Options

Project #4 - a Live Vitalogy era Compilation

Comments

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    I just had a thought... And I hate to go throwing spanners in the works when it all looks like it's coning together so nicely. This is absolutely no criticism on what you've got here, which is great, and maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but...

I assume you're not going to stop here. I'm sure there's going to be a live No Code too, and if so, I realised, you won't have many covers to draw on. Pretty much the only covers played on the No Code tour were Leaving Here and RitFW, both of which we've put on here.

So after all that hard work, I'm going to bite the bullet, risk your tirades and suggest (for stage 2) holding Leaving Here off for the No Code compilation, since it was played at the great majority of the No Code shows and just a handful of the Vitalogy ones, and replacing it with Act of Love.

What do you think?

We think there has been a good 'No Code' compilation which Cameron4President has featured on his blog already. By 'All That's Sacred' - so I don't think he wants to duplicate that one

http://dp-rearviewmirror.blogspot.com/2 ... -live.html

I've been listening to this first draft Vitalogy mix - sounding great - have a few suggestions about the second half of it, but am gonna wait until we get it uploaded first, and make sure I'm listening to the same sources etc as everyone else.

Thanks for your input in this thread wolfamongwolves

Well, shut my mouth! :D I'll have to go check that one out, then. Though it would be interesting to have a No Code-era version.

looking forward to hearing this Vitalogy mix. Nice work guys
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    tremors wrote:
    I just had a thought... And I hate to go throwing spanners in the works when it all looks like it's coning together so nicely. This is absolutely no criticism on what you've got here, which is great, and maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but...

I assume you're not going to stop here. I'm sure there's going to be a live No Code too, and if so, I realised, you won't have many covers to draw on. Pretty much the only covers played on the No Code tour were Leaving Here and RitFW, both of which we've put on here.

So after all that hard work, I'm going to bite the bullet, risk your tirades and suggest (for stage 2) holding Leaving Here off for the No Code compilation, since it was played at the great majority of the No Code shows and just a handful of the Vitalogy ones, and replacing it with Act of Love.

What do you think?

We think there has been a good 'No Code' compilation which Cameron4President has featured on his blog already. By 'All That's Sacred' - so I don't think he wants to duplicate that one

I've been listening to this first draft Vitalogy mix - sounding great - have a few suggestions about the second half of it, but am gonna wait until we get it uploaded first, and make sure I'm listening to the same sources etc as everyone else.

Well, shut my mouth! :D I'll have to go check that one out, then. Though it would be interesting to have a No Code-era version.

Sorry, didn't mean to cut you off. Just getting late and I'm hypnotised by the lack of tweeting going on! We really appreciate your contributions to this project. Will you stay involved? Hope so!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

What do you think?

A "No Code" era mix would be cool. Maybe one day. :D Thanks for all of your help with this. You are really going to enjoy this compilation. It is shaping up to be my favorite.
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options

What do you think?

Hey wolfamongwolves,

I have two things to say in response to comments:

1. "I assume you're not going to stop here" - You assume correctly :D We have a few quite a few ideas in the pipeline. We are going to be very busy cranking out new projects. :D We are however going to take a 2 to 3 week break after this one is completed.

2. I have already posted Donny's (Bigeye21) version that he created and played on his podcast "All That's Sacred #69" on my blog. So I do not plan on doing that one in the "present tense". :D
    tremors wrote:

I have good news and bad news:

Good news = Rough Draft is edited and uploaded. My two partners in crime can expect a PM in the next few minutes with a download link in it.

Bad news = We are 4 minutes and 10 seconds over our time limit. Get out you knives, it time to start cutting. :D

Thanks Pres! Just downloading now....

• Options
    tremors wrote:

All I have to say is that you better be ready to rock. :D The rough draft kicks ass. I can't imagine how good the final version is going to be!!

Thanks to everybody for all of the great suggestions, feedback, and help.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

All I have to say is that you better be ready to rock. :D The rough draft kicks ass. I can't imagine how good the final version is going to be!!

Thanks to everybody for all of the great suggestions, feedback, and help.

I'm ready! I think I have 80 minutes before I retire.

My only thought when I listened through earlier was it got pretty 'down' in the last third, quite a lot of slow songs in a row, and I was wondering if we needed to inject something rocking in the middle of that section. Otherwise it was sounding brilliant. Will have a proper listen to the official version now tho!

• Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257

Good news = Rough Draft is edited and uploaded. My two partners in crime can expect a PM in the next few minutes with a download link in it.

