Options

PEARL JAM CANADA 2011

Comments

• Options
    apeman77apeman77 Posts: 153
    ]

I am originally from Saskatchewan and frequent some boards with a lot of Saskatchewan users and needless to say I have heard nothing. When a band /artist of the nature of AC/DC, Metallica, Aerosmith or Keith Urban come Saskatchean gets excited, for Pearl Jam not so much (see Saskatoon 2005 show attendance, very piss poor).

Saskatchewan (love my home do not get me wrong) has the lamest taste for music I have heard, either country or crap bands like I just mentioned. The radio stations back home are super weak and play crap 24/7.

Not saying PJ is not coming back just I am not shocked there is no buzz like other cities in western Canada. I knew of the PJ show in Saskatoon because someone I was friends with someone who had an in at the CUC.

I think they should play Regina as it is a super small venue and they could sell it out, sadly PJ is not very popular with most Saskatchewan people, BUT I know some people who lost touch with PJ and went to the 2005 show and loved it. So maybe another trip will open up more eyes.

Regardless Calgary for sure for this guy and Vancouver (always a good show).

You absolutely nailed it man. Pearl Jam comes to Saskatoon, and they don't sell out. George Strait comes to Saskatoon and they're ready to burn the f*cking city down.

The radio stations here are TERRIBLE!

And lastly, I actuallly agree with the whole playing in Regina thing. I think it would be more likely to see them in Regina at the smaller arena (not just because i live here and would rather see that) only because I think it's about a 6,000 seat venue and they would surely sell that place out.........but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    apeman77 wrote:
    You absolutely nailed it man. Pearl Jam comes to Saskatoon, and they don't sell out. George Strait comes to Saskatoon and they're ready to burn the f*cking city down.

The radio stations here are TERRIBLE!

And lastly, I actuallly agree with the whole playing in Regina thing. I think it would be more likely to see them in Regina at the smaller arena (not just because i live here and would rather see that) only because I think it's about a 6,000 seat venue and they would surely sell that place out.........but I'm not holding my breath.

I always joke with my friends in Regina about how (and this is true every time, no lie) every time I visit I can guarantee that the Wolf will play Aerosmith Dude looks like a Lady....everytime.

They could sell Regina out and I think it would make for a better show than Saskatoon, I could not believe how ZERO hype there was last time, just nothing. So disappointing after I came off seeing them in three straight sold to the rafter venues to empty seats. Felt embarrassed for my home province and for the band because that is the first time they come through and nothing....brutal. Crowd was super lame as well, just way too quiet.
  • Options
    Agreed. It was emberassing. I only made it to the Calgary and Saskatoon shows last time, and they were just completely different atmospheres. Calgary was sooooooo good. I can't wait for this next one there. And I heard Winnipeg was a gong show. I'm hoping to make it to both Winnipeg and Calgary this time around.

Also, the radio station thing.....I have to ask others if there is any word of a concert announcement because I flat out refuse to listen to the radio here. I have a Sirius that I listen to in my car, or the CBC.
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Gibson wrote:
    My fiancee just left me, and if anyone wants to come over Monday morning for a beer during the announcement, I could use the company!

No sympathies required, it's for the best..

what you told her, 'honey, i'll be gone for a while this summer and fall..you just hang in and hold down the fort" or something along those lines?
    (just sayin' cuz that's what i would have done :D )

but sorry to hear it anyway
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    apeman77 wrote:
    Agreed. It was emberassing. I only made it to the Calgary and Saskatoon shows last time, and they were just completely different atmospheres. Calgary was sooooooo good. I can't wait for this next one there. And I heard Winnipeg was a gong show. I'm hoping to make it to both Winnipeg and Calgary this time around.

Also, the radio station thing.....I have to ask others if there is any word of a concert announcement because I flat out refuse to listen to the radio here. I have a Sirius that I listen to in my car, or the CBC.

Calgary was freaking off the hook stupid good, Calgary is a HUGE Pearl Jam town. I know so many people that love PJ, just random people I meet all the time and everyone talks about that show.

Vancouver is always a good time, the last show I went to in 2009 was the best of the six I have seen, crowd was amazing.

For me crowd atmosphere trumps set-list ALL THE TIME, that is why Saskatoon disappointed me. Very good set-list IMHO but the crowd was fucking brutal.
  • Options
    For me crowd atmosphere trumps set-list ALL THE TIME, that is why Saskatoon disappointed me. Very good set-list IMHO but the crowd was fucking brutal.

