Jeff Ament spoke to my class yesterday

Comments

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    thanks for sharing that, very cool!
  • you know, leave it to some people to always call foul

no wonder why Pearl Jam fans have a bad rep outside the "circle of fans"

some of you people are just plain jerks

I have no reason whatsoever not to believe this person and neither do any of you.

well, I guess there's no reason why he WOULDN'T do a talk at a school. He's done plenty of other lectures before.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    thanks for sharing that, very cool!

No problem..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650
    He's done plenty of other lectures before.
    He has?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    awesome reading!...thx for sharing this with us
  • Poncier wrote:
    He has?

Well, alright then, he and Eddie gave a lecture to some people in Seattle once. Outside the gas works. :D
    Did anyone actually read the entire passage? That's some mean note taking skills..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • 4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,224
    i dont believe you. Your here to start rumors, right?

Just kidding, thats awesome.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• didnt you, like, start crying when he walked in?
    drowning, drinking the light
    god's eyes are closed, just like yours
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    The Champ wrote:
    No problem..
    i wasn't talkin about you fool haha

that was neat to read jeff's perspective on stuff :)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    The Champ wrote:
    Did anyone actually read the entire passage? That's some mean note taking skills..

students going for their master's better have good note taking skills :D
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    very cool. thanks for sharing you lucky bastard!
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    don't ya just love unexpected suprises?
    thanks for sharing.
    Nice shirt.
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Hey everyone!

I’m a first-time poster here. I’m mostly a lurker over at Red Mosquito but that message board’s been down for several days.

There you have it. Hope you enjoyed.

- Evil Beaver
    dude...thanks for posting this. i read it slowly because i didn't want your post to end.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
    students going for their master's better have good note taking skills :D

I'm in grad school, but unfortunately lack those skills. Thank God most professors give guided notes these days..maybe Jeff did as well..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Here's the deal... I WANT to believe you, but the fact is that EVERYTHING you mentioned has already been talked about.

In a classroom full of students worthy enough of a lecture from Jeff, SURELY someone if not everyone took pictures or audio recordings of this.

If not then you will continue to be doubted.

But at the same time there are some people in here that are awfully quick to assume it really happened.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Thanks for sharing all that!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Here's the deal... I WANT to believe you, but the fact is that EVERYTHING you mentioned has already been talked about.

In a classroom full of students worthy enough of a lecture from Jeff, SURELY someone if not everyone took pictures or audio recordings of this.

But at the same time there are some people in here that are awfully quick to assume it really happened.
    wow. i bet you think the feds listen to your thoughts too, eh?

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    thanks for posting...an excellent read...good note taking.

cheers
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    Here's the deal... I WANT to believe you, but the fact is that EVERYTHING you mentioned has already been talked about.

I guess probably because I'm of the belief that people are good and so why wouldn't I believe the story, maybe I'm naive but I have no reason not to

do you really think somebody went to that all trouble just to piss people off

I find that very hard to believe

Why is it hard to believe? Lou does it all day long ;)..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • I guess probably because I'm of the belief that people are good and so why wouldn't I believe the story, maybe I'm naive but I have no reason not to

You don't remember the "Jeff stole my basketball story"?

People will go to great lengths for lots of reasons, but again let me stress that i'm not saying it didn't happen - there's just lots of reasons to have doubt.

DarkStar wrote:
    wow. i bet you think the feds listen to your thoughts too, eh?

ds

And I have no idea what this means.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Absolutely a great post and very informative; thank you kindly.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    bostonlou
    you don't know how old you were in 93?

and now you're in college at 30+?

14 year plan huh?

dont let mr negative get you down

great post
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
    smile05 wrote:
    bostonlou
    you don't know how old you were in 93?

and now you're in college at 30+?

14 year plan huh?

dont let mr negative get you down

great post

What the hell happened to your quote button in this attempt?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • I guess probably because I'm of the belief that people are good and so why wouldn't I believe the story, maybe I'm naive but I have no reason not to

Well someone else above said what I was already thinking. I like your theory that most people are good and like I said before, why wouldn't he do a speech? But it's worth pondering.

I like the way you think, though.
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600

what quote button??am i missing something
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Hey everyone!

I’m a first-time poster here. I’m mostly a lurker over at Red Mosquito but that message board’s been down for several days.

Anyway, something happened yesterday that I just can’t keep to myself. I’m a life-long Pearl Jam fan who’s seen them numerous times dating back to 1993 and as recently as two shows in 2006, but I won’t bore you with any more fandom stories …

Anyway, I’m currently a student at the University of Montana and we had a guest speaker in my Entertainment Management class yesterday (Oct. 23) and it was none other Jeff Ament. All semester our syllabus had listed “Featuring Special Guest TBA” and we were not told who it was until he walked into our classroom.

He spoke for almost an hour and a half and fielded questions for most of that time. Jeff is originally from Montana and keeps a home around the Missoula area, where the University of Montana is located.

Anyway, knowing that I was witnessing something rare, I started taking notes and thought I’d share what Jeff had to say to our class. There was no media present, and I think his appearance was kept secret so that there wouldn't be a circus.

These are paraphrased comments, so don’t interpret this as direct quotes. He was very candid, and I don’t think he’d mind me sharing this, otherwise I wouldn’t post it.

- The first real gig Jeff ever played was with some friends at a bar in downtown Missoula called the “Top Hat.”

- He was an art student here for a short time in the early 80s before dropping out and moving to Seattle to start his music career.

- He said he had only $60 to his name when he arrived in Seattle.

- Because he was speaking to an entertainment management class, he said networking was vital to his career. He described having a network of about 150 people in the Seattle punk scene.