Bad news = We are 4 minutes and 10 seconds over our time limit. Get out you knives, it time to start cutting. :D

Time remaining to download : 1 hour ?! WTF ? This is taking longer than ripping two DVDs !
    As for the 4 minutes over time limit : well, isn't that roughly the length of Nothingman ? :mrgreen::lol:
  • Options
    myra wrote:

Time remaining to download : 1 hour ?! WTF ? This is taking longer than ripping two DVDs !
    As for the 4 minutes over time limit : well, isn't that roughly the length of Nothingman ? :mrgreen::lol:

Nothingman clocks in at 4:30 long :lol:
  • Options
    myra wrote:

Shame ! :angel:
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    myra wrote:

Shame ! :angel:

lol - well it would make sense. Also my previous point about the thing getting a bit too 'down' at the end would be helped by removing a slow song. If anyone has a go at you about it though, just say 'sound quality', or you'll never hear the last of it!! It's a popular song!!

I had to stop my listening to come and tell you how great it was sounding (Can't listen and read at same time!!) much better than my version - I'm not sure I had all the right tracks correctly. Right, back to work!!

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    I had to stop my listening to come and tell you how great it was sounding (Can't listen and read at same time!!) much better than my version - I'm not sure I had all the right tracks correctly. Right, back to work!!

That's cruel :lol: I still have some 20 minutes to wait before it's completely downloaded !
    All right then, we'll try and save the Nothingdude from his unjust fate ;)
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

That's cruel :lol: I still have some 20 minutes to wait before it's completely downloaded !
    All right then, we'll try and save the Nothingdude from his unjust fate ;)

No, I was serious, I'm all for cutting nothingdude due to SQ issues now

• Options
    tremors wrote:

It's that bad ?!
    :(
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

It's that bad ?!
    :(

Oh, so now you want it in again now eh?!! :roll:

Well it's a combination of factors - the length, the SQ, the fact that that part of the collection with the change of order is quite 'down', the fact that you and Cameron4President hate the song...... ;) etc etc

• Options
    tremors wrote:

Well it's a combination of factors - the length, the SQ, the fact that that part of the collection with the change of order is quite 'down', the fact that you and Cameron4President hate the song...... ;) etc etc

:lol:
    I don't hate it !! I swear I don't skip it when it comes up ! I just feel sorry for that poor bloke now, sacrificed to SQ ... :lol:

Edit after a few listens :

Part 1 (1-10) rocks !! :shock: The feeling's great, true to the album feel, yet wilder and more twisted somehow. Was initially listening to the wrong STBC I guess. At least it didn't have the 'tea party' thing in it :? Well, this one gets you in the right mood ;) - funny how you start off with this intro, and eventually get to the warm words at the end of Immortality ....

Part 2 (11 - 15) is a bit too long I reckon. So one has to go. And, well, Nothingman seems to be the weakest link there. Also, the transition from Satan's bed to Words seem out of place is a bit "blunt". Maybe Satan's bed onto Betterman would be smoother ? And Words ... could come right after it, moving on to Immortality ? Don't know... but something's not right there.

Part 3 (16-18) is coherent. And it feels good to move from I got shit onto Let my love .... especially when you tend to get a bit emotional during I Got shit like I do :oops: (I'm sure I'm not the only one though). Moving from Long Road to I got shit via Fallin Down is wicked for people like me in this respect ...

Part 4 (19-21) has got a more uplitfted tone to it. Makes for a great ending, especially the "messy" Leavin here. Like the end of a show when you're exhausted but you want some more :lol:

So overall it's rather balanced I guess, except maybe for part 2.
    I'll get a couple more listens on my drive to and from the court tomorrow morning (that is, in three hours from now :? )

That was a long/possibly obscure post. Hope you'll still make something out of it.
  • Options
    myra wrote:
    tremors wrote:

:lol:
    I don't hate it !! I swear I don't skip it when it comes up ! I just feel sorry for that poor bloke now, sacrificed to SQ ... :lol:

Edit after a few listens :

Part 1 (1-10) rocks !! :shock: The feeling's great, true to the album feel, yet wilder and more twisted somehow. Was initially listening to the wrong STBC I guess. At least it didn't have the 'tea party' thing in it :? Well, this one gets you in the right mood ;) - funny how you start off with this intro, and eventually get to the warm words at the end of Immortality ....

Part 2 (11 - 15) is a bit too long I reckon. So one has to go. And, well, Nothingman seems to be the weakest link there. Also, the transition from Satan's bed to Words seem out of place is a bit "blunt". Maybe Satan's bed onto Betterman would be smoother ? And Words ... could come right after it, moving on to Immortality ? Don't know... but something's not right there.

Part 3 (16-18) is coherent. And it feels good to move from I got shit onto Let my love .... especially when you tend to get a bit emotional during I Got shit like I do :oops: (I'm sure I'm not the only one though). Moving from Long Road to I got shit via Fallin Down is wicked for people like me in this respect ...