For sure, the setlist for Saskatoon was better, but the crowd in Calgary just made that show so good. Did you make it to the Winnipeg show then? I'm just wondering, everyone said it was excellent.
  • Options
    apeman77 wrote:

For sure, the setlist for Saskatoon was better, but the crowd in Calgary just made that show so good. Did you make it to the Winnipeg show then? I'm just wondering, everyone said it was excellent.

No I didn't, wanted to but my last your of university got in the way of that.

Done Vancouver 2005, Calgary 2005, Edmonton 2005, Saskatoon 2005, Virgin Vest Calgary 2009, and Vancouver 2009.

Order of "goodness":

Vancouver 2009, Calgary 2005, Vancouver 2005, Virgin Fest 2009, Edmonton 2005, and Saskatoon 2005.
  • Options
    As per a previous post of mine, depending on the Toronto Date, I will set up a block of rooms at my hotel for you all. Upgrades for all!!! Just don't trash the place.

Awesome!! I think it's pretty much a given that it will be during TIFF since PJ20 is supposed to be released in Sept. Rumour has it, it will be at TIFF. Hopefully for the out of towners, the hotel situation isn't too crazy/expensive. So glad I live here...don't have to worry about it.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    I have no idea how this is going to play out and I'm more certain now that there won't be an Atlantic date. I guess Monday's announcement will determine my plan of attack. I hope to do Alpine Valley and Montreal on the way home; I start class again on September 8. I'd love to be able to do some Ontario shows if they were on the weekend.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,572
    rattzey wrote:
    Lamb, Kapamas and Spanakopita?! Come on you guys! You're killing me! Drooling... :mrgreen:

And a few Mythos just for the hell of it :)

:lol:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,984
    As per a previous post of mine, depending on the Toronto Date, I will set up a block of rooms at my hotel for you all. Upgrades for all!!! Just don't trash the place.

Awesome!! I think it's pretty much a given that it will be during TIFF since PJ20 is supposed to be released in Sept. Rumour has it, it will be at TIFF. Hopefully for the out of towners, the hotel situation isn't too crazy/expensive. So glad I live here...don't have to worry about it.

What dates are the TIFF? And are they close to the ACC?

:)
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,091

Out of towners coming in for the Toronto show better have a friend's couch to sleep on or you will be paying a small ransom for a hotel room ... if you can even find one...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

Tiff runs from Sept 8 - 18.

Not sure what you are asking in your second question. But TIFF is all over the place at various theatres and venues throughout the downtown core. Not a lot of places are close to the ACC though. The one event I attended a couple of years ago (The Body or War Premiere) was up by UofT at St. George and Bloor.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,984
    BeerBaron wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

Tiff runs from Sept 8 - 18.

Not sure what you are asking in your second question. But TIFF is all over the place at various theatres and venues throughout the downtown core. Not a lot of places are close to the ACC though. The one event I attended a couple of years ago (The Body or War Premiere) was up by UofT at St. George and Bloor.

It was movie theaters. :oops:

I'll be booking my hotel @ the Delta Hotel if things works out the next few hours. Would be awesome to see the Pearl Jam Twenty film and the very next night see Pearl Jam live, in Toronto! :)
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    I have a friends couch to sleep on in TO so long as the dates are a weekend. TIFF and a couple shows would be sweet. But it's looking like Alpine and Montreal. Luckily I got my Harvest Jazz and Blues Ultimate Pass this morning for the week after PJ! Gregg Allman, Warren Haynes, MMW, Taj Mahal, JJ Grey, Jonny Lang, and more!! All a 5 minute walk from my house!!
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    apeman77 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong.......nobody wants to see them play in Saskatchewan more than me, but with no rumors floating around Saskatchewan right now, and the fact that they didn't sell out Sask Place last time........I wouldn't be holding my breath for any Saskatchewan shows.

That being said..........f*ck I HOPE they play Saskatchewan.
    Are you talking about the 05 Saskatoon show? If so, my understanding is that the upper seats at the back were not sold because the score clock blocked the view of the stage. They didn't open up the seats behind the stage either (not sure if there is a reason for that aside from sales or not)...But I'm pretty sure that show was sold out.

