pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,300
    pjhawks wrote:
    Johnny:
    I believe...
    I believe that we're alive
    i believe that we're alive
    i believe that we're alive
    the Hawk will never Die.

great chant by the Hawks students saturday in response to Temple's funeral last year and Temple students chanting their stolen from Utah St. I believe we will win chant.

Hawks played with passion and energy that has been missing at times this year, including last wednesday against Richmond. great win for the Hawks ending the owls winning streaks. was a fun night in Hagan. puts Hawks as one of Lunardi's last 4 in. Long way to go though. One more A10 game at the Bonnies wednesday night which is a must win for a bye in the tourny for the Hawks and to keep ncca hopes alive. still think we are only a decent shot at getting an at-large bid but at least we have moved into the conversation.

got a feeling the hawks and owls might be seeing in each other in the semi-finals in AC. that would be wild

Good win for you guys - nice that you stayed on the bubble. ;)

You guys shot 3-pointers great, and got plenty of help from obviously biased officiating. The one foul on Fernandez (his 4th) he never touched the guy. That said the Hawks definitely played a great game and clearly enjoy a nice home court advantage in that place.

Ramon Moore was supposed to straighten up after nearly costing us the LaSalle game with a ridiculous technical foul, and quite the contrary made some real boneheaded plays like the absurd foul on the breakaway to give up a 3-point play. He needs to get it together.

I was really hurt by the "Overrated" and "Na na good bye" chants. Really original. :lol:

Stole from Utah St? All SJU can do is steal from teams in their own city. And 'I believe the Hawk is Dead" is purely a Temple creation I am sure.

Think this game will help the Owls in the long run by getting them refocused for the A-10 & NCAA tourneys. It was a good week of Big 5 games.

yes the 'I believe we will win' chat was stolen from Utah State. You tube it.

never understood the overrated chant. puts down your own team winning by saying the other team is overrated. makes no sense.

complaining about the officiating...how original. take your beating like a man. fernandez and wyatt whined like little girls after every call. it's was brutal how much they whined. no clue how they weren't T'd up at least once. and they were fouls. and before you make any comments my hawks have 2 guys that whine on every call as well(jones and kanacevic) but we've been T'd up like 7 times this year.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I didn't watch the game but I was following @philahoops on twitter and they were saying that a lot of weak fouls were being called on Temple, ticky tack stuff. Take that for what it's worth.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,757
    pjhawks wrote:

never understood the overrated chant. puts down your own team winning by saying the other team is overrated. makes no sense.

complaining about the officiating...how original. take your beating like a man. fernandez and wyatt whined like little girls after every call. it's was brutal how much they whined. no clue how they weren't T'd up at least once. and they were fouls. and before you make any comments my hawks have 2 guys that whine on every call as well(jones and kanacevic) but we've been T'd up like 7 times this year.

Our chant is "I believe that WE HAVE WON."

Some of the calls on Fernandez in particular were just absurd. He should've been whining. Actually thought the Owls hung in there considering everybody had 4 fouls and they weren't allowed to play defense.

Hope the refs are better in the Big East. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    This loss maybe drops Temple to a 6-seed, which I think actually presents an easier path to a deep run than a 4/5 seed. Probably should win out since Owls tend to be underseeded.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Our chant is "I believe that WE HAVE WON."

Some of the calls on Fernandez in particular were just absurd. He should've been whining. Actually thought the Owls hung in there considering everybody had 4 fouls and they weren't allowed to play defense.

Hope the refs are better in the Big East. :roll:

temple has never lost a game to the hawks...it's always the refs fault :roll:

agree 6 seed is much better than a 4 or 5. and at least one 3 seed always loses in the 1st round so a chance you end up with an 14 in the 2nd round. i can't see temple falling further than a 7 though even if lose in the A10 tourny. you should stay in the 20-28 ranking range.
  • Options
    Temple 25th in new coaches poll, 2 spots ahead of 27th ranked Drexel. :o

Down to 6 seed in new bracketology. 8-)

Just need to take care of business against the riffraff this week (UMass & Fordham).

• Options
    Looked like a crazy night yesterday. LaSalle did their best to blow another late lead. The A-10 tourney should be entertaining to say the least.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Looked like a crazy night yesterday. LaSalle did their best to blow another late lead. The A-10 tourney should be entertaining to say the least.

