Options

Project #8 - The Whispers of War: Riot Act Live

Comments

• Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    tremors wrote:
    Cropduster - Nashville, April 18th 2003!

Sorry do we already have a Cropduster? :(
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    Cropduster - Nashville, April 18th 2003!

Sorry do we already have a Cropduster? :(

I'm listening to both and be right back ;) .
  • Options
    DazzlerDazzler Grimsby, UK Posts: 109
    A few more suggestions...

Know Your Rights - Melbourne 20/02 (first attempt, very raw)
    Love Boat Captain - Las vegas 06/06 (vocal stretch at the 2:57 marker! Original low vocals ending)
    Green Disease - Dallas 09/06 (very solid version, correct lyrics)

Glad you liked All Or None!
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    Is 5 bonus songs too many??

Would it still fit on 1 CD ?

Not sure, but I think so.
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    Have listened to a lot of versions of I am Mine - and the one I am liking most is

Oklahoma City - April 3rd 2003

• Options
    glbglb Posts: 356
    edited February 2011
    I'm not at a location where I can go listen to it, but I remember love boat captain from nashville being good. I think it was like the third song.

Edit: it was the second song
    Post edited by glb on
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Options
    Ghost - West Palm Beach, Florida, April 11th 2003.

Great version!

• Options
    glb wrote:
    I'm not at a location where I can go listen to it, but I remember love boat captain from nashville being good. I think it was like the third song.

Nashville was sounding really good to my ears when I listened earlier - Ed in great voice. Will check that one out. Thanks

• Options
    Working tracklist updated....

Give "Know Your Rights" from Uniondale a listen. This was the show where a bunch of turds started booing Eddie. This version of this song is particularly fired up and angry. Let me know what you think.
  • Options
    Let me know where we are at with "Cropduster" and "LBC"?
  • Options

I took a break from LBC to give a listen to Cropduster. The one we've got rocks more. Yet the alternative one (Nashville) has an interesting 'spin' in the music at the beginning. I tend to like this one better for it is more unusual. But the unrelated talking at the end needs to be cut off.

Back to LBC, will check the suggestions.
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    Is 5 bonus songs too many??

As long as it fits ... it's not too many :D
  • Options
    myra wrote:

I took a break from LBC to give a listen to Cropduster. The one we've got rocks more. Yet the alternative one (Nashville) has an interesting 'spin' in the music at the beginning. I tend to like this one better for it is more unusual. But the unrelated talking at the end needs to be cut off.

Cool!
  • Options
    Here are the versions of You Are that I liked the most:

Cleveland 2003-04-25
    Mexico City 2003-07-18

I like Mexico City a little better. There is a small "mistake" in lyrics but otherwise this version is great.
    Darkness comes in waves,... tell me, why invite it to stay?
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    myra wrote:

As long as it fits ... it's not too many :D

Yeah we have a lot to choose from on this tour - so we may as well cram them in!

I have had to take a break from listening for a bit. Didn't get much further than Cropduster, Ghost and I am Mine.

Will try and get my ears back together shortly

• Options
    edited February 2011
    mocik wrote:
    Here are the versions of You Are that I liked the most:

Cleveland 2003-04-25
    Mexico City 2003-07-18

I like Mexico City a little better. There is a small "mistake" in lyrics but otherwise this version is great.

Wow, thanks for your efforts Mocik ! :thumbup:

Edit :

Have listened to both. They're really great. I agree with you on Mexico City. I think I like this one better too. It's trippy ! Much much more so than the studio version.
    Post edited by myra on
  • Options
    Seems like we are making excellent progress. Where have we got to? Are we trying to narrow down LBC and Cropduster, and also gather suggestions for the remaining gaps?

Anyone out there got any strong suggestions for the 'Riot Act' gaps??

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Seems like we are making excellent progress. Where have we got to? Are we trying to narrow down LBC and Cropduster, and also gather suggestions for the remaining gaps?

Would you listen to those three and tell me what you think ?

1.LBC - Sydney, 2003/02/11
    2.LBC - Las Vegas, 2003/06/06
    3. LBC - Nashville, 2003/04/18

1. -> I tend to think this one sounds better. Really tight and it really rocks. At the end, it makes you go like 'awwwww this is soooo goood' if you know what I mean.
    2. -> Let's face it, this one starts being interesting with Ed being a bit behind midway through it :lol: , yet, as usual, he makes up for it by getting away from the original lyrics like 'that's totally what I meant to do in the first place' and that's quite fun actually.
    3. -> This one is not outstanding as it is. It's really good, but not outstanding. What's cool though is the sing-along at the end, but that's probably because I'm a sucker for sing-alongs and I get biased.