- Jeff said Pearl Jam has maintained a lot of control over their work through the years and has never really worked with any heavy-handed producers.

- He talked a little bit about the evolving music industry and mentioned that some producers and managers are steering their bands toward providing music for commercials. For some bands it’s hard to turn down that kind of money. He said Pearl Jam is fortunate that it hasn’t had to do that and he said the band is approached all the time about providing material for ads, but they turn them down.

- Jeff was asked about how Pearl Jam formed and he told a short story about picking Ed up at the airport and going directly into a room and playing music for five or six hours, then they shared a bottle of wine and immediately started to get to know each other. He said at that point he and Stone wanted to be in a band that was serious about music and wasn’t about partying all the time and getting chicks. He said Pearl Jam was all business right from the get-go.

- He said there are three members of the band who are “super heavily opinionated.” He did not elaborate, but I’m sure you can guess who those three are.

- He said the band is very good to its crew, which numbers between 40 and 50 during tours. He says they have profit-sharing programs and some of the crew members who have been around for a long time have made good livings.

- He said “Stone and I have our own little language” because they’ve collaborated together for so long. He says this sometimes confuses other band members during jams or the music-writing process.

- Jeff noted that he used to do all the artwork for the band but it became too demanding as they rose to fame. He said the record company would call him some days and say “we need artwork for the single – you’ve got two days” and then he decided he couldn’t do it all anymore.

- He talked a bit about his upbringing in Big Sandy, Montana and that being a “jock, a punk rocker and a basketball player” didn’t go well together. He drew a lot of laughter when he said this.

- He said the names “Mookie Blaylock” and “Pearl Jam” were last-minute names. Somebody asked him how they came up with Pearl Jam and it was interesting to hear his explanation after it was such a secret for so many years. He told the same story that’s only recently come to light. He said many names were floating around and everyone in the band liked “Pearl” and thought something needed to go with it. Then Ed, Stone and Jeff went to New York to sign a deal with Sony/Epic and they went to a Neil Young show where Young only played about eight songs but they were all “20 minute jams.” Jeff said he thinks he said suggested “how about Jam?” to Ed and Stone and that’s how it was added to make Pearl Jam.

- He added a funny anecdote to this story. Three years later when Pearl Jam played the Bridge School Benefit and met Neil Young for the first time Young showed up in a ’55 Cadillac with a customized license plate that said “Pearl 10.” It was a total coincidence, but it gave the band members shivers.

- Jeff thinks YouTube is great and doesn’t mind seeing Pearl Jam stuff up there. He just hopes that a five minute video of him playing with his fly unzipped never shows up there.

- He talked about the band’s official bootlegs and told a funny story about being in a record store in New York years ago before MP3s were around and REAL BOOTLEGED COPIES of their shows were being sold for $30 or $40. He said there were three rows of Pearl Jam bootlegs and Mike McCready grabbed a copy of each one, walked up to the cash register and said something to the effect of, “I’m in this band. You are selling these illegally and I’m taking them and there’s nothing you can do about it.” Everyone in our class laughed, and I don’t know how much of that story is true, and how much of it is a joke or whether Mike really walked out with them.

- Jeff was asked about fame and said that Pearl Jam really got big here in the states when they were touring in Europe for the first time and it caught them by surprise when they got home. He said when the band got back from Europe they played a show in Columbus, Ohio for a pretty big crowd by their standards at the time. He said that after the show the band could barely get to their bus because so many people were loitering outside wanting to meet them. That’s when they first realized that their music was catching on.

- He said the whole Nirvana feud was generated by the media, and there was a time when they couldn’t get through an interview without a reporter pushing the issue. He said it got ridiculous.

- Continuing his discussion of fame, he said there was a time when he couldn’t go to the grocery store without it being weird and the band eventually had to pull back. He said it was good for the band.

- Somebody asked him who he listens to and he said Kings of Leon, The Strokes and My Morning Jacket and lots of others. He says people often complain to him that there’s no good music coming out anymore and he responds that that’s crazy. He said there’s lots of great stuff out there and technology has made it more accessible.

- Somebody asked him what’s next for the band and he said he didn’t really know. He said they’re on “hiatus,” but they have one show already booked for next year. He says eventually band members will start calling each other and get the itch to start working together again. He said Ed usually is the last one to come into the fold.

- Jeff said Ed’s work on Into the Wild is awesome and he appreciated it even more after seeing how it fit into the movie.

- Someone asked him how many songs surface during the recording process but don’t make it onto the albums, and he said everyone usually brings 4 or 5 songs to the table and gets one or two of them on the album. He said a song doesn’t make the cut unless someone else in the band champions it. So if you’re a member of Pearl Jam and you want one of your songs on the next record, at least one other band member needs to be a big fan of it. He said there are songs that people have gotten onto the record that in retrospect probably didn’t belong, “myself included.”

- Someone asked Jeff what he does during these “hiatuses.” He said the breaks are great and he still spends a lot of time jamming and recording music. He’s also very involved in the Missoula community and has championed local efforts to build skate parks and other things for the community.

- The final question asked of Jeff was “Red Sox or Rockies.” His answer: Red Sox.

There you have it. Hope you enjoyed.

- Evil Beaver

Wanted to believe you my friend. But after all of the doubt on here I checked the website: http://www.umt.edu/catalog/ Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area, but could not for the life of me find your listed "Entertainment Management" class. Entertaining read though.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    smile05 wrote:

what quote button??am i missing something

you're missing the ability to figure out how to quote someone

oh and no one in this class had a camera phone?

although it is montana ;)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think