Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,502
    pjhawks wrote:
    unless you get to finals and beat St. Louis.

Already did. On the road.

he will be proven right in the long run.

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,302
    pjhawks wrote:

yup just like eagles vs. giants defense discussion we had. how did that work out for you???

if/when i am wrong i'll admit it. we'll see sunday night won't we?
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

apparantly reading comprehension is not a strong suit since i said you wouldn't get any big wins IN THE A10 TOURNY unless you get to the finals and beat St. Louis.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,761
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

apparantly reading comprehension is not a strong suit since i said you wouldn't get any big wins IN THE A10 TOURNY unless you get to the finals and beat St. Louis.

My point is the resume is plenty strong enough already, even with a quarterfinals loss in A-10, for a 6 seed.

Sorry, you're obviously bitter that your team couldn't beat St. Bonaventure. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

yup just like eagles vs. giants defense discussion we had. how did that work out for you???

if/when i am wrong i'll admit it. we'll see sunday night won't we?

ha. yeah you still haven't even made a coherent argument for that. every time i ask you to explain your point, you stop replying....which is fairly typical behavior of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ha. yeah you still haven't even made a coherent argument for that. every time i ask you to explain your point, you stop replying....which is fairly typical behavior of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. :lol:

even a team winning the Super Bowl can't make the guy admit he was wrong. how sad.
  • Options

Sorry, you're obviously bitter that your team couldn't beat St. Bonaventure. :lol:

again reading comprehension...the comments were regarding a 3 or 4 seed not a 6. i said they will be 5-7.

and the owls would be looking at a 4 seed if they hadn't gotten their ass kicked by the hawks 9 days ago.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

again reading comprehension...the comments were regarding a 3 or 4 seed not a 6. i said they will be 5-7.

and the owls would be looking at a 4 seed if they hadn't gotten their ass kicked by the hawks 9 days ago.

We shall see. I'm glad that game made your season. Now you can watch a real team play on in March.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

even a team winning the Super Bowl can't make the guy admit he was wrong. how sad.

how does that affect how their defense played in the regular season? do you have any other argument other than "they won the super bowl?" giants fans have even told you they were not good until they got healthy and made a run in late december.

did you think the st louis cardinals were the best team in baseball leading up to october last year too?

sorry but johnny's point about the "lazy sports fan" applies to you here too.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,833
    pjhawks wrote:

how does that affect how their defense played in the regular season? do you have any other argument other than "they won the super bowl?" giants fans have even told you they were not good until they got healthy and made a run in late december.

did you think the st louis cardinals were the best team in baseball leading up to october last year too?

He's got to be a regular caller on WIP's morning show. Gotta be.
  • Options

He is exactly who I was talking about, obviously. "It's all Cliff Lee's fault!" :roll: (this goes along with "Cliff Lee is only good in certain months")

Ok, this is the Big 5 thread, right?

But hey, the Hawks beat Charlotte, maybe they can beat the Bonnies this time...

• Options
    jconn12jconn12 Posts: 5
    Temple fans are such haters. Just need to get in the hawks face about how much better they are post-Jameer era. You are blessed and fortunate to have Dunph while were stuck with Phil who is literally sleeping on the job. The fact that ron roberts comes off the bench is a travesty. Guarantee he's the A 10 player of the year next year and he absolutely bodied michael eric and lee in the field house the other week and Id look for the same thing come saturday(were gona stomp out the bonnies). Going to be a great match up with a palestra like atmosphere and I hope the temple fans will admit sju was the better team come saturday (when) if we win as oppose to blaming it on bad calls like the other week.
  • Options
    granted it was against rutgers and they very well might lose tonight but that was the best this nova team has looked all year. took awhile but it's about time.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Here we go Explorers!!! Next up is Majerus. Temple won't have the chance to beat St. Louis becuase they won't be there. I've got to figure out a way to leave work early to get to the game by 6:30 Friday. Good luck boys unless you get in the Explorer's way ;) .
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

He is exactly who I was talking about, obviously. "It's all Cliff Lee's fault!" :roll: (this goes along with "Cliff Lee is only good in certain months")

Ok, this is the Big 5 thread, right?

But hey, the Hawks beat Charlotte, maybe they can beat the Bonnies this time...

ummm our stud pitcher had a 4 run lead and lost it. for only the 3rd time in his career. THAT GAME was Cliff's fault. no ifs ands or buts about that. can't believe anyone could argue that. hell even Cliff himself admits he blew it. maybe having the guy's jersey prevents you from criticizing him even in an obvious situation?

and i'm really hoping Fran can get career tourny win #3. i know most of his games were as an Ivy league team and it's hard for IVY league teams to win the NCAAs...oh wait :lol: he has beaten Nebraska and Penn St. in the NCAAs though...if only this were football.

and not sure why this became me against everyone else because I said I didn't think Temple was getting a 4th seed...as usual we shall see and unlike most of you on here i will admit when i'm wrong. i know it's hard for you guys to do that...must be all those fruity beers you drink.
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Here we go Explorers!!! Next up is Majerus. Temple won't have the chance to beat St. Louis becuase they won't be there. I've got to figure out a way to leave work early to get to the game by 6:30 Friday. Good luck boys unless you get in the Explorer's way ;) .

that was a really good win for LaSalle last night. Richmond had been playing good ball. I think you guys got a shot against St. Louis just have to make shots against a pretty solid defensive team. that side of the bracket could be wide open too. Xavier looks lost and I think Dayton is taking them out.
  • Options
    I love how he just assumes I have a Cliff Lee jersey. The last jersey I bought was Curt Schilling in 1994, when I was in high school. :lol: Your shallow analysis reflects your lack of understanding of pretty much all sports.

I don't hate SJU at all. I'd actually be happy for them if they made the tourney, as long as it's not at Temple's expense.

Also, you didn't just say "Temple isn't getting a 4 seed". You were talking about 7 or 8 seeds, which just ain't gonna happen dude. This is a ranked team with, need I say it again, an RPI of 13. Lowest seed they will get would be a 6, which as I said would not bother me since it presents an easier path to a deep run than a 4 or 5 seed.

We have to add another rule to pjhawks's "Rules of Sports": Never discuss the officiating of a game, because the size of the strike zone or home court bias couldn't possibly affect the result of the game.

I'm going to make a thread of this. :lol:

• Options
    I think all you guys need to get together in AC this weekend and hug it out. The AC convention serves these giant beers for a fairly resonable price.

My firends and I got into it with a guy from press row last year while TU was kicking LU's ass in AC. We were sitting on the floor and this guy came back to his seat while the game is on and just stood there and took forever to take his coat off and sit down. I said, "Yo, sit down already" and he turned around and just stared before he sat down. We through a few verbal jabs back and forth but it was entertaining to us because Aaric Murray wanted to be a guard that didn't play defense. Later, one of his superiors tlked to this guy and he came over to apologize to us. HAHA.

I think it would be a stretch for TU to get a 4 seed. What seeds would SJU and LU get if they win the tourney?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I think all you guys need to get together in AC this weekend and hug it out. The AC convention serves these giant beers for a fairly resonable price.

My firends and I got into it with a guy from press row last year while TU was kicking LU's ass in AC. We were sitting on the floor and this guy came back to his seat while the game is on and just stood there and took forever to take his coat off and sit down. I said, "Yo, sit down already" and he turned around and just stared before he sat down. We through a few verbal jabs back and forth but it was entertaining to us because Aaric Murray wanted to be a guard that didn't play defense. Later, one of his superiors tlked to this guy and he came over to apologize to us. HAHA.

I think it would be a stretch for TU to get a 4 seed. What seeds would SJU and LU get if they win the tourney?

Not according to this guy: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_glockner/03/05/Bracket.Watch/index.html?sct=hp_t12_a4&eref=sihp

12 or 13 I would think. Are auto qualifiers exempt from those Dayton play-in games?

• Options
    Ok, gotta have another bracket ramble...

