"? Were people just assuming PJ tour dates this year because of the 20th anniversary, or has something been announced that I've missed?

there is supposed to be a PJ festival weekend, supposedly Labor Day weekend to honor the event. :D Where you been? :lol:
  • Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,240
    TK57376 wrote:
    It's a intimate solo tour........dah! Ed will play where he wants and that's it. It's very clear we plays a majority of his gigs in Cali so he can get into the water as much as possible. Those of you who don't surf wouldn't understand nor do I expect you to. He likes the coasts, but other than the Cubbies there's no alure to the mid-west. Texas......seriously why bother. Do yourself favor and get out of the miserable humidity and see a show in the beautiful pacific northwest. Quit your whining and do something about it. :P
    :thumbup: :clap::clap:
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    TK57376 wrote:
    :thumbup: :clap::clap:

I wish. If I had a couple grand to spare, I would do just that. :lol:
  • Options
    GS4566GS4566 Posts: 53
    edited March 2011
    For me in South Florida it is mostly jealously.

I have to travel to see Pearl Jam (other than 2004 and 2008) and it seems every U.S. tour announcement it is the same cities. I’ll leave NYC out of the debate since that is the center of the universe.

Since 2004 – 11 or 12 pearl jam related events in Chicago, Philly and Boston. Only 3 in Florida total.
    If you follow this thread, you will see people who are seeing Ed for the SECOND (i.e multiple) times because the tour came across the city a few years ago. I just wish we all had a chance. I’m jealous of them. I don’t blame them. I’d see PJ/EV anywhere they stop in Florida, anytime, any year. Period.

Plus, shows in Boston, Providence and Hartford. Hop, skip, jump. Someone, somewhere is going to three shows. I guarantee it.

I’m going to announce the 2012 summer tour here, right now – NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco. Although, I really hope for Miami, Tampa, Dallas, Denver and Phoenix (The Miami metro area is actually 700,000 more people than Boston and Dallas 800,000 people more). I know there are more PJ fans the Northeast cities, but we are just asking for one show (One Show!) every once in a while so we can cool our jealousies.

We were at the Tampa show in 2008 and thankful it happened. But when I read people going to see their second, third EV show, I can’t help but think the 2200 seat Ruth Eckerd Hall (or the 2600 seat Straz Center) in Tampa would make a nice once-in-a-lifetime stop. Among a few other theaters.
    Post edited by GS4566 on
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,744
    jamminmom wrote:
    Tower Theatre is practically in my backyard! Now just have to get my pair. :D

This thread sure is a lot of bitching & moaning. We have it good in Philly, primarily because every show sells out and the area is rabid with PJ fans. Even Tres Mtns got a decent crowd. But back in the 90s we couldn't buy a Pearl Jam show - we went, I think, about 6 years, and I was too poor to ever get tixx. So, I guess things go around & come around.
    Agreed neighbor!! Good luck getting tix-my stomach is hurting just thinking about it.

Especially with one show and Philly being the "southernmost" point of the tour (i.e. all the DC folks will want to come to Philly on a Saturday night). We will have to be on the ball and hope the website is cooperating.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    GS4566 wrote:

We were at the Tampa show in 2008 and thankful it happened. But when I read people going to see their second, third EV show, I can’t help but think the 2200 seat Ruth Eckerd Hall (or the 2600 seat Straz Center) in Tampa would make a nice once-in-a-lifetime stop. Among a few other theaters.

Ruth Eckerd Hall would be incredible. I was just thinking about that yesterday.
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    yay providence!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,645
    GS4566 wrote:

I have to travel to see Pearl Jam (other than 2004 and 2008) and it seems every U.S. tour announcement it is the same cities. I’ll leave NYC out of the debate since that is the center of the universe.

Since 2004 – 11 or 12 pearl jam related events in Chicago, Philly and Boston. Only 3 in Florida total.
    If you follow this thread, you will see people who are seeing Ed for the SECOND (i.e multiple) times because the tour came across the city a few years ago. I just wish we all had a chance. I’m jealous of them. I don’t blame them. I’d see PJ/EV anywhere they stop in Florida, anytime, any year. Period.

Plus, shows in Boston, Providence and Hartford. Hop, skip, jump. Someone, somewhere is going to three shows. I guarantee it.

I’m going to announce the 2012 summer tour here, right now – NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco. Although, I really hope for Miami, Tampa, Dallas, Denver and Phoenix (The Miami metro area is actually 700,000 more people than Boston and Dallas 800,000 people more). I know there are more PJ fans the Northeast cities, but we are just asking for one show (One Show!) every once in a while so we can cool our jealousies.

well said.

