Options

Project #4 - a Live Vitalogy era Compilation

TheRealDanPatchTheRealDanPatch Posts: 1,854
edited November 2010 in The Porch
Due to the overwhelming positive feedback that Tremors and I (and now Myra) have received for our last three projects, we have decided to get started on a new one. Earlier in the week we discussed doing a live version of "Vitalogy", but a complete live version of this album is not possible due to some of the songs not being played live. We also wanted to stick with only SDB material from late 1994 -1995 (this eliminates "Bugs"). So after giving it some thought as to what or how we would tackle a live version of "Vitalogy", we decided we couldn't. What we did decide to do is a live soundtrack of the "Vitalogy" album. This new project will be called "Pearl Jam: The Theory of Vitalogy" and it will be a one disc compilation comprised of live SDB "Vitalogy" recordings from late 1994 and 1995. It will also include some live b-sides, covers, and portions of the "Self Pollution" radio broadcast. In regards to the "Self Pollution" broadcast, Tremors and I have thought about the possibility of adding other artists that played on that broadcast (Soundgarden, Mad Season, and Mudhoney). Is this a good idea or should we only have Pearl Jam on it?

Please feel free to use this thread to make suggestions and give us feedback as to what would be good to include on this new compilation (and what wouldn't be good). I will be updating the working track list for this project on the front page of this thread (right here). Our plan is to slowly start putting this together on Monday (Nov. 22) and have it completed and ready for download by or before next Saturday (Nov. 27).

Please feel free to check out our other projects as well:

Ten Live: Then and Now
Disc 1: http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... isc-1.html
Disc 2: http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... isc-2.html

Turpentine & Nepotism: Vs. Live
http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... -live.html

Mixed Metaphor: Backspacer Live
http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... pacer.html

Pearl Jam: The Theory of Vitalogy

Track List:

01 Spin the Black Circle - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
02 Jack Irons Chant - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
03 Last Exit - Washington D.C. (1/14/95)
04 Not for You - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
05 Tremor Christ - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
06 Whipping - Atlanta, Georgia (4/3/94)
07 Corduroy - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
08 BS Speech - Missoula, Montana (2/8/95)
09 Satan's Bed - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
10 Better Man - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
11 Immortality - Washington D.C. (1/14/95)
12 Improv #3 - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
13 Act of Love (w/ Neil Young) - Washington D.C. (1/14/95)
14 Long Road - Caspar, Wyoming (6/16/95)
15 Falling Down - Morrison, Colorado (6/20/95)
16 I Got Shit - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
17 Let My Love Open the Door - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
18 Leaving Here - Salt Lake City, Utah (11/1/95)
19 Rockin' in the Free World (w/ Dave Grohl) - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)

http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2010/11/pearl-jam-theory-of-vitalogy.html
I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
1998: Va Beach VA
2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
2008: Washington DC
2009: Philly 3
2010: Bristow VA
2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
2014: Cincinnati, OH
2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Due to the overwhelming positive feedback that Tremors and I have received for our last three projects, we have decided to get started on a new one. Earlier in the week we discussed doing a live version of "Vitalogy", but a complete live version of this album is not possible due to some of the songs not being played live. We also wanted to stick with only SDB material from late 1994 -1995 (this eliminates "Bugs"). So after giving it some thought as to what or how we would tackle a live version of "Vitalogy", we decided we couldn't. What we did decide to do is a live soundtrack of the "Vitalogy" album. This new project will be called "Pearl Jam: The Theory of Vitalogy" and it will be a one disc compilation comprised of live SDB "Vitalogy" recordings from late 1994 and 1995. It will also include some live b-sides, covers, and portions of the "Self Pollution" radio broadcast. In regards to the "Self Pollution" broadcast, Tremors and I have thought about the possibility of adding other artists that played on that broadcast (Soundgarden, Mad Season, and Mudhoney). Is this a good idea or should we only have Pearl Jam on it?

Please feel free to use this thread to make suggestions and give us feedback as to what would be good to include on this new compilation (and what wouldn't be good). I will be updating the working track list for this project on the front page of this thread (right here). Our plan is to slowly start putting this together on Monday (Nov. 22) and have it completed and ready for download by or before next Saturday (Nov. 27).