As for atmosphere...the crowd WAS small - mid-size arena with empty seats, which probably did affect the sound quality a bit, combined with a set with some mellow spots, and (lets face it), maybe some unfamiliarity to the local fans ;)...but still, it was a fav show for me - had the best seats I've ever had, it felt intimate, Ed leaning into the crowd to sing Porch, and the broadcast of Given to Fly for the Katrina fundraiser were cool moments...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lREGzRfO4Js

My ideal scenario is Saskatoon-Cal-Edm with two of the shows on the weekend...that would allow me 3 shows with two days off work and no flights = funds and holidays left for PJ20 (or additional Canadian or Soundgarden shows if the lineup is a let down). If Regina gets a show, I won't be seeing them in Saskatchewan...don't want the flight expense, and I'd rather go to Van for an extra hours' drive, sorry Regina ;)
  • Options
    Are you talking about the 05 Saskatoon show? If so, my understanding is that the upper seats at the back were not sold because the score clock blocked the view of the stage. They didn't open up the seats behind the stage either (not sure if there is a reason for that aside from sales or not)...But I'm pretty sure that show was sold out.

As for atmosphere...the crowd WAS small - mid-size arena with empty seats, which probably did affect the sound quality a bit, combined with a set with some mellow spots, and (lets face it), maybe some unfamiliarity to the local fans ;)...but still, it was a fav show for me - had the best seats I've ever had, it felt intimate, Ed leaning into the crowd to sing Porch, and the broadcast of Given to Fly for the Katrina fundraiser were cool moments...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lREGzRfO4Js

My ideal scenario is Saskatoon-Cal-Edm with two of the shows on the weekend...that would allow me 3 shows with two days off work and no flights = funds and holidays left for PJ20 (or additional Canadian or Soundgarden shows if the lineup is a let down). If Regina gets a show, I won't be seeing them in Saskatchewan...I'd rather go to Van for an extra hours' drive, sorry Regina ;)

You are crazy because to pick Vancouver over Regina....;). Especially for things to do...ha-ha j/k buddy.

I am pretty sure there are no seats behind the stage; remembering Blades games I think that is kind of open area (at least on the second deck) but I could be wrong. Do not agree with the score-clock either because a lot of other bands of played there to a full house with the stage in the same spot, far from a sell-out.
  • Options
    You are crazy because to pick Vancouver over Regina....;). Especially for things to do...ha-ha j/k buddy.

I am pretty sure there are no seats behind the stage; remembering Blades games I think that is kind of open area (at least on the second deck) but I could be wrong. Do not agree with the score-clock either because a lot of other bands of played there to a full house with the stage in the same spot, far from a sell-out.
    Ah, you're right about behind the stage...memory of that show is a bit fuzzier than usual, was the only show of the tour without my pregnant (now ex) wife...my tolerance was down and I let loose a bit ;)
    you'd know better than me about the score clock...pretty sure it was someone here who said that about the seat sales - don't know where else I'd have read it.
    And ya, I've visited Regina....once....I love Van :)
    nuff said :lol:
    Saskatoon, on the other hand, I thought was actually a pretty nice town.
  • Options
    Ah, you're right about behind the stage...memory of that show is a bit fuzzier than usual, was the only show of the tour without my pregnant (now ex) wife...my tolerance was down and I let loose a bit ;)
    you'd know better than me about the score clock...pretty sure it was someone here who said that about the seat sales - don't know where else I'd have read it.
    And ya, I've visited Regina....once....I love Van :)
    nuff said :lol:
    Saskatoon, on the other hand, I thought was actually a pretty nice town.

It was just a piss poor attendance and too many people expecting to hear Ten was what the problem with the crowd was. When I seen the concernt was the first day of university I thought it could potentially be epic BUT I think that actually hampered attendance. WIth a concert being later in September Saskatoon may redeem itself because honestly a lot has changed in that city (and province for that matter) since 2005. Considering Saskatchewan is the economic power-house of Canada...haha funny to say that.

Hoping either city gets a show and redeems themselves.
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,762
    Maybe I'm in the minority here (I probably am) but I love how there is piratically no people here with "It's confirmed, book it!" posts for the Canadian tour...For the EV solo shows there were ticket sales posted on sites like Ticketmaster, everyone had threads confirming individual dates, there was every date already confirmed by a friend of a guy's brother and all we were waiting for was the ticket sale times...