Potential 1st round opponents (11/12/13 seeds):
    Long Beach St.: don't know much about
    VCU: scary - they can easily match Temple's experience (probably exceed I guess)
    Seton Hall: they blow, bring 'em on
    Davidson: we should be able to beat them, right?
    Harvard: uh oh - another Cornell?
    Miss St.: don't think this would be a problem
    SD St: 13 seed, really?
    Washington: same as Seton Hall
    Xavier: we'd blow them out again
    Northwestern: nice story but they can't compete with the Owls
    BYU: um - I don't know
    Drexel: scary - those big guys down low would give Eric lots of trouble

• Options
    I love how he just assumes I have a Cliff Lee jersey. The last jersey I bought was Curt Schilling in 1994, when I was in high school. :lol: Your shallow analysis reflects your lack of understanding of pretty much all sports.

I don't hate SJU at all. I'd actually be happy for them if they made the tourney, as long as it's not at Temple's expense.

Also, you didn't just say "Temple isn't getting a 4 seed". You were talking about 7 or 8 seeds, which just ain't gonna happen dude. This is a ranked team with, need I say it again, an RPI of 13. Lowest seed they will get would be a 6, which as I said would not bother me since it presents an easier path to a deep run than a 4 or 5 seed.

We have to add another rule to pjhawks's "Rules of Sports": Never discuss the officiating of a game, because the size of the strike zone or home court bias couldn't possibly affect the result of the game.

notice how he stopped talking about that stupid giants debate after i asked him to support his statement again? (not that i want to discuss it in this thread, just pointing it out)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    notice how he stopped talking about that stupid giants debate after i asked him to support his statement again? (not that i want to discuss it in this thread, just pointing it out)

He'll be proven right in the end. Like how the Flyers plummeted after they traded Jeff Carter. :lol::lol::lol:

• Options

below is exactly what i wrote. now you please tell me where i talked about them getting an 8. what part of "WILL AVOID THE 8-9 GAME" was hard to understand? jeezus

"there is zero chance of temple getting to a 3 seed and only a very small chance of getting to a 4. they aren't moving up to the top 12-16 in the country by the end of this week. no more chances for top 25 wins in the A10 to help their case. best seed is 5, but most likely a 6 or 7. even if they lose before the finals I think they will avoid the 8-9 game. 8-9 game is a disaster for a team with sweet 16 aspirations."
  • Options

cleary the worst part of an 8-8 team was better than a super bowl champion :lol: . good god man just stop and admit you were wrong 4 months ago.

and how did that albert haynesworth signing for 2 teams work out for ya?
  • Options
    Owls are 5 seed in Lunardi (as of yesterday), 4 seed in si.com, #13 in yahoo s-curve (damn close to a 3 seed).

• Options
    Finally back to basketball talk. Now, where is Manning going? :mrgreen:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Finally back to basketball talk. Now, where is Manning going? :mrgreen:

Gotta get out of office for a couple hours Friday to watch UMass vs. Owls. That PG Chaz Williams (I think) is amazing.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

cleary the worst part of an 8-8 team was better than a super bowl champion :lol: . good god man just stop and admit you were wrong 4 months ago.

and how did that albert haynesworth signing for 2 teams work out for ya?

incapable of arguing your point after all this time? maybe you should just stop bringing it up then.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

He'll be proven right in the end. Like how the Flyers plummeted after they traded Jeff Carter. :lol::lol::lol:

umm 1st place in the division and 2nd in conference last year...this year...umm not at this point so uhh not a plummet but not quite as good yet. umm facts. try again.

and no one on the team has scored the 37 regular season goals that carter did last year YET (hartnell should get there but we shall see) and JVR is no where near the 35-40 a bunch of you guys on here (i'd have to search exactly who said that) said he would...facts...try again.
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    pjhawks wrote:

umm 1st place in the division and 2nd in conference last year...this year...umm not at this point so uhh not a plummet but not quite as good yet. umm facts. try again.

and no one on the team has scored the 37 regular season goals that carter did last year YET (hartnell should get there but we shall see) and JVR is no where near the 35-40 a bunch of you guys on here (i'd have to search exactly who said that) said he would...facts...try again.
    Does it matter if a guy has 37 goals on a team if the team he left
    leads the league in goals scored ?

They have more balanced scoring now

JVR has been injured for just about half the season
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers