Options

Worst support act you've seen?

Comments

• Options
    The Mars Volta opening for RHCP. Awful awful "sound". It was just a wall of noise. Sounded like 8 guys playing 8 different songs at the same time for the whole set. Fans of the band later told me "you have to KNOW the music beforehand to get it live". Bullshit. Translation: they suck ballz live.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I am one of those that checks something out when a songwriter I admire suggests them, and that includes Ed and the boys. If for no other reason that I just assume I must like what he does, since I love everything he writes, but it doesn't work that way. I just don't seem to like ANYTHING he likes. I don't care for The Who, I don't care for Ben Harper, I like Uncle Neil's music but HATE his voice, so I can't say I like anything else he's ever said he likes. 8-)
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    Ben Harper sucked balls before PJ at Hyde Park IMHO. He's not the worst but one of the most boring.

i agree. I honestly think Ben Harpers fanbase would be about 6 people if it wasnt for the PJ seal of approval... if members of PJ told their 'fans' that they liked Nigerian trumpeter Kino Von Basske his sales would probably increase by some 179% so that people on here could 'like' the same things as Ed
    I have no opinion towards Ben Harper either way, but it's pretty true that people here seem to jump on bandwagons for bands that Ed likes. And, God forbid you don't...
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Paul David wrote:
    The Mars Volta opening for RHCP. Awful awful "sound". It was just a wall of noise. Sounded like 8 guys playing 8 different songs at the same time for the whole set. Fans of the band later told me "you have to KNOW the music beforehand to get it live". Bullshit. Translation: they suck ballz live.
    If you don't really understand Prog Rock, you will not understand the Mars Volta.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Paul David wrote:
    If you don't really understand Prog Rock, you will not understand the Mars Volta.

agreed. the mars volta are a difficult band to hear for the first time in a live setting and enjoy.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Paul David wrote:

They don't suck live. They've toned that shit back the last few tours and are playin actual songs. What they pull off live is generally pretty amazing.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    DewieCox wrote:
    Paul David wrote:

They don't suck live. They've toned that shit back the last few tours and are playin actual songs. What they pull off live is generally pretty amazing.

i agree.

the first time i saw TMV live i thought WTF! then i stepped back and gave them a chance cause i knew i liked them. the next time i saw them live i understood it. and it was awesome... for me. and thats all that matters. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,840
    Possibly Sleater-Kinney opening for Pearl Jam in 2003. Can't get past Corin's voice.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Can't get past Corin's voice.
    With all the SK love PJ fans have, I thought I was the only one who thought this. That version of Hunger Strike they did with PJ was fucking excruciating.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Tame Impala opening for MGMT this year was pretty bad. Their show was 30 mins of unnecessary reverb and echo.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Tame Impala opening for MGMT this year was pretty bad. Their show was 30 mins of unnecessary reverb and echo.
    I have not heard of this band, but I can see that someone may dig this, even if you don't. Perry Farrel is amazing and has made a whole career out of it.
  • Options
    crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    kenye west (U2)
    Melt-Banana (tool)
    the cows (primus)
    the frogs (pearl jam) i dug them, but they damn near got boo'd off stage in bible belt. go figure huh.
    gnarls barkley (r.h.c.p.)
    helmet (rollins band)
  • Options
    crowes74 wrote:
    helmet (rollins band)

Helmet??

Helmet kicked serious ass when I saw them... Of course, the "band" is just a revolving door around Page Hamilton, so maybe I just caught a good lineup. Also, the Dub Trio opened and I dig them too.
  • Options
    EZ1221C wrote:
    I have not heard of this band, but I can see that someone may dig this, even if you don't. Perry Farrel is amazing and has made a whole career out of it.
    I'm confused as to your point. Tame Impala has nothing to do with Perry Farrell.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    EZ1221C wrote:
    EZ1221C wrote:
    I'm confused as to your point. Tame Impala has nothing to do with Perry Farrell.

Perry Farrell has made a career out using his voice drenched in reverb.
    This other band, who I stated I have never heard, sound like they might be trying for a similar psychedelic '60's kinda vibe, or a Sonic Youth kinda vibe and thus may me relevant to people into '60's psych or art-rock and the like.

I don't even know if this makes sense to me. If you don't get it, fuck it, don't worry about it, this is my 7th 12 hour night duty in a row-I'm probably on planet zonk right now :)
  • Options
    LexorLexor Posts: 69
    I honestly don't know the name of the band, but whoever opened for Dead Weather on their most recent small club tour....yeah they were terrible.

Also, 30 Seconds to Mars. Awful band; don't know why the hell they were opening for Audioslave. About 45 mins of my life I wish I could have back. I remember Jared Leto running through the crowd like a dbag hoping to wake up the few people who were watching. We all just stood there and looked at him like he was a fuckin idiot.

