Options

PEARL JAM CANADA 2011

Comments

• Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    See you guys in Vancouver, just a hop, skip, and a jump over the border for me. If this thing pans out, I'd much rather attend a few shows than try and tackle PJ20's logistics. Either way, I'm seeing PJ this year! :mrgreen:
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    Lukin66 wrote:
    See you guys in Vancouver, just a hop, skip, and a jump over the border for me. If this thing pans out, I'd much rather attend a few shows than try and tackle PJ20's logistics. Either way, I'm seeing PJ this year! :mrgreen:

Yer goddamn RIGHT we'll see you here! Where's the pre-party?

too soon?
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,821
    See ya guys in Montreal and Toronto.

See you soon! :)
    THIS IS AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!!........I love the part where it says "at least", so this means a cross CANADA tour...sweet!!! PLEASE HALIFAX!!!!!!!!!!

*crossing fingers. I heard on Live 105 this morning about the Soundgarden new's. Hoping that the band will play here in our city. Even if they can't make it here, at least one show in the Maritimes.

But my spider sense is tingling. Could we get Mundhony, Soundgarden & Pearl Jam on one bill @ the Halifax Commons or maybe @ Magnetic Hill this fall!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Woooody wrote:
    Lukin66 wrote:
    Yer goddamn RIGHT we'll see you here! Where's the pre-party?

too soon?
    I'll probaby hit up the Vancouver ferry, so the preparty is gonna be starting as soon as I step on the boat :lol:
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
    demetrios wrote:
    Could we get Mundhony, Soundgarden & Pearl Jam on one bill @ the Halifax Commons or maybe @ Magnetic Hill this fall!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: but then that would be 8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,821
    Pap wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Could we get Mundhony, Soundgarden & Pearl Jam on one bill @ the Halifax Commons or maybe @ Magnetic Hill this fall!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: but then that would be 8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

Ah yeah! 8-)
  • Options
    nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Are you serious????? The Ampitheatre is possibly the worst venue in the city. Everything about that place is bad. Here's to hoping that the timing of these shows before hockey and basketball season starts means that they will be at the ACC.

i kind of have to disagree...it's nice to be able to see a show outdoors in this city during the summer...obviously it's not as transit-accessible as the ACC, but the atmosphere is better..

the sightlines are comparable and the sound is decent unless you're on the lawn...also, i used to work there for a couple years, so i have sentimental memories of the place :D
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,091
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Are you serious????? The Ampitheatre is possibly the worst venue in the city. Everything about that place is bad. Here's to hoping that the timing of these shows before hockey and basketball season starts means that they will be at the ACC.

i kind of have to disagree...it's nice to be able to see a show outdoors in this city during the summer...obviously it's not as transit-accessible as the ACC, but the atmosphere is better..

the sightlines are comparable and the sound is decent unless you're on the lawn...also, i used to work there for a couple years, so i have sentimental memories of the place :D
    My preference for the ACC is for the following reasons:

1. I generally prefer indoor shows. Louder, better atmosphere.
    2. The sound is AWFUL at the Ampitheatre. It is good in the first 10-12 rows on the floor and gets prgressively worse with each subsequent row.
    3. The Ampitheatre is a cluster f** to get in and out of. In '09 it took half an hour just to WALK out of the venue.
    4. The Ampitheatre is a cluster f** for parking. I still temember in '03 that I got home from the Buffalo show earlier than I did from the Toronto show. The Buffalo show was almost an hour longer and the drive is an hour further.

I will take what I can get, but I would definitely prefer the ACC.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    Hmmm my source here in Edmonton just emailed me back.

Previous emails said "Chris, PJ are touring this year (and unless something changes), Edmo will be a stop. That's my two cents but you didn't hear it from me"

Now this mornings email said "Chris, You'll be the first to know if there's a PJ show. No word yet."

