Options

THE WALKING DEAD...and all things zombie

Comments

• Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419

I just Googled. Yes, the boxcar in which they were loaded had a big white A on it.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    also, I found this (it's old, but explains it anyway)

http://undeadwalking.com/2015/03/09/use-letter-walking-dead/

The final episode of The Walking Dead’s fourth season introduced us to the letter ‘A” when it was written on the side of a train car that the group was going to be held in at Terminus during the break. That episode was aptly titled “A”.

At that time, “A” was just a minor thing that seemed like a coincidence. They could have been put into any train car at the supposed sanctuary, but fate had it that the entire group that was imprisoned there was put into the “A” car.

After Carol nearly single handedly took down Terminus, the group moved to Father Gabriel’s church. But they weren’t safe from the letter “A” there, either.

In an effort to taunt the survivors, The Hunters, led by their charismatic frontman Gareth, painted a big red “A” on the side of the church to remind the group that they are just cattle waiting to be slaughtered. Of course, Rick and the gang outsmarted The Hunters and slaughtered them inside the church.

But The Walking Dead wasn’t done with the letter “A” quite yet. In last week’s episode, both Rick Grimes and Jessie got red stamps on their hands from Jessie’s son, Sam. That stamp was of the letter “A”.

As fans of literature know, a red “A” can have a lot of meanings. However, it is apt to think of it more like a reference to “The Scarlet Letter”. In that novel, a person commits adultery and is required to wear a red “A” on her dress as a method of shaming. With the little peck on the cheek that Rick gave Jessie at the party, is this foreshadowing some kind of romantic relationship between these two individuals even though Jessie is currently married?

Of course, it could be something as simple as Sam wanting to stamp the hands of the survivors he likes with the mark of the community that he lives in. As we know, Alexandria starts with the letter “A” after all.

With all the use of the letter “A”, it will be interesting to see if this theme continues after this week’s episode. I’m not sure how much more can be done with that letter. Plus, it will be interesting to see if the letter “A” has something to do with a clash between the letter “W” that is carved onto the heads of some of the walkers.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I had forgotten all about the "A" on the church and Sam stamping "A" on their hands.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options

I had forgotten all about the "A" on the church and Sam stamping "A" on their hands.

so had I.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Still not sure about Enid, is she in with the Wolves...she has left Alexandria.
    What was up with the "A" marking on Carol's house near the end?
    Will have to see if Morgan killed that guy at the end or just knocked him out...hostage?

she said something, which now escapes me, to Carl before he cut her off. it was like she was about to admit something to him.

morgan wouldn't have apologized to the guy if he was just going to knock him out. he now knows that killing is necessary. I think he is going after the wolves now that he knows they have a gun.

is the "A" for Alexandria? or Anarchy?

I thought the A was just the boys stamp for Alexandria but the writers are smarter than that...

Only one gun and they'll probably use up the bullets real soon.

Enid the girl also says "They are just people" which may lead you to believe that her frequent trips into the woods she may have found them?

Who the hell was watching the gate this time? Thought Rick explained that to them already?!?

Man I can't wait until next week!

One thing that I am curious about was the last episode of season 5 when Reg(Deanna's husband) said "we become a civilization when we settle and stop becoming nomads" or something like that.

So, are they going to screw this up too or will they survive and start a new life?
  • Options

Will have to see if Morgan killed that guy at the end or just knocked him out...hostage?

she said something, which now escapes me, to Carl before he cut her off. it was like she was about to admit something to him.

morgan wouldn't have apologized to the guy if he was just going to knock him out. he now knows that killing is necessary. I think he is going after the wolves now that he knows they have a gun.

I thought the A was just the boys stamp for Alexandria but the writers are smarter than that...

Enid the girl also says "They are just people" which may lead you to believe that her frequent trips into the woods she may have found them?

Who the hell was watching the gate this time? Thought Rick explained that to them already?!?

One thing that I am curious about was the last episode of season 5 when Reg(Deanna's husband) said "we become a civilization when we settle and stop becoming nomads" or something like that.

So, are they going to screw this up too or will they survive and start a new life?
    well, with 10,000 walkers heading towards the town, I think Alexandria is done.

now I recall, Enid said "this place is too big to protect, that's how we...." and that's when Carl cut her off. the "we" to me meant that maybe she was about to say "how we have been spying on you" or something to that effect. also, there is a theory that the reason she pauses before going to the gate, but in the end decides to, is that she is reluctant to go through with it.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

now I recall, Enid said "this place is too big to protect, that's how we...." and that's when Carl cut her off. the "we" to me meant that maybe she was about to say "how we have been spying on you" or something to that effect. also, there is a theory that the reason she pauses before going to the gate, but in the end decides to, is that she is reluctant to go through with it.

"They are just people"...

Please comment!!!
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    I get hoarding the walkers is a big job, but man... You leave the B squad to watch and protect that community? Without Carol hanging around, they are all dead.
  • Options

Please comment!!!
    I don't recall the context of that comment. sorry!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rival. said:

I get hoarding the walkers is a big job, but man... You leave the B squad to watch and protect that community? Without Carol hanging around, they are all dead.

yeah, they really should have known better. didn't the same thing happen at the prison?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Carol and Morgan walking past each other at the end... Don't know what to make of that. Part of me thinks it's to show how at odds they were in the episode, with Carol wanting to kill amd with Morgan not wanting to. On the other side, I don't think it's worth looking into. Just two people passing each other, all business like after all hell broke loose.
  • Options
    I'm sorry
    By reading the thread title I thought this was a discussion about the Chicago Cubs.

Carry on.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    mmm, so the A...thats interesting.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options

Please comment!!!
    I don't recall the context of that comment. sorry!
    Carl and Enid were sitting back to back in the kitchen and Carl says "we need to kill them" and

She tells Carl she’s leaving. He says no. She says they’re going to lose, because, “They’re just people. This place is too big too protect. You have too many blindspots. That’s how we were able to–” Then Carl cuts her off.
  • Options
    HOLY SHIT!!! Not spoiling it if you haven't watched yet!!!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938

HOLY SHIT!!! Not spoiling it if you haven't watched yet!!!

forgot this was on, watching the Eagles game.

Did someone die? Last night i had a dream that Maggie died. Her and Glenn were getting away from zombies and glenn climbed this fence with ease and Maggie was like nope and they got her.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Holy Balls! i love and hate this show
  • Options
    SOB...anyway here's to ________....for the people who have not watched yet.

imagedeadyourself photo deadyourself_zpsik9lqiui.jpg" />
  • Options
    Geez! This is upsetting!
  • Options

Geez! This is upsetting!

yes, I am upset!
  • Options
    do you think the other guy was on top of him and he went under the dumpster???? He was not in the memorandum on Talking Dead
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

do you think the other guy was on top of him and he went under the dumpster???? He was not in the memorandum on Talking Dead

I know. Could it have been Nicholas's entrails? But how could Glen get out of that situation? On The Talking Dead there was a statement from Scott Gimple and he was very vague. He said something like Glen will be back in one way or another....... flashback, alive, walker?
  • Options
  • Options
    I didn't read the link above yet....but i woke up this morning thinking about it..., b/c of the ref to Glenn calling Rick his endearing name from episode 2 maybe he is going to use the entrails to fool the zombies again....there was a fence behind the dumpster and it had a ton of walkers over there, but there was also a staircase they ran right by. It had something laying over the entrance to them...but while they were on the dumpster I was yelling at the tv that they missed the stairs...

Yes, this is upsetting but I have hope!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    Sprunkn7 said:

I didn't read the link above yet....but i woke up this morning thinking about it..., b/c of the ref to Glenn calling Rick his endearing name from episode 2 maybe he is going to use the entrails to fool the zombies again....there was a fence behind the dumpster and it had a ton of walkers over there, but there was also a staircase they ran right by. It had something laying over the entrance to them...but while they were on the dumpster I was yelling at the tv that they missed the stairs...

Yes, this is upsetting but I have hope!

i don't think anyone read the link (didn't work, :lol: )

yeah i have my doubts he died. I think it was Nicholas' guts and all they were eating after he fell on top of Glenn. That would have been a shitty way to die cause of that dumbass

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    alive & well.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I think they made it pretty clear that Glen's guts weren't being eaten, otherwise they would have shown that. Pretty certain it was the other dude. That said, I still don't know how he'd be able to get out of that situation. You have a 170 lb dude on you, surrounded by dozens of zombies. Even if you push the guy off, you'd think at least one of those zombies would try to take a bit of him.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    yeah was thinking the same, Nicholas on top of him, but damn the way they were talking during the TD, he was gone- all three people agreed.
    They also mentioned that they had to follow the story line of the cartoon... something to that effect.

only thing i can see is that, Morgan (who seems to be out on his own during the next episode), will return and replace Glenn keeping Rick and Carol in check....ensuring some form of decency remains in a f-up world.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    mca47 said:

I think they made it pretty clear that Glen's guts weren't being eaten, otherwise they would have shown that. Pretty certain it was the other dude. That said, I still don't know how he'd be able to get out of that situation. You have a 170 lb dude on you, surrounded by dozens of zombies. Even if you push the guy off, you'd think at least one of those zombies would try to take a bit of him.

i assume he will walk out of there undetected, covered in blood & guts like him and rick did in season one. but what's interesting is... in season one, they covered themselves in walker blood... here, he is covered in blood by someone that didn't turn yet. so, the question is... does it matter? everyone is infected and the infection is in the blood. would someone be able to cover themselves in any old blood (walker or not) and go undetected by walkers, since everyone technically has the infection?

maybe i am looking into it too much and he pulls of some acrobatic stunt off the dumpster and goes up that staircase/fire escape thing they passed just before being trapped up against the fence.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    **possible spoiler alert**

and the references to rick's injured hand? foreshadowing for a possible amputation? loses his hand in a much different fashion in the comics, wonder if they are setting it up for him to lose it to keep a little consistency with the character between the show and comics?
    Post edited by rival. on