How Much Are You Paying ?

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I've been finding the mid-grade at about an average of $3.59/gallon.

Biking weather is coming, and I now have a free bus pass from working at KUER 90.1. Plan on utilizing that now...

I actuall put mid-grade in for the first time..and I've been only getting $40 at a time

Feels better that way :lol:

I usually get premium

:|
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Seriously don't know what people in the US are bitching about. Your gas is still cheap compared to Canada and Europe. In BC we're up to $1.40+ a litre and rising. That's around $5.60 per gallon. In Europe it's even higher.
    in any case, I say if you don't like it, work towards beating your addiction to cars. I know some peopme HAVE to have them... but not the majority. Get on public transit, walk, cycle, carpool, Taxi when necessary. You will save thousands a year. If you must have a car for special trips, rent one. You'll save money, and the environment will love you. Or at least go from a two or three car family to a one car family... I know it's harder to be car free with kids, but more than one car per family seems excessive to me... it's just that people seem addicted to extreme convenience.

- proudly car free since 1976

What gets me is there is no reason for these increases thats what pisses me off

It's all bullshit

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i don't get the half tank thing....i'd rather minimize my stops and take the pain all the time

but on the flip side...hauling those extra 10 gallons around does hurt fuel mileage
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    dcfaithful wrote:

Biking weather is coming, and I now have a free bus pass from working at KUER 90.1. Plan on utilizing that now...

I actuall put mid-grade in for the first time..and I've been only getting $40 at a time

I usually get premium

It usually costs me about $30 to fill the Millenium Falcon up (yes, that is the name of my vehicle) and will last me up until like the day before payday. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    81 wrote:
    i don't get the half tank thing....i'd rather minimize my stops and take the pain all the time

but on the flip side...hauling those extra 10 gallons around does hurt fuel mileage

It's been taking me over the half tank marker on my guage

Four Cyclinder on a full tank i can get about 380-400 Miles luckily

rather spend the money on Flyers Tix

:D

dcfaithful wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I usually get premium

It usually costs me about $30 to fill the Millenium Falcon up (yes, that is the name of my vehicle) and will last me up until like the day before payday. :lol:

Are you paid weekly/bi-weekly/monthly ?

;)

PJ_Soul wrote:
    Seriously don't know what people in the US are bitching about. Your gas is still cheap compared to Canada and Europe. In BC we're up to $1.40+ a litre and rising. That's around $5.60 per gallon. In Europe it's even higher.
    in any case, I say if you don't like it, work towards beating your addiction to cars. I know some peopme HAVE to have them... but not the majority. Get on public transit, walk, cycle, carpool, Taxi when necessary. You will save thousands a year. If you must have a car for special trips, rent one. You'll save money, and the environment will love you. Or at least go from a two or three car family to a one car family... I know it's harder to be car free with kids, but more than one car per family seems excessive to me... it's just that people seem addicted to extreme convenience.

It's all bullshit

well...there could be trouble some place in uranunus....jack up the prices

i get summer driving season is coming, but a 25% in less than a month is crazy

and on top of that, my oil drilling stock is down a couple of bucks over the last couple of days.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

;)

daily
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

It's been taking me over the half tank marker on my guage

Four Cyclinder on a full tank i can get about 380-400 Miles luckily

rather spend the money on Flyers Tix

:D

pfffft...i can get 500 miles out of a tank if i get a good tail wind on the highway. :lol:

i forget who it was that was advertising mileage by talking about miles per tank with out stating how big the tank was. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

;)

Bi-weekly.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    81 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

It's all bullshit

well...there could be trouble some place in uranunus....jack up the prices

i get summer driving season is coming, but a 25% in less than a month is crazy

and on top of that, my oil drilling stock is down a couple of bucks over the last couple of days.