Do you mean The Ettes? I thought they were a good straightforward rock band. The singer's voice is unique too.
    "I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks." -Stone
  • Options
    Perry Farrell has made a career out using his voice drenched in reverb.
    This other band, who I stated I have never heard, sound like they might be trying for a similar psychedelic '60's kinda vibe, or a Sonic Youth kinda vibe and thus may me relevant to people into '60's psych or art-rock and the like.

I don't even know if this makes sense to me. If you don't get it, fuck it, don't worry about it, this is my 7th 12 hour night duty in a row-I'm probably on planet zonk right now :)
    Na it makes sense, but they were definitely not going for a '60's vibe, or art rock. Their studio stuff is pretty good, nothing like live, and certainly not art rock. It's just they went overboard on the echo to the point were it was almost unbearable.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I thought Ted Leo and the Pharmacists were pretty terrible opening for PJ in 2008
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Tomahawk opening for TOOL were horrible but when I saw Sonic Youth opening for PJ, they made my ears hurt.

MELT-BANANA is the group of talentless noise makers that opened for Tool when I saw them in 2007. I had to go wait outside the arena until they were done . . . . they were that bad.
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    seems from reading this thread Tool has a never ending parade of shit bands opening up for them
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    Tomahawk opening for TOOL were horrible but when I saw Sonic Youth opening for PJ, they made my ears hurt.

I love Tomahawk. I would have went to that show just to see them rip into God Hates a Coward and Capt. Midnight. Those songs kick all kinds of ass. Then again, I actually like Sonic Youth too. :)
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    seems from reading this thread Tool has a never ending parade of shit bands opening up for them
    It appears so. I'm not even sure Melt-Banana could be classified as music. If so, I'm heading down to the local sawmill with a tape deck so I can get to work on my new album.

So Tool's odd choice of opening bands leads me to believe . . .

1) They are showing support for bands that they think are creative

or

2) They don't want anyone to show them up
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    mbangel10 wrote:

I love Tomahawk. I would have went to that show just to see them rip into God Hates a Coward and Capt. Midnight. Those songs kick all kinds of ass. Then again, I actually like Sonic Youth too. :)
    I love Sonic Youth!! :D They're probably one of the best live acts I've seen and though you can be a fan of their recorded works sometimes they probably seem unbearable live and one of my mates thought they were just an expensive piss-break! Tomahawk's two albums I have are superb but anything with Mike Patton can be a bit of a challenge onstage if you're not familiar with him or just a Faith No More fan. Some of the bands on this thread I've never heard but it's funny to hear your opinions.

Other bad ones on my list that spring to mind:
    Elbow, Tim Burgess, Paul Samson's Empire, Auf De Maur, Squeeze, The Answer, King Of The Hill and Nuclear Assault! :?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Fiction Plane opening for The Police in 2007. Saves The Day opening for Green Day in 2002.

Take your pick.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    mc rut

opened for aic and i don't understand why they did

woulda much rather seen aic play for 3 hours
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Saw Little Fish mentioned who supported Alice In Chains in the UK last year who I thought were pretty good in Nottingham.

But Tarantula AD, supported Pearl Jam in Prague are definitely the worst. So bad they changed their name after that show and threw spare unsold CD's off the stage. Just for a few to be thrown back as I remember!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,984
    Wilco opening for Neil Young.
    Ted Leo and the Pharmacists opening for Pearl Jam.
    Kayne West opening for The Rolling Stones.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938
    demetrios wrote:

0.jpg
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    veddertown wrote:
    mbangel10 wrote:

I love Sonic Youth!! :D They're probably one of the best live acts I've seen and though you can be a fan of their recorded works sometimes they probably seem unbearable live and one of my mates thought they were just an expensive piss-break! Tomahawk's two albums I have are superb but anything with Mike Patton can be a bit of a challenge onstage if you're not familiar with him or just a Faith No More fan. Some of the bands on this thread I've never heard but it's funny to hear your opinions.

Other bad ones on my list that spring to mind:
    Elbow, Tim Burgess, Paul Samson's Empire, Auf De Maur, Squeeze, The Answer, King Of The Hill and Nuclear Assault! :?

Yeah, I can understand not enjoying Tomahawk live if you're not familiar with the music. Imagine if it was Fantomas opening, people would have had conniptions in the crowd. :lol:
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    funny.. i was just trying to remember the name Fantomas whom opened for Tool a few years back.. I was literally just about to search patton until i read the last post!

so yeah.. Fantomas = whales having sex + random guy screaming and spitting

and Flip.. i don't even remember who they opened for.. i know it was at Marist College.. i think it was Everclear that i only went to see because a bunch of friends were going

worst main act?

Vertical Horizon... terrible terrible terrible...
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,984
    arq wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

0.jpg

Yep! It was Sloan, Alice Cooper, Kayne West opening for The Rolling Stones @ the Halifax Commons. Who ever is booking these acts on the same bill should be dragged out into the street and shot!

www.teesforall.com_images_Garfield_Kidding_Orange_Shirt.jpg