Options

Project #4 - a Live Vitalogy era Compilation

Comments

• Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    It depends on whether you are giving it your full attention, drifting in and out or having it as 'background' I'm finding. For the latter two, I think it works better in the new place, because it draws your attention back to the more intense songs, and then finishes with a bang. I'm not sure whether it works better if you are listening right through intently, but the previous mix got a bit too heavy for me on that score - overall I prefer this new arrangement. If this doesn't work, I propose we insert another or a new rocky number in the same place, after Improv 3!

There's something that's wrong there, but can't manage to pinpoint what exactly. We definitely need a rocky/uplifted one right after Improv #3. I tried with what you suggested, and that does the job okay I guess. But then I might somehow miss it where it initially was, right after I Got Id. So I tried to put Leavin Here instead, and that just doesn't work at all, it needs to be second to last. And, well, RITFW has to be last. So I'm a bit stuck there, really. So maybe we could find another rocky track to see if it fits in the spot after Improv#3 ?

Act of Love w/ Neil Young form 1/14/95??
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    It depends on whether you are giving it your full attention, drifting in and out or having it as 'background' I'm finding. For the latter two, I think it works better in the new place, because it draws your attention back to the more intense songs, and then finishes with a bang. I'm not sure whether it works better if you are listening right through intently, but the previous mix got a bit too heavy for me on that score - overall I prefer this new arrangement. If this doesn't work, I propose we insert another or a new rocky number in the same place, after Improv 3!

There's something that's wrong there, but can't manage to pinpoint what exactly. We definitely need a rocky/uplifted one right after Improv #3. I tried with what you suggested, and that does the job okay I guess. But then I might somehow miss it where it initially was, right after I Got Id. So I tried to put Leavin Here instead, and that just doesn't work at all, it needs to be second to last. And, well, RITFW has to be last. So I'm a bit stuck there, really. So maybe we could find another rocky track to see if it fits in the spot after Improv#3 ?

Sounds good! Could try putting that after Improv 3, and the other one back to where it was.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257

Yes.

I initially thought of something more like 'Can't explain'. But apart from sound quality that's definitely better with Act of love, it might actually run more smoothly between improv#3 and Long Road. Less outstanding-ly uplifting, I guess. :D
  • Options
    myra wrote:

Yes.

I initially thought of something more like 'Can't explain'. But apart from sound quality that's definitely better with Act of love, it might actually run more smoothly between improv#3 and Long Road. Less outstanding-ly uplifting, I guess. :D

We can't use "Can't Explain" due to the Who Covers compilation we are going to do. (Opps, I just let the cat out of the bag about one of our future projects) :lol: I was thinking "Act of Love" after Improv #3, and place "Let my love open the door" back to its original spot. Version 2 shaping up like this:

Pearl Jam: The Theory of Vitalogy - Version 2

Track List:

01 Spin the Black Circle - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    02 Jack Irons Chant - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    03 Last Exit - Washington D.C. - (1/14/95)
    04 Not for You - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    05 Tremor Christ - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
    06 Improv #2 - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    07 Whipping - Atlanta, Georgia (4/3/94)
    08 Corduroy - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
    09 BS Speech - Missoula, Montana (2/8/95)
    10 Satan's Bed - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    11 Better Man - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    12 Immortality - Washington D.C. - (1/14/95)
    13 Improv #3 - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    14. Act of Love - Washington D.C. - (1/14/95)
    15 Long Road - Caspar, Wyoming - (6/16/95)
    16 Falling Down - Morrison, Colorado (6/20/95)
    17 I Got Shit - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    18 Let My love Open the Door - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    19 Leaving Here - Salt Lake City, Utah (11/1/95)
    20 Rockin' in the Free World (w/ Dave Grohl) - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
  • Options

We can't use "Can't Explain" due to the Who Covers compilation we are going to do. (Opps, I just let the cat out of the bag about one of our future projects) :lol:

It's ok, I don't think anyone will notice at the moment ;)
    I was thinking "Act of Love" after Improv #3, and place "Let my love open the door" back to its original spot. Version 2 shaping up like this:

Track List:

Sounds good !
  • Options
    myra wrote:

We can't use "Can't Explain" due to the Who Covers compilation we are going to do. (Opps, I just let the cat out of the bag about one of our future projects) :lol:

I was thinking "Act of Love" after Improv #3, and place "Let my love open the door" back to its original spot. Version 2 shaping up like this:

Track List:

Sounds good !