So I'd go for Sydney, but it's well worth a fresh listen.
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

1. -> I tend to think this one sounds better. Really tight and it really rocks. At the end, it makes you go like 'awwwww this is soooo goood' if you know what I mean.
    2. -> Let's face it, this one starts being interesting with Ed being a bit behind midway through it :lol: , yet, as usual, he makes up for it by getting away from the original lyrics like 'that's totally what I meant to do in the first place' and that's quite fun actually.
    3. -> This one is not outstanding as it is. It's really good, but not outstanding. What's cool though is the sing-along at the end, but that's probably because I'm a sucker for sing-alongs and I get biased.

OK, thanks for the pointers - I will listen to these shortly.

• Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Have listened to these three - and I agree with you - I like Sydney best - whilst the others have their charms, I think Sydney is the most solid, a very uplifting version, and a great guitar solo from Mike. So yeah, Sydney for me.

Will have a listen to the two Cropdusters shortly

• Options

Give "Know Your Rights" from Uniondale a listen. This was the show where a bunch of turds started booing Eddie. This version of this song is particularly fired up and angry. Let me know what you think.

It suits the song quite well. :D The difference with the Tokyo version is ... striking :lol: .
    I'm not so keen on the Japanese boots. Wherever is the crowd ??
  • Options
    myra wrote:

It suits the song quite well. :D The difference with the Tokyo version is ... striking :lol: .

I'm not sure if there was anyone in the audience in Japan :lol:

I think the Japanese stuff is very raw, quite thin sounding sonically - and not very uplifting, but its rawness has its appeal for me.

I have been struck by going through these boots how the songs get more and more uplifting as the tour progresses, and certain songs become much more 'anthemic' than they are on the studio album. Part of the appeal for me of the studio album though is it's rawness - like Ghost - goes right through me with the guitar and vocals. When I heard the Japanese Ghost though, it was just a bit too pained. Certain songs though are better staying not as anthems. I think the Nashville boot has a certain something - very rich sounding, and mournful , but not so stripped bare. I have a feeling there might be a gem lurking in Nashville for one of the other RIot Act gaps.

Right am going to have some more listening now

• Options
    DazzlerDazzler Grimsby, UK Posts: 109
    What about Get Right from Mansfield 1

And Help Help from Hershey?
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    myra wrote:

I think the Japanese stuff is very raw, quite thin sounding sonically - and not very uplifting, but its rawness has its appeal for me.

I have been struck by going through these boots how the songs get more and more uplifting as the tour progresses, and certain songs become much more 'anthemic' than they are on the studio album. Part of the appeal for me of the studio album though is it's rawness - like Ghost - goes right through me with the guitar and vocals. When I heard the Japanese Ghost though, it was just a bit too pained. Certain songs though are better staying not as anthems. I think the Nashville boot has a certain something - very rich sounding, and mournful , but not so stripped bare. I have a feeling there might be a gem lurking in Nashville for one of the other RIot Act gaps.

It's funny 'cause I thought the Japanese boots sounded more 'polished' (but I haven't really listened to them from beginning to end, only in bits), as if they thought : well, the crowd is not going to scream all over the place so let's do this nice and clean and it'll make great boots :lol:
  • Options
    myra wrote:

Have listened to the two Cropduster suggestions - and I am favouring Nashville. I think the existing one is a great powerful rocking version - but Nashville keeps some of the desperation which I find in the studio version too. Cropduster is one of my all time favourite PJ songs, and the Nashville version is doing it for me!

• Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    myra wrote:

It's funny 'cause I thought the Japanese boots sounded more 'polished' (but I haven't really listened to them from beginning to end, only in bits), as if they thought : well, the crowd is not going to scream all over the place so let's do this nice and clean and it'll make great boots :lol:

Well just goes to show.... we all hear different. I hear quite a lot of anguish in the Japanese performances of key songs, which becomes more anthemic as the tour progresses - but I haven't listened properly all through for years - just been refamiliarising myself today. There's certainly some different sounds coming out of the different Continents. So many shows to choose from....! This might be a good year to pick for going through some of the rest of the back catalogue in a future project.

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Dazzler wrote:

And Help Help from Hershey?

Listening to it at the moment, and comparing it with the Adelaide version that was suggested earlier on. They're pretty different. I need to give them both another listen.

Edit :
    At first, Adelaide's sound seems better.
    But Hershey ... wow. This version is so powerful and deep it's haunting. Got stuck on repeat and I can't move on. :?
    Post edited by myra on
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,013
    Save You from Osaka Japan! This was paired at the end of the set with Porch, A cracking version. Give it a listen!!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    BrainofBGA wrote:
    Save You from Osaka Japan! This was paired at the end of the set with Porch, A cracking version. Give it a listen!!

Like it! :thumbup:

• Options
    myra wrote:

+1

The Japanese Boots sound like studio recordings. Don't get me wrong the band is on fire, but the crowd....

Meh...

I guess that I am too spoiled listening to those European Boots for the last (almost) 20 years. The lack of crowd participation just doesn't do it for me. It's like that old saying about masterb.... nevermind.

Anyway, if the people on this board want the Japanese boots to be represented, then who am I to say no that they can't be. I just think that a crowd has the power to make an average into a great show, and to make a great show into an average show.