Bands you can't stand.

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    Beastie Boys are terrible.
    Like, absolutely painful to the ears.

That whole thing where every few syllables they all emphasize whatever word together is the lamest fucking thing ever to happen in music and they do it in almost every song. 
    Absolute shit music with no appeal outside makes who were adolescents at the time of their fame.
    rgambs said:
    ^
    Every time I hear the Beastie Boys I think of Who's Line is it Anyway when the white fuddy-duddy comedians try to rap.  Sometimes they are no worse than the Beastie Boys.
    Might I suggest The In Sound from Way Out compilation and The Mix-Up. You’ll barely hear any vocals, and you’ll get to experience one of our generation’s most underappreciated bass players driving some killer grooves.    

Your two posts basically make it sound like the only Beastie Boys music you’ve ever heard is Licensed to Ill and whatever got played on MTV/FM radio. 

They were all over the place musically—hell, they even made an unreleased country album as a joke/gift that musically sounds like an actual country album (lyrics are still pretty silly)—but what got airplay and sold records, of course, was the formula established early on with “Fight for Your Right to Party,” “Brass Monkey,” etc. 

If you can stomach some (nonrap) vocals after the instrumental stuff, this one is a goddamn masterpiece. 

https://youtu.be/teQqelBTw7g
    That stuff is so bad they lost the right to get into my brain.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    Arcade Fire. 
    Do not understand the appeal. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    I hate cancer
    i hate racist 
    i don’t hate any artist that put their art out for people to listen or not 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Guns n Roses
    Kiss
    Aerosmith
    fleetwood Mac 

Damn, dawg. Lol
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    Arcade Fire. 
    Do not understand the appeal. 
    bingo
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    AC/DC. I don't mind the Bon Scott era. But everything post BS just all sounds the same. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    I hate cancer
    i hate racist 
    i don’t hate any artist that put their art out for people to listen or not 
    I totally agree, Jose. 

Unless someone is being forced to listen to music they way the Malcolm McDowell character was forced to view images in the film version of "A Clockwork Orange", I don't understand the reason for the hate, let alone the dislike.   This is why I insist that there is no such thing as "bad" music.  Music does not do "bad" things.  You may not like it, I may not like it, but it's not "bad" and there's no reason to hate it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    well, to be fair, the title of the thread is "bands you can't stand" not "bad bands" or "bad music". I too don't judge people for their musical tastes. I used to be kind of a snob, but then I came to the realization that, why would I make fun of something or someone for something that makes them happy or inspires them? it just doesn't make sense. 

But I don't think it's horrible to talk about music we don't like. I actually find it interesting some of the submissions here. I, for one, often get crucified at work and in my personal life for saying I can't stand AC/DC. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,888
    The Beatles, though mostly John Lennon. I do recognize their immense influence on modern music, but I generally hate hearing their songs. I do like George.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    The Beatles, though mostly John Lennon. I do recognize their immense influence on modern music, but I generally hate hearing their songs. I do like George.
    a LOT of JL's solo stuff is utter trash. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    DMB
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited September 2019
    DMB
    +1 on that. I truly don't understand where the DMB fans are even coming from a lot of the time. DMB is just awful to me .... And is also not rock, but their fans seem to think they are for some reason. They love the band - I just don't get it.

I also think the Foo Fighters SUCK. Mostly unlistenable for me. I recognize that they are a likeable bunch as a group of people, but I think they are just as bad Nickelback when it comes to their music. Bad canned rock in my ears. I have even tried to listen to their "deep cuts" to try and figure out what I'm missing.... Turns out I'm missing absolutely nothing, haha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    well, to be fair, the title of the thread is "bands you can't stand" not "bad bands" or "bad music". I too don't judge people for their musical tastes. I used to be kind of a snob, but then I came to the realization that, why would I make fun of something or someone for something that makes them happy or inspires them? it just doesn't make sense. 

