Winter Storm - 2012

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    My business (Red Cross) never closes, but I can leave because I'm non-essential (HR) personnel. I don't work in the lab that needs to get the blood tested and available for use.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I'm non-essential (HR)

i smell an HR joke in their somewhere.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:
    I'm non-essential (HR)

I know that didn't come out right :lol:

I just saw this on CNN

"Do not travel! Stay inside!" the National Weather Service warned. "Strong winds and blinding snow will make travel nearly impossible. This is a life threatening storm."
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    81 wrote:
    I'm non-essential (HR)

No joke. Just Waffle's honest truth. But hey, I just got another raise!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • 2 hours to get to work this morning in Albany (usually about 25 minutes)...

But we are shutting down tomorrow! SNOW DAY!!! woohoo...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    still waiting.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I start work in an hour and a half.....

When I walk in I am telling Mr. Boss....

The second the snow starts falling, I dont give a fuck how much work there is, how much freight there is...
    I am turning my semi around and bringing it in.....

And I dont give a rats ass what his response is......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • 81 wrote:
    still waiting.....

Rumor has it that they are sending us home early at 1 pm and our whole corporate campus might be closed tomorrow. They better close up tomorrow. I already told my manager there is no chance I am getting in my car and attempting to drive out to Deerfield tomorrow.
    81 wrote:
    still waiting.....

Rumor has it that they are sending us home early at 1 pm and our whole corporate campus might be closed tomorrow. They better close up tomorrow. I already told my manager there is no chance I am getting in my car and attempting to drive out to Deerfield tomorrow.

I'm betting i know your employer. :lol:

i keep waiting for the closing email...still nothing.

i highly doubt there will be work tommorrow...i'm just hopeing the early closure rumors are going to come true.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    snow is here.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    still waiting.....

I'm betting i know your employer. :lol:

i keep waiting for the closing email...still nothing.

i highly doubt there will be work tommorrow...i'm just hopeing the early closure rumors are going to come true.

Ha. Everyone knows my employer once I say Deerfield.

They sent us home at 2pm and I made it back to the city by 3. Not bad at all. Now it's time to hibernate for a couple days...
  • Soooo... my office is in NYC, my company's US headquarters is in Stamford CT... My regional boss calls for a senior management meeting tomorrow in Stanford... 50 miles from my house... Not cancelling it... Even though reports are we are going to get bombarded... He's awesome.

So do I
    A. Go into city (take bus, if running) and then train it up for afternoon meeting

OR

B. Wait it out and potentially miss it because roads are like ice skating rinks.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Soooo... my office is in NYC, my company's US headquarters is in Stamford CT... My regional boss calls for a senior management meeting tomorrow in Stanford... 50 miles from my house... Not cancelling it... Even though reports are we are going to get bombarded... He's awesome.

So do I
    A. Go into city (take bus, if running) and then train it up for afternoon meeting

OR

B. Wait it out and potentially miss it because roads are like ice skating rinks.

tell your boss about the internet...it's 2011...video teleconferencing isn't just for the starship enterprise anymore
  • norm wrote:
    Soooo... my office is in NYC, my company's US headquarters is in Stamford CT... My regional boss calls for a senior management meeting tomorrow in Stanford... 50 miles from my house... Not cancelling it... Even though reports are we are going to get bombarded... He's awesome.

So do I

OR

tell your boss about the internet...it's 2011...video teleconferencing isn't just for the starship enterprise anymore
    He hates video conferences :evil: ]
    But thank you for trying
    GoiMTvP.gif
    He hates video conferences :evil: ]
    But thank you for trying

what an asshole

hopefully for you the trains, roads etc will be shutdown
  • I'm just glad to have tomorrow off... not buying the hype though
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    BD you could either:

A: drive out in the snow, and any damage to your person, the vehicle, any meals, hotel room, ice scrapers, tow truck, mileage (I think it's $0.58/mile) etc should be charged to your expense report

or

B: take the train, and start your time clock as soon as you step out the door, charge him for commute time (round trip), any fares incured, meals, hotel, etc.

really...I cannot believe businesses that ignore the weather reports that say 'PLEASE STAY HOME and keep the roads clear for the road crews' The snow here is so unpredictable and last time it snowed really bad, my boss made everybody stay till closing time even though clients stopped coming at 2pm....he paid for 8 people to stay 5 hours for nothing. It took me over 3 hours to drive 24 miles home. :evil:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 4and20 wrote:
    BD you could either:

A: drive out in the snow, and any damage to your person, the vehicle, any meals, hotel room, ice scrapers, tow truck, mileage (I think it's $0.58/mile) etc should be charged to your expense report

or

B: take the train, and start your time clock as soon as you step out the door, charge him for commute time (round trip), any fares incured, meals, hotel, etc.

really...I cannot believe businesses that ignore the weather reports that say 'PLEASE STAY HOME and keep the roads clear for the road crews' The snow here is so unpredictable and last time it snowed really bad, my boss made everybody stay till closing time even though clients stopped coming at 2pm....he paid for 8 people to stay 5 hours for nothing. It took me over 3 hours to drive 24 miles home. :evil:
    Yes.... me likey... or if I do get run off the road and die, my wife gets double indemnity :think: :shock:
    GoiMTvP.gif

They sent us home at 2pm and I made it back to the city by 3. Not bad at all. Now it's time to hibernate for a couple days...

the Bulls....eh...it was the campus comment that got me.

you made good time. took me about 50 minutes to drive across schaumburg. 7.5 miles. first gear most of the way. :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

So do I

OR

people are nuts.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    good stuff out there.

just ran the snow blower so the gf can get up the drive, if and when she gets home.

woof....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

the Bulls....eh...it was the campus comment that got me.

you made good time. took me about 50 minutes to drive across schaumburg. 7.5 miles. first gear most of the way. :x

ha...I wish I worked for the Bulls. I think I'd enjoy my employee discount a bit more if that were the case.

I was shocked by the time I made. My gf works in Northbrook and left at 3 to head back here and she's still stuck on the Edens. It's nasty out there.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,221
    Gas for the blower

Or the Girl Blower is also a must ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    It took my gf over two hours to get home from union station....they were sardinibg poeple and than her train crapped out by wood dale.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Soooooo . . . .

I live in North Texas, where we may have snow 2-3 times a year. We have about the same number of ice storms, which are much worse. Really shuts things down because we don't have snowplows around here and nobody knows how to drive on it.

Last night it started sleeting and snowing and the temperature dropped down into the 20s. Schools and businesses closed today while the temp went down to 18. It's supposed to get in the single digits tonight and not get above freezing till some time Friday. News coverage is showing mayhem on the highways. Most places are closing tomorrow too.

The Super Bowl will be here this weekend for the first time ever. I live less than 10 miles from JerryWorld. All we've heard about for the past few months is what a big deal this is going to be. Now the whole area is freakin paralyzed. People from Green Bay and Pittsburgh must be laughing their asses off.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Ice is the worst...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Ice is the worst...
    Snow I can deal with. I learned years ago not to risk my life trying to drive to work on icy streets.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • 81 wrote:
    Ice is the worst...
    Slipped on the freaking ice this morning and need an Xray of my spine and elbow now. The ice can bite me! :twisted: Of course there was only rain at work :roll: Hope everyone stays safe and warm! :)
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    Bring it on God! I can take it.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    81 wrote:
    Ice is the worst...
    Slipped on the freaking ice this morning and need an Xray of my spine and elbow now. The ice can bite me! :twisted: Of course there was only rain at work :roll: Hope everyone stays safe and warm! :)

:(

stop doing that ;)