Part 4 (19-21) has got a more uplitfted tone to it. Makes for a great ending, especially the "messy" Leavin here. Like the end of a show when you're exhausted but you want some more :lol:

So overall it's rather balanced I guess, except maybe for part 2.
    I'll get a couple more listens on my drive to and from the court tomorrow morning (that is, in three hours from now :? )

That was a long/possibly obscure post. Hope you'll still make something out of it.

I must admit that I do not like that song very much. Their is one version of it that I do love, and that's the one from Tampa Bay '08. Matt sings great harmony vocals on it. It is an excellent version of it, you all should check it out if you haven't already.

As for our "Nothingman" on the compilation, it has to go. The SQ is just hideous. I couldn't really add anything more to it to make it sound better. Part of the problem was the original copy had such low volume to it, so when I enhanced the sound and amplified it, it gave it a little distortion. I had a hard time just getting it to where its at now, and I do not believe I could make it any better.

Thoughts and Opinions on the rest of the compilation. What works and what doesn't?

EDIT: I didn't notice your post until after I posted mine, but great work. Totally understood what you were saying. As it stands right now Nothingman gets cut and we will rearrange the mid-section.

Wow it must be like 3:30am in France!!! You are up really late!
  • Options
    Version 1 shaping up like this:

Pearl Jam: The Theory of Vitalogy - Version 1??

Track List:

01 Spin the Black Circle - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    02 Jack Irons Chant - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    03 Last Exit - Washington D.C. - (1/14/95)
    04 Not for You - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    05 Tremor Christ - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
    06 Improv #2 - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    07 Whipping - Atlanta, Georgia (4/3/94)
    08 Corduroy - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
    09 BS Speech - Missoula, Montana (2/8/95)
    10 Satan's Bed - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    11 Better Man - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    12 Words Seem Out of Place (Improv) - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)

13 Immortality - Washington D.C. - (1/14/95)
    14 Improv #3 - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    15 Long Road - Caspar, Wyoming - (6/16/95)
    16 Falling Down - Morrison, Colorado (6/20/95)
    17 I Got Shit - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    18 Let My love Open the Door - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    19 Leaving Here - Salt Lake City, Utah (11/1/95)
    20 Rockin' in the Free World (w/ Dave Grohl) - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)

**This puts us at approx. 79:40**
  • Options

I must admit that I do not like that song very much. Their is one version of it that I do love, and that's the one from Tampa Bay '08. Matt sings great harmony vocals on it. It is an excellent version of it, you all should check it out if you haven't already.

As for our "Nothingman" on the compilation, it has to go. The SQ is just hideous. I couldn't really add anything more to it to make it sound better. Part of the problem was the original copy had such low volume to it, so when I enhanced the sound and amplified it, it gave it a little distortion. I had a hard time just getting it to where its at now, and I do not believe I could make it any better.

Thoughts and Opinions on the rest of the compilation. What works and what doesn't?

EDIT: I didn't notice your post until after I posted mine, but great work. Totally understood what you were saying. As it stands right now Nothingman gets cut and we will rearrange the mid-section.

Wow it must be like 3:30am in France!!! You are up really late!

Yep. 3.40. I'm not sure I'll even sleep after all, since I only have 2.20 hours to go...
    There was definitely something different to this Nothingman than that I originally heard from the Ann Arbor boot... I expected it to be much much lower. But still, moving from Betterman to this one was a bit of a turn off really ;) Well, I guess you did all you could to save him, but his fate was sealed ....
  • Options

Did you give this track order a listen yet ? What did you think ?
  • Options
    myra wrote:

Not yet, but it makes a lot of sense. I will let you guys discuss this and any other changes the both of you think should be made tomorrow, and then I will put together Version 1 from what you guys have discussed and send it out to you and Tremors.

("I build, you and Tremors tear down, I rebuild, you and Tremors tear down again, I rebuild again, you and Tremors give the "green light" to release it, and I release it") :lol:
  • Options
    myra wrote:

Not yet, but it makes a lot of sense. I will let you guys discuss this and any other changes the both of you think should be made tomorrow, and then I will put together Version 1 from what you guys have discussed and send it out to you and Tremors.

("I build, you and Tremors tear down, I rebuild, you and Tremors tear down again, I rebuild again, you and Tremors give the "green light" to release it, and I release it") :lol:

Wow Cameron4President, you have fucking excelled yourself this time! This is fantastic! Love it!!

It kicks off brilliantly right from the beginning, and continues. My only thoughts are that maybe like Myra says there's a point in the disc where things start to 'flag' a bit. I can't give you any more specific comments right now, since I am taking it in still, and I am out at meetings all day today with work - so I won't be able to check back in here until later on, maybe early evening UK time.

Well done though C4P - this is first class! The sound and vibe and SQ is excellent. Loving listening to this.....