I got trapped at work and couldn't go last night, but watched most of it on the internet. Owls really escaped and it seemed like the officiating was pretty friendly (the opposite of Saturday). 5-0 in OT this year - they are the anti-Flyers. :lol:

• Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

I got trapped at work and couldn't go last night, but watched most of it on the internet. Owls really escaped and it seemed like the officiating was pretty friendly (the opposite of Saturday). 5-0 in OT this year - they are the anti-Flyers. :lol:

saw on the hawks message board that dunph is 12-1 in ot games at Temple. that's crazy.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    saw on the hawks message board that dunph is 12-1 in ot games at Temple. that's crazy.

Last night was impressive considering they were down 6 with 2 minutes to go in OT.

That one OT loss was to San Diego St. in the 2nd round last year. :evil:

So I guess the Hawks figured the win over Temple was good enough to end their season with. :lol:

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Last night was impressive considering they were down 6 with 2 minutes to go in OT.

That one OT loss was to San Diego St. in the 2nd round last year. :evil:

So I guess the Hawks figured the win over Temple was good enough to end their season with. :lol:

choked. had 6 point lead with 2 minutes left and needed a desperation call and 2 foul shots as time expired to tie it up and get it to overtime, then a 6 point lead with 20 seconds left in ot. coaches not fouling up 3 with under 10 seconds left drives me insane. we didn't foul and nicholson buried a 3 to tie it in overtime. bonnies made 8 of their last 10 3s in the game. even with all our foul troubles last night blaming refs is a losers lament :D hopefully see you in the semis on saturday afternoon
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    even with all our foul troubles last night blaming refs is a losers lament :D

You may notice I thank biased refs for aiding my team in victory as well. Wait, you probably didn't. :lol:

• Options
    LaSalle can't finish worse than 8th, so they'll have a home game vs. either Duquense or Richmond. It be nice to get to 20 wins for the 1st time since 91-92
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    good lord nova didn't blow another bit lead last night. :o

right now they'd play st johns in the first round of b.e. tourney with cinci waiting in round 2. got a shot to win a couple games up there which would be nice.

they're also in the mix for this allerik freeman cat in the 2013 class. top 25 rated shooting guard. down to them and kansas it seems...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ok. Please Explorers, can you win tomorrow night to make my AC trip this weekend more enjoyable. It pisses me off thinking that if they had beat Fordham, they'd have the 4 possibly the 3 seed. I guess everyone has their hiccup game though.

I'll be at TGA to see Richmond go down and then it's on to AC to kick Majerus' ass.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Ok. Please Explorers, can you win tomorrow night to make my AC trip this weekend more enjoyable. It pisses me off thinking that if they had beat Fordham, they'd have the 4 possibly the 3 seed. I guess everyone has their hiccup game though.

I'll be at TGA to see Richmond go down and then it's on to AC to kick Majerus' ass.

same with the Hawks. gonna be seriously pissed if they lose tomorrow to Charlotte. If they win then friday afternoon double header Temple_Umass (hopefully) and Hawks-St. Bonaventure.

and i hope Drexel wins tonight as I don't think they are getting a bid if they lose even though I think they should. 19 straight wins in a decent league should get you a bid. and I think they are as good as or better than half the Big East teams that might get bids this year.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    and i hope Drexel wins tonight as I don't think they are getting a bid if they lose even though I think they should. 19 straight wins in a decent league should get you a bid. and I think they are as good as or better than half the Big East teams that might get bids this year.

I enjoyed watching the first two Drexel games this weekend. I understand the SoS & RPI, but if Drexel loses and loses their bid to, say, Seton Hall, it will be a travesty. They are a really good team.

If it's Temple vs. UMass on Friday set your DVR. That last game was a barnburner.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

same with the Hawks. gonna be seriously pissed if they lose tomorrow to Charlotte. If they win then friday afternoon double header Temple_Umass (hopefully) and Hawks-St. Bonaventure.and i hope Drexel wins tonight as I don't think they are getting a bid if they lose even though I think they should. 19 straight wins in a decent league should get you a bid. and I think they are as good as or better than half the Big East teams that might get bids this year.

Do they have the slots on Friday already set?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

same with the Hawks. gonna be seriously pissed if they lose tomorrow to Charlotte. If they win then friday afternoon double header Temple_Umass (hopefully) and Hawks-St. Bonaventure.and i hope Drexel wins tonight as I don't think they are getting a bid if they lose even though I think they should. 19 straight wins in a decent league should get you a bid. and I think they are as good as or better than half the Big East teams that might get bids this year.

Do they have the slots on Friday already set?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stj ... racket.pdf

yes. Number 1 seed always plays at Noon in the quarterfinals. so Temple plays friday at noon. Hawks (hopefully) would be 2:30. lasalle would be 6:30.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will have to leave work early on Friday. Good luck to you.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,265
    I still think Drexel should be added into the "Big 5"
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

I was talking to Neil Hartman from Comcast the other day about college basketball and the topic of Drexel and the Big 5 schools came up. He said that Bruiser went to all the schools and asked about setting up a contracts to play them. He wanted a 2 for 1 deal, 2 games at Big 5 school and 1 at Drexel. Everyone turned him down except St. Joe's I believe. Of all the schools, I would think LaSalle would play them because their non-conference schedule isn't that strong. I know they use to play them.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

I was talking to Neil Hartman from Comcast the other day about college basketball and the topic of Drexel and the Big 5 schools came up. He said that Bruiser went to all the schools and asked about setting up a contracts to play them. He wanted a 2 for 1 deal, 2 games at Big 5 school and 1 at Drexel. Everyone turned him down except St. Joe's I believe. Of all the schools, I would think LaSalle would play them because their non-conference schedule isn't that strong. I know they use to play them.

Temple played Drexel, home-and-home I believe, during its down years 2006, 07 maybe. Drexel actually won at Temple in Dunph's first year I think. But generally Temple treats Drexel like a welfare case, looking for games with Kansas, Texas & Duke. Maybe if we got those MAC games off the schedule there'd be room for a game with Drexel. Also might be able to play a CAA team if the schedule includes 18 Big East games.

• Options
    Looking at Lunardi's bracket, I think Temple would benefit from dropping to a 6 seed - the 5 seed is kind of a worst-case scenario. Moving up to 4 would be a little better. I'd say lose in the first round which would perhaps drop them to 6. The other side is winning the tourney; maybe it would move them up to a 3 seed. I kind of doubt this, especially since the committee habitually ignores the Sunday afternoon A-10 championship game in setting up the bracket. It was better when they played it on Saturday right before the Big East champ.

That was my random bracket ramble for the day. :lol:

• Options
    Looking at Lunardi's bracket, I think Temple would benefit from dropping to a 6 seed - the 5 seed is kind of a worst-case scenario. Moving up to 4 would be a little better. I'd say lose in the first round which would perhaps drop them to 6. The other side is winning the tourney; maybe it would move them up to a 3 seed. I kind of doubt this, especially since the committee habitually ignores the Sunday afternoon A-10 championship game in setting up the bracket. It was better when they played it on Saturday right before the Big East champ.

there is zero chance of temple getting to a 3 seed and only a very small chance of getting to a 4. they aren't moving up to the top 12-16 in the country by the end of this week. no more chances for top 25 wins in the A10 to help their case. best seed is 5, but most likely a 6 or 7. even if they lose before the finals I think they will avoid the 8-9 game. 8-9 game is a disaster for a team with sweet 16 aspirations.
  • Options
    Any one else heading down to AC this weekend?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

there is zero chance of temple getting to a 3 seed and only a very small chance of getting to a 4. they aren't moving up to the top 12-16 in the country by the end of this week. no more chances for top 25 wins in the A10 to help their case. best seed is 5, but most likely a 6 or 7. even if they lose before the finals I think they will avoid the 8-9 game. 8-9 game is a disaster for a team with sweet 16 aspirations.

I thought you knew college hoops (unlike every other sport). Yahoo has Temple 13th in the s-curve. 13th is also their RPI. SI has Temple as a 4 seed. Lunardi has them as a 5 seed. 6 seed is the lowest they could drop to I believe, although it's not the worst case scenario as I said. I think being their 5th straight year in the tourney they won't be under-seeded like in 2010. Last year they seemed to get a fair draw, finally.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

I thought you knew college hoops (unlike every other sport). Yahoo has Temple 13th in the s-curve. 13th is also their RPI. SI has Temple as a 4 seed. Lunardi has them as a 5 seed. 6 seed is the lowest they could drop to I believe, although it's not the worst case scenario as I said. I think being their 5th straight year in the tourney they won't be under-seeded like in 2010. Last year they seemed to get a fair draw, finally.

like most others sports i'll be proven right in the long run. and boy you sure have a lot of excuses for losing...refs, wrong seed, etc. either way i'd be very surprised if they get a 4th seed. don't see it happening no matter what their RPI is. A10 isn't providing Temple with any great wins in the tourny unless you get to finals and beat St. Louis.
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Any one else heading down to AC this weekend?

heading down friday afternoon for the double header. not sure whether staying down there friday night or not. probably do some gambling and head back home friday night instead of watching the other double header. still have to work out some plans for saturday and sunday but imagine if the Hawks get to those days i'll find a way to make it down there on those days as well.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    unless you get to finals and beat St. Louis.

Already did. On the road.