Version 1 was sounding great, need to listen a few more times to the whole thing (version 2) but think it's getting very close to being ready. Has some of the best 'sound' of any of the compilations we've done. Impressive! Very impressive

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Soldier Field is an FM soundboard recording, does not get much better for back then. I think Dc had the same type of source. Mike's solo at SF was too fucking cool, not too much, just enough. I know you have a lot of the gems from the show, but I would rather have this version than DC

the long road choice is GREAT

Do not forget Forever In blue JEans from Milwuakee 1, and Little Wing from night 2 (one of the best solos mike has ever let out of his fingers
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    myra wrote:

Track List:

Sounds good !

Version 1 was sounding great, need to listen a few more times to the whole thing (version 2) but think it's getting very close to being ready. Has some of the best 'sound' of any of the compilations we've done. Impressive! Very impressive

Version 2 now complete!! PM will be sent in the next 10 minutes.

Changes Made to V2:

-A few more additional SQ tweaks
    -Added "Act of Love"
    -Modified the Track List

Bad news is that we are now at a 1:54 over. The question now is "Do we cut Act of Love?" or "Do we keep it and cut something else?" Give it a listen and I will check back in sometime tomorrow. I am going to have a real busy day at work tomorrow and I will not be very active on this thread until very late in the day and/or night. So discuss and debate very well so that we can have a Version 3 ready to roll out on Thursday. V3 may be the final version we end up releasing at the rate we are going, all of this sounds great and we are very close. We will definitely have this ready for release by Saturday. :D
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    i say cut the speech or one the improvs

i noticed bout the who. must be that who radar i have. lol. someone fan did a who compilation and it was really amazing. probably the best compilation a fan has done besides green habit and this compilation that you are all doing.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:

i noticed bout the who. must be that who radar i have. lol. someone fan did a who compilation and it was really amazing. probably the best compilation a fan has done besides green habit and this compilation that you are all doing.

Yeah, I would rather cut one of the other bits than Act of Love or another 'proper' song. How about Improv 3? I know it adds to the mood, but it would be hard to justify compared to other songs I think. Am about to listen to the latest version.

Thanks for the words metsfan

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Yeah, I would rather cut one of the other bits than Act of Love or another 'proper' song. How about Improv 3? I know it adds to the mood, but it would be hard to justify compared to other songs I think. Am about to listen to the latest version.

You folks have been doing an amazing job. I've missed a lot through work (ho-hum) but this looks like it's going to be great.

On cutting it down, I think I'd take out the BS speech rather than Improv #3. But then I am rather partial to that improv.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options

Changes Made to V2:

-Added "Act of Love"
    -Modified the Track List

Bad news is that we are now at a 1:54 over. The question now is "Do we cut Act of Love?" or "Do we keep it and cut something else?" Give it a listen and I will check back in sometime tomorrow. I am going to have a real busy day at work tomorrow and I will not be very active on this thread until very late in the day and/or night. So discuss and debate very well so that we can have a Version 3 ready to roll out on Thursday. V3 may be the final version we end up releasing at the rate we are going, all of this sounds great and we are very close. We will definitely have this ready for release by Saturday. :D

Hey Cameron4President, on the SQ, I seem to be getting more distortion on this one from the MP3s - what did you do? I've sometimes found this with your MP3s on my player - they 'break up' at higher volumes - the volume I need to listen to it at. I'm a bit funny about MP3s breaking up. I thought I noticed something similar on some of the 'official bootlegs' mp3s - my originals sounded clearer. Trouble is, on different devices the effect can be quite different. Overall the SQ on version 2 is sounding more problematic to me than V1 - what changes did you make? I'd been thinking the SQ on this collection was the best yet, but I'm running into problems again!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

You folks have been doing an amazing job. I've missed a lot through work (ho-hum) but this looks like it's going to be great.

On cutting it down, I think I'd take out the BS speech rather than Improv #3. But then I am rather partial to that improv.

Ok, we'll see what people think on this - we're getting to the closing stages now I think!!

• Options
    tremors wrote:

I agree with this.

And this.

Therefore, my post is totally useless. :roll: And I don't know what to cut off. That's tough... I'll have another listen on my way back from court later on, if I manage to get a completed download of the updated version before my case is called up.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

Changes Made to V2:

-Added "Act of Love"
    -Modified the Track List

Hey Cameron4President, on the SQ, I seem to be getting more distortion on this one from the MP3s - what did you do? I've sometimes found this with your MP3s on my player - they 'break up' at higher volumes - the volume I need to listen to it at. I'm a bit funny about MP3s breaking up. I thought I noticed something similar on some of the 'official bootlegs' mp3s - my originals sounded clearer. Trouble is, on different devices the effect can be quite different. Overall the SQ on version 2 is sounding more problematic to me than V1 - what changes did you make? I'd been thinking the SQ on this collection was the best yet, but I'm running into problems again!

Hey Cameron4President, sorry of this post seems a bit harsh or uncharitable- was early morning!! It might have been in my imagination. The new changes sound great btw! Did you make changes to the SQ of STBC and Not for You? these were the ones where my player was sounding a bit rough this morning, and I hadn't noticed it the night before.

I know you are busy today, so no need to answer right away....

• Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

I agree with this.

And this.

Therefore, my post is totally useless. :roll: And I don't know what to cut off. That's tough... I'll have another listen on my way back from court later on, if I manage to get a completed download of the updated version before my case is called up.

Not useless, it's a tough decision. We're nearly there though, I am liking the Act of Love to the end section a lot better now. Good skills! I reckon we listen through a few more times before deciding what to cut. Taking account of any other feedback people post here as well

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Act of Love sounds good to me too! Love that song!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

:thumbup:

Yeah I think it works in 'lifting' that section. Am going to have another complete run through of the whole of Version 2 shortly - and I will be listening out for places to 'cut' :( :lol:

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Changes Made to V2:

-Added "Act of Love"
    -Modified the Track List

Hey Cameron4President, sorry of this post seems a bit harsh or uncharitable- was early morning!! It might have been in my imagination. The new changes sound great btw! Did you make changes to the SQ of STBC and Not for You? these were the ones where my player was sounding a bit rough this morning, and I hadn't noticed it the night before.

I know you are busy today, so no need to answer right away....

I only made changes on the SP tracks and the Melbourne tracks. In both cases I turned the sound slightly down on them so that shouldn't cause distortion. Its when you turn the sound up that can cause distortion which we experienced earlier in the week.

The SP tracks had very minor distortion on them during Version 1, so I had to turn them down a notch to elimate that problem.

The Melbourne tracks had some slight clicking noises, so I turned the sound down on that to make those not as noticable.

Let me know if you are still having SQ problems with these tracks and I can replace them with their Version 1 counterparts. Personally I thought the entire Version 2 mix sounded a 100% better than the version 1 mix, but if the SQ on Version 2 is a problem, then all changes can be reversed in seconds :D
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Metsfan. We are all having a great time doing these compilations and we do indeed have a Who project planned in the near future. I don't know if it will be our next one, but its in the pipeline.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

The only problem with cutting the speech is that its only a minute long, we would still be 54 seconds over :cry:
  • Options

"Act of Love" is a kick ass song. It has my vote too. :D
  • Options
    I only made changes on the SP tracks and the Melbourne tracks. In both cases I turned the sound slightly down on them so that shouldn't cause distortion. Its when you turn the sound up that can cause distortion which we experienced earlier in the week.

The SP tracks had very minor distortion on them during Version 1, so I had to turn them down a notch to elimate that problem.

The Melbourne tracks had some slight clicking noises, so I turned the sound down on that to make those not as noticable.

Let me know if you are still having SQ problems with these tracks and I can replace them with their Version 1 counterparts. Personally I thought the entire Version 2 mix sounded a 100% better than the version 1 mix, but if the SQ on Version 2 is a problem, then all changes can be reversed in seconds :D

I noticed it most on STBC - I think when you turn the volume down it means when I have to turn it up to the level I want it at, there is more chance of distortion.

I didn't notice any problems on the Version 1, but this morning I was struggling - and noticed STBC right away. When I compared it to Version 1 the old version didn't produce the same problem.

If you are happy to revert to the unchanged version 1 versions, I would be happier!! I think it also depends on what device or system you are using. I listen to all these mixes on my headphones (one of three sets), and on my mp3 players - phone and ipod, and I change them around a bit. For me the Vitalogy has sounded the most satisfying.

I don't want this to be a stumbling block though. The overall compilation is brilliant. Maybe the best yet!

Is the main thing we are now looking at - which track to cut?? Overally I think the tracklist is great now. Will have a listen right through in the next couple of hours looking for places to cut

• Options
    The only problem with cutting the speech is that its only a minute long, we would still be 54 seconds over :cry:

S**t, I was gonna say cut the speech off too....

After roughly a dozen listens to the improvs only (what got me feeling slightly inebriated by the way - maybe we should put a disclaimer of some sort about that), I've come to the conclusion that Improv#2 should go. 2.00 min'. Would we be good then ?
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

I noticed it most on STBC - I think when you turn the volume down it means when I have to turn it up to the level I want it at, there is more chance of distortion.

I didn't notice any problems on the Version 1, but this morning I was struggling - and noticed STBC right away. When I compared it to Version 1 the old version didn't produce the same problem.

If you are happy to revert to the unchanged version 1 versions, I would be happier!! I think it also depends on what device or system you are using. I listen to all these mixes on my headphones (one of three sets), and on my mp3 players - phone and ipod, and I change them around a bit. For me the Vitalogy has sounded the most satisfying.

I don't want this to be a stumbling block though. The overall compilation is brilliant. Maybe the best yet!

Is the main thing we are now looking at - which track to cut?? Overally I think the tracklist is great now. Will have a listen right through in the next couple of hours looking for places to cut

Would you like me to revert back to just the Version 1 SP tracks, or both SP and Melbourne? I am under the impression that it is just the SP tracks that you are not liking.
  • Options
    myra wrote:

S**t, I was gonna say cut the speech off too....

After roughly a dozen listens to the improvs only (what got me feeling slightly inebriated by the way - maybe we should put a disclaimer of some sort about that), I've come to the conclusion that Improv#2 should go. 2.00 min'. Would we be good then ?

I'm with you on that, Improv #2 is my least favorite. If we cut it, then we would be good on time.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

Would you like me to revert back to just the Version 1 SP tracks, or both SP and Melbourne? I am under the impression that it is just the SP tracks that you are not liking.

If you don't mind doing so, that would be great, thanks. SP only would be fine. I think it probably varies depending on what you're listening to the stuff on, but I'm a bit chained to my MP3 players.

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    If you don't mind doing so, that would be great, thanks. SP only would be fine. I think it probably varies depending on what you're listening to the stuff on, but I'm a bit chained to my MP3 players.

Its not a problem. I will replce the V2 SP tracks with the V1 SP tracks for Version 3.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

Its not a problem. I will replce the V2 SP tracks with the V1 SP tracks for Version 3.

Cool, thanks.

Is the current proposal that we cut 'Improv 2?'

Shall I listen with that in mind? I'm gonna ask you my favorite question: 'What's the next stage Cameron4President'? ;)

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Cool, thanks.

Is the current proposal that we cut 'Improv 2?'

Shall I listen with that in mind? I'm gonna ask you my favorite question: 'What's the next stage Cameron4President'? ;)

Yeah, the current idea is that we cut Improv #2. This way we can keep "Act of Love" and be at an approx. running time of 1:19:54.

I would say that the next stage would be finalizing the track order, and I will try to send you guys Version 3 late tonight/early tomorrow morning your time (2:00am -3:00am). If Version 3 gets the thumbs up, then we will be ready to release it on Friday morning (East Coast Time). :D