Winter Storm - 2012

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    my first snow storm since moving to chicago. all my friends and family in NYC were getting pounded, i felt left out!

luckily / unluckily i live just a few blocks from my job, so no need to be on the road or deal with mass transit delays... i am able to walk. looked as if the city did a good job plowing the downtown area, and all the businesses / apartment buildings i had to walk past did a good job shoveling their side walks. so my trip to work was pretty uneventful.

heard about the guy falling into the lake. how does that happen?
  • well the snow is still coming down hard. had tons of freezing rain and scarry howling winds last night. I think overall it's at about 5-6 inches right now but getting more. Hope everyone is ok and please don't go overboard and take breaks if you're shoveling..
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • Gibson72Gibson72 Posts: 1,245
    Toronto area got about 1ft of snow & still snowing all day...
    So.............. I am lying on the couch with my 4 year old ready to watch Imagine in Cornice.
    He likes it because I have the same strat as Stone during Evenflow.
    Gibson1972
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Snow turned to sleet to turned to rain making for horrible shoveling and building collapses here in New England.

photo-34.jpg

Photo above is the facility where the unlost dogs have trained in agility for the past several years. The whole thing collapsed last week. You can see the blue and yellow tire (that my dogs first learned on) knocked over, and the weave poles beside them. No word yet on how badly damage was to the rest of the equipment, which was buried in the bubble's membrane and snow.

Nobody was inside at the time, which is astonishing considering the number of classes and private lessons that go on every day. My heart aches for my trainer, who is the kindest, sweetest person...

Same situation in the photo below, which I just received from a friend in Connecticut. This is a formerly lovely barn in Glastonbury, CT, where we have competed at agility trials in the past. Guess we won't be there this year... again, no people or animals inside at the time.

IMG00180-20110202-1133.jpg
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Apparently it's a state of emergency in Chicago, and no one's allowed to drive...but I still had to come to work. Thank God for public transportation! :mrgreen:
    It's like the Zombie Apocalypse out there...I've never seen the city streets so empty.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Chicago O'Hare official total is 20.2"

Most other areas around the city got in the 18 to 22" range.

Tom Skilling has been predicting 16" to 24" for days, so they were pretty much dead on.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    there was a little frost on my windshield this morning...this weather is brutal! ;) :P

hang in there folks :D
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Jesus this shit looks brutal. Be safe everyone!
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Chicago O'Hare official total is 20.2"

Most other areas around the city got in the 18 to 22" range.

Tom Skilling has been predicting 16" to 24" for days, so they were pretty much dead on.

Skilling knows his weather!!
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    We didn't get much snow but a lot of ice. Without power all day until just a few minutes ago.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Flagg wrote:
    We didn't get much snow but a lot of ice. Without power all day until just a few minutes ago.

YOOOO IM COMING TO YOU TOMORROW AFTERNOON...GONNA BE NICE ON THE WEEKEND I SEE :mrgreen:

I'LL BE AT THE HYATT ...COME ON OVER WE'LL GO FOR DRINKS ON ME
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Do walking to Grand Central Station... All of a sudden huge ice balls (size of small pets) start pounding the sidewalk!!

Guy next next to me gets hit in the head and is knocked out... Dove behind truck.. People running and screaming...

Ice falling off 60 story office building...

NY is fun :?
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Do walking to Grand Central Station... All of a sudden huge ice balls (size of small pets) start pounding the sidewalk!!

Guy next next to me gets hit in the head and is knocked out... Dove behind truck.. People running and screaming...

we're all roped off down here..the building's are raining ice balls :shock:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Do walking to Grand Central Station... All of a sudden huge ice balls (size of small pets) start pounding the sidewalk!!

aren't you suppose to be in a meeting.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Fuck me.....

Her car was just FUCKING BURIED in the driveway this morning....Just FUCKING BURIED.....
    I dug out my car....Moved it across the street....So the plows could do our side of the street....
    Dug out most of our walkway.....
    Then took a look at how much snow needed to be moved in order to get her car.......

I am now the proud owner of a pretty new, shiny red, snow blower.....hehehehehehe
    We went thru that driveway in no time....FUCK YEAH!!!!!!

The villiage of River Grove is doing a kick ass job of plowing the main street and the side streets....They have been down my street 5-6 times today......

Home Depot was a ghost town....There were 4-5 cars in the entire parking lot....The people who worked there were kind of shocked when Kathy and I walked in when we did....hehe

I looked at one of the salesman and said...."SO.....Ya got any snow blowers"???????

He just started laughing.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,988
    Right on Speedy!

You can use the snow blower in the summer to scatter peat moss in the neighbors "new" garden plot!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    were you wearing your pj20 beanie? ;) :P
  • norm wrote:
    were you wearing your pj20 beanie? ;) :P
    No....

