Options

Bands you can't stand.

Comments

• Options
    Aerosmith, Kings of Leon, Avenged Sevenfold, Journey, any hair metal band (especially Poison), Kid Rock, Nickelback, Motley Crue, Kiss...for starters.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    certain "artists" need not be mentioned in this thread. we get it, no one on this board likes nickleback, creed or any other grunge rip-offs or nu-metal acts. pretty sure no one likes teen pop (miley cyrus/jonas brothers) either. and do we really need to point out the fact that bands like journey are kind of lame? just sayin....how about posting something we don't know...
  • Options
    Primus
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I'm surprised Bon Jovi hasn't been mentioned, hard for me to outright dispise a band but BJ takes the cake. I do like their song Wanted Dead Or Alive.

Coldplay
    Kings of Leon

Not surprised RUSH made it in here, Kool. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Arocker28Arocker28 Posts: 60
    I cannot stand hearing any Van Halen song
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I might get lynched for this but as I was driving I thought of another one.

Bruce springstein.

I just never got the hype around his tunes.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I might get lynched for this but as I was driving I thought of another one.

Bruce springstein.

I just never got the hype around his tunes.

I was like that couldn't stand the guy till I saw him in concert and I had to admire his work ethic on stage. The man works the crowd and his band and some of his music is great.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Dave Matthews Band makes me want to stick dirty needles in my eyeballs for fun.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    I can't stand Dave Matthews. It breaks my ears every time I hear any song of his. They all sound exactly the same.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    After the obligatory mention of Creed and Nickelback, I'd have to say:

Grateful Dead
    Phish
    Dave Matthews
    Jimmy Buffett
    Tom Waits
  • Options
    ive never understood anyone who cant appreciate oasis. yeah they have issues, but what band doesnt? I dont know how ANYONE can listen to Wonderwall, or Live Forever (that solo at the end!), Dont Look back in Anger, or Champagne Supernova, and not think they are absolute geniuses. All those are some of the greatest songs ever written, flat out.

Ive never understood anyone who also cant appreciate pop music. Sure some its crap, but its funny how people seperate it. In the Grohl Bashes Glee thread I laid out a pretty coherent argument that the foos are pop music. Everlong, Big Me, My Hero, Learn to Fly, Next Year, all great songs, but pop songs, lets be real here people.

Ive never understood the logic involved in the "everything thats popular is crap" argument, because of bands like Foo's, who have credibility, but are as pop as hell.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,430
    ive never understood anyone who cant appreciate oasis. yeah they have issues, but what band doesnt? I dont know how ANYONE can listen to Wonderwall, or Live Forever (that solo at the end!), Dont Look back in Anger, or Champagne Supernova, and not think they are absolute geniuses. All those are some of the greatest songs ever written, flat out.

Ive never understood anyone who also cant appreciate pop music. Sure some its crap, but its funny how people seperate it. In the Grohl Bashes Glee thread I laid out a pretty coherent argument that the foos are pop music. Everlong, Big Me, My Hero, Learn to Fly, Next Year, all great songs, but pop songs, lets be real here people.

Ive never understood the logic involved in the "everything thats popular is crap" argument, because of bands like Foo's, who have credibility, but are as pop as hell.

Agree with you on Oasis - those songs stand up, and even their newer stuff is really good. Not sure how Beady Eye is - heard one song that sounded decent.

As for the Foos, sure they have some poppy sounding songs, but also plenty of rock-your-face-off songs. But a band like this could never gain credibility with an indie such as yourself, of course. So I won't even put up a fight here. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    As for the Foos, sure they have some poppy sounding songs, but also plenty of rock-your-face-off songs. But a band like this could never gain credibility with an indie such as yourself, of course. So I won't even put up a fight here. :lol:[/quote]

indeed indie is my go to genre, but ive said it again and again, i love pop music. i think its an art to craft a pop song that gets stuck in peoples heads. im talking top 40 songs here. in into hooks and choruses and things that get stuck in ones head. ive also maintained its way harder to craft a hook laden ear worm, than most other types of songs.

yes im an indie kid, but i love catchy songs
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Lifted wrote:
    ...jam bands in general are annoying to me (love the dead though)......basically i can't stand the music that self-proclaimed hippies who were born after 1985 listen to. you know the stereoptype. the people who's favorite artists include the latest lineup to the all-good festival. i'm sure some of them are not without merit, but for the most part i find the music to be irritating and incredibly boring...