Please feel free to check out our other projects as well:

Ten Live: Then and Now
    Disc 1: http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... isc-1.html
    Disc 2: http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... isc-2.html

Turpentine & Nepotism: Vs. Live
    http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... -live.html

Mixed Metaphor: Backspacer Live
    http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... pacer.html

Pearl Jam: The Theory of Vitalogy (Early, Early Track Listing)

Track List:

Spin The Black Circle - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    Last Exit
    Not For You
    Tremor Christ
    Nothingman
    Whipping
    Corduroy
    Satan's Bed
    Better Man
    Immortality
    Falling Down - Morrison, Colorado (6/20/95)

sounds good! i loved the first three projects, cant wait to hear this one! :D
    erm, i dont want to sound like a clueless newbie, but what does SDB mean? :oops:
    trust you guys to make a great mix, dont really have much to add as it sounds great already
    using the other bands from the broadcast would be cool too, im up for a few songs from soundgarden/mudhoney. but its up to the majority really. either way it'll be good.
    some really rare/unique versions would be nice too
    anyway thanks for doing this, you guys are awesome :)
  • Options
    erm, i dont want to sound like a clueless newbie, but what does SDB mean?

You do not sound like a clueless newbie at all, there are a lot of acronyms out there, too many to remember. In this case "SDB" means Soundboard. I prefer to use soundboard recordings on our projects, but I will also settle for a really good FM Broadcast or on a rare occassion an excellent audience recording. I want all of our projects to sound really good and consistent.
  • Options
    Self Pollution Radio Live Performances

Pearl Jam (live Vitalogy Tracks)

Spin the Black Circle
    Satan’s Bed
    Corduroy
    Not for You
    Immortality
    Last Exit
    Tremor Christ

The Fastbacks (live)

On Your Hands
    Run No More
    Old Address of the Unknown

Mudhoney (live)

Judgement, Rage, Retribution and Thyme
    Generation Spokesmodel
    What Moves the Heart

Mad Season (live)

Lifeless Dead
    I Don’t Know Anything

Soundgarden (live)

Blind Dogs
    Fell on Black Days
    Kyle Petty, Son of Richard
    No Attention
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    What I like about this idea, and how it gets me imagining the kind of 'vibe' we want to capture, is that we can introduce a kind of 'DIY' element, a slightly quirky rough-and-ready vibe to it - maybe taking some cues from the Self Polution Radio broadcast.

In the previous compilations we have I think captured something of the 'sound' of an era, and this has largely been through getting good quality representative performances from the times put alongside each other. With this 'Theory of Vitalogy' idea, what I think we can do is go a bit leftfield and introduce some other elements - especially in the places where on the album there are the more 'eccentric' tracks. This I think would also capture the mood of those times.

So I think cutting in with segments from Self Pollution, bringing in some other band stuff, or even some stranger clips throughout the disc might be kind of fun, and could hopefully work well for the listener. What I am going to do to prepare for this project (Cameron4President's posts always seems to get me doing homework these days!!) Is to listen to as much of Self Pollution Radio as I can, and try and pick up themes, ideas or sounds from there - and hopefully we can find a style that works for this collection. Is nice to try something a bit different, seeing as it's not possible to do a completely 'live' re-creation of this album anyway.

Also, we will need suggestions of some of the killer live performances of the core album tracks from 94-95 - bearing in mind the sound quality issues Cameron4President has highlighted above.

hmmm..... my kind of homework!!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,408
    edited November 2010
    Nice ideas guys,

There were a lot of great improvs in 1995, and I think they could be worked in in place of the unplayed tracks (which are all kind of improvisational anyway). Not sure these will fit with your high sound quality standards. But the one that I think is absolutely essential the 2nd improv from the Feb 6 95 Moore Theater show. I have always thought of that as kind of like "variations on a theme of Stupid Mop" (and Jack's drumming in particular would seem to support that). Plus, it comes at the end of the 2nd encore, so in a way, it fits with the positioning of Stupid Mop on the album.

Perhaps the "Jack Irons" chant, or the Sick o' Pussies jam from Soldier Field could stand in for Pry, To - they've both got Pry, To's repetition thing going on.

