Options

Bands you can't stand.

Comments

• Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Newch91 wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Ok, let me give that a listen here...... :)

Tomorrow never knows
    Happiness is a warm gun
    I'm so tired
    Dr. Robert
    A day the life
    I've got a feeling
    Two of us
    I me mine
    Sexy Sadie
    I want you
    Strawberry Fields Forever

I buried Paul....
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Tomorrow never knows
    Happiness is a warm gun
    I'm so tired
    Dr. Robert
    A day the life
    I've got a feeling
    Two of us
    I me mine
    Sexy Sadie
    I want you
    Strawberry Fields Forever

I buried Paul....
    He's catching on! :D
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    This beatles thing is really blowing my mind.. they are one of my absolute favorites and I am just stunned to hear so many non-lovers!!! Can I send anybody some Beatles tracks they may convert them?

The second side of Abbey road
    the whole freaking White album
    Dig a pony
    across the universe

yeah...and i gotta agree with dewie cox on this one. if there is one band you just can't hate, it's the beatles. unless you don't like rock n roll. it's just hard for me to believe that there are people that are actually bothered by their music, but at the same time consider themselves fans of rock music. the beatles have influenced nearly all of the pop music that is out there these days in one way or another. to hate the beatles, when chances are, they are the very reason that some of your favorite artists ever picked up a guitar, just doesn't add up. maybe i'm overstating their importance, and i admit, they aren't my personal favorite band, but to hate them....well, i'd hate to see your record collection.

there is a beatles song/album for everyone.
  • Options
    This beatles thing is really blowing my mind.. they are one of my absolute favorites and I am just stunned to hear so many non-lovers!!! Can I send anybody some Beatles tracks they may convert them?

Dig a pony
    across the universe
    The White Album is one of those albums that bands and artists try to make but can't. This is bias of me, but I believe Led Zeppelin and Pearl Jam are two bands that made their White Album and achieved.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Newch91 wrote:

Dig a pony
    across the universe
    The White Album is one of those albums that bands and artists try to make but can't. This is bias of me, but I believe Led Zeppelin and Pearl Jam are two bands that made their White Album and achieved.
    Which albums would you say are their "white albums"?
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Dig a pony
    across the universe
    Which albums would you say are their "white albums"?
    Physical Graffiti and Vitalogy.
  • Options
    I follow your logic.. especially physical graffiti.. but honestly, I haven't even listened to Vitology in quite some time.. Or Vs. and Ten for that matter.. Is that wierd? I only dig from No Code on..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Lifted wrote:

Dig a pony
    across the universe

yeah...and i gotta agree with dewie cox on this one. if there is one band you just can't hate, it's the beatles. unless you don't like rock n roll. it's just hard for me to believe that there are people that are actually bothered by their music, but at the same time consider themselves fans of rock music. the beatles have influenced nearly all of the pop music that is out there these days in one way or another. to hate the beatles, when chances are, they are the very reason that some of your favorite artists ever picked up a guitar, just doesn't add up. maybe i'm overstating their importance, and i admit, they aren't my personal favorite band, but to hate them....well, i'd hate to see your record collection.

Hey they are people who can't stand Pearl Jam or RUSH. I don't really HATE the Beatles I just certainly believe they are given waaaaay toooooo much credit and overrated....my feelings and opinions. Like I said I do love them individually starting with George Harrison (very underrated), John Lennon, Paul, Ringo.

Together NO...Individuals....YES

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Lifted wrote:

Dig a pony
    across the universe

Hey they are people who can't stand Pearl Jam or RUSH. I don't really HATE the Beatles I just certainly believe they are given waaaaay toooooo much credit and overrated....my feelings and opinions. Like I said I do love them individually starting with George Harrison (very underrated), John Lennon, Paul, Ringo.

Peace
    With all do respect, Ringo on his own is like being lost in the woods :lol:
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539

Dig a pony
    across the universe

I'll have to check some of these out. I've never bought a Beatles album ever. I don't dislike them just never took the time to listen. Much bigger fan of Zeppelin and Floyd.
  • Options

Dig a pony
    across the universe

I'll have to check some of these out. I've never bought a Beatles album ever. I don't dislike them just never took the time to listen. Much bigger fan of Zeppelin and Floyd.
    My best advice is to start from the beginning. Just listen to the progression of them.
  • Options
    With all do respect, Ringo on his own is like being lost in the woods :lol:

Yes well I know that but I bet he doesn't know that. I had to list him mainly because he was in that band called the Beatles.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    EmBleve wrote:
    Sorry, not to intervene here, but I just noticed your screen name...have you read that book, '5 Against 1'?

I've read it. It's pretty good, but seems unfairly disparaging to Eddie. I also got the feeling the author doesn't really like Pearl Jam that much, and just wanted to make some $$$.

I thought it was pretty good, too...I didn't really get the sense though that the author didn't like them that much...didn't really think about it. Yes, it did seem disparaging to Eddie, although, I have read on a few other occasions that he is sometimes the more difficult one to deal with, so maybe there is some truth to it...I don't know (she definitely seemed to be on Dave Abbruzzeses' side, for one. :lol: )...I did wonder, though, if the band endorsed that book or reviewed it or 'signed off on it' or anything...
  • Options
    Lifted wrote:

Dig a pony
    across the universe

I'm sorry but statements like this really rile me. Why is such a prerequisite of life to like The Beatles? How can you suggest that people aren't fans of rock music just because they don't like them? That's pretty nonsensical. I don't hate them, I just don't like their music at all, it bores me, it's nothing special to me. I don't feel I need to justify my record collection as a result of this either.