Agree 100% with this. Love the Dead, but there's nothing quite like it with the newer Jam bands.

And I'd add Sublime to the list.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Lifted wrote:
    jam bands in general are annoying to me (love the dead though)......basically i can't stand the music that self-proclaimed hippies who were born after 1985 listen to. you know the stereoptype. the people who's favorite artists include the latest lineup to the all-good festival. i'm sure some of them are not without merit, but for the most part i find the music to be irritating and incredibly boring.

Most newer jambands are weak...but Phish is legit.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834

When you've lived in the UK and had a band shoved down your throat for 15 years, you kind of get sick of them :lol:
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    BinFrog wrote:
    Lifted wrote:
    jam bands in general are annoying to me (love the dead though)......basically i can't stand the music that self-proclaimed hippies who were born after 1985 listen to. you know the stereoptype. the people who's favorite artists include the latest lineup to the all-good festival. i'm sure some of them are not without merit, but for the most part i find the music to be irritating and incredibly boring.

Musically, yeah. But Lyrically? It's always seemed to me that Lyrics are an afterthought with Phish.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    merkinball wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Lifted wrote:

Musically, yeah. But Lyrically? It's always seemed to me that Lyrics are an afterthought with Phish.

Sometimes. But sometimes the whimsical lyrics are what help make the music a form of mindless release. It's the vehicle to get to the jam. Phish wouldn't be Phish if they tried too hard to be deep. That's not what I look to them for....their music is what is deep.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,430
    indeed indie is my go to genre, but ive said it again and again, i love pop music. i think its an art to craft a pop song that gets stuck in peoples heads. im talking top 40 songs here. in into hooks and choruses and things that get stuck in ones head. ive also maintained its way harder to craft a hook laden ear worm, than most other types of songs.

yes im an indie kid, but i love catchy songs

Regarding the Foos, one of my favorite bands, I can't stand My Hero, and I find Learn to Fly & Big Me kind of dull. I've never heard Next Year on the radio. And I think Everlong is one of the greatest rock songs ever made. :D

My favorite "catchy songs" artist is The Police.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217

I can appreciate their musicianship, but its the vocals. They just sound whiney to me, then I picture that asshole and think of how pompous he is and I hear whiney vocals and I just wanna pour acid in my ears.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Radiohead....pompous crap on the same level as U2 but no where near as good

Dave Matthews Band has also become one of those bands for me over the years....enjoyed the first two albums immensely but I can't them now
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Lifted wrote:
    ...jam bands in general are annoying to me (love the dead though)......basically i can't stand the music that self-proclaimed hippies who were born after 1985 listen to. you know the stereoptype. the people who's favorite artists include the latest lineup to the all-good festival. i'm sure some of them are not without merit, but for the most part i find the music to be irritating and incredibly boring...

Agree 100% with this. Love the Dead, but there's nothing quite like it with the newer Jam bands.

i disagree, widespread, string cheese, rat dog, further, all great bands.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    merkinball wrote:
    Lifted wrote:

i disagree, widespread, string cheese, rat dog, further, all great bands.

50% of the bands you metioned are decendants of the dead, who i did mention that i'm a fan of. there's nothing to disagree with though. just trying to generalize a music scene that i can't stand. that's what the thread is about.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Furthur's great because they're the closest I'll ever get to seeing the Grateful Dead.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Kid Rock makes me wanna take a big steamy dump.. It bothers me that he is usually pretty close to me :lol:
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Muse - They SUCK!
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    30 Seconds to Mars!!!!!!
    They played at Soundwave, who knows why!! :roll: There were little girls running around screaming and they had 30STM written all over themselves. I just can't stand Leto's wah wah wah voice!! :evil: So droning and annoying, okay finished!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    Coldplay...ick.
    Arcade Fire...I tried, sorry.
    The National...again, I tried. The singer bores the sh*t out of me.
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    WOW!!! No mention of 3 Days Gays...I mean Grace. They are terrible. Am I the only one? I would rather puke in a steam pile of shit and pick it all up and eat it. Alright maybe not, but I'd think about it. There are many others, but most have been mentioned already.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    Papa Roach. "suff-oh-KAY-SHUN.....no breathing". Dumbest lyric EEEVVVVEEERRRR.

Foo Fighters are undoubtedly pop music. And they kick fucking ass.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014