How Much Are You Paying ?

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    polaris_x wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    It's not personal against you, this is just one of my pet peeves. When people say things like we should be limited to one car when possible...who makes that decision of what's possible? We should carpool to build a sense of community? I don't want to drive around all morning and after work picking up and dropping off co-workers to build a community. I work with them enough. I am addicted to convenience. What is really wrong with that?

it becomes an issue when your convenience impacts others ... if a guy walking his dog doesn't feel like picking up the dog's shit on your lawn because it isn't convenient ... how ya gonna feel about it?

the planet is for everyone ... there is just one ... the air, the water, etc ... we all share it ... you want to pollute the air because you feel it's your right ... so be it ... it's not an uncommon opinion ... it doesn't make it right ...

See that's where that logic never works. Not picking up your dog shit is against the law. Me choosing to not use public transportation is not.

That being said I do recycle as much as I can because I want to...I don't have to. And telling other people how they should conduct themselves and act...as long as they are not breaking the laws in place...is just plain wrong. There may be only one planet but everyone only has one life as well.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    DS1119 wrote:
    See that's where that logic never works. Not picking up your dog shit is against the law. Me choosing to not use public transportation is not.

That being said I do recycle as much as I can because I want to...I don't have to. And telling other people how they should conduct themselves and act...as long as they are not breaking the laws in place...is just plain wrong. There may be only one planet but everyone only has one life as well.

it's against the law to speed and to do running stops also ... the point was simply to respond to your belief that your entitlement should not supersede those of the public ... i get you don't like being preached to ... that's fine ... it's cool ... but when you say you should be able to do whatever the heck you want ... that's different ...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    DS1119 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    It's not personal against you, this is just one of my pet peeves. When people say things like we should be limited to one car when possible...who makes that decision of what's possible? We should carpool to build a sense of community? I don't want to drive around all morning and after work picking up and dropping off co-workers to build a community. I work with them enough. I am addicted to convenience. What is really wrong with that?

it becomes an issue when your convenience impacts others ... if a guy walking his dog doesn't feel like picking up the dog's shit on your lawn because it isn't convenient ... how ya gonna feel about it?

the planet is for everyone ... there is just one ... the air, the water, etc ... we all share it ... you want to pollute the air because you feel it's your right ... so be it ... it's not an uncommon opinion ... it doesn't make it right ...

You take what other people are saying about what they think about stuff way too personally. Yeah, I think that people should use their cars less. So what?? That's just an opinion. Why does that bother you? Not like I'm calling you every day on the phone and dropping buy and knocking on your door yelling at you about not driving. Just stop taking it personally, lol. I mean... you're saying that people shouldn't be talking about what they think others shouldn't do.... DUDE, STOP IMPOSING THINGS ON ME!! :)

And yeah, polaris is right. Being addicted to convenience does become a problem when it impacts other people negatively. Sure, when things are illegal it means you can't do it (technically). But since when did simple legality or lack thereof determine what is right or wrong as it affects other people? We're not talking about laws here. I know it's not illegal to drive a car obviously. That doesn't mean that too many people being addicted to their cars doesn't negatively impact the world. Of course, until something is illegal, it's totally up to you as to what your behaviour is going to be. But until then, I think it's pretty important that people send out message trying to encourage people to do what they think is the right thing to do... If they didn't, nothing would EVER happen. Imagine if, say, Martin Luther King was asked to step off and stop preaching about what he thought was right - hey, hating people because of their race wasn't illegal after all. So he shouldn't have been imposing messages of racial harmony and equality on anyone! How dare he impose his message of peace on the public! ... Get my drift?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    polaris_x wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

it's against the law to speed and to do running stops also ... the point was simply to respond to your belief that your entitlement should not supersede those of the public ... i get you don't like being preached to ... that's fine ... it's cool ... but when you say you should be able to do whatever the heck you want ... that's different ...

If I speed and get caught...I'm fined. Run a stop sign and caught I'm fined. If I dump 6,000 gallons of battery acid in a river and get caught I'm probably going to jail. Everyone has their own levels of entitlement. Until people who preach about the enviroment give up ALL of their Worldy possessions...meaning everything...no tv, car, radio, ipod, cd players, fridges, ovens, house, comfy sneakers, etc. they really shouldn't try and tell others what they should or shouldn't have. Just my opinion.
    DS1119 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

If I speed and get caught...I'm fined. Run a stop sign and caught I'm fined. If I dump 6,000 gallons of battery acid in a river and get caught I'm probably going to jail. Everyone has their own levels of entitlement. Until people who preach about the enviroment give up ALL of their Worldy possessions...meaning everything...no tv, car, radio, ipod, cd players, fridges, ovens, house, comfy sneakers, etc. they really shouldn't try and tell others what they should or shouldn't have. Just my opinion.

No offense, but that seems insane to me... You basically have to be a perfect human being before you can talk to others about one thing you think would make positive changes in the world?? Seriously... Don't you think that seems kind of off? It just doesn't make any sense. It precludes pretty much 100% of humans from ever being able to spread any kind of message of positive change. :?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    now this thread has too many words to read.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Being addicted to convenience does become a problem when it impacts other people negatively. Sure, when things are illegal it means you can't do it (technically). But since when did simple legality or lack thereof determine what is right or wrong as it affects other people? We're not talking about laws here. I know it's not illegal to drive a car obviously. That doesn't mean that too many people being addicted to their cars doesn't negatively impact the world.

See this is what it all boils down to. Who determines what being addicted to conveniences is? Is hopping in your car and driving to the mountains wasting gas just for some views and pretty pictures being addicted? Don't need to go? How many CDS do you own? Vinyl records? Do we need more than one pair of shoes at a time? Real Christmas tree...that's hurtful towards the enviroment. Fake Christmas tree...well that's hurtful too. Putting info out there is great, but these enviromentalists always phrase it on how we SHOULD act and what we SHOULD do.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I tried to warn you
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    81 wrote:
    I tried to warn you

I came back in here to see how the fart jokes were coming along and I find this huge debate, sheesh.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    No offense, but that seems insane to me... You basically have to be a perfect human being before you can talk to others about one thing you think would make positive changes in the world?? Seriously... Don't you think that seems kind of off? It just doesn't make any sense. It precludes pretty much 100% of humans from ever being able to spread any kind of message of positive change. :?

So giving up the conveniences that our advanced minds developed would make us perfect human beings??? Perhaps we should stop giving medications?
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    I tried to warn you

I came back in here to see how the fart jokes were coming along and I find this huge debate, sheesh.
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:

what you are talking about is hypocrisy (in your eyes) ... everyone is a hypocrite ...

ultimately tho - your position doesn't make much sense ... doctors tell people every day they should eat well, exercise and not smoke ... well, guess what ... doctors eat shit, smoke and sit on their asses too ...

i've never understood why so many people get defensive and bent out of shape when someone has an opinion they feel is important ... is it cuz you don't like the guilt? ... is it because people might actually be telling the truth ... i could be the biggest polluter in the world and my message that we shouldn't pollute would still ring true ... yeah, i'd be a hypocrite but who isn't and how does it change the crux of the message ... it doesn't ...
    Anyone who says they're not a hypocrite is also a liar. :)
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

So giving up the conveniences that our advanced minds developed would make us perfect human beings??? Perhaps we should stop giving medications?
    Whhaaaaat?? :?: :!:
    polaris_x wrote:
    what you are talking about is hypocrisy (in your eyes) ... everyone is a hypocrite ...

ultimately tho - your position doesn't make much sense ... doctors tell people every day they should eat well, exercise and not smoke ... well, guess what ... doctors eat shit, smoke and sit on their asses too ...

i've never understood why so many people get defensive and bent out of shape when someone has an opinion they feel is important ... is it cuz you don't like the guilt? ... is it because people might actually be telling the truth ... i could be the biggest polluter in the world and my message that we shouldn't pollute would still ring true ... yeah, i'd be a hypocrite but who isn't and how does it change the crux of the message ... it doesn't ...

No guilt on my part. I live my life how I want within the laws. Perhaps its the one's who preach that are feeling the guilt and feel it necessary to try and direct others on how to act. Still it all comes down to the word SHOULD. I shouldn't do anything but pay my bills, take care of my friends and family, and enjoy life. If I CHOOSE to recycle, carpool, whatever...that's my choice. Having someone tell me I should have only one car...someone telling me I should carpool...someone telling me I should ride a bike...no.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Whhaaaaat?? :?: :!:

I refered to enviromentalists basically being hypocrites. Don't tell me not to drive my car until you give up every modern convenience that hurts the enviroment. Then I might listen. As long as that person goes home to their house...in their car...turns the tv on...cranks up the AC and sleeps in their comfy bed...don't tell me what I can and can't have.
    DS1119 wrote:
    No guilt on my part. I live my life how I want within the laws. Perhaps its the one's who preach that are feeling the guilt and feel it necessary to try and direct others on how to act. Still it all comes down to the word SHOULD. I shouldn't do anything but pay my bills, take care of my friends and family, and enjoy life. If I CHOOSE to recycle, carpool, whatever...that's my choice. Having someone tell me I should have only one car...someone telling me I should carpool...someone telling me I should ride a bike...no.

:lol::lol: ... ok ...
    DS1119 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I didn't even know you existed until after I said I think people should find alternatives to owning cars... If you want to interpret people's statements of opinion as them telling you directly what you ought to do just because they used the word "should" and you think that equals "I AM TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO!", that really is too bad for you!! It necessarily closes you off to new ideas or perspectives, or even just from being able to have a reasonable discussion with someone without it going off the rails.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I didn't even know you existed until after I said I think people should find alternatives to owning cars... If you want to interpret people's statements of opinion as them telling you directly what you ought to do just because they used the word "should" and you think that equals "I AM TELLING YOU WHAT TO DO!", that really is too bad for you!! It necessarily closes you off to new ideas or perspectives, or even just from being able to have a reasonable discussion with someone without it going off the rails.

let it go ... :)

bottom line is he doesn't like being told what to do ... period

so be it ...
    Ask him how he feels about charging stations :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

81 wrote:
    I have always had a problem letting these kinds of conversations go - I really really have to work on it! ... Pandora isn't around this thread, is she? :? ;)
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Definition of the word "should".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ ... circle.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Definition of the word "should".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ ... circle.jpg

:lol: Thanks man!
    speaking of gas prices...up anouther dime today to 4.599

that 1.10 in the last 30 days.

that's 32% in a month
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited March 2012
    for those that like charts

gaschart.jpg

blue line is cost per gallon for that fill up, pink line is a rolling weighted average
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    speaking of gas prices...up anouther dime today to 4.599

that 1.10 in the last 30 days.

that's 32% in a month
    I have really wondered how the pricing of gas has been allowed to carry on like it has. Why no government investigation?? Last year Canada's finance minister actually said HE wasn't even clear on how and why gas prices fluctuated the way they did, and there was talk of a government inquiry, but so far, nothing... Maybe that finance minister and anyone else who declared their concern has a fatter wallet this year than last. :? Would not surprise me one bit.
    good stuff here

http://205.254.135.7/oog/info/twip/twip.asp

i know it's US, but still good info
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    US Gasoline exports

twip_120321.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    speaking of energy...check this shit out....

prresprwhlm.gif

now compare those wholesale price lines to retail price lines

prresm.gif

how does that work?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg