Options

Bands you can't stand.

Comments

• Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    thefixer9 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I will admit it, Day and Age wasn't their best album, but Sam's Town was!!! One of my favorite albums of all time!! I will say though, A Dustland Fairytale from their latest album is their best song ever! :D
    I feel like, when listening to 'Sams Town'... Why don't I just listen to Born To Run?

Yeah but Sams Town is better!!!!
    Sam's Town better than Born To Run.

Really? I mean... Really? I could see you LIKING it better, but Born To Run is an absolute classic album for a reason, with the title track being arguably one of the best rock and roll songs of all time. Thunder Road? Jungleland? Born To Run is one of the great American musician's masterpiece, Sam's Town is a good album by a good band.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    This broad i know on Facebook slammed Eddie and pearl jam yesterday calling them shit (this was after the Ed tour announcement). I was blown away.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376

Really? I mean... Really? I could see you LIKING it better, but Born To Run is an absolute classic album for a reason, with the title track being arguably one of the best rock and roll songs of all time. Thunder Road? Jungleland? Born To Run is one of the great American musician's masterpiece, Sam's Town is a good album by a good band.

The boss is just boring to me, :twisted:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    thefixer9 wrote:

Check out his Hyde Park performance two years ago on YouTube. That DVD made me want to see him live.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    thefixer9 wrote:

Go see him live. Trust me on this one.

Though I'm not sure how anybody could find the song 'Born To Run' boring. I'm not trying to ride your ass hard on this, but I've just never heard anyone mentioning that.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    shadowcast wrote:
    Tokio Hotel :x
    Good call! I didn't even know anyone outside German speaking Europe knew of them...
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Newch91 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

Check out his Hyde Park performance two years ago on YouTube. That DVD made me want to see him live.

I was at that show, absolutely epic it was! How anyone could call it boring is beyond me, but each to their own I guess......
  • Options
    BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410
    MANKIND wrote:
    oh shit, where to start? lets see

lynard skynard
    david bowie
    reo speedwagon
    van halen
    poisen
    motley cru
    u2
    def leppard
    rhcp
    foo fighters
    nickleback
    puddle of mud
    shine down
    the white stripes

and probably a shit load more

One of the Pearl Jam guys (might have been McCready) said that Def Leppard is one of his all time favorite bands. He said he used to go to their concerts and try to meet the band backstage after shows. (It's in the 'Immagine in Cornice' documentary where he said this.)
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

• Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    thefixer9 wrote:

I was at that show, absolutely epic it was! How anyone could call it boring is beyond me, but each to their own I guess......
    Me too. I don't get much of a kick out of the albums but that Hyde Park performance was right up there with the best. And that Hyde Park crowd were better behaved than at the PJ show last year. :lol:
  • Options
    SavedFuckerSavedFucker Posts: 215
    Rush. That chick singer sucks.
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
  • Options
    bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
    If I ever meet anyone in the band that recorded "Play That Funky Music Whiteboy," they should fear for their personal safety. The most irritatingly shameless ripoff of Sly Stone's "Thank You Faletinme Be Mice Elf Agin" I've ever heard.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Rush. That chick singer sucks.

The chick singer Geddy Lee was in rare form last night. Opening night to their 2nd leg of their Time Machine World Tour. They were better than their last time here in South Florida 10+. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,264
    Michael Jackson -- I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything.

Britney Spears/Lady Gaga/ Katy Perry/ etc. Manufactured performance art does not equal music.

Motley Crue and their ilk. -- Call them hair bands, crotch rock, whatever. I came from a part of the country where they were inescapable. Oh, and Kid Rock.

The Black-Eyed Peas -- I HATE the Black-Eyed Peas!!! I call them "music for the semi-literate." I don't know how anybody can listen to that and not have their head explode.

Billy Joel -- loathe him.