As a matter of fact I was wearing Kathys head band, ear muffs, thingamajiggy.......

The neighbors were giving me funny looks....hehehehe
    Flagg wrote:

YOOOO IM COMING TO YOU TOMORROW AFTERNOON...GONNA BE NICE ON THE WEEKEND I SEE :mrgreen:

Yeah the ice should be gone by tomorrow. Right now it is still here.

hahaha - which Hyatt?
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Fuck me.....

Her car was just FUCKING BURIED in the driveway this morning....Just FUCKING BURIED.....
    I dug out my car....Moved it across the street....So the plows could do our side of the street....
    Dug out most of our walkway.....
    Then took a look at how much snow needed to be moved in order to get her car.......

I am now the proud owner of a pretty new, shiny red, snow blower.....hehehehehehe
    We went thru that driveway in no time....FUCK YEAH!!!!!!

The villiage of River Grove is doing a kick ass job of plowing the main street and the side streets....They have been down my street 5-6 times today......

Home Depot was a ghost town....There were 4-5 cars in the entire parking lot....The people who worked there were kind of shocked when Kathy and I walked in when we did....hehe

I looked at one of the salesman and said...."SO.....Ya got any snow blowers"???????

He just started laughing.....

Wow
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • So the guy next door, has finally showed his face today...hehehehehe

He has his $1000.00 snow blower out.....
    He has his little yellow raincoat and matching bottoms (Yeah just like the one YOUR MOMMY made you wear in grade school)........
    His wife is out there filming him doing the driveway.......

My question???
    Where was that PRICK 6-8 hours ago???? hehehehehehehehehe
    Flagg wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Yeah the ice should be gone by tomorrow. Right now it is still here.

hahaha - which Hyatt?

my bro just sent a picture..i might as well bring my skates :lol:

regency hyatt... or reunion... lol i don't even know... the main one downtown
    So the guy next door, has finally showed his face today...hehehehehe

He has his little yellow raincoat and matching bottoms (Yeah just like the one YOUR MOMMY made you wear in grade school)........

My question???

crazy...there are a few people still out there doing driveways. we didn't get going until about 9:30. drive way took about 1.5 hours. started to do the sidewalk, did 15 ft and said fuck it. not a bad decision, becuase there is now 8ft of snow from teh snow plow guys at teh end of the sidewalk. (corner lot)

we had a good process. one of us would knock the snow down with a shovel and the other would blow it. my snow blower doesn't do 3 ft piles very well. the snow was deeper than the top of the discharge shoot. :lol:

neightbor's mailbox is gone. ours was jacked up a little from getting clobbered by the plow guy.

good times
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    So the guy next door, has finally showed his face today...hehehehehe

My question???

crazy...there are a few people still out there doing driveways. we didn't get going until about 9:30. drive way took about 1.5 hours. started to do the sidewalk, did 15 ft and said fuck it. not a bad decision, becuase there is now 8ft of snow from teh snow plow guys at teh end of the sidewalk. (corner lot)

we had a good process. one of us would knock the snow down with a shovel and the other would blow it. my snow blower doesn't do 3 ft piles very well. the snow was deeper than the top of the discharge shoot. :lol:

neightbor's mailbox is gone. ours was jacked up a little from getting clobbered by the plow guy.

good times
    I had no chioice but to buy an electric snow blower for $250......It couldnt get through the big stuff either, but once we broke it all down, it did the trick......

Would have rather of had the gas blower...But they were all sold out....Oh well....
    no suprise they were sold out. i was in lowes monday night and they still had a half dozen or more on teh display floor. bet they are gone now.

i'm buying a new one next year. the engine in my sounds like its ready to blow up at times.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,988
    81 wrote:
    no suprise they were sold out. i was in lowes monday night and they still had a half dozen or more on teh display floor. bet they are gone now.

i'm buying a new one next year. the engine in my sounds like its ready to blow up at times.

buy one next week. Used. Should be able to pick up one of the many from folks who buy and dispose regularly
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • 81 wrote:

One of the few advantages of living in an apartment....no driveway to shovel. Although I did have to shovel a path from our front door to the sidewalk. Now we're just waiting on the city to start plowing the side streets. Until that happens......my car isn't goin anywhere.
    my car isn't goin anywhere until spring.

fixed. :lol:

i hear they have a metra station around the corner from your office. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Flagg wrote:
    That sucks! Reminds of last February when our power was off for 3 days. We've had rolling blackouts throughout the day today but power was only off for 15-30 minutes at a time.

We're still spending a lot of time just sitting in front of the fireplace.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • A powerful snow blower is a thing of beauty.
    Hold On