Yes, they may have had a influence on a lot of bands, but nearly all of them? Doubtful. It's been over 40 years since they were making music - I would be worried if bands were not looking at more recent times for their influences, rather than all using the same one.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • Options
    Lifted wrote:

Dig a pony
    across the universe

I'm sorry but statements like this really rile me. Why is such a prerequisite of life to like The Beatles? How can you suggest that people aren't fans of rock music just because they don't like them? That's pretty nonsensical. I don't hate them, I just don't like their music at all, it bores me, it's nothing special to me. I don't feel I need to justify my record collection as a result of this either.

Yes, they may have had a influence on a lot of bands, but nearly all of them? Doubtful. It's been over 40 years since they were making music - I would be worried if bands were not looking at more recent times for their influences, rather than all using the same one.

I totally agree...it's almost like saying if you don't like RUSH or Pearl Jam you somehow don't know music. I DON'T like the Beatles as a band their music. it's NOT god awful I just think it's over rated and at times their music is so fricking SO. The thought process of NOT loving the Beatles and therefore NOT really liking rock music to me is simply nonsense.

Peace

• Options
    some people have no taste!! :lol:
    U2
    Oasis
    Red Hot
    come on ACDC??? really!!

I can not for the life of me deal with hearing Savage Garden BLURRRGGGH!
    OR Michael Bolton :roll:
    Sydney ♥ March 10, 1995
    Sydney ♥ March 11, 1995
    Melbourne ♥ November 20, 2009
    To be continued... March 25, 2011 EV Solo Yeeeeeeeew!
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Newch91 wrote:

Dig a pony
    across the universe

My best advice is to start from the beginning. Just listen to the progression of them.

I entirely disagree. For someone who never gave The Beatles much of a serious listen, starting at the beginning could really turn them off. I think these days a new fan, unless they are really young (like my nephew when he was 3...), starting at *least* at Rubber Soul or Revolver is the way to go. But I also think that if someone is posting on a PJ board (or any band's board really), they probably have particular musical interests that might help determine where a good starting point is. For example: the guy said he likes Floyd and Zep. Knowing that he also likes PJ, I would say that the best place for him to start would be anywhere between Sgt Peppers to Abbey Road. The later era stuff could be the hook/line/sinker. To delve into The Beatles, with his current tastes, and go straight for stuff like "Please Please Me" or "I Want To Hold Your Hand" has potential fail written all over it.

Just my $.02
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    It doesn't bother me that people don't like The Beatles. It was a different era and the songs were pretty poppy. There's a lot of Beatles stuff I like but a lot I find a bit limp. Each to their own.

But songforholly
    You mentioned Michael Bolton. I'm sure that must be against forum rules and must be worth a ban. :evil:
  • Options
    U feckin' 2 :evil:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Grunge100Grunge100 Posts: 178
    g under p wrote:
    Lifted wrote:

Dig a pony
    across the universe

Peace

I Agree, I do like harrison and paul without the Beatles. I really never liked the Beatles, but I dont hate them. They have a place in music history, but so do others....
    Light green to green, dark green, brown..
    Every life is falling down
    Brown to black, it's coming back
    Dies to be part of the ground
    Seed to seedling, root to stem
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I like some Foo Fighter songs, but I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes through one of their live DVDs due to Dave's constant need to scream and try to amp the crowd up. Found it really cheesy, even though I like what the guy stands for most of the time.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,496
    Forgot about one band, seeing another thread on it here:

SUBLIME

bleh! :mrgreen:

Hey everyone, let's get high and listen to Sublime - it'll be so awesome! :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019

Hey everyone, let's get high and listen to Sublime - it'll be so awesome! :roll:

:lol:
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    Lifted wrote:

Dig a pony
    across the universe

no need to get riled up. i never said you have to like the beatles. i just said i don't understand how you can hate them. there's a big difference. would you say you hate the beatles? doubt it. that's what this thread is about. "bands you can't stand". i can understand not feeling a connection to their music. or being bored with it. that's understandable. they haven't made music together in over 40 years...but to hate them is going a little far.................just my perspective. obviously the haters are gonna hate. but inside, i know they know they're full of shit.
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand??????????
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • Options
    The first and second side of Abbey road

fixed :D
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand??????????
    I was waiting for his response, too.
  • Options
    hockeygrrlhockeygrrl Posts: 141
    Ugh. I have a deep hatred for No Doubt. I don't mind Gwen Stefani on her own, and I think musically, the band is okay, but together...ARGH!! In "I'm Just A Girl" her voice sounds worse than nails on a chalkboard...more like minnie mouse huffing helium. Seriously, when I'm in a store and Spiderwebs or another crap song comes on, my ears try to revolt and leave my body. It's terrible. I've tried to get past it but I just cannot. It's almost a phobia. :thumbdown:
    <b>One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain</b> <i>~Bob Marley</i>
  • Options
    hockeygrrlhockeygrrl Posts: 141
    I'm actually sad to say that I don't care for the Beatles. This is a band that I WANT to like. I understand the historical significance and the influence that they had on music. I enjoy John Lennon's music, as well as his message, but when I listen to the Beatles, it does nothing for me. I was told that I might like some of the more trippy stuff, maybe I haven't heard it, but nothing has moved me. I don't hate them, I'm just not turned on by their music. :?
    <b>One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain</b> <i>~Bob Marley</i>