"New country" -- I don't get it. My husband and I frequent a great sushi place that has some country song about drunk-dialing and/or booty calls playing on repeat -- It's a quarter to something and I'm drunk and I need some lovin'. Ugh.

I must be in a good mood, because that's all that's coming to mind. But I really, really hate the BEPs.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178

Britney Spears/Lady Gaga/ Katy Perry/ etc. Manufactured performance art does not equal music.

Motley Crue and their ilk. -- Call them hair bands, crotch rock, whatever. I came from a part of the country where they were inescapable. Oh, and Kid Rock.

The Black-Eyed Peas -- I HATE the Black-Eyed Peas!!! I call them "music for the semi-literate." I don't know how anybody can listen to that and not have their head explode.

"New country" -- I don't get it. My husband and I frequent a great sushi place that has some country song about drunk-dialing and/or booty calls playing on repeat -- It's a quarter to something and I'm drunk and I need some lovin'. Ugh.

I must be in a good mood, because that's all that's coming to mind. But I really, really hate the BEPs.

No let it out. Great post.
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    CTD10 wrote:
    So what bands out there do you just not like, or can't understand the hype.

Well for me Nickelback, of course. But one I really do not like is Coldplay. My girlfriend loves them and I just dont get it...such a boring band.

Another one is The Trews...they are from Canada.

As for classic rock..I never got into Pink floyd.

Dude... Animals... Dude...
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    I hate the fucking Eagles...

Mr Lewbowski
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    thefixer9 wrote:
    My Pandora stations have been playing a lot of Phoenix lately and I find myslef moving to the next song almost every time. And other than a song or two, I hate most of the Killers stuff.

YOU HATE THE KILLERS!!!! :( :( :( :(

Amazing what a dramatic decline that band took. Hot Fuss is one of my favorite albums of the decade. Sam's Town is just ok. Then that last album was pathetically awful.

I kinda agree with you here. Although I thought Sam's Town was fucking great, maybe even better than Hot Fuss. Day & Age was fucking terrible though...I'll agree with that.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Alice in Chains- I dunno what it is, but I could just never stand listening to these guys. Anytime one of their songs comes on the radio, I have to immediately change the station..
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    People are going to hate me for this...

The Beatles - I don't hate The Beatles. But they've never done much for me. I've listened to a LOT of their songs, and while they're agreeable enough they're just not that earth shaking for me. But most of what I can't stand about The Beatles is the fans...saying you HAVE to like them or you don't like music at all, you have to like them because they've influenced thousands of bands...I don't get that attitude. I don't have to like one band to appreciate others. I understand they've had a historical impact, and ARE influential - but I shouldn't have to love them just for that alone.

Most classic rock - Just can't get into most of it. I like a bunch of tunes from Zeppelin, and some Rush, but that's about it. I don't know why it doesn't do anything for me, maybe years of my dad beating it to death in the car, but it just doesn't. Sometimes I think if these bands recorded their music in this decade, exactly note for note only with more modern production, I would love it.

Nickelback/Shinedown/Three Doors Down/etc - Generic, boring, contrived, hard to tell apart, etc.

Scene/"Hardcore" music (Brokencyde, Blood on the Dancefloor/Attack Attack!, Asking Alexandria, etc) - Scene music is basically crossing lame scene kids with whiny, autotuned voices over the worst elements of metalcore and throwing random techno shit in - it makes me feel like I need to have ADD or just be amazingly shallow to like it. For "hardcore" music, it's essentially metalcore with a breakdown in every song and once again, random techno bits. Most of it is just terribly derivative, not even that bad, to the point where I can literally not tell them apart, and I can't understand why so many kids my age love these kinds of bands when they're a dime a hundred.