Exactly...gouging at its best

Getting back to not using a car kinda hard to do with a family and relatives who live outta state

Not many buses and taxi's go over bridges let alone the expense

i get not using a car if you live in chicago or new york or other places where public transit is really set up to get you around in a timely manner and a reasonable cost. but for 90% of the country, it's just not realistic to think public transit is the way to go.

as an example...way way way back when, i had to take the bus to work. i think it was 17 miles give or take. i could drive it in 25 minutes max. taking the bus took two hours in teh AM and 1.5 hours at night
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    taking the bus took two hours in teh AM

Just toke up before leaving the house, it'll pass the time and by the time you get to work you'll be ready for the day. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    taking the bus took two hours in teh AM

Just toke up before leaving the house, it'll pass the time and by the time you get to work you'll be ready for the day. :lol:

and bring plenty of snacks

:lol:

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    i get not using a car if you live in chicago or new york or other places where public transit is really set up to get you around in a timely manner and a reasonable cost. but for 90% of the country, it's just not realistic to think public transit is the way to go.

as an example...way way way back when, i had to take the bus to work. i think it was 17 miles give or take. i could drive it in 25 minutes max. taking the bus took two hours in teh AM and 1.5 hours at night

this is so true! When I went to college, the bus ran every 30 minutes, which isn't bad for the area. BUT it ran straight to the transit center, then I had to wait 20 minutes to take a bus to a different transit center (there were no other busses that ran to that transit center), by the time that bus got there, the bus I needed to get home had already left 5 minutes earlier...and that bus only ran every hour, so I had to wait 50 minutes for the next bus. 2½ hours later, I was home. It only took about 20 minutes to drive to the college from my house, I tried all different bus routes, and the schedules were so jacked, I couldn't save time anywhere. Oh, and walking home from the last transit center wasn't really safe, 3 miles on a 2 lane road with 40 MPH speed limit.

Damn...I spent more time riding the bus to and from school than I spent AT school. :crazy:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    81 wrote:

Yeah, I know that it really is a necessity for many (ONE car per family, that is, wherever possible). But for SO many others it totally isn't. I just wish all those people would cut their dependence and ditch the cars - cut the air pollution, noise pollution... with less traffic, transit would be faster. With more people using transit, Transit systems would improve quickly. With more walking and cycling, people would be healthier. With more carpooling, people would have more of a sense of community. And a pretty big decrease in our dependence on oil, not to mention encouraging the development of alternative transportation technology. That all sounds great to me, for those for whom it's possible. Excuses like "family out of state" and "gotta go to home depot"... well, that doesn't fly for me. There are ways. Again, just addicted to convenience, and that's pretty much modern society's main problem all 'round. But again, I get that for SOME, a car can be a necessity. As for gas prices... yes, the totally random pricing is crazy, and intact doesn't even seem legal.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    81 wrote:

Yeah, I know that it really is a necessity for many (ONE car per family, that is, wherever possible). But for SO many others it totally isn't. I just wish all those people would cut their dependence and ditch the cars - cut the air pollution, noise pollution... with less traffic, transit would be faster. With more people using transit, Transit systems would improve quickly. With more walking and cycling, people would be healthier. With more carpooling, people would have more of a sense of community. And a pretty big decrease in our dependence on oil, not to mention encouraging the development of alternative transportation technology. That all sounds great to me, for those for whom it's possible. Excuses like "family out of state" and "gotta go to home depot"... well, that doesn't fly for me. There are ways. Again, just addicted to convenience, and that's pretty much modern society's main problem all 'round. But again, I get that for SOME, a car can be a necessity. As for gas prices... yes, the totally random pricing is crazy, and intact doesn't even seem legal.

What are the "ways" to get out of state without a car ?

We are a two car household. If we wnt to a single car house, it would add 6 miles of driving to the daily driving.

You want everyone to live in big cities because that is the only place you are going to be able to support an effient system....unless you want to subsidize them more than they already are
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    81 wrote:

Greyhound :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:

this is so true! When I went to college, the bus ran every 30 minutes, which isn't bad for the area. BUT it ran straight to the transit center, then I had to wait 20 minutes to take a bus to a different transit center (there were no other busses that ran to that transit center), by the time that bus got there, the bus I needed to get home had already left 5 minutes earlier...and that bus only ran every hour, so I had to wait 50 minutes for the next bus. 2½ hours later, I was home. It only took about 20 minutes to drive to the college from my house, I tried all different bus routes, and the schedules were so jacked, I couldn't save time anywhere. Oh, and walking home from the last transit center wasn't really safe, 3 miles on a 2 lane road with 40 MPH speed limit.