But I don't think it's horrible to talk about music we don't like. I actually find it interesting some of the submissions here. I, for one, often get crucified at work and in my personal life for saying I can't stand AC/DC. 
    Re the bolded, I can relate to that.  I'll admit there is music I can't stand- music that leaves me cringing or running out of the room.  But there's just so much good music to talk about- I guess I just don't have time for the rest.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited September 2019
    brianlux said:

Re the bolded, I can relate to that.  I'll admit there is music I can't stand- music that leaves me cringing or running out of the room.  But there's just so much good music to talk about- I guess I just don't have time for the rest.
    I agree with HFD - making fun of other music because you don't like it is kinda low, because obviously someone likes it. But I agree with you too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with just talking about how you don't like certain music. It is a part of the whole music fan experience: critiquing things is a valid activity. It's when it becomes mocking that it becomes lame. Like all the Nickelback memes... I hate those so much. And once you're actually mocking fans for having terrible taste, that is worse yet. Saying you don't get why people like something is one thing, but actually insulting them is another. 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

I agree with HFD - making fun of other music because you don't like it is kinda low, because obviously someone likes it. But I agree with you too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with just talking about how you don't like certain music. It is a part of the who music fan experience: critiquing things is a valid activity. It's when it becomes mocking that it becomes lame. Like all the Nickelback memes... I hate those so much. And once you're actually mocking fans for having terrible taste, that is worse yet. Saying you don't get why people like something is one thing, but actually insulting them is another.
    yeah, poor Nickleback!  I'm not a fan but if they make a lot of people happy, good for them and their fans.

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited September 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

I agree with HFD - making fun of other music because you don't like it is kinda low, because obviously someone likes it. But I agree with you too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with just talking about how you don't like certain music. It is a part of the who music fan experience: critiquing things is a valid activity. It's when it becomes mocking that it becomes lame. Like all the Nickelback memes... I hate those so much. And once you're actually mocking fans for having terrible taste, that is worse yet. Saying you don't get why people like something is one thing, but actually insulting them is another.
    yeah, poor Nickleback!  I'm not a fan but if they make a lot of people happy, good for them and their fans.
    My mom loves them! :smiley: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

I agree with HFD - making fun of other music because you don't like it is kinda low, because obviously someone likes it. But I agree with you too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with just talking about how you don't like certain music. It is a part of the whole music fan experience: critiquing things is a valid activity. It's when it becomes mocking that it becomes lame. Like all the Nickelback memes... I hate those so much. And once you're actually mocking fans for having terrible taste, that is worse yet. Saying you don't get why people like something is one thing, but actually insulting them is another. 
    i admittedly used to shame people for liking them. and other types of music (like hair metal). then i grew up. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629

I don't like any ACDC post BS either.  I think he was an amazingly diabolical singer.  

I don't like Oasis even a little bit.  Much to their dismay,  the Beatles they are not.  

• Options
    And Kiss... I respect how they changed the concert experience,  even though I don't like that experience,  but the music and lyrics are just too basic for me. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    And Kiss... I respect how they changed the concert experience,  even though I don't like that experience,  but the music and lyrics are just too basic for me. 
    i went to their reunion show in 97 when they redid the makeup thing. it was more like a circus than a concert. but cool to see nonetheless. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of their music, but I went to one of their shows, and it was an absolutely blast. The spectacle of it all - the pyrotechnics, the lights, the silly stage presentation, and the completely all-in fans are just plain fun. How the music sounded was irrelevant to me in the moment. I actually felt the same when I saw Phish in Chicago. The music isn't for me at all - total drag - but the crowd was so fun and friendly and into the experience that I didn't even really notice that I didn't like the music. I just watched the crowd the whole time and loved it.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    Beck - pure drivel in my eyes. i am convinced people only said they liked him because it was cool or something. never got it. never understood it.

• Options
    Tool
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,896
    Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Sleater Kinney, My Morning Jacket.  Off the top of my head
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    pjhawks said:
    Beck - pure drivel in my eyes. i am convinced people only said they liked him because it was cool or something. never got it. never understood it.

Listen to Sea Change or Morning Phase on vinyl 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

No doubt. Beck is amazing.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

No doubt. Beck is amazing.
    I love Guero.
  • Options
    Beck was amazing through Sea Change. Diminishing returns since. 
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    KISS   

I have never gotten it.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    pjhawks said:

You have to see him live to get it.