This time, no one has really leaked any real dates, I'm looking forward to the announcement this week more than any other announcement in the past 4-5 years...It' going to be an exciting summer/fall...
  • Options
    jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    saskatoon in the spring/summer/fall is pretty nice, its only a terrible place in the winter hahaha

Regina on the other hand is kinda blah whatever
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• Options
    Maybe I'm in the minority here (I probably am) but I love how there is piratically no people here with "It's confirmed, book it!" posts for the Canadian tour...For the EV solo shows there were ticket sales posted on sites like Ticketmaster, everyone had threads confirming individual dates, there was every date already confirmed by a friend of a guy's brother and all we were waiting for was the ticket sale times...

This time, no one has really leaked any real dates, I'm looking forward to the announcement this week more than any other announcement in the past 4-5 years...It' going to be an exciting summer/fall...

Good point...actually makes the wait somewhat exciting since we have no idea (minus a couple hear-say dates) of where and when they are going.

Very interesting. I hope to see some surprise stops like Thunday Bay was for 2005, something just random like that.
  • Options
    jordan k wrote:
    saskatoon in the spring/summer/fall is pretty nice, its only a terrible place in the winter hahaha

The entire province is a terrible place to be in the winter time, freaking super cold and windy.
  • Options
    jordan k wrote:

The entire province is a terrible place to be in the winter time, freaking super cold and windy.

Agreed I have had tto go there multiple times in the winter in both cities yuck to each.
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

• Options
    It was just a piss poor attendance and too many people expecting to hear Ten was what the problem with the crowd was. When I seen the concernt was the first day of university I thought it could potentially be epic BUT I think that actually hampered attendance. WIth a concert being later in September Saskatoon may redeem itself because honestly a lot has changed in that city (and province for that matter) since 2005. Considering Saskatchewan is the economic power-house of Canada...haha funny to say that.

Hoping either city gets a show and redeems themselves.
    I don't care much about redemption for a Saskatchewan show, only convenience and good seats...that's why I want Saskatoon. The Edmonton/Calgary shows, on the other hand, some serious redemption there...the Edmonton crowd was good in 05, but it was a typical weeknight (sunday) show...not too crazy b/c of less alcohol...Calgary was a near out-of-control booze-fest...actually 09 was too...and any other weekend event in Calgary :lol: (I thought Virginfest was fun, but the atmosphere sucked compared to 05)...Calgary is a great city in many ways, and yes, it's a big PJ town...but Edmonton's sports and music crowd kill Calgary's....so I'm praying the Friday date is right, redemption, ya ;)
  • Options
    jordan k wrote:
    jordan k wrote:

Agreed I have had tto go there multiple times in the winter in both cities yuck to each.
    I live in Edmonton guys, I can't say much :D
    Ya, the river/downtwon area of Saskatoon, on a warm sunny summer day, with lots of uni girls walkin around is how I remember it...:lol:
  • Options
    Ya, the river/downtwon area of Saskatoon, on a warm sunny summer day, with lots of uni girls walkin around is how I remember it...:lol:

ya I live in the interior of BC so I have very little to truly complain about. You should see me when I have to come to edmonton for work in the winter, a bigger wuss you have never seen hahahahahahaha

• Options
    jordan k wrote:

ya I live in the interior of BC so I have very little to truly complain about. You should see me when I have to come to edmonton for work in the winter, a bigger wuss you have never seen hahahahahahaha
    :lol: ya, the older I get, the more I dislike winter here... Calgary's weather sucks, but at least they have the mountains....Saskatchewan...the lakes up north are nice to visit, but the whole province is just too remote for me.....I lived in the BC interior for a couple years (OK valley), and disliked the isolation there too...3 hours to a major city was too much for me...it's grown since I was there, and my priorities have changed...I'd live there again in a heartbeat if I could.
    Actually, if Saskatoon doesn't get a show, I hope YOU guys get one. Kelowna would rule and the drive isn't that much further for me.
  • Options

You are half right I guess. We do have a few "confirmed" dates - Montreal 9/7, Hamilton 9/15, Winnipeg 9/17 and Edmonton 9/23.

That said, it is shocking that Toronto dates haven't leaked yet. Shocked.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,489
    I wan't a weekend date to be able to make it up to Canada ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....