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    immortality- one of the 95 moore theater shows. mike and jack go off on this really cool jam

or

immortality- 4-12-95
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    immortality- one of the 95 moore theater shows. mike and jack go off on this really cool jam

or

immortality- 4-12-95

:thumbup:

Thanks metsfan

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    welcome tremors
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Version 1 shaping up like this:

Pearl Jam: The Theory of Vitalogy - Version 1??

Track List:

01 Spin the Black Circle - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    02 Jack Irons Chant - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    03 Last Exit - Washington D.C. - (1/14/95)
    04 Not for You - Self Pollution Radio (1/8/95)
    05 Tremor Christ - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
    06 Improv #2 - Seattle, Washington (2/6/95)
    07 Whipping - Atlanta, Georgia (4/3/94)
    08 Corduroy - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)
    09 BS Speech - Missoula, Montana (2/8/95)

15 Long Road - Caspar, Wyoming - (6/16/95)
    16 Falling Down - Morrison, Colorado (6/20/95)
    17 I Got Shit - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    18 Let My love Open the Door - Chicago, Illinois (7/11/95)
    19 Leaving Here - Salt Lake City, Utah (11/1/95)
    20 Rockin' in the Free World (w/ Dave Grohl) - Melbourne, Australia (3/17/95)

**This puts us at approx. 79:40**

Late last night I put this version together to try it and fix a few minor SQ issues. When you guys finish discussing any further changes that need to be made to the rough draft, I will apply them and send the both of you Version 1 sometime today.

I am going to fix a few more SQ issues with the 2/6/95 songs (too loud, getting drum distortion) this morning and I will check back periodically throughout the day.
  • Options
    One thing that I have noticed (and you hear it better with headphones) is that I hears a lot of click sounds during "Leaving Here' we may want to find another version of that song for our compilation. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Late last night I put this version together to try it and fix a few minor SQ issues. When you guys finish discussing any further changes that need to be made to the rough draft, I will apply them and send the both of you Version 1 sometime today.

I am going to fix a few more SQ issues with the 2/6/95 songs (too loud, getting drum distortion) this morning and I will check back periodically throughout the day.

Was listening to it on my way to and back from Court this morning. I was under the impression that the volume was a bit uneven at some point (I think it was Not for you & Whipping). Yet I've listened to it again just now at work and I'm not so sure anymore. Did you notice anything ?
    One thing that I have noticed (and you hear it better with headphones) is that I hears a lot of click sounds during "Leaving Here' we may want to find another version of that song for our compilation. Thoughts?

Oh. I liked this messy one. I may look for another one a bit later on this afternoon and come up with a suggestion. That is, if I stop being interrupted by clients on the phone. Geez. ;)
  • Options
    myra wrote:

Was listening to it on my way to and back from Court this morning. I was under the impression that the volume was a bit uneven at some point (I think it was Not for you & Whipping). Yet I've listened to it again just now at work and I'm not so sure anymore. Did you notice anything ?

Oh. I liked this messy one. I may look for another one a bit later on this afternoon and come up with a suggestion. That is, if I stop being interrupted by clients on the phone. Geez. ;)

I fixed some/most of those sound issues last night, Whipping was one of the songs that I had noticed too. In total I made adjustments to all but 4 songs last and further adjustments this morning. You should notice the changes in version 1.

As for "Leaving Here", I may have jumped the gun and I think that I can fix it so disregard my earlier comments about replacing it. :D (I love that version too)
  • Options

I fixed some/most of those sound issues last night, Whipping was one of the songs that I had noticed too. In total I made adjustments to all but 4 songs last and further adjustments this morning. You should notice the changes in version 1.

As for "Leaving Here", I may have jumped the gun and I think that I can fix it so disregard my earlier comments about replacing it. :D (I love that version too)

Good thing ! Eventually noticed the 'clicks' too :D
    Red Rocks '95 was okay, but couldn't really check the volume issue on that one. A bit 'clean' IMO. Hope you can fix this one.
  • Options
    I think with all the compilations so far it is possible to get a bit 'picky' about imperfect sound, I know I have done, though mainly with the 'official' bootlegs!! :lol: I think we can do our best to improve parts that are really bad, but I think when it's all in the mix together and you get into the emotion of the music, minor imperfections fade into the background.

I am a bit distracted waiting for any news currently, but I listened to the rough draft on the train and walking today. I do think the first two thirds are superb, brilliant - and that maybe we should focus our attention on the pacing and song order and song selection between betterman and 'let my love open the door' - since I think the energy gets too subdued during that section and it's quite hard to keep listening to and get into every song unless you are in the right frame of mind. I think what might help is just breaking into the slow selection with a rockier number for a bit of light relief. I will try and concentrate on that section in a while, and see if any mixing around of the track order seems to help us there. What do you think?