Damn...I spent more time riding the bus to and from school than I spent AT school. :crazy:

When I was in university and before I moved from my parents and closer to campus, I spent nearly 4 hours on transit. And that was 4 hours of solid study time or sleeping time. You can o a lot of things on transit that you can't do driving. Read, email, snooze, study, write, draw... I don't think of transit time necessarily wasted time. Again, I get that doesn't work for someone who has to get to daycare on time for pick up or whatever. I just think people need to put in more of an effort! Maybe itch the car a couple days a week for a start? Try the bike? Look into a carpool some days... a little effort is better than none!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Poeple get plenty of emails done now in cars :x

I for one would prefer to sleep in my bed vs on a train....

Mas transit just doesn't work unless you are in a big city and even then...it's still funded with tax dollars. You can thank me for your low cost ride next time you are in chicagoland

I'm not giving up my car for a day unless i'm on vacation someplace that doesn't ned a car. Btw, san fran for a week last year, we went carless.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    [Greyhound :lol:

:lol:

Dont get me wrong Im all for not using a car everyday but somethings are not possible

With Kids and family out of state

81 wrote:
    Greyhound :lol:

Um, yeah, Greyhound is one good way. Not sure what the laughing is about. :?
    Bjt I didn't mean ways to get out of state without a car. I meant without owning one. When I want to go out of town on a road trip or whatever, I either go with someone with a car and share the cost, borrow someone else's car, or rent a car. It's not very expensive. I do take the Greyhound too though. I take it to Whistler all the time. A nice relaxing ride where I can sit back and enjoy the beautiful views and talk to some cool people. Doesn't take any longer than driving.
    81 wrote:

Mas transit just doesn't work unless you are in a big city and even then...it's still funded with tax dollars. You can thank me for your low cost ride next time you are in chicagoland

I'm not giving up my car for a day unless i'm on vacation someplace that doesn't ned a car. Btw, san fran for a week last year, we went carless.
    Yes I can see it's not in the cards for you!
    PS - next time you send your kids to public school thank me for paying taxes for that, since I don't have kids. ;).... theoretically, that is... we don't even live in the same country, lol.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    81 wrote:

Yes I can see it's not in the cards for you!
    PS - next time you send your kids to public school thank me for paying taxes for that, since I don't have kids. ;).... theoretically, that is... we don't even live in the same country, lol.

i don't have kids either. ;)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    When I was in university and before I moved from my parents and closer to campus, I spent nearly 4 hours on transit. And that was 4 hours of solid study time or sleeping time. You can o a lot of things on transit that you can't do driving. Read, email, snooze, study, write, draw... I don't think of transit time necessarily wasted time. Again, I get that doesn't work for someone who has to get to daycare on time for pick up or whatever. I just think people need to put in more of an effort! Maybe itch the car a couple days a week for a start? Try the bike? Look into a carpool some days... a little effort is better than none!

4 hours a day? I get that you can be productive, but 4 hours a day commuting just seems like time wasted to me. I could take the train to where I work now, but I choose to drive. I would have to take a bus to the train stop, take the train out to the burbs, then take another bus to my building. I would be looking at 3-4 hours everyday if I did that and to me that's just not worth it.
    i get it, public transist is good...it just doesn't work unless it's in the big city and subsidized by tax dollars if it's so great it should be able to stand on it's own two feet.

here is the chicago cta financials...some interesting stuff in their

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/ ... 0-2009.pdf

if it make you feel better, the woman works in they city and takes the train 95% of the way.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,441
    I drive 3 miles to work...
    I drive 3 miles home, from work.......

I put $20 a week in my car.....

Gas prices dont really concern me these days......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    To the people who bitch and moan here about how we should use public transportation and make an effort blah blah blah...there are those that would argue wasting time on internet forums is just wasting electricity. Electricity that is mostly produced by burning coal. Just saying...
    i generate my own electricity thru a gas power plant attached to my rectum
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg