Options

Bands you can't stand.

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Lifted wrote:

Arcade Fire.

they are BORING. Ive listened to 2 of their albums and its just boring crap. They dont have any high energy heavy songs, its all just laid back vocals and boring guitars.

have you listened to 2 of their albums? have you really? and what you heard was no high energy heavy songs, just laid back vocals and boring guitars? huh? there are lots of other people who mentioned arcade fire in this thread. nothing wrong with that, but you were nice enough to tell us why, and i'm calling bullshit. either that or you're deaf. you may not like them, but you obviously have not really listened to two of their albums.

I've listened to all 3 and I would say close to the same thing. I wouldn't really call anything that I've heard high energy or heavy. I don't think the musicianship overall is that impressive. Alot of their songs are based around 1 chord progression and to me they just don't add enough to that. The songs build but they never peak. The wifey shouldn't sing, either.

Is there really not one song by some of these bands mentioned that you guys dig.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,659
    DewieCox wrote:
    Lifted wrote:

Arcade Fire.

they are BORING. Ive listened to 2 of their albums and its just boring crap. They dont have any high energy heavy songs, its all just laid back vocals and boring guitars.

have you listened to 2 of their albums? have you really? and what you heard was no high energy heavy songs, just laid back vocals and boring guitars? huh? there are lots of other people who mentioned arcade fire in this thread. nothing wrong with that, but you were nice enough to tell us why, and i'm calling bullshit. either that or you're deaf. you may not like them, but you obviously have not really listened to two of their albums.

I've listened to all 3 and I would say close to the same thing. I wouldn't really call anything that I've heard high energy or heavy. I don't think the musicianship overall is that impressive. Alot of their songs are based around 1 chord progression and to me they just don't add enough to that. The songs build but they never peak. The wifey shouldn't sing, either.

Is there really not one song by some of these bands mentioned that you guys dig.

that's fine. it may be boring to you. but the comments that got me were "no high energy heavy songs" and "laid back vocals". if that was part of a review of any of their albums, people would laugh at it. it just isn't true. not to say you have to like their sound, but the vocals are anything but laid back, and the music certainly has energy.
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Another! Tom Petty - sucks huge hairy balls.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Issues? No I don't have any issues, it's just the bands/artists that I have mentioned do absolutely nothing for me musically. I fail to see how anyone can not accept that there are people, like myself, who can say quite honestly that they do not like bands such as The Beatles. It's all subjective.

There's not a problem with naming bands you can't stand. That's the point of the whole thread

The problem lies in saying the Beatles are overrated. That's simply not true. It's not a matter of like and dislike.

If you're gonna use the "different stroke for different folks" argument you really can't say thinks like that.

Who is doing all this so called overrating?

EDIT: PS Hail To The Thief is the 3rd best Radiohead album behind The Bends and OKC

Sorry, I should have added 'in my opinion' - I wasn't suggesting that was a general consensus. It's not as I say this to be deliberately controversial and not for want of trying to get into them. I just don't get it, they sound very, very average to me. But, you know - each to their own and all that.

Got to disagree with you about Hail To The Thief. It was too rushed (even the band admitted so) and sounded a little disjointed. We Suck Young Blood, The Gloaming, Sit Down Stand Up and A Punch Up At A Wedding didn't work at all live for me.

Horses for courses, I suppose... ;)
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I've tried and tried, but The Black Keys.

Maybe in time, but right now I don't see the fascination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2S5xHMyvLo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=653PLUXWQuA

That'll do the trick.
    EmBleve wrote:

Sorry, not to intervene here, but I just noticed your screen name...have you read that book, '5 Against 1'?

Nope
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,496
    EmBleve wrote:
    Sorry, not to intervene here, but I just noticed your screen name...have you read that book, '5 Against 1'?

I've read it. It's pretty good, but seems unfairly disparaging to Eddie. I also got the feeling the author doesn't really like Pearl Jam that much, and just wanted to make some $$$.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Red Hot Chili Peppers.....can't stand the vocals at all
    Motley Crue.....a fine example of all that is bad in music
    Grateful Dead....just have never gotten the love
    Rage against the Machine.....another vocalist I just don't have the ear for
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Oh well, best to get it out in the open sooner rather than later I suppose. Let the controversy begin....

The Beatles - so overrated it's a little scary, time to move on people...anyway I've already said on here about my feelings for them, so no point keep repeating it.

Coldplay - One of those bands that it seems it is fashionable to like them. Bollocks to that idea...

Radiohead (Hail To The Thief onwards) - completely lost their way and, in their current format, they are horrendous.

Foo Fighters - Same, same, same, same, same etc.

Dead Weather - I just don't get it. Jack White is wasted in this band.

Bruce Springsteen - Can't see what all the fuss is about.

Jack Johnson - Sexy, sexy, plexy, hexy, FUCK OFF!! Shite.

Simply Red. Oh. don't even get me started on those.

Bob Marley - nope.

Kiss - They were geniuses. They invented a way of making millions of dollars from making the most dreadful music imaginable.

The Beach Boys - ???

Nirvana - Four or five decent tunes does not equal genius. Sorry.

Sex Pistols - ooh weren't they controversial? Erm, actually, no they were just some mouthy dickheads who couldn't make a decent tune if their lives had depended on it.

Bob Dylan - As aurally pleasant as your average air raid siren.

I totally agree with you on the Beatles..way overrrated, however I do love them individually.

First rock concert was KISS and I agree with your assessment.

Bruce yes but he's one of the hardest working musicians on stage, his music eh.

Nirvana too short of a period on top besides I only really liked one album.

Bob Dylan some of the greatest lyrics but his singing is hard for me to take.

Then we come to Marley BOB that is.....do you like reggae music? IF you don't then I can certainly understand.

ALL the others I either don't know or ever cared for.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    g under p wrote:

Not surprised RUSH made it in here, Kool. :D

Peace

I know!! Why SOOO Much Rush hate??
    :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    I hate anything with a whinny singer. I saw Bad Religion was opening for a band Rise Against. So I figured I would check them out. I gave up after two songs. I couldn't take the singing.

I hate songs more then bands. Any new pop music is something I hate.

I don't really hate Led Zeppelin, but I am not a fan either.
    When FASCISM Comes To America
    it will be wrapped in the FLAG and
    carrying a CROSS.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Coldplay

Peter Gabriel

Steveie Nicks
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I hate this thread, you guys are hating on some bands I love! :D And am I the only one that likes Nickelback? :oops: :shock: :o :? :evil: :roll: I don't get the big deal about the Beatles. I hate Creed and Radiohead and many other bands but those are my top couple.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850
    Van Halen, quite possibly the worst band ever!!!
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I hate this thread, you guys are hating on some bands I love! :D And am I the only one that likes Nickelback? :oops: :shock: :o :? :evil: :roll:
    Shhhh! Don't admit that here. Tip toe through the building, sneak out the back door and creep around the side and run for it. I'll keep you covered. :?
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Don't think I mentioned Mumford and sons yet.

europe is pretty bad too
  • Options
    jdpancoast wrote:
    U2!!!
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I hate this thread, you guys are hating on some bands I love! :D And am I the only one that likes Nickelback? :oops: :shock: :o :? :evil: :roll:
    Shhhh! Don't admit that here. Tip toe through the building, sneak out the back door and creep around the side and run for it. I'll keep you covered. :?
    :lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I don't get the big deal about the Beatles.
    You better study up on The Beatles.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

I know why they are a big deal but I just don't find them interesting...sorry man.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

I know why they are a big deal but I just don't find them interesting...sorry man.
    I had hope for you! :D Check out "Tomorrow Never Knows".
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Ok, let me give that a listen here...... :)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

Yet, Nickelback blows your mind?? I am not starting shit with you but, C'mon man!! ;)

I will quote Mike Patton "would anybody tell me if I was getting stupider?'
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Newch91 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I was never really a big fan of the Beatles either. Probably because my parents didn't listen to them.. My car rides when I was younger usually consisted of steely Dan, the doobie bros and billy Joel.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Lizard wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Not surprised RUSH made it in here, Kool. :D

Peace

I know!! Why SOOO Much Rush hate??
    :D

They are my other favorite band. No hate here!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    :lol: I knew that someone would bring that up. I will admit it, they don't have the best lyrics and he doesn't have the best voice but I like most of their music. Wasn't too fond of their last album but their earlier stuff was good! :D
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I was never really a big fan of the Beatles either. Probably because my parents didn't listen to them.. My car rides when I was younger usually consisted of steely Dan, the doobie bros and billy Joel.
    I like some songs of Steely Dan; I like pre-Michael McDonald Doobie Brothers; and I love Billy Joel.
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

Tomorrow never knows
    Happiness is a warm gun
    I'm so tired
    Dr. Robert
    A day the life
    I've got a feeling
    Two of us
    I me mine
    Sexy Sadie
    I want you
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

Tomorrow never knows
    Happiness is a warm gun
    I'm so tired
    Dr. Robert
    A day the life
    I've got a feeling
    Two of us
    I me mine
    Sexy Sadie
    I want you
    Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    This beatles thing is really blowing my mind.. they are one of my absolute favorites and I am just stunned to hear so many non-lovers!!! Can I send anybody some Beatles tracks they may convert them?

The second side of Abbey road
    the whole freaking White album
    Dig a pony
    across the universe
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

Tomorrow never knows
    Happiness is a warm gun
    I'm so tired
    Dr. Robert
    A day the life
    I've got a feeling
    Two of us
    I me mine
    Sexy Sadie
    I want you
    Strawberry Fields Forever

Absolutely.