Radio pop - I.E. the likes of Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Rihanna, etc. They border from boring to outright annoying, and the lyrics are usually some of the worst I have ever heard. "Tick tock on the clock party till you can't stop"...it's bad. The radio doesn't help it either, most of it wouldn't bother me if not for being at work or in a store and being assaulted with it the whole time - hearing Katy Perry sing Teenage Dream 10 times a day will make you hate it, and fast. On this note, I actually do like Lady Gaga, she can write decent songs and play the piano well enough, but her act is what grates at me. If she dropped it and focused on the music, she'd be 1,000 times better.

God...I feel better now.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    After seeing another thread here.

Ben Harper
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Cream. Good musicianship does not redeem shit music.
  • Options
    bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439

Oh wow, dude....how are you on Blind Faith or Derek and the Dominos?
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    bennett13 wrote:

Blind Faith is better, but it's a pity there was an ego-clash and as a project it failed. Also, there are some tremendous jams on the Layla album which justified the double album format. But Cream just sounded a bit poncy to me with the Peter Brown wanky lyrics, the pseudo-operatic vocal harmonies and the uneven quality of the material. They grate on me. I love Jimi, by contrast, with a passion, but Cream's albums leave me cold.
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    BamaPJFan wrote:
    MANKIND wrote:

lynard skynard
    david bowie
    reo speedwagon
    van halen
    poisen
    motley cru
    u2
    def leppard
    rhcp
    foo fighters
    nickleback
    puddle of mud
    shine down
    the white stripes

and probably a shit load more

One of the Pearl Jam guys (might have been McCready) said that Def Leppard is one of his all time favorite bands. He said he used to go to their concerts and try to meet the band backstage after shows. (It's in the 'Immagine in Cornice' documentary where he said this.)

You should hear a BBC radio show few years ago where McCready mentioned his music tastes (not sure which band), and interviewer asked 'what about the people with good taste', whole band was there, everyone guffawed. :lol:
  • Options
    Fall Out Boy
    Kesha
    Creed (I love Alter Bridge however, I guess Scott Stapp is the defining factor of horrible music)
    Switchfoot
    Red
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    edited April 2011
    bennett13 wrote:

Blind Faith is better, but it's a pity there was an ego-clash and as a project it failed. Also, there are some tremendous jams on the Layla album which justified the double album format. But Cream just sounded a bit poncy to me with the Peter Brown wanky lyrics, the pseudo-operatic vocal harmonies and the uneven quality of the material. They grate on me. I love Jimi, by contrast, with a passion, but Cream's albums leave me cold.

Innnnnnnteresssting.

I love Cream. I guess I never gave a fuck about the lyrics so much.... it's rock music, so it's about the sound most of all. Because it's brash, and because it's ridiculous. But you know, I fucking love Rush too. If a band can jam like the world's gonna end tomorrow and make everyone around them look like chumps, I'm lovin it. But earthiness is good sometimes too.
    Post edited by kenny olav on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Actually all good music has to have some earthiness to it, because there are some bands that can really play, but they sound completely phony. Sometimes pretense can be a good thing, and it's hard to explain why, but there's a point where it just becomes too much.

Muse is a good example of a band that overdoes it. They have built a large following with many pointing to their live show as part of their greatness, and they do seem to perform their material well, but their material is fucking awful. There doesn't seem to be any point to their music except showing off their expertise at regurgitating the latest blend of the rock & roll formula. The singer dude is obviously ripping off Thom Yorke's style, but he has none of the depth. The guitar work is flashy without any feel. Seems like their allure has already begun to fade with the public. OK, enough picking on Muse.

Kings of Leon makes me laugh. The dude's singing is really silly. :lol:

Good thread. Just a few weeks ago I thought there should be a thread like this. I thought maybe it would be too bitchy, but it's good to get shit like this off your chest sometimes. :thumbup:
    Post edited by kenny olav on
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Amen
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options

I'm curious.... if you were forced to listen to one Cream song, which one would you pick? Is there a Cream song or two that you do like?

And your thoughts regarding Jimi's cover of Sunshine of Your Love?
  • Options
    MANKIND wrote:

the white stripes

:shock:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014