Sister is in a Abusive relationship ...

123457»

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    _ wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    do try to wear red I'm wearing green I'm, we're part Irish way back when.
    Red undies of course 8-)

Not long ago I heard of a young woman's story here in Atlanta. She was on a populated public street. She was crying, screaming, pleading for help.
    She was being beaten by an estranged boyfriend ..no one responded to her pleas.
    They walked by.
    They hide themselves in nearby cars or in their homes safe and sound for fear of being injured and because they did not want to become involved,
    or heaven forbid make the situation worse :?

Yes they called 911 but unfortunately she was dead and the perp was gone by the time they got there. I never heard he was apprehended.

My feeling on this is
    it is better to leave this world a hero then live on wishing you had been one.

That at times of life and death we must step in and save another human being,
    even a total stranger, even using brut force,
    because surely they will lose their life if we don't.

Some people are heros and some people are not.
    Some people react with emotion and gut in impeding danger.
    Some people hide and do nothing filled with apathy and fear,
    others rely on logic and will safely call in someone of authority,
    even though minutes lost may insure the victim dies.

I know heros...people who will not look the other way. People who will risk their life
    to save another. My son is a one of them.... he is hero.

If that was any of our loved ones I'm sure we would all want to have a hero nearby.
    And we would be very thankful that someone saved our loved one,
    that they had the courage to step up and do the right thing to save another human life....

because as sure as anything she was going to be beaten to death ......
    and yes...... eventually she was.

'in my opinion'

A. This example is irrelevant. We're not talking about stepping in to defend someone who is being beaten at that moment, whose life is in immediate danger. That's a totally different thing. (If you don't believe me, ask the law.)

B. This post is offensive and myopic. Please stop calling people who use their brains cowards. It's getting old.

C. You made me wonder: If someone's sister gets killed because he beat up her boyfriend (when she was not in immediate danger or even around), would he still be a hero? Would he be complicit in her death?
    Wow bit'o dash you always miss my point :?

I didn't call anyone anything... kind of defensive

just talking about heros....
    I admire heros and I see a need for them, that is all
    We are all like a big family...the human race, we all need each other.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    pandora wrote:

Well I agree that I admire heroes. And I'd define a hero as someone who uses violence only as a last possible resort in any situation, who uses his brain to figure out the best thing to do instead of just reacting recklessly & with a false sense of security, and who respects the rights & perspectives of others - especially the people he loves.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    _ wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Well I agree that I admire heroes. And I'd define a hero as someone who uses violence only as a last possible resort in any situation, who uses his brain to figure out the best thing to do instead of just reacting recklessly & with a false sense of security, and who respects the rights & perspectives of others - especially the people he loves.
    so true... last resort to save someone you love or is in a life and death situation.... we totally agree then :D
  • pandora wrote:
    It's hard for me to believe 41 years later, since my sisters experience, men are still beating women.
    What's it gonna take?

I don't know... but certainly NOT MORE VIOLENCE. The fact that so many on this thread are strongly urging someone from our little community to go out and risk his life... and the life of his sister... by committing a criminal act and an of violence on someone is HIGHLY disturbing.

The majority of comments on here are disturbing (and wrong) to me on so many levels I don't have time to get into it. I am a Social Worker who has worked with many abused women and children... you guys have the whole thing twisted... but you don't want to hear it. Hopefully as a community you don't end up with johnnyguitarwatson's blood on your hands... if it turns out poorly it will be one fucked up day when his family realizes he (and or she) ended up dead due to what a bunch of morons on a Pearl Jam message board told him to do.

So much for evolution, baby...
This discussion has been closed.