His tune has changed substantially :( *shakes nervously* Did someone get to him or did the deal fall through in Edmonton? :o :shock:
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    BeerBaron wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

2. The sound is AWFUL at the Ampitheatre. It is good in the first 10-12 rows on the floor and gets prgressively worse with each subsequent row.
    3. The Ampitheatre is a cluster f** to get in and out of. In '09 it took half an hour just to WALK out of the venue.
    4. The Ampitheatre is a cluster f** for parking. I still temember in '03 that I got home from the Buffalo show earlier than I did from the Toronto show. The Buffalo show was almost an hour longer and the drive is an hour further.

I prefer the ACC as well - but Montreal will almost certainly be the Bell Centre so since I'm planning to do both the variety might be nice.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    BeerBaron wrote:

i like the amphitheatre ... although i am usually in the first 5 rows ... something about having the sun come down is pretty cool ... accessibility does suck however, i ride a bike down there and it's easy peasy for me ...

is there a way of converting the skydome into something intimate with the roof open and have good sound?
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

i like the amphitheatre ... although i am usually in the first 5 rows ... something about having the sun come down is pretty cool ... accessibility does suck however, i ride a bike down there and it's easy peasy for me ...

is there a way of converting the skydome into something intimate with the roof open and have good sound?

i work there and they rarely open the roof for concerts - they've only done it 3 times (twice for U2 and once for Springsteen)...they can configure the place into a "theatre" set-up where they curtain off half of the place (they did this when Radiohead played there in 2003), but i haven't seen it done for a concert since i started working there in late 2008 and i don't think it's logistically possible to open the roof with the theatre set-up (the curtains would need to hang from the roof)...
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto

• Options
    I wish the sound at Roger's Centre was better. I saw U2 there in 2009 with the dome open and the sound was actually pretty good. I also saw the Rolling Stones there in 2004 with the dome closed and the sound sucked.
    The ampitheatre is good if you're in section 300 or closer. Pit is amazing there.

The reason that I posted was because I would love to see Pearl Jam play in Montreal. Ever since I saw "I got shit" on touring band from Montreal, I've wanted to go there for a PJ show. Plus, I'm a huge Habs fan.
    2003: Toronto
    2004: Boston 1
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (1&2)
    2007: LOLLAPALOOZA
    2008: Mansfield (1& 2), EV Toronto
    2009:Toronto
    2010: Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011: EV Detroit, East Troy (1&2), Toronto (1&2) Hamilton
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Detroit
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    I wish the sound at Roger's Centre was better. I saw U2 there in 2009 with the dome open and the sound was actually pretty good. I also saw the Rolling Stones there in 2004 with the dome closed and the sound sucked.
    The ampitheatre is good if you're in section 300 or closer. Pit is amazing there.

The reason that I posted was because I would love to see Pearl Jam play in Montreal. Ever since I saw "I got shit" on touring band from Montreal, I've wanted to go there for a PJ show. Plus, I'm a huge Habs fan.
    Habs fan from Hamilton?
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:

i've seen shows there where the sound is really good, and others where it's pretty terrible...it all depends on the sound engineer and the kind of sound set-up/mix the band uses...in general, it's comparable to the ACC as i find the sound doesn't reverberate as much as in an indoor venue..

and i agree on the amphitheatre being a pain to get out of...for some reason there's only one major exit ramp out of the place (although there's other exits that lead into other areas of ontario place that people don't generally use)...definitely a major oversight by the building engineers..

• Options
    W.M.EhW.M.Eh Posts: 133
    BeerBaron wrote:

i've seen shows there where the sound is really good, and others where it's pretty terrible...it all depends on the sound engineer and the kind of sound set-up/mix the band uses...in general, it's comparable to the ACC as i find the sound doesn't reverberate as much as in an indoor venue..

and i agree on the amphitheatre being a pain to get out of...for some reason there's only one major exit ramp out of the place (although there's other exits that lead into other areas of ontario place that people don't generally use)...definitely a major oversight by the building engineers..

I agree on the set-up of the Amphitheatre being a disaster to negotiate however, for the show in 09' I was 7 rows back in section 200 with my 255XXX membership and in 06' that number gave me 27 rows back on the floor at the ACC. Amphitheatre is better for my membership in terms of seating, now if they would give me the first few rows side stage at the ACC I would be quite alright. Not that I am bitching, no need for that I'll gladly take what the Ten Club gives me!
    The last PJ show I went to was the best PJ show ever, that is until they come around again of course

• Options
    brio33800brio33800 Posts: 77
    Hello,

I'm considering getting tickets for the shows in canada. Travelling all over from France, which part of Canada would you recommand me? Which city do you think it's worth going to to see Pearl Jam?
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    brio33800 wrote:
    Hello,

I'm considering getting tickets for the shows in canada. Travelling all over from France, which part of Canada would you recommand me? Which city do you think it's worth going to to see Pearl Jam?
    I would do Montreal and Toronto, and if there's a day off, stop in Ottawa in the middle for a day! PM me, I'm from Ottawa and have lived in Montreal!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    brio33800 wrote:
    Hello,

I would do Montreal and Toronto, and if there's a day off, stop in Ottawa in the middle for a day! PM me, I'm from Ottawa and have lived in Montreal!

This is good advice
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    zarocat wrote:
    brio33800 wrote:
    Hello,

This is good advice

I agree as well. Montreal and Ottawa are beautiful cities....Toronto I can do without :lol:

On the original topic, with Mudhoney opening, I guess that ruins my hopes of seeing The Gaslight Anthem open for PJ :cry:
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    W.M.Eh wrote:

I agree on the set-up of the Amphitheatre being a disaster to negotiate however, for the show in 09' I was 7 rows back in section 200 with my 255XXX membership and in 06' that number gave me 27 rows back on the floor at the ACC. Amphitheatre is better for my membership in terms of seating, now if they would give me the first few rows side stage at the ACC I would be quite alright. Not that I am bitching, no need for that I'll gladly take what the Ten Club gives me!

you're very near the cutoff for side stage...i'm 260xxx and got first row side stage in 2006 (night one)..

• Options
    Depending on the date of the show there could be one major drawback to the Amp....THE COLD!!!

The temp drops the closer you get to October. Last year it dropped as soon as Labour Day was done.

I agree the fanclub seats are better though.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    zarocat wrote:
    brio33800 wrote:
    Hello,

This is good advice
    Yeah, you can reasonably do most of the 'important' things in Ottawa in a day as well, then either hop on a cheap flight to TO or train/bus down the day of the show (4-5 hours).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    brio33800 wrote:
    Hello,

i would say vancouver its a cool city to visit
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    brio33800 wrote:
    Hello,

Toronto and Vancouver are definitely my 2 fav Canadian cities.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    brio33800 wrote:
    Hello,

I'm with you. Vancouver is awesome. And it's close enough to Seattle to go check out PJ's home. Toronto, however, is closer to....a lot of stuff! Niagra Falls, Ottawa, and a short flight from a lot of cool Eastern US cities. Montreal too, but I haven't beent there since I was a kid so I can't comment much about it.

Pumped for Mudhoney! I hope this tour hits AB with them in support, I've never had a chance to catch them!
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992
    MAN OL MAN.... Damn. Just seen this thread and was like WTF!.

PJ please come to TO :D

I am so f'king excited right now.... I will be there for sure!

You guys are the best MFing band in the world!
    Nam
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
    Pumped for Mudhoney! I hope this tour hits AB with them in support, I've never had a chance to catch them!
    I had the chance to see them live last year. They were incredible. Believe me, you are not going to regret it.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    StoneGardenStoneGarden Posts: 270
    Flagg wrote:
    Montreal!!

:lol: :shock: C'est ça exactement!! :shock: :lol:

That's it, Exactly... except 1hr East of there... in Sherbrooke, Quebec! :D You know, small venue... nothing crazy... just sayin'

StoneGarden
    07-19-'13 Chicago (TY EarthCam) @ 10♣
    07-16-'13 London (TY Dave)
    09-07-'11 Montreal
    09-04-'11 PJ20 In My Tree (TY Gary) @ 10♣
    09-03-'11 PJ20 In My Tree (TY Gary) @ 10♣
    05-09-'06 Toronto
    10-01-'96 Buffalo