Words Seem Out of Place improv from Melbourne could make a good Aye Davanita. Or maybethe bluesy jam before RVM in Phoenix. I think either one would fit well between Better Man and Immortality.

But as for Bugs, I'm not sure. Maybe the BS speech from Missoula - it does come just before Satan's Bed after all, and it does contain the word "bug".

As for including other bands' stuff, I'm not sold on the idea, but there are definitely parts of the Self Pollution broadcast that would be interesting to include. How about the Laurelhurst Beach Club jam?

One more thought: how about including Merkinball as part of this one too
    Post edited by wolfamongwolves on
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    In my opinion you guys should just include Pearl Jam songs, it seems weird with other artists on the playlist. I think you should include live versions of the songs that were recorded around the Vitalogy era.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Nice ideas guys,

There were a lot of great improvs in 1995, and I think they could be worked in in place of the unplayed tracks (which are all kind of improvisational anyway). Not sure these will fit with your high sound quality standards. But the one that I think is absolutely essential the 2nd improv from the Feb 6 95 Moore Theater show. I have always thought of that as kind of like "variations on a theme of Stupid Mop" (and Jack's drumming in particular would seem to support that). Plus, it comes at the end of the 2nd encore, so in a way, it fits with the positioning of Stupid Mop on the album.

Perhaps the "Jack Irons" chant, or the Sick o' Pussies jam from Soldier Field could stand in for Pry, To - they've both got Pry, To's repetition thing going on.

Words Seem Out of Place improv from Melbourne could make a good Aye Davanita. Or maybethe bluesy jam before RVM in Phoenix. I think either one would fit well between Better Man and Immortality.

But as for Bugs, I'm not sure. Maybe the BS speech from Missoula - it does come just before Satan's Bed after all, and it does contain the word "bug".

As for including other bands' stuff, I'm not sold on the idea, but there are definitely parts of the Self Pollution broadcast that would be interesting to include. How about the Laurelhurst Beach Club jam?

One more thought: how about including Merkinball as part of this one too?

You have made a lot of great points here. The various improvs are a good idea. I will have to check out the improvs at the Moore and in Phoenix. I have to admit that I almost forgot about the Laurelhurst Beach Club jam. I think that we definitely have a lot of areas to explore for this project. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    In my opinion you guys should just include Pearl Jam songs, it seems weird with other artists on the playlist. I think you should include live versions of the songs that were recorded around the Vitalogy era.

Yeah I am kind of on the fence when it comes to other artists on this compilation, especially when we are keeping it to one disc. I threw this out there to see what other people thought to help me make up my mind on whether or not to include them. I think that I am leaning towards not using other bands. We have a lot of Pearl Jam material that we can work with. Thank you for your input.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The two suggestions above sound really helpful - stick with PJ material, use improvs instead of some of the missing tracks, include some non-album vitalogy era live material, and throw in a few pieces from Self Pollution!?

I think that would work well!
    Post edited by tremors on

• Options
    one that I think is absolutely essential the 2nd improv from the Feb 6 95 Moore Theater show. I have always thought of that as kind of like "variations on a theme of Stupid Mop" (and Jack's drumming in particular would seem to support that).

oops, that should be 3rd improv - the one after RVM
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    The two suggestions above sound really helpful - stick with PJ material, use improvs instead of some of the missing tracks, include some non-album vitalogy era live material, and throw is a few pieces from Self Pollution.

I think that would work well!

After getting a few great suggestions, this is what I think should be included so far...

-Live Vitalogy tracks (This is a given :D )
    -Improvs (Tremors - we have a few improvs to listen to)
    -Self Pollution (Laurelhurst Beach Club jam may make a nice addition)
    -Covers (Rockin' in the Free World - Melbourne style with Dave Grohl on drums)
    -B-Sides/Unreleased Material (Falling Down - Red Rocks)

Note: I want the track listing to be in a different order or be slightly modified from the actual order on the Vitalogy album. Two reasons for this:
    1. I would like to start the compilation of with 'Spin the Black Circle"
    2. We are not recreating the Vitalogy disc, we are celebrating the Vitalogy Era of the band.

Thoughts/Opinions??
  • Options
    After getting a few great suggestions, this is what I think should be included so far...

Note: I want the track listing to be in a different order or be slightly modified from the actual order on the Vitalogy album. Two reasons for this:
    2. We are not recreating the Vitalogy disc, we are celebrating the Vitalogy Era of the band.

Thoughts/Opinions??

...and Merkinball?
  • Options

Thoughts/Opinions??

...and Merkinball?

We can include "Long Road" and "I Got Id" to the compilation. Both songs made their debut on the 1995 Tour and they are a part of this era. My questions for you would be where would you place these two songs in the mix and what "Vitalogy" songs do they best match up with? Maybe place "I Got Id" around "Satan's Bed"? "Long Road" to close the compilation?

Thoughts/Opinions?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    keep on rockin muthafuckas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    this

:lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    Really like Wolfamongwolves' idea.
    I get very picky when it comes to Vitalogy since I have a cult about this album, so I may be partial.
    I somehow hoped that there would be some live versions of the 'missing tracks' somewhere (especially Bugs, since I love this one so much). So possibly the improvs would make it up for it ? That would really add up to the experience and keep the coherence of the album. The covers and unreleased material would be like bonuses to it.
    I get very excited about this now :D
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    I get very picky when it comes to Vitalogy since I have a cult about this album, so I may be partial.
    I somehow hoped that there would be some live versions of the 'missing tracks' somewhere (especially Bugs, since I love this one so much). So possibly the improvs would make it up for it ? That would really add up to the experience and keep the coherence of the album. The covers and unreleased material would be like bonuses to it.

Myra,

What is your opinion about mixing the track order around and adding the two Merkinball songs to this compilation?
  • Options

dimi! - and this is usually such a clean thread!! :lol: Why you never shit us Dalara?

Reading some of the previous responses it seems there are a few dilemmas mainly around the 'track order' - as in, do we try and preserve the flow of the album and take that as our guide, with bonus tracks on the end - or do we try and mix it around a bit more.

My personal 'safe' preference would be to retain the order of the album, but where we have a gap fill it with something cool, and add things on the end. This is the more 'conservative approach'

I think if we get into mixing it around a bit more, which we could do - then the only difficulty I can foresee is a lot more dilemmas about 'what' and 'where'.

Myra's point is instructive, because obviously people have an attachment to the album, so they don't want it messed around with too much. Hmmmm, difficult. I think if we are going to do it more like your idea Cameron4President, as a kind of vitalogy era collection, then we should throw the album tracklist completely out of the window maybe, and piece it together from scratch.

I don't have fixed ideas on this though, just throwing out some of the dilemmas going round my head. What do people think? (Not you dimi ! ;):lol: )

Myra?

• Options
    myra wrote:

Myra,

What is your opinion about mixing the track order around and adding the two Merkinball songs to this compilation?

I wouldn't.
    But that's only because I'm partial to it. For as much as I love I got shit, I believe there's a totally specific feeling to Vitalogy so it makes it harder to mix the track order or adding songs to the track list.
    When listening to the Ten and Vs projects, I started thinking about what it would sound like with Vitalogy, if we could get some early versions / demo of the songs. I don't have that much material, but I believe there must be some available (like "three days" off a 1993 boot), although I don't know about the sound quality (this particular bootleg is definitely not a soundboard).
    I realize I'm moving away from your initial idea for it and wouldn't mind being surprised either ;)
  • Options

...and Merkinball?

We can include "Long Road" and "I Got Id" to the compilation. Both songs made their debut on the 1995 Tour and they are a part of this era. My questions for you would be where would you place these two songs in the mix and what "Vitalogy" songs do they best match up with? Maybe place "I Got Id" around "Satan's Bed"? "Long Road" to close the compilation?

Thoughts/Opinions?
    Well, instinctively, I'd suggest that Long Road be the opener, followed by Last Exit & Spin the Black Circle, which would seem a fairly realistic show opening for the time. But obviously that won't fly with the notion of using StBC from Self Pollution. I'll think about it a bit more.

With regards to covers, RitFW with Dave is a great idea. i think there are some covers that are very specific to that time also - Leaving Here, Let My Love Open the Door, I Got You and Act of Love being the key ones. I think Sonic Reducer was played more on that tour than any other also.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I have an erratic connection, and so keep appearing to be butting in! sorry - I'll probably read what you guys discuss and think about it, but not join in for a while - cos I'm trying to do about 5 things at once currently as well.

• Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,408
    edited November 2010
    Okay, here's how I see the conservative idea playing out. (As an liberal it's hard for me to advocate conservativism... but you know I mean Myra's notion of "conserving" Vitalogy's running order) ;)

Long Road (as an intro)
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle
    Not for You
    Tremor Christ
    Nothingman
    Whipping (fade out to get the Division 1/Division 2 split)
    Jack Irons Chant (Moore Theater Feb 5 95)
    Corduroy
    BS Speech (Missoula) - sound quality on this mightn't be good enough
    Satan's Bed
    Better Man
    Instrumental blues improv (Phoenix)
    Immortality
    Improv no. 3 (Moore Theater Feb 6 95)
    Let My love Open the Door (Soldier Field)
    I Got You
    I Got Shit
    Sonic Reducer
    Leaving Here
    Rockin' in the Free World (w/ Dave Grohl)

though I doubt that would all fit on one disc. It also leaves out Falling Down, which should probably be in there...
    Post edited by wolfamongwolves on
  • Options
    Aaaaaaaah soundboard. okay, must remember for next time SDB = soundboard.

Thoughts/Opinions??
    I think if we get into mixing it around a bit more, which we could do - then the only difficulty I can foresee is a lot more dilemmas about 'what' and 'where'.

Myra's point is instructive, because obviously people have an attachment to the album, so they don't want it messed around with too much. Hmmmm, difficult. I think if we are going to do it more like your idea Cameron4President, as a kind of vitalogy era collection, then we should throw the album tracklist completely out of the window maybe, and piece it together from scratch.

love this idea. im all for mixing the track list around, especially if you're adding improvs and covers etc. if they flow in a good thought out order then it would be amazing. i think that would be better than just having the main track list with the added songs at the end, because you wont be using all of the songs on the album so there is going to be gaps and jumps anyways right? i really think a rearranged track list is the way to go and you guys will definitely be able to put that songs together in a great way.
    I LOVE the Melbourne Rockin in the Free World with the mighty Dave grohl the drums and i think that should be on there. probably best to stick with only PJ stuff, you might cause an uproar if you don't and besides, you can create a really atmospheric album what with all the different moods and themes in the album songs and the covers and improvs etc.

anyway just my two cents, cant wait :)
  • Options
    Okay, here's how I see the conservative idea playing out. (As an liberal it's hard for me to advocate conservativism... but you know I mean Myra's notion of "conserving" Vitalogy's running order) ;)

Long Road (as an intro)
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle
    Not for You
    Tremor Christ
    Nothingman
    Whipping (fade out to get the Division 1/Division 2 split)
    Jack Irons Chant (Moore Theater Feb 5 95)
    Corduroy
    BS Speech (Missoula) - sound quality on this mightn't be good enough
    Satan's Bed
    Better Man
    Instrumental blues improv (Phoenix)
    Immortality
    Improv no. 3 (Moore Theater Feb 6 95)
    Let My love Open the Door (Soldier Field)
    I Got You
    I Got Shit
    Sonic Reducer
    Leaving Here
    Rockin' in the Free World (w/ Dave Grohl)

though I doubt that would all fit on one disc. It also leaves out Falling Down, which should probably be in there...

:o This sure as hell is the first time I've ever been labelled a conservative :lol::lol: Am not sure I'll manage to get over it :lol:
    I'd go for this track list.
    I can loosen up ;) a bit to let Long Road open, considering this is live and Long Road possibly is one of the best ever openers, it'd be a shame to miss out on it.
    I got shit goes in the bonuses/encores, so that's the best of both worlds ! And leaving here ....hmm, this looks good !
  • Options
    myra wrote:

:o This sure as hell is the first time I've ever been labelled a conservative :lol::lol: Am not sure I'll manage to get over it :lol:
    Hahaha.... sorry about that. You know what I meant though.... :)
  • Options
    Sorry, I think it was me that introduced the 'conservative' concept. Conservative in the literal rather than political sense I meant! ;)

It sounds like some people favour us building up the tracklist from scratch and others on basing it around the album with a few extras around and inside it. I'm undecided. wolfamongwolves has a pretty solid tracklist idea which looks good. My only reservations with this tracklist is we have already used Sonic Reducer and RITFW on the Live Vs era collection - Turpentine & Nepotism; so I don't think we should use both of these, maybe one of them.

Putting together a tracklist from scratch from the existing material is a bigger undertaking, could be fun - but would need a bit of ongoing input from people here in making decisions, because in previous projects an initial flurry of activity at the start has tended to fall away a bit as the project has got underway. I think we might need a bit more time to do this idea justice (more time than on the projects where we know the tracklist already - and just have to select a performance). I think this because with a tracklist from scratch there are almost infinite possibilities with the variables - so many more decisions to be taken at different stages.... eg it might be harder to decide a tracklist in advance until we heard some of the material

• Options
    Wow...

You guys are awesome with all of these suggestions. I am going to have to do quite a bit of homework, but that's ok it will be fun. These projects are the most fun when everybody gets involved like you guys have. Thank you and keep these ideas flowing. I love it.

btw...

Being that I am a big PT/Who fan, there is a good chance the "Let My Love Open The Door" and "Leaving Here" could find themselves on this compilation :D

One more thing for you guys to think about, what is your thought on having "Little Wing/Maggot Brain" from Summerfest '95 on this compilation. (Chad Smith from the RHCP handles drums on this track)?
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Sorry, I think it was me that introduced the 'conservative' concept. Conservative in the literal rather than political sense I meant! ;)

It sounds like some people favour us building up the tracklist from scratch and others on basing it around the album with a few extras around and inside it. I'm undecided. wolfamongwolves has a pretty solid tracklist idea which looks good. My only reservations with this tracklist is we have already used Sonic Reducer and RITFW on the Live Vs era collection - Turpentine & Nepotism; so I don't think we should use both of these, maybe one of them.

Putting together a tracklist from scratch from the existing material is a bigger undertaking, could be fun - but would need a bit of ongoing input from people here in making decisions, because in previous projects an initial flurry of activity at the start has tended to fall away a bit as the project has got underway. I think we might need a bit more time to do this idea justice (more time than on the projects where we know the tracklist already - and just have to select a performance). I think this because with a tracklist from scratch there are almost infinite possibilities with the variables - so many more decisions to be taken at different stages.... eg it might be harder to decide a tracklist in advance until we heard some of the material

I am not in favor of having Sonic Reducer on this compilation, but I do think that RitFW from Melbourne should be on this compilation. That version just kicks ass.
  • Options
    Wow...

You guys are awesome with all of these suggestions. I am going to have to do quite a bit of homework, but that's ok it will be fun. These projects are the most fun when everybody gets involved like you guys have. Thank you and keep these ideas flowing. I love it.

btw...

Being that I am a big PT/Who fan, there is a good chance the "Let My Love Open The Door" and "Leaving Here" could find themselves on this compilation :D

One more thing for you guys to think about, what is your thought on having "Little Wing/Maggot Brain" from Summerfest '95 on this compilation. (Chad Smith from the RHCP handles drums on this track)?

I think all of those covers could be good - though I don't remember exactly how they all go right now - in general though, having more covers and other songs in this compilation seems to make sense.

My instinct now is telling me we could try taking the album tracklist as the framework, and respecting the order where possible - but opening with Long Road - and putting the covers in in place of the studio based pieces, and maybe two in a row, then back to the album - a few sounds from Self Pollution for good measure thrown in there. It might work - Like with the Vs collection I found that a change from the Fox served as a little 'detour' in my mind. So we could use the breaks to go on a little detour into other material, and then back to the flow of the album tracks maybe. What do you think?

I think the advantage of having the album of the framework is it gives some structure and reassurance, and will spare some headaches. The challenge then becomes to make the thing 'work' for the listener - which we will have to do either way anyway. My hunch is we could get it to work, going off on a few detours......