The reason they have more fans in the NE is because they play there so much more. when they were booked to play ACL there were a lot of people i know that had no clue they were still touring. it's their choice and i'm cool with that...i just wish they'd give us a reason or come out and say "we'll never play Texas again unless it's a festival that pays us a shit ton of money" that i would respect. collecting my membership fee every year without getting much in return is getting old.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,375
    What is the chance of purchasing tix's on TEN Club about 1 1/2 hours after the pre-sale starts for Tower Philly show..or should I try from a work computer?

ahhhhhh..been through this so many times over the years!!!
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    ComeToTX wrote:
    GS4566 wrote:

well said.

The reason they have more fans in the NE is because they play there so much more. when they were booked to play ACL there were a lot of people i know that had no clue they were still touring. it's their choice and i'm cool with that...i just wish they'd give us a reason or come out and say "we'll never play Texas again unless it's a festival that pays us a shit ton of money" that i would respect. collecting my membership fee every year without getting much in return is getting old.

That's true. $40 a year now, times however many years between shows, just add it to the plane tickets, hotel, rental car, food, etc if you are able to travel to ONE show somewhere far away! :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,532
    will uke songs be sold at the shows?
  • Options
    I wasn't expecting another Atlanta stop but it seems weird that he wouldn't swing through a few of the states in the south. You would think Charolette, Orlando, Miami, New Orleans, or Dallas would have gotten a date or two, especially considering this is a fairly large tour compared to recent EV/PJ outings. There could always be more dates, the ITW tour had those handfull of shows in 2009, almost a year after the original run. I'm actually happy he's not coming anywhere near me, I'm broke as a joke. My school district cut out raises and I was due for a huge one this year. I know they don't sell as many tickets down here and people are willing to come to them, so I don't blame them for not playing the south. Plenty of huge acts make their way to these parts-Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Jimmy Buffet, U2,DMB and Phish have played the ATL in the last few years and they're probably the biggest touring acts right now. I wish PJ could make it down here and play smaller places. We've got quite a few 5,000 to 10,000 seaters in Atlanta that would sell out in a heartbeat. They could still play the larger places here and get a bunch of people from the surrounding states to come.
  • Options
    GS4566GS4566 Posts: 53
    edited March 2011
    well said.

Thanks
    My only point really is that PJ/EV solo has played within 120 miles of 15 or 16(?) of the cities out of the 17 shows announced this tour since 2009/2010 alone. They have not come within 800! miles of my town since. That is almost 100 US shows (including Ed solo). That is why this thread has complaints.

Fans get excited when a performer comes to their hometown and they have been playing to the same hometowns (fans) for years now basically.

I'd like to see the next tour be a 'backwoods' tour where the challenge in booking is - don't play a place within 120 miles of a venue that has played since 2009. I could book it easy. Leg One - Missoula, Boise, Denver, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Dallas, Houston, OKCity. Leg Two - Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Charlottesville, Richmond, Charlotte, Tampa, Miami. BAM! - 16 sold out shows.

I love Pearl Jam and don't blame anybody. I remember living in upstate NY in 1996 and missed out on the 1995 tour. When 1996 was announced I was stoked. Hartford, New York. Awesome! They knew we were waiting. We are waiting again. Imagine in 1996 if they announced Chicago, San Diego, Denver and Casper again! After playing those cities in 1995. That is essentially what is happening.

I'm not bitchin, just explaining the vibe of the people who post here.
    Post edited by GS4566 on
  • Options
    lowlight1lowlight1 Posts: 273
    Gonnaa try for st louis
  • Options
    cifrancgxcifrancgx Columbus, OH USA Posts: 350
    brianruss wrote:

Basically PJ is planning a festival to be held “somewhere in the middle of the country” during the summer of 2011.

According to this article from earlier this month...

http://www.billboard.com/news/new-pearl ... =yahoomail

"As far as the Pearl Jam festival goes, Ament says that the band is looking to finalize the location and the other bands on the bill by the end of March and announce everything in April. "We've reached out to a few [other bands]. It's mostly people that we're friends with. I don't think that anybody's fully signed on yet. We're not 100% where we're going to have it yet, so it's a little bit tricky... If it's Labor Day, that's three or four months; that should be plenty of time for people to make reservations."

If you Google "pearl jam festival" you will see other articles about it.

So stay tuned for details. I am sure there will be a big announcement next month.

Also, check out this thread about the Festival here...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=145121
    George

Toledo, OH 1996 | Cuyahoga Falls, OH 1998 | Columbus, OH 2000,2003,2010 | Cleveland, OH 2003,2010 | Kitchener, London, Hamilton, ON 2005 | Pittsburgh 2013 | Cincinnati, OH 2006, 2014 | Lexington, KY 2016 | Indianapolis, IN 2023 (POSTPONED)
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I'm from the UK and I feel for all you Southerners. I don't know why PJ/Ed doesn't start (ie 1st leg) a tour in the south, I'm sure this way shows would sell out, as others from the rest of the country/world would fly in for them. It's a bit of a shame if the reason they don't play certain areas is due to slower sales, I just think they've gotta come up with a better strategy.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    GK52298GK52298 Posts: 6
    To dis a part of the world because of the bands warped